PDA

View Full Version : FL-SWAT cops raid home, shoot unarmed man, beat his son and kill his dog.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Because: drugs.

Florida man and his dog shot by SWAT team during pre-dawn no-knock raid

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/howard-bowe/

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL — A man is “fighting for his life” after being shot during a pre-dawn SWAT raid on his home because of suspected drug possession. His son was beaten and his dog was shot to death.

At approximately 6:00 a.m., the Hallandale Police Department’s SWAT team broke through the back door of a local residence because they suspected that the owner possessed prohibited substances.

Precisely what took place inside is not fully known, but the May 8th raid resulted in the homeowner being shot, his son being beaten, and his 13-year-old dog being killed.

The man who was shot was local businessman Howard Bowe. His sister, who lives in the other half of the duplex, said he was unarmed.

“They came in the back door,” said Corneesa Bowe, according to the Sun Sentinel. “Why shoot an unarmed person? Now he’s fighting for his life.”

Mr. Bowe owns Power Auto in Davie, Florida. His family says there is no way the police targeted the right person.

“My concern is really for my brother,” said Corneesa to Local-10. “I mean there’s no reason why they should have shot him. He has a business, an established business. He’s not this big drug dealer like they’re assuming.”

Howard’s 16-year-old son was taken into custody and beaten in the process. He was questioned without a parent or a lawyer.

Neighbor Fred Webb told the Sentinel that Bowe “is an honest man who worked every day” at his business. “I can’t understand it. I hope he’s all right.”

SWAT Officer Michael McKenzie, a 14-year veteran of the department, was the one who pulled the trigger. He is on administrative leave.

It is no surprise that another no-knock raid resulted in violence, given the aggressive nature of these surprise home invasions. Police State USA will monitor this case as more details are revealed.

Anti Federalist
05-16-2014, 10:00 PM
http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Hallandale-Beach-SWAT-300x195.jpg

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/04/20/4207656/art-boston-thanks-620x349.jpg

ChristianAnarchist
05-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Ya, so what else is news. Unfortunately this is becoming so common that it hardly raises an eyebrow anymore...

Anti Federalist
05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Ya, so what else is news. Unfortunately this is becoming so common that it hardly raises an eyebrow anymore...

I've been getting that a lot lately.

I reckon we'll all get jaded to headlines like this in another 10 years or so.

Headline: Boston police round up 10,000 people with tanks, drones and heavily armed SWAT, sent to undisclosed location, no contact allowed.

http://shtfplan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Boston-martial-law3.jpg

jclay2
05-17-2014, 12:39 AM
These stories need to be continually posted because the police have/will be the enforcement of tyranny. Without them, the whole political ponzi falls to pieces. If we can get more people to recognize them for the thugs that they are, we might be able to get to the V for Vendetta moment when the police realize that they can not torment citizens anymore.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:41 AM
These stories need to be continually posted because the police have/will be the enforcement of tyranny. Without them, the whole political ponzi falls to pieces. If we can get more people to recognize them for the thugs that they are, we might be able to get to the V for Vendetta moment when the police realize that they can not torment citizens anymore.

That is precisely why I post them.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-17-2014, 02:02 AM
dupe post.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-17-2014, 02:04 AM

That is precisely why I post them.

Gaia is a forum with a lot of traffic and a lot of younger people. I really don't know if posting there makes a difference or not. I suspect that a lot of the posts are about anime and such, but there are some very intelligent discussions in politics, sociology, etc.

Occam's Banana
05-17-2014, 02:56 AM
“They came in the back door,” said Corneesa Bowe, according to the Sun Sentinel. “Why shoot an unarmed person? Now he’s fighting for his life.”

That is exactly the wrong question. Instead, Bowe ought to be asking, "Why NOT shoot an unarmed person?"
THAT is the question that exposes the ugly dynamics underlying incidents such as this, as illustrated by the following:

SWAT Officer Michael McKenzie, a 14-year veteran of the department, was the one who pulled the trigger. He is on administrative leave.

What disincentive is there for the use of vicious, murderous violence when a (paid or unpaid) vacation - a.k.a. "administrative leave" - is just about always the only thing goonish thugs have to fear as a consequence for their goonish thuggery? So, seriously - why NOT shoot unarmed people? (But people are too befogged with heroic Officer Friendly "protect and serve" bullshit for questions like this to be raised. let alone answered ...)

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Policy was followed.
Officer safety was ensured.
This case is administratively closed.

Not sure if I got all that right. I did however, say the above lines to someone the other day. They did this sort of grimace-grin while nodding their head in acknowledgement.

tod evans
05-17-2014, 03:37 AM
Howard Bowe did this to himself.

mrsat_98
05-17-2014, 04:53 AM
Howard Bowe did this to himself.

