PDA

View Full Version : Mark Zuckerberg’s $100 million to Newark, NJ schools - Poof!

Valli6
05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Who could've guessed? :rolleyes:

Report: $100M donation to Newark schools largely gone
May 14, 2014 7:44 AM

NEWARK - Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s $100 million pledge in 2010 to help rebuild Newark's schools has largely run dry, according to a New Yorker magazine investigative report.

Four years later, it’s uncertain if the gift praised by Gov. Chris Christie and then-Newark mayor Cory Booker will have much of a lasting positive effect on city schools.

The New Yorker piece, titled “Schooled” by Dale Russakoff, *looked at how the historic pledge came to be, where the money is being spent and what reforms are taking place in the city’s schools.

The report found more than $20 million of Zuckerberg’s gift and matching donations went to consulting firms with various specialties, including public relations, human resources, communications, data analysis, teacher evaluation.*

"Everybody's getting paid, but Raheem still can't read," Vivian Cox Fraser, the president of the Urban League of Essex County, told The New Yorker.

According to the New Yorker, “despite millions of dollars spent on community engagement — [officials] have yet to hold tough, open conversations with the people of Newark about exactly how much money the district has, where it is going, and what students aren’t getting as a result."

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/report-100m-donation-to-newark-schools-largely-gone-1.8016780

The New Yorker - by Dale Russakoff
May 19, 2014:

...Almost four years later, Newark has fifty new principals, four new public high schools, a new teachers’ contract that ties pay to performance, and an agreement by most charter schools to serve their share of the neediest students. But residents only recently learned that the overhaul would require thousands of students to move to other schools, and a thousand teachers and more than eight hundred support staff to be laid off within three years. In mid-April, seventy-seven members of the clergy signed a letter to Christie requesting a moratorium on the plan, citing “venomous” public anger and “the moral imperative” that people have power over their own destiny. Booker, now a U.S. senator, said in a recent interview that he understood families’ fear and anger: “My mom—she would’ve been fit to be tied with some of what happened.” But he characterized the rancor as “a sort of nadir,” and predicted that in two or three years Newark could be a national model of urban education. “That’s pretty monumental in terms of the accomplishment that will be.”

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/05/19/140519fa_fact_russakoff

otherone
05-14-2014, 04:46 PM
A toilet can't tell the difference between $100 million and shit.

Petar
05-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Seems like Zuckerberg got the corporatist PR that he was apparently looking for...

Petar
05-14-2014, 04:56 PM
As in no one gives a flying fuck regarding the actual consequences of all of this stupidity...

AuH20
05-14-2014, 04:57 PM
But if they only had access to higher property tax areas. These urban centers would thrive with more resources. Heh.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2014, 05:56 PM
The school to prison pipeline continues.

jclay2
05-14-2014, 05:57 PM
But if they only had access to higher property tax areas. These urban centers would thrive with more resources. Heh.

Totally agree. Well at least he hasn't donated billions to abortion groups like buffet...yet.

AuH20
05-14-2014, 05:59 PM
The school to prison pipeline continues.

The worst aspect is that THEY are STEALING from their own. How do these people sleep at night? Let's forget about the skulking white man for a second and examine this for what it is.

satchelmcqueen
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
well i am not surprised.

HOLLYWOOD
05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Fuckerberg doesn't care... it was probably all done for a carry forward tax writeoff, that's listed on page 71,894 of the IRS tax code.

Feeding the Abscess
05-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Oh, so the money went to the Rothfelds of the lobbying world. Shocking.

nobody's_hero
05-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a government a hundred million fish, and man starves. Or something like that.

They should check to see if it's in the folds of Chris Christie's—okay, okay, I'm not gonna start it.

bunklocoempire
05-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't hate on the kids, send moar money!

Brian4Liberty
05-14-2014, 09:22 PM
Bribes in NJ probably tend to disappear like that.

outspoken
05-14-2014, 10:16 PM
If he just would have donated $200 million Newark would be a city on the hill blazing the trail for all to follow. Had zuckerburg really wanted to improve the plight of so many youngsters stuck in a debacle of education system, he would have given the money to promote a voucher system and break up the unionized monopoly that is dumbing down a whole generation.

Brian4Liberty
05-14-2014, 10:50 PM
If he just would have donated $200 million Newark would be a city on the hill blazing the trail for all to follow. Had zuckerburg really wanted to improve the plight of so many youngsters stuck in a debacle of education system, he would have given the money to promote a voucher system and break up the unionized monopoly that is dumbing down a whole generation.

If he really wanted to help kids get a better education he would have opened schools that are cash only and very inexpensive, for both full time students and students who need additional help like tutoring.

Spikender
05-14-2014, 11:18 PM
Zuckerberg gets a tax write off, the administrators and consulting firms get paid, the school gets some new furniture, they buy one thousand dollar hammers, and the world keeps turning.

Sounds like an open and shut briefcase to me.

osan
05-15-2014, 12:43 AM
One can only guess what is going on in Zuckerberg's mind. Is he an idiot, or is this some torture-twisted strategic deal?

If we take it on faith that his apparent intentions were his real ones, then he is a sterling example of the nitwit. If, presumably after having been around long enough to have witnessed the truer nature of boards of education and state education departments, he still gives that much cash to any American public school system anywhere in the land, he must be assessed a drooling dunce. Firstly, I would never give a plugged kopek to such institutions, but were some madness to take hold of me such that I wanted to "help" in such a manner, I would ask what do you need and would do it myself with no BOE hands on the purse at any time, for any reason. I would review every request and do diligent sanity checking. If you don't cut the mustard, you don't get the moola. If you don't like it, I have a great mound of salt you can pound up your bum.

This little episode in the escapades of Mr. Zuckerberg leans be a bit more toward the belief that he must be some agent beholden to Themme because, all else equal, he appears to be far and away too devoid of basic intelligence to have driven Facebook to its position as a leading social media site. You'd have a hard time convincing me that anything this stoopid could run a bodega, much less anything more complicated.

These out of control progressive candy-asses are hilarious - they are so weak-egoed and so needy-clingy for validation, they seem to resort to all manner of stupidity in their pathetically misguided attempts to aggrandize themselves in ways they think are oblique such that nobody will be able to detect the actual and wholly self-serving nature of their every deed.

osan
05-15-2014, 12:44 AM
If he really wanted to help kids get a better education he would have opened schools that are cash only and very inexpensive, for both full time students and students who need additional help like tutoring.

Right answer.

That, or just let the world burn as otherwise planned.

THX 1138
05-15-2014, 09:51 AM
One can only guess what is going on in Zuckerberg's mind. Is he an idiot, or is this some torture-twisted strategic deal?

I think he knew exactly what he was doing, and felt that it was all worth it. Perhaps he just wanted the PR. Who knows what else he could have also been angling for.