PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - This is Why Money Bombs Should not Have Goals

walt
12-01-2007, 06:33 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/7119.html

Thomas Paine
12-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Wasn't this outdated article posted and discussed in a prior thread???

Real_CaGeD
12-01-2007, 06:41 AM
Well, when the media bitches about a 500k day, they r nitpicking.

WAIT FOR THE TEA PARTY.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:51 AM
I wasn't aware this "money bomb" had a particular monetary goal in mind. I know that a single supporter's opinion set a goal that I never agreed upon. My goal was to give the RP campaign the cash they requested to expand operations in the NH.

As far as I'm concerned, the RP NH efforts have an additional half a mil now. That's a well spent half a million dollars, and a success in my book.

me3
12-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Money Bombs must have goals.

The problem with this money bomb wasn't that we don't have the capacity to raise $2.5 million.

It's that not enough people got behind it, and it was already on a short clock.

If that Politico article is the worst we see after 12 hours, then we're doing fine.

ItsTime
12-01-2007, 08:03 AM
and they wrote it yesterday

Money Bombs must have goals.

The problem with this money bomb wasn't that we don't have the capacity to raise $2.5 million.

It's that not enough people got behind it, and it was already on a short clock.

If that Politico article is the worst we see after 12 hours, then we're doing fine.

user
12-01-2007, 08:03 AM
The goal for Nov. 5th was $10 million, but even $4.3 million was so huge the media didn't care. But yes, now the bar is set higher so maybe we should be more careful.

1town
12-01-2007, 08:19 AM
If you want the moon, you have to shoot for the stars

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Wasn't this outdated article posted and discussed in a prior thread???

It is dated November 30. Yesterday. Hardly outdated. ;)

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 08:44 AM
If you want the moon, you have to shoot for the stars

No. The adage is to UNDER PROMISE and OVER DELIVER. Not over promise and under deliver. We only got away with it on 11/5 because records were broken.

DealzOnWheelz
12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOV 30th was never meant to be a big MONEY BOMB I think it was stupid to even set that date we should have focused on a daily goal up until the 30th.

But what is done is done AND TEAPARTY WILL DESTROY ALL FUNDRAISING RECORDS

walt
12-01-2007, 08:53 AM
The goal for Nov. 5th was $10 million, but even $4.3 million was so huge the media didn't care. But yes, now the bar is set higher so maybe we should be more careful.

exactly, talk about it here - but NOT on teaparty07.com

You wouldn't give the enemy ammo in a declared war, so you shouldn't do this either! Not good strategy - you want to EXCEED expectations ALWAYS. :D

airborne373
12-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Our movement raised a very respectable amount of money yesterday, and I am proud of everyone. The big fund raising event is still December 16, 2007.

Want to make that a great day for us?

Our INDY group will be in Downtown Indianapolis at Circle Center Mall with the Ron Paul message today. And at the Castleton Square Mall tomorrow. Get out and win new supporters for freedom.

Bruehound
12-01-2007, 09:00 AM
The immature romper room bitchfests that erupted earned this article. But aside from the headline it was actually a fair item.

twdahm
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
No. The adage is to UNDER PROMISE and OVER DELIVER. Not over promise and under deliver. We only got away with it on 11/5 because records were broken.

LibertyEasgle--THANK YOU! You are one of the only people in the forum that actually thinks things through. My post yesterday about how the goal set was unrealistic which got people so mad at me calling my a Huck supporter telling me i was a baby and so forth. They said "wait until tonight you will see us hit our goal" and look now there are article "making us look like fools" I quote myself there. And to who ever said they were not aware of a goal GO TO THE WEBSITE!!!!! Trevor needs to stop thinking he is the face of these fundraising days and just keep the websites up so people can actually load them AKA teaparty07....

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 11:01 AM
So go organize your own moneybomb, Walt. One without goals.

I'm just fine with setting goals ambitiously even if we don't achieve them.

We are, following this terrible strategy, on our way to being the top Q4 fundraising campaign. We have provided, despite missed goals, the means for our man to buy the needed ads in IA/NH and, after the Teaparty, to run in SC and other primaries if we have a good response in the early contests.

I keep saying every time we set a goal that we'll never ever make it. But we always double our previous numbers and efforts or more and we have greatly exceeded what any of us or the campaign or the media ever thought we could. How can you depict that as some kind of failure because a few hacks at a website only political junkies read write an obscure one-day story and then have to correct it by naming our man as the top Q4 fundraiser?

Seems to me what we're doing is just fine. And challenging people and daring them to dream of large goals is actually a welcome tonic. We have to play on the big board and we have a lot of supporters. So good for Trevor and the blimp folk and the ChipIn people for setting ambitious goals for us all. Look what all that "unrealism" has already accomplished.

margomaps
12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
LibertyEasgle--THANK YOU! You are one of the only people in the forum that actually thinks things through. My post yesterday about how the goal set was unrealistic which got people so mad at me calling my a Huck supporter telling me i was a baby and so forth. They said "wait until tonight you will see us hit our goal" and look now there are article "making us look like fools" I quote myself there. And to who ever said they were not aware of a goal GO TO THE WEBSITE!!!!! Trevor needs to stop thinking he is the face of these fundraising days and just keep the websites up so people can actually load them AKA teaparty07....

