PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul wasting my money? postcard from campaign

bgarrett
12-01-2007, 07:10 AM
I got a postcard in the mail yesterday thanking me for my contributions.

Thats nice but it sure seems like a waste of the money I am donating

Spend that money on undecided voters!

rodent
12-01-2007, 07:12 AM

I got one too. It might get the non-internet savvy voters to donate again. If it's under $1000, it's ok in my book. Maybe we can add a check box to tell them not to mail us, so they can save money.

synthetic
12-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Whats with these alarmist thread titles? Contacting donors is standard practice and costs very little. It also leads to repeat contributions in many cases.

jlink7
12-01-2007, 07:18 AM
I don't know, can't congressmen send free non-solicitation mail? I mean, you're still technically paying for it with your taxes, but that doesn't mean he used your contributions. I don't know the restrictions on their congressional mail system.

Bradley in DC
12-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Whats with these alarmist thread titles? Contacting donors is standard practice and costs very little. It also leads to repeat contributions in many cases.

Exactly! At least they're thanking us (unlike Bydlack's emails).

superlou
12-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I was delighted to get the postcard. It was something that the campaign didn't have to do, it thanked me for my support, and was from Ron Paul. There was no plea for money or anything, just thanks. I don't think I've seen anything from the RNC, or politician that contained a simple note of gratitude like this before.

dawnbt
12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
You can also use these post cards towards tax deductions if you choose.

militant
12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I was delighted to get the postcard. It was something that the campaign didn't have to do, it thanked me for my support, and was from Ron Paul. There was no plea for money or anything, just thanks. I don't think I've seen anything from the RNC, or politician that contained a simple note of gratitude like this before.

exactly. roommate and i both got one on the same day, and it felt really nice. the lack of an appeal for money or request for any action other than to accept the campaign's and ron's gratitude was what i needed to see. it had a bit of class.

even if they spent a few grand on this, that's ok - we're doing well on funds, and there are only so many commercials and mailers you can do in the earliest states. the attention and subsequent fundraising that will come when we roll into good positions early on will surely fund the later states' campaigns.

MozoVote
12-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I think, this is one to let slide. Even if the HQ mailed out 100,000 post cards at 40¢ each, that's only $40,000 which isn't a big deal in the scheme of a national campaign.

At least it is feedback to the donors and expresses RP's appreciaition. It's nothing close to the kind of waste we read about after Howard Dean collapsed. :rolleyes:

V4Vendetta
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Come one Guys... they are just saying Thank you.

They are acknowledging you... for helping Ron Paul!

Chester Copperpot
12-01-2007, 12:14 PM
FYI: postcards arent costing 40 cents... you can get that stuff for like a nickel in bulk.. depedning on the printing even less.. postage isnt anywhere near a first class letter either.. they get the non profit 3rdclass bulk rate too,, I would say at most.. it cost the campaign 20 cents per postcard INCLUDING postage to do their postcards.

anotherone
12-01-2007, 12:23 PM

I'm saving my postcard as a momento of this election. I think it's a minimal cost and will help get repeat donations.

Eric21ND
12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I enjoyed getting a postcard from them. This cost the campaign very little and will get return doners.

Mandrik
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I plan on putting a bunch of my RP stuff away in a box to show the grandkids one day (I'm 27 right now). This postcard is going in there. I really appreciated getting it in the mail. When I came into work that day, a co-worker of mine also got one in the mail, and he too was happy about it. I thought it was great. It was nice to get something from the campaign like that. I thought it was extra cool that they didn't solicit me for more money, not that I don't intend to give more (16th!). It was just great to get that little note from the campaign.

Ever do something nice for someone without ever even wanting anything in return? Then they give you some homemade cookies with a little thank you card? Yeah, it was like that. :)

Karrl
12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Shows character! I could almost make the issue of character as the only reason to vote for him!! Class act!!

LibertyRevolution
12-01-2007, 03:03 PM
It always makes me happy when i get mail from Ron Paul! Think of it as advertising, all the postal workers that got to see Ron Paul's name. And its a keepsake, maybe even something to frame if he wins.

Korey Kaczynski
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM

I thought the same thing when I got mine. But within half a second I realized it's a way to get people to donate more.

ZenX
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Did he sign each of these? I licked my finger and ran it across it...it's ink, not printed. :)

gerryb
12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
You can also use these post cards towards tax deductions if you choose.

What does this mean?

peruvianRP
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
I got it too and I liked it. My wife liked it too and she hanged nicely in my living room. Is really etiquette to thanks someone with a nice card. I'm sure it did not cost too much.

Zarxrax
12-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I made another donation yesterday after getting it in the mail. I'd imagine im not the only one.

NinjaPirate
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
I liked the card, and became excited when I saw it! Snail mail > e-mail in my book. :D

xexkxex
12-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Does the fact that the thread starter has only one post mean anything?

The negativity among people with 1-5 posts in the last few days is very alarming.

....just a heads up. ;)

NinjaPirate
12-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Does the fact that the thread starter has only one post mean anything?

The negativity among people with 1-5 posts in the last few days is very alarming.