Howard did this to his dog and son.

mrsat_98
05-17-2014, 06:03 AM
http://www.policestateusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Hallandale-Beach-SWAT-300x195.jpg

http://images.smh.com.au/2013/04/20/4207656/art-boston-thanks-620x349.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-O-fHvHDo1rA/UObrcJbW5qI/AAAAAAAAC1A/p4CouwTcAr8/s300/mr-rogers-fuck-the-police.jpg

qh4dotcom
05-17-2014, 06:44 AM
I saw a video of this incident and I hate to say this....but maybe Bowe got what he voted for.

95% of people like him voted for Obama, who is the most responsible for continuing the war on drugs....the reason why cops showed up at Bowe's house.

If you support the war on drugs and the corrupt politicians responsible for it, then it is hard for me to feel sorry for you when cops show up at your house looking for drugs.

Despite that, I hope the cops get fired.

JK/SEA
05-17-2014, 07:09 AM
whew, boy i was worried there for a minute until i read they just killed the dog...

well done officers.

tod evans
05-17-2014, 07:11 AM
I saw a video of this incident and I hate to say this....but maybe Bowe got what he voted for.

95% of people like him voted for Obama, who is the most responsible for continuing the war on drugs....the reason why cops showed up at Bowe's house.

If you support the war on drugs and the corrupt politicians responsible for it, then it is hard for me to feel sorry for you when cops show up at your house looking for drugs.

Nothing's going to happen to the brave officers, I watched the newz blurb too and the spokesman chanted the magic incantation of "He feared for his safety"....

phill4paul
05-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Won't be long before S.O.P. for suspected drug dealers will be to simply surround a house, light it up and burn it down. For officer safety.

JK/SEA
05-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Won't be long before S.O.P. for suspected drug dealers will be to simply surround a house, light it up and burn it down. For officer safety.

sound strategy.

needs to be a Constitutional Amendment.

pcosmar
05-17-2014, 08:17 AM

It ain't about Obama.. or the Democrats,,

Fucking Ronald Reagan pushed the War on Drugs,, and Nixon was an authoritarian Fascist before him.. The First Bush was Fucking CIA,, And yes,,the democrats continued it,, after they promised to stop it.

It is both Parties.. and people voting for Authoritarianism.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Yup, this.

It ain't about Obama.. or the Democrats,,

Fucking Ronald Reagan pushed the War on Drugs,, and Nixon was an authoritarian Fascist before him.. The First Bush was Fucking CIA,, And yes,,the democrats continued it,, after they promised to stop it.

It is both Parties.. and people voting for Authoritarianism.

Anti Federalist
05-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Meet Howard Bowe and Detective Charles Dinwiddie, your latest casualties in the war on drugs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/05/12/meet-howard-bowe-and-detective-charles-dinwiddie-your-latest-casualties-in-the-war-on-drugs/

By Radley Balko May 12 at 12:34 pm

“The way these people were treated has to be judged in the context of a war.”

— Former Hallandale Beach, Florida, attorney Richard Kane, after police officers raided the home of Edwin and Catherine Bernhardt. Police broke into the couple’s home and immediately threw Catherine Bernhardt to the floor at gunpoint. Edwin Bernhardt, who had come down from his bedroom in the nude, was also thrown to the floor and cuffed at gunpoint. Police forced him to wear a pair of his wife’s underwear then took him to the police station, where he spent several hours in jail. Police later discovered they had raided the wrong address.

Mr. Kane gave that quote to to the Miami Herald in a 1999 article about the Bernhardt lawsuit. A year after that raid, police in Hallandale Beach again made headlines, this time after raiding the home of Tracy Bell and her three young children. Bell also happened to be pregnant. They found no drugs, but this time the police continued to insist they had hit the correct house, citing a tip from a confidential informant who claimed to have made a buy at Bell’s address. Bell had actually complained to police about drug activity in the neighborhood. The police had likely confused her home with the one next door. Bell had no criminal record but her neighbor did. Her neighbor also admitted to having friends in the drug trade.

Fifteen years later, the war drags on. This happened last week:

A man was shot before dawn Thursday by a member of the Hallandale Beach Police Department’s SWAT unit while a search warrant was being served, an official said.

The incident happened about 6 a.m. at a duplex in the 700 block of NW Fourth Street. The wounded man was identified by police as Howard Bowe, 34.

According to Major Thomas Honan, a warrant was being served for suspected distribution of drugs from the property.

“It appears the officers from the SWAT team felt threatened,” Honan said. “A SWAT officer discharged his weapon and struck him.”

Bowe was taken to a hospital, where he remained in surgery late Thursday morning.

Honan said the investigation into the shooting was still unfolding and that “we don’t know what caused the SWAT officer to discharge his weapon.” . . .

Corneesa Bowe, who lives in the other half of the duplex, said the wounded man is her brother.