You're hardly unbiased in this matter. This past Monday you were already claiming that "Nov 30th is going to be lame" (here's you saying that (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=470402#post470402)). It's clear that you thought the fundraiser was a dumb idea in the first place, and now you're gleefully finding opportunities to denigrate our second-best fundraising day ever. Apparently you would have preferred an outcome in which we raised $0 yesterday.

Awesome! Thanks for all you're doing to help Ron Paul! :rolleyes:

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
You're hardly unbiased in this matter. This past Monday you were already claiming that "Nov 30th is going to be lame" (here's you saying that (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=470402#post470402)). It's clear that you thought the fundraiser was a dumb idea in the first place, and now you're gleefully finding opportunities to denigrate our second-best fundraising day ever. Apparently you would have preferred an outcome in which we raised $0 yesterday.

Wrong I would have rather kept everythng the same BUT hope that Trevor "the genius" you all think he is not make press releases to all the news stations about how HE is spear heading a fundraiser and then doesnt meet the goal he tells them we are going to reach, which make us look like fools--its simple. All he needs to do is make sure the websites stay up and running which he can't even handle that!

Matthew Zak
12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Think about what the title of your thread implies.

Goals are set for a reason. Have you forgotten? Your spirit has been compromised. The media is never going to be on our side.

I say we raise 50 million on December 16th. Who's willing to try?

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:19 AM
You are missing the point. To raise 50 million dollars would be a vey impressive thing. To send a press release stating that we are going to raise 50 million would be the stupid thing. (this is what Trevor is doing and this needs to stop)

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:23 AM
"The media is never going to be on our side"

You are probably right, the media is never going to be on our side, but why give them more ammo??

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Think about what the title of your thread implies.

Goals are set for a reason. Have you forgotten? Your spirit has been compromised. The media is never going to be on our side.

I say we raise 50 million on December 16th. Who's willing to try?

Matthew, you are missing the point. We should aim for the moon, but we shouldn't announce to the media that we will be raising an amount that we are unsure that we can attain. We want to WOW them that we not only met our goal, but we vastly exceeded it. It is negative press when we set an unrealistic goal and fall short. We got away with it on 11/5, because we set a record.

So, instead of running around boasting to the media how much we will bring in on 12/16, we might want to take the steps to make sure we will blow the lid off of the event. Things like each of us who takes a newsletter from a precious metal dealer, writing them and asking them to support the 12/16 fundraiser just like Schiff did on 11/5. I'm sure a lot of you have a lot of great ideas about how to bring new people into this event. Do it all! We've got to get the excitement back and quickly! There was a big effort for the 11/5 fundraiser to contact each and every RP MySpace friend. Is there something similar going on this time for the 12/16 fundraiser? Should there be? Each Meetup group was also notified. Has that happened yet for this one, or are we just assuming everyone knows about it?

Boasting to the media isn't going to make it happen. If we can pull off a huge success on 12/16, there will be PLENTY of media. If we fail, there will still be media; however, it will not be of the positive nature. If we do not want that to happen, we'd all better get busy. We got waylaid with the 11/30 fundraiser and lost focus on 12/16. We've got to quickly recoup and make up for a lot of lost time. I know we can do it.

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:25 AM

By the way, thanks for showing everyone that I was right on Monday and how I predicted how this fundraiser would go.

Revolution9
12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOV 30th was never meant to be a big MONEY BOMB I think it was stupid to even set that date we should have focused on a daily goal up until the 30th.

But what is done is done AND TEAPARTY WILL DESTROY ALL FUNDRAISING RECORDS

People who live paycheque to paycheque are generally unable to split the last cheque of the month as that is generally a large chunk of rent or mortgage money. The 16th comes in the middle of the month over the weekend.. It will be huge as more people will be able to give without a boot to the streets.

Best
Randy

Shellshock1918
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/7119.html

That article and the guy who wrote it are full of crap. The rudy's reading thing was created maybe, what, a week before it happened? Yea and it wasn't meant to dwarf the tea party.

Just one more example of MSM BS.

LibertyEagle
You're hardly unbiased in this matter. This past Monday you were already claiming that "Nov 30th is going to be lame"

I guess he was right too.

Spilled milk. On to 12/16. We have little time.

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
That article and the guy who wrote it are full of crap. The rudy's reading thing was created maybe, what, a week before it happened? Yea and it wasn't meant to dwarf the tea party.

Just one more example of MSM BS.

How so? Is it not true that Trevor estimated the 11/30 fundraiser to bring in over 2 million dollars?

