PDA

View Full Version : The killing of Raymond Herisse: 116 shots that shook South Beach

phill4paul
05-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Nothing in Raymond Herisse’s past prepared his family for the explosive way that his young life ended.

He was 22 when he was killed on a South Beach street, in a frightening war-like moment that his family likens to being executed by a police firing squad.

An avalanche of 116 shots were fired by police that early May morning, leaving Herisse slumped over his steering wheel, his left side riddled with bullet wounds. In all, he was shot 16 times.

Two years and multiple lawsuits later, Miami Beach police have yet to produce evidence that Herisse did anything to deserve a death sentence.

Four bystanders were also seriously wounded in the wild pre-dawn attack, which happened amid a throng of tourists visiting for the city’s annual Urban Beach Week.

The criminal probe into whether the 12 police officers who participated in the shooting continues, amid concerns voiced in court that Miami Beach police covered up, altered or destroyed evidence to justify their use of deadly force.

In fact, their account of what happened began to unravel almost from day one. An examination of the record by The Miami Herald has found a series of inconsistencies, contradictions and omissions in the police narrative of what happened.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/25/3417050/the-killing-of-raymond-herisse.html#storylink=cpy

jtap
05-15-2014, 07:51 AM

Getting tired of the same old...

JK/SEA
05-15-2014, 08:20 AM

Getting tired of the same old...

yeah, probably time to give up, give in, lay down, bend over, learn to love boots, and get on board with the police state.

jtap
05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
yeah, probably time to give up, give in, lay down, bend over, learn to love boots, and get on board with the police state.

Whoa, let's not get crazy! Hopefully the fact that it is so mind-numbingly frequent and there are multiple predictable threads daily means it's reaching critical mass.

squarepusher
05-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Black guy, seems like standard procedure

limequat
05-15-2014, 08:54 AM
"The witnesses: Witnesses claimed that immediately after the shooting, police officers aggressively seized their cellphones. One video showed a police officer pointing a weapon directly at a witness, ordering him to surrender his recording device. The witness claimed officers then stomped on it. He said he was able to hide the phone’s memory card in his mouth, thus preserving the video."

There's one BAMF.

phill4paul
05-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Well, at least they can't charge him for the wounding of bystanders.

limequat
05-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Funny, when a cop is shot, it doesn't take 3 years to investigate. I wonder why it takes so long when it's a black dude?

Henry Rogue
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Funny, when a cop is shot, it doesn't take 3 years to investigate. I wonder why it takes so long when it's a black dude?
It might have something to do with police investigating police. The line between the good cops and the bad cops blurs quickly when cops investigate their brothers in arms.

belian78
05-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Until these animals are afraid of what might happen in retaliation, they will continue to abuse and exterminate citizens in such ways.

Anti Federalist
05-15-2014, 11:20 AM
"The witnesses: Witnesses claimed that immediately after the shooting, police officers aggressively seized their cellphones. One video showed a police officer pointing a weapon directly at a witness, ordering him to surrender his recording device. The witness claimed officers then stomped on it. He said he was able to hide the phone’s memory card in his mouth, thus preserving the video."

There's one BAMF.

Fuck you, shoot me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNVziiTZHI

Anti Federalist
05-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Four bystanders were also seriously wounded in the wild pre-dawn attack, which happened amid a throng of tourists visiting for the city’s annual Urban Beach Week.

Must be NYC cops that retired south.

They kill our pets, they kill us, they kill each other...and nothing slows it down, the criminal lunatics gain more power every day.

acptulsa
05-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Must be NYC cops that retired south.

116 shots and 16 hits?

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair bet. But I do have some doubts. No innocent bystanders died.

coastie
05-15-2014, 05:11 PM

There's one BAMF.
So....where's the video?

twomp
05-15-2014, 05:42 PM
From the article:

Despite Sigler’s order, Miami Beach police have so far not released the radio calls, quite possibly the evidence most likely to shed light on what police thought was happening and why Herisse was killed: the chatter between individual police officers and the 911 call center.

“The judge ruled we were entitled to all radio dispatches,” said Marwan Porter, attorney for Herisse's family. “I’m not sure why they won’t release the police tapes, except if they are afraid of what we will hear.”

Bobby Hernandez, a public information sergeant with Miami Beach, refused to provide them to The Miami Herald because, he said, the law exempts from public scrutiny “video or audio recordings that depict or record the killing of a person.”

This was in Florida. Funny how the Trayvon Martin got more airplay than this by media from all sides. I guess when the cops execute people, it's no longer big news?

Anti Federalist
05-15-2014, 05:49 PM
From the article:

This was in Florida. Funny how the Trayvon Martin got more airplay than this by media from all sides. I guess when the cops execute people, it's no longer big news?

It's never big news.

Origanalist
05-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Until these animals are afraid of what might happen in retaliation, they will continue to abuse and exterminate citizens in such ways.

:(
http://images.smh.com.au/2013/04/20/4207656/art-boston-thanks-620x349.jpg

RonPaulMall
05-15-2014, 06:53 PM
As somebody who actually lives here, I can assure you this incident did not "shake" South Beach in the slightest. I doubt 1 in 1000 residents is even aware of it. South Beach is a transient town. You can't really raise a family here (or anywhere in Miami Dade for that matter) anymore, so very little attention is paid to politics. The government gets all their money from the luxury hotels and businesses that cater to tourists, and then uses that money to enrich themselves. The contracts of South Beach government employees are obscene. The concerns of residents are not even an afterthought. Residents in fact, have been begging for the end of Urban Beach Weekend for years and most leave the island or don't go out that Weekend so wouldn't even have been around when this happened anyway.

pcosmar
05-15-2014, 06:58 PM

And this is exactly the REAL SIGNIFICANCE of the Bundy Standoff.

And exactly why they do not want to see this repeated in every state,,,

jtap
05-16-2014, 07:06 AM
From the article:

Despite Sigler’s order, Miami Beach police have so far not released the radio calls, quite possibly the evidence most likely to shed light on what police thought was happening and why Herisse was killed: the chatter between individual police officers and the 911 call center.

“The judge ruled we were entitled to all radio dispatches,” said Marwan Porter, attorney for Herisse's family. “I’m not sure why they won’t release the police tapes, except if they are afraid of what we will hear.”

Bobby Hernandez, a public information sergeant with Miami Beach, refused to provide them to The Miami Herald because, he said, the law exempts from public scrutiny “video or audio recordings that depict or record the killing of a person.”

No special treatment for the cops when they don't have to follow the rules they enforce AND don't have to follow judges' orders. Pathetic.

limequat
05-16-2014, 08:15 AM
So....where's the video?

Dunno, but they have this pic up:
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2013/05/25/21/44/1oPSmJ.St.56.jpeg

Henry Rogue
05-16-2014, 04:23 PM
Initial four shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3vNuWCfd8&feature=player_detailpage
Firing squad and threatening witnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RXpMzT5yGp8

twomp
05-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Firing squad and threatening witnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RXpMzT5yGp8

The officer in the brown uniform looks like he fired the first shot and ran off lol.