PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul struggles with hawkish GOP donors

jct74
05-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Rand Paul struggles with hawkish GOP donors

By KATIE GLUECK | 5/15/14 10:26 PM EDT

Rand Paul is doing everything he can to marshal the support of a diverse range of political factions ahead of a potential presidential run, from courting Republican National Committee members to meeting with traditionally Democratic African-American pastors and Berkeley college kids.

But at least one segment of the GOP still harbors deep reservations about the libertarian-leaning Kentucky senator — a group that includes prominent donors with plenty of critical cash.

The foreign policy hawks within the establishment GOP — among them pro-Israel donors, national security types and neoconservatives — are impressed by Paul’s attempts to broaden the Republican base and find him willing to listen to their concerns. But ultimately, according to people plugged into the Republican donor class, they worry that a President Paul would dangerously scale back America’s activities abroad.

Members of the establishment wing “think he’s a good leader, an attractive candidate and they agree with a lot of what he has to say on economic policy,” said Charlie Black, a veteran Republican strategist. “But they don’t agree with him on America withdrawing to its own shores.”

read more:
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/rand-paul-gop-donors-106747.html

Mr.NoSmile
05-15-2014, 09:26 PM
“Sen. Paul benefits by the low expectations set by his father: When he meets with donors, they inevitably come away impressed because he is sane and thoughtful in his dialogues, and willing to listen to other opinions, all contrary to expectations set by his father,” the Republican said. “Having said that, some of his views on foreign policy scare the hell out of foreign policy hawks [and] pro-Israel donors.”

It's that 'isolationist' label again. I mean, come on, I fail to understand the concern with a country taking care of its own issues. You'd think the people who re-elected Wilson under the slogan that "He kept us out of war" apparently had no idea what they were talking about.

Peace&Freedom
05-15-2014, 09:27 PM
The foreign policy hawks within the establishment GOP — among them pro-Israel donors, national security types and neoconservatives — are impressed by Paul’s attempts to broaden the Republican base and find him willing to listen to their concerns.

Read, those bought off by AIPAC, military contractors and the banksters, give lip service to Rand's appeal to independents but want no change at all with the Empire.

Brett85
05-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Members of the establishment wing “think he’s a good leader, an attractive candidate and they agree with a lot of what he has to say on economic policy,” said Charlie Black, a veteran Republican strategist. “But they don’t agree with him on America withdrawing to its own shores.”

Of course, Rand doesn't actually support that.

Crashland
05-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Rand shouldn't go to too much trouble to court the hawks. Sure, throw them a bone every so often but no need to get too crazy. All the polls are showing a major shift in the attitude of the GOP base and of the entire country, heading in Rand's favor ever since the interventionism explosion after 9/11.

CaptUSA
05-15-2014, 09:39 PM

They believe that anything less than bombing the entire world at will, means you want to withdraw to your own shore.

Brian4Liberty
05-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Will Rand get any donors from The List (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?450257-Neoconservatives-The-List)?

NewRightLibertarian
05-15-2014, 10:22 PM
It's that 'isolationist' label again. I mean, come on, I fail to understand the concern with a country taking care of its own issues. You'd think the people who re-elected Wilson under the slogan that "He kept us out of war" apparently had no idea what they were talking about.

Many of the rich pro-Israel donors are ultra-interventionist. It isn't Rand's problem, the problem is that these donors are monsters who don't want to support a guy who isn't genocidal toward Muslims.

WD-NY
05-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Again with that photo!! It would be funny if it weren't so damn damaging. Politico is supposed to be one of the 'legitimate' news outlet (like nytimes, abc/nbc/cbs, wsj, etc) and thus above this sort of nakedly hostile 'coloring'/biasing of a public figure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Team Rand needs to figure out a way to effectively push back against the almost exclusive use of photos like this by Politico and others. I mean, seriously, imagine if politico was running a photo like this at the top of nearly every story they posted about Obama pre-2008?

http://images.politico.com/global/2014/05/09/140509_rand_paul_605.jpg

#optics

T.hill
05-16-2014, 12:43 AM

Rand is ultimately a non-interventionist, so I don't know why he wouldn't. Of course, in the long run he does.