....just a heads up. ;)

I've noticed that, too. A lot of naysayers/complainers are hanging around lately. :/

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
You guys got postcards? I've never gotten any physical mail from the campaign, not even before I maxed out, when I still was able to make donations.
:(

On the other hand, now that I'm maxed out, they have no reason now to send me any!
:D

Corydoras
12-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Did he sign each of these? I licked my finger and ran it across it...it's ink, not printed. :)

They probably used an autopen. It's a machine that uses a real pen to make an ink signature. Been around for decades.

james1906
12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
just a note, political contributions are not tax-deductible

noztnac
12-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I see your point. But why not say "The campaign is wasting my money." instead of "Ron Paul is wasting my money."

There are many new people here. Do you really want one of the first things they see when they get here to be a post by you saying "Ron Paul is wasting my money."?

romeshomey
12-01-2007, 08:26 PM

I got one too and wondered how much it cost to send to me thinking it was a waste.

No need to send me a post card to thank me. Winning in the primaries would be thanks enough. Don't waste the money on thanking me. Please.

Wyurm
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
I have to beg to differ. After Jonathan's super-negative email, I decided it was not in my best interests nor the best interests of the campaign for me to remain subscribed to their mailing list and removed my name. I was feeling rather down on even donating any more which was really causing me some serious conflict. See, I really believe Dr. Paul is our only hope and I really want to do all I can to get him to the Whitehouse. I just lost alot of respect for the campaign as well as any faith I had left in them, so I felt it best to cut myself off from them before I felt any more negativity toward them.

Then I got that postcard in the mail. I'm definitely going to be donating on the 16th, no question about it now. Finally I received something positive from the campaign, something that wasn't disrespectful of our efforts, but rather, appreciative. This postcard was very necessary after that email.

rockwell
12-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I started donating to Ron Paul about seven years ago and even when I wasn't donating they always sent me monthly updates, written by the Congressman and they helped me to define a lot of my positions. He's always been a thoughtful congressman and the postcard you got- I got one too and it made feel appreciated-was a sign of his decency, not sloth.

specsaregood
12-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The postcard was like a thank-you letter. I was raised to always send thank-you notes to people that gave me gifts. It was not a fundraising-request. It was a thank you note.

I agree with the above poster, it shows character.

Mental Dribble
12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I got one as well.

I just hope I dont get one for every donations I've done!

It was nice to get a thank you. Very Classy

bgarrett
12-02-2007, 04:55 AM
I think Ron Paul is the greatest thing to happen in my life--57 years so far.
The $4 million day was a great idea
Today I got another great idea in the mail

STEP UP: A Letter From The Revolution To Citizens Of Iowa
Hello from sunny California,

The Ron Paul Los Angeles MeetUp has purchased a list of 700,000 Iowa mailing addresses and is organizing a national letter writing campaign. This effort will mean personal, hand-signed letters from Ron Paul supporters nationwide delivered to undecided voters in Iowa from grass roots supporters like you.

This is a massive undertaking and we need everyone's help. With support from the MeetUps, we can cover all 700,000 names on the list before January 3rd.

Please respond with a standard email address and be sure to list which MeetUp you are from ASAP and I will send you the names and addresses of the Iowans we need you to cover. We are askin g that each MeetUp group write at least 100 letters. I have included a sample letter below for you to see. WE CAN DO THIS.

Eric Turner (310) 204-2733 eturn23@earthlink.net

Sample Letter:

Dear __,

My name is Eric Turner and I live in Los Angeles, CA. Up until a few months ago, I was a typical apathetic American voter, but then I learned about Dr. Ron Paul and what he stands for. Now I am an active participant in the Freedom revolution that he is leading. He is the first candidate that I?ve ever felt was worthy of my time, money, and effort. He is a 10-term Republican congressman. In Congress, Dr. Paul has never voted to raise taxes. He has never voted for an unbalanced budget. He does not participate in the lucrative Congressional pension program because he does not think it is fair to the taxpayer. He has never voted to increase Congressional pay. As a medical doctor (OBGYN), he has delivered more than 4000 babies, but he never took any payments from the government. Instead he treated needy patients out of his own pocket. He even paid for his five children's university education so they wouldn?t need to get government assistance. Dr. Paul is the most principled man I have ever met. He has been married for over 50 years to Carol Paul. He is truly a modern day Thomas Jefferson. Please consider voting for Dr. Paul at your Republican caucus on January 3, 2008. I know you are registered "no party." You can register Republican on caucus night to vote for him. You can find out more about him by visiting his website at: www.RonPaul2008.com I would love to hear what you think of Dr. Paul. Please email your thoughts to me at: eturn23@earthlink.net

Very truly yours, Eric Turner

voiceactivated
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Some years ago I sent John McCain $250 (sorry about that; I'm smarter now) and I'll bet he spent half of it sending me urgent requests for more money, all via FedEx!

traviskicks
12-11-2007, 10:11 PM

I had the same thoughts as you.

dddienst
12-11-2007, 10:35 PM
It is not like we give him much choice. I mean we are donating TONS of money to the campaign and then the grassroots goes out and buys TV, radio, and news ads. Rents a Blimp. Pays for housing for volunteers to go door to door. We BUY our materials from the campaign plus make signs of our own. And fund 1000 other effort I am sure I am not aware of. The poor man need to spend all that money on something it might as well be thank you notes to his supporters. :p Shoot if this keeps up he will just pay off the national debt with his campaign donations by the time we elect him into office.