PDA

View Full Version : Ky. hemp industry on the line in federal court showdown

Suzanimal
05-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Good luck, Mr. Comer.

:mad:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A hemp planting scheduled for Friday in central Kentucky is postponed because of the standoff between the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and the DEA.

At issue is hemp seeds imported for use in a pilot program.

The showdown will happen at the federal courthouse in Louisville: Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer vs. the DEA.

"This is government at its worst. This is a classic example of government overreach," said Comer.

Comer thought he reached a deal with the DEA on Tuesday afternoon to release 250 pounds of imported hemp seed seized by the agency and held at the U.S. Customs office in Louisville.

"We were very optimistic that we would get our seeds within a matter of days. We agreed to fill out just one import permit, and we would have the seeds," said Comer.

But hours later, Comer received a letter from the DEA which he says contains new conditions that would have delayed obtaining the seeds by six months.

"So we said enough's enough, and we're going to take them to court," said Comer.

The suit seeks an injunction to force the DEA to release the seeds.

Comer maintains that the new Farm Bill allows Kentucky to begin hemp pilot projects.

But in the letter to Comer, the DEA says while Kentucky may grow or cultivate seeds, the importation is still subject to what's called the Controlled Substances Import and Export Act.

"The government agencies are supposed to abide by the laws that Congress passes, and here's a perfect example with industrial hemp, where they're not doing that," said Comer.

In a statement, U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell, who placed the hemp language in the farm bill, called on the DEA to release the hemp seeds immediately.

"Senator McConnell's appalled, and he's encouraging us to take them to court," said Comer.

A spokesperson for the Justice Dept. would not comment on the suit, but told WDRB by phone that the DEA is willing to work with Kentucky to expedite the release of the seeds.

But Comer says time is of the essence.

"If they're not in the ground by the first week of June, we can forget about it, and DEA knows that."

The Agriculture Department says hemp seeds shipped in from California were to go into the ground in Mt. Vernon on Friday. But that planting will now only be ceremonial. Real seeds will not be used so as not to jeopardize this case.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25528601/kys-hemp-industry-on-the-line-in-federal-court-showdown

HOLLYWOOD
05-16-2014, 05:31 PM
You know why... there's HUGE federal funding in fighting banned plants, as well as stealing everything they want.

Big jobs, overtime, retirement programs for government and they don't want to lose their authorities and privileges over the people.

Ender
05-16-2014, 05:53 PM
You know why... there's HUGE federal funding in fighting banned plants, as well as stealing everything they want.

Big jobs, overtime, retirement programs for government and they don't want to lose their authorities and privileges over the people.

It's more than that- hemp is the one real competitor to oil- and we can't have that.

Matt Collins
05-16-2014, 09:32 PM
First mistake is asking permission of the DEA to do it in the first place. Second mistake is going before a federal court which will almost guarenteed side with the federal government.

Origanalist
05-17-2014, 05:44 AM
First mistake is asking permission of the DEA to do it in the first place. Second mistake is going before a federal court which will almost guarenteed side with the federal government.

I would agree with you but the feds siezed the seeds. I would love to see them go in and take them, that would be a very good sign.

tod evans
05-17-2014, 05:46 AM
This goes here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyY-6oh0Ow8

osan
05-17-2014, 06:09 AM
So much for the Tenth Amendment.

I also feel the approach was wrong on KY's part. I'd have gotten seed by whatever means, and planted... after arming my workers to the teeth and authorizing them to shoot the life out of ANYONE attempting to interfere, especially federal agents. It's not that the "state" should be involved in such things - it should be left to individuals - but if they are going to do it, then do it and allow the fedgov no leeway on the matter. Kill their sorry asses if they threaten you with criminal charges or worse.

It seems we are very close to the shit-or-get-off-the-pot moment.

osan
05-17-2014, 06:10 AM
It's more than that- hemp is the one real competitor to oil- and we can't have that.

If it becomes legal, I will grow acres of it. My goats will, presumably, be very happy.

Matt Collins
05-17-2014, 08:13 AM
I would agree with you but the feds siezed the seeds. I would love to see them go in and take them, that would be a very good sign.
This is where the state guard (militia) comes in... they never should've let the Feds take them.

pcosmar
05-17-2014, 08:25 AM
This is where the state guard (militia) comes in... they never should've let the Feds take them.

It is where the militia comes in. and the state should back them.
Unfortunately the Guard units of every state have been Federalized (and are not militia) and most have been shipped elsewhere around the world.