In the short term, at the very least, he supports withdrawing a large majority of the military from most parts of the world. The consequence of that of course would be closing many of our foreign bases.

luctor-et-emergo
05-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Reading the comments is really sad... People actually believe a whole lot of things about Rand that are not true. Luckily an equal amount of commenters recognize Politico for what it is.

compromise
05-16-2014, 01:41 AM
We need the Koch Brothers on Team Rand. Koch Industries has already given $34,000 to him so far, I would not be surprised if they back him in 2016.

Brett85
05-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Rand is ultimately a non-interventionist, so I don't know why he wouldn't. Of course, in the long run he does.

He's taken the position that we should just reduce our military presence overseas but still maintain a military presence. He disagrees with Ron on that.

jct74
05-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Again with that photo!! It would be funny if it weren't so damn damaging. Politico is supposed to be one of the 'legitimate' news outlet (like nytimes, abc/nbc/cbs, wsj, etc) and thus above this sort of nakedly hostile 'coloring'/biasing of a public figure.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Team Rand needs to figure out a way to effectively push back against the almost exclusive use of photos like this by Politico and others. I mean, seriously, imagine if politico was running a photo like this at the top of nearly every story they posted about Obama pre-2008?

http://images.politico.com/global/2014/05/09/140509_rand_paul_605.jpg

#optics

check out this one from ABC News this morning, it totally changes the feel of the story and suggests to the reader how they should feel about Rand doing another filibuster.

Will Rand Paul Launch Another 13-Hour Filibuster?

By Arlette Saenz
May 16, 2014 11:14am

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Politics/AP_rand_paul_jt_130921_16x9_608.jpg

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, held a 13-hour filibuster last year over drones, and he may be preparing to do it all over again.

He said he will filibuster the nomination of David Barron to be a judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. Barron’s nomination is controversial because of memos he wrote legally justifying the potential use of drone strikes against American citizens.

“I’ve read David Barron’s memos concerning the legal justification for killing an American citizen overseas without a trial or legal representation, and I am not satisfied,” Paul said in a statement Thursday. “While the president forbids me from discussing what is in the memos, I can tell you what is not in the memos.

“There is no valid legal precedent to justify the killing of an American citizen not engaged in combat,” Paul said. “In fact, one can surmise as much because the legal question at hand has never been adjudicated. Therefore, I shall not only oppose the nomination of David Barron, but will filibuster.”

read more:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2014/05/will-rand-paul-launch-another-13-hour-filibuster/

jct74
05-16-2014, 11:23 AM
this is the photo Politico used to use at the top of every Rand story, but I guess they started using a new one.

http://images.politico.com/global/2013/07/26/130726_rand_paul_ap_605.jpg

erowe1
05-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Rand should say this:

"For all those who worry that the federal government will not be taking enough of their money to spend on the military when I'm president, I will set up a special fund exclusively for the military to which they will be free to donate voluntarily as much money as they want."

Acala
05-16-2014, 01:31 PM
He should wear a button at all times that says "DO THE MATH: The USA is $X trillion in debt and cannot afford to police the world" And the "X" could have wheels with numbers so he could stop and turn it to increase the number at strategic opportunities - like during the debates. They use fear to support the world empire. He needs to play fear of insolvency against them.

Vanguard101
05-16-2014, 10:57 PM
He's taken the position that we should just reduce our military presence overseas but still maintain a military presence. He disagrees with Ron on that.

Or he's trying to take a middle ground. He didn't even want troops to save those girls....

Guitarzan
05-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Or he's trying to take a middle ground. He didn't even want troops to save those girls....

Huh? Did you honestly think he would?

Are the guys kidnapping those girls an imminent threat to our national security?

Vanguard101
05-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Huh? Did you honestly think he would?

Are the guys kidnapping those girls an imminent threat to our national security?

Since he takes a middle ground, I assumed he would.

Guitarzan
05-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Since he takes a middle ground, I assumed he would.

Hopefully I'm not breaking the forum guidelines when I say that you don't seem to know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Or do you post these things on purpose to troll?

Vanguard101
05-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Hopefully I'm not breaking the forum guidelines when I say that you don't seem to know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Or do you post these things on purpose to troll?

What?