“He’s in critical condition and we’re praying for him,” Corneesa Bowe said. “He’s in ICU right now.”

She said her brother has a car wash business and lawn mowing service, and has never been violent.

Bowe said she woke up when the family’s 13-year-old dog was killed.

“They came in the back door,” she said. “Why shoot an unarmed person? Now he’s fighting for his life.”

She said she also was upset that police took her 16-year-old nephew into custody for part of the morning.

Neighbor Fred Webb lives across the street from the duplex, where he said scores of patrol cars and unmarked cars arrived after the gunfire.

Webb said Howard Bowe “is an honest man who worked every day” at his business, a traveling car wash. A trailer for the car wash was parked next to the house.

“I can’t understand it,” Webb said. “I hope he’s all right.”

Details are still sketchy, but from what I can tell, there has yet to be any mention of the police finding drugs or of Bowe possessing a weapon. That may come in the next few days, but it’s usually information the police release immediately.

Hallandale Beach (population: 38,000) is in Broward County, which is home to a variety of drug war excesses. There’s the town of Sunrise, where police were recently shown to have been luring drug offenders to town with “reverse stings” designed to nab cash-heavy suspects in order to pad the asset forfeiture account. Broward County has also been home to several drug raid deaths over the last decade or so, including Anthony Diotaiuto, Vincent Hodgkiss and Brenda Van Zwieten.

Defendants of the door-kicking drug raid say these tactics protect the lives of police officers. Here’s a contrary data point, also from last week:

A Killeen police officer has died after being shot in the line of duty Friday.

Detective Charles “Chuck” Dinwiddie succumbed to his injuries at Scott & White Hospital in Temple, just after 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Dinwiddie, along with three other officers were injured in Friday’s shooting.

Authorities went to a four-plex apartment on the 1100 block of Circle M Dr. to serve a search warrant. When Dinwiddie and another officer tried to enter the apartment, 50-year-old Marvin Louis Guy and a 49-year-old woman opened fire on authorities, hitting Dinwiddie in the face and Officer Odis Denton in the leg.

Guy is now in the Bell County Jail and faces three attempted capital murder charges. . . .

One of the suspects who shot several Killeen police officers has been charged with three counts of attempted capital murder. Marvin Louis Guy is being held in the Killeen City Jail on a $3 million bond, $1 million for each count against him.

Two of the officers wounded this morning are still in the hospital, the other two were treated and released.

The shooting happened around 5:30 a.m. Friday, in the 1100 block of Circle M Drive in Killeen. A Killeen tactical response unit and a central Texas Organized crime unit came to serve a search warrant. When two officers tried to enter the apartment, a man and a woman opened fire.

Last December, about 90 miles from Killeen, Henry Magee shot and killed Burleson County, Tex., Deputy Adam Sowders during a night raid on Magee’s home. Magee was raided because he was growing some pot plants. In February, a grand jury declined to indict Magee, finding that a reasonable person in his position could have thought he was being attacked and thus fired back in self-defense.

Even if you believe the goal of eradicating drugs is worth some collateral damage — that you’re okay with the occasional dead cop, dead bartender or critically wounded car wash owner if it means fewer people are getting high — 15 years have lapsed between the time the Hallandale Beach police terrorized the Bernhardts and then made Edward Bernhardt sit in a jail cell wearing only his wife’s underwear and the shooting of Howard Bowe.

Does anyone think it’s any more difficult to get high in Hallandale Beach now than it was then? How about in Killeen or Burleson County?

phill4paul
05-18-2014, 01:41 PM
“It appears the officers from the SWAT team felt threatened,” Honan said. “A SWAT officer discharged his weapon and struck him.”

And that is the New AmeriKa. No longer must cops actually be threatened. They must simply "feeeeeel" threatened. Well, hell, I feel threatened just by the presence of theme. I know what they are capable of doing. And do, everyday. And get away with the doing. However, I do not for one minute believe that I will be treated the same for acting on my perceptions of threat. Nor do I believe I could ever get away with it. So in the end it will be the end of me. And I can accept that.

DamianTV
05-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Policy was followed.
Officer safety was ensured.
This case is administratively closed.

Not sure if I got all that right. I did however, say the above lines to someone the other day. They did this sort of grimace-grin while nodding their head in acknowledgement.

"Policy" is the 2nd Set of Books that Cops and Courts go by.

No one gets to vote on "Policy". Not everyone gets to know what is in a "Policy". Determination of what is in any "Policy" is up to the person that writes it, and has NO RESTRICTIONS on what goes in it. "Policy" does not need to be Legally Authorized. "Policy" can be used to prevent application of Law. "Policy" often supercedes Law. However, "Violation of Policy" is as much a Crime as breaking any Law, of which, we have more than enough of.

"Policy" needs to be flat out done away with.