PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Libertarians Have 86,400 Signatures on 2008 Party Petition

Bradley in DC
12-01-2007, 08:09 AM
http://www.ballot-access.org/2007/11/30/north-carolina-libertarians-have-86400-signatures-on-2008-party-petition/

North Carolina Libertarians Have 86,400 Signatures on 2008 Party Petition
November 30th, 2007
As of November 30, the North Carolina Libertarian Party has 86,400 signatures on its petition to be on the 2008 ballot. The legal requirement is 69,734. Libertarians estimate they need 95,000 raw signatures. The validity rate has been running at 73%, which is fairly good. This petition has been underway for over two years. Fortunately North Carolina lets a group takes as long as 3.5 years to get the job done. In the meantime, the lawsuit in state court against the petition requirement is still pending

MicroBalrog
12-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Now if all those people instead turned out in the primaries, we'd have it made.

Mark
12-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Entered my info.

Hope
12-08-2007, 06:57 AM
I signed that back at the State Fair!

johngr
12-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Now if all those people instead turned out in the primaries, we'd have it made.

We'll probably know who the winner is by NC.

nc4rp
12-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Libertarians should throw their weight behind Paul for Presidential Nominee in the State Primary. It would be the logical thing to do.

Every delegate will count all the way up to the National convention. NC has 4 conventions to deal with. Independents can only vote in the Primary election in May.

Only Republicans can vote in the Precinct, County, and District Conventions, as i understand it.

Each Convention has significant impact on the results on the number of delegates we seat at the National Convention such as -

At the Presidential Year Convention, the delegates and alternates to the National Convention...shall be elected only by votes from the Convention delegates on the floor of the Convention. Presidential Electors-at-large shall be nominated only by votes from the delegates on the floor of the Convention.)(NC Plan Article VII.A.2.d)

Precinct Convention (February)

County Convention (March)

District Convention (Late March or early April - 39-42 delegates elected (and its not winner take all)

Primary Election (May 6th - Independents can vote in this and its not winner take all)

State Convention (June 5th)

National Convention (September)

so it all starts at the precinct level.

Bradley in DC
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Only Republicans can vote in the Precinct, County, and District Conventions, as i understand it.

I don't know the NC rules, but when I was getting petitions for Forbes in Ohio, we had the LP people circulate both petitions: to get Forbes on the Republican primary ballot AND to get the LP party status in the state. Since at the time they were circulating the petitions, the LP was not a recognized party so they were eligible to sign the R petitions.

nc4rp
12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
I think Libertarian Party has status in this State. they are very active in my area.

Maybe if they dont have a candidate , maybe i could make house calls to register them republican... you got my gears turning thanks.