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Eveyone needs to understand, this is not our personal reputations, this is RON PAULS reputation that we are putting on the line. No one cares who gives or why all they care about is how much RON PAUL can fundraise. Everything that we do is a reflection on RON PAUL. If we set a goal, don't reach it; fine, RON PAUL gets a little crap for it. If we set a goal, send out press releases for the news to know about it, and fail (like Trevor did), they give RON PAUL HELL for it. Now, why would we want to make RON PAUL look bad?

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM
People who live paycheque to paycheque are generally unable to split the last cheque of the month as that is generally a large chunk of rent or mortgage money. The 16th comes in the middle of the month over the weekend.. It will be huge as more people will be able to give without a boot to the streets.

Best
Randy

It's Christmas time!!!

Revolution9
12-01-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks.. I was all wound up and ready to haul off and let junior have it.. Yer not quite at the intensity level I was brewing but sonny boy is just a a drooling yap of naysaying doom. He should be somewhere else with that attitude in tow.

Best
Randy

MozoVote
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Good grief people. I think this is the fourth 11/30 whiner thread in a row I've posted on. Enough already. Yes, there were some misssteps in the promotion, but overall this effort worked, generated money and publicity, and it was all volunteer.

I'm gonna go rake some leaves in my yard and then come back and prepare some letters to Iowa. What are YOU going to do useful today??

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks.. I was all wound up and ready to haul off and let junior have it.. Yer not quite at the intensity level I was brewing but sonny boy is just a a drooling yap of naysaying doom. He should be somewhere else with that attitude in tow.

Best
Randy

I didn't see it that way. The reality is that he was correct in his assessment and it was proven yesterday. But now, it is done. It is over. Let's just move on to The Tea Party and make it a huge success. It's going to take all of us to do that.

After all, I have a dance promised to me at the Inauguration.

LibertyEagle
12-01-2007, 11:38 AM
twdahm,

Time to move on. It's over. Please just set your sights on 12/16. We've all got a lot to do.

twdahm
12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
twdahm,

Time to move on. It's over. Please just set your sights on 12/16. We've all got a lot to do.

I agree, I'm trying to get the point across that we need to pick and choose our fundraising days and amounts. We can't have everything. And I feel like Trevor thinks we can have it all. He just needs to get his head out of his butt and start setting realistic goals and blowing the media out of the water by not stating press releases and instead telling them after the fact. I just want peple to realize that I appreciate Trevor's work but him putting his name behind these events is insanity. I personally put out over 500 signs in my town Thanksgiving night so everyone would see them on black Friday. I didn't tell my local meet up group even when they sent out an e-mail asking who it was. I don't want attention on me, only Ron Paul. And that's what Trevor needs to understand.

Sent on: Friday, November 23 at 11:36 AM

I want to thank whoever placed all of the Ron Paul homemade signs on 71st St. between Mingo and the Chili's where our sign holding party took place on Black Friday morning. They all looked really good, and tremendously added to our cause. Way to go!

JacobLyles
12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
So go organize your own moneybomb, Walt. One without goals.

I'm just fine with setting goals ambitiously even if we don't achieve them.

We are, following this terrible strategy, on our way to being the top Q4 fundraising campaign. We have provided, despite missed goals, the means for our man to buy the needed ads in IA/NH and, after the Teaparty, to run in SC and other primaries if we have a good response in the early contests.

I keep saying every time we set a goal that we'll never ever make it. But we always double our previous numbers and efforts or more and we have greatly exceeded what any of us or the campaign or the media ever thought we could. How can you depict that as some kind of failure because a few hacks at a website only political junkies read write an obscure one-day story and then have to correct it by naming our man as the top Q4 fundraiser?

Seems to me what we're doing is just fine. And challenging people and daring them to dream of large goals is actually a welcome tonic. We have to play on the big board and we have a lot of supporters. So good for Trevor and the blimp folk and the ChipIn people for setting ambitious goals for us all. Look what all that "unrealism" has already accomplished.

I agree. That'll buy another ad campaign for Ron in New Hampshire!

JacobLyles
12-01-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree, I'm trying to get the point across that we need to pick and choose our fundraising days and amounts. We can't have everything. And I feel like Trevor thinks we can have it all. He just needs to get his head out of his butt and start setting realistic goals and blowing the media out of the water by not stating press releases and instead telling them after the fact. I just want peple to realize that I appreciate Trevor's work but him putting his name behind these events is insanity. I personally put out over 500 signs in my town Thanksgiving night so everyone would see them on black Friday. I didn't tell my local meet up group even when they sent out an e-mail asking who it was. I don't want attention on me, only Ron Paul. And that's what Trevor needs to understand.

Sent on: Friday, November 23 at 11:36 AM

I want to thank whoever placed all of the Ron Paul homemade signs on 71st St. between Mingo and the Chili's where our sign holding party took place on Black Friday morning. They all looked really good, and tremendously added to our cause. Way to go!

People trust the Teaparty because it's organized by the same folks who brought us November 5th. Trevor's name now adds to any campaign he gets behind, I don't see any problem with him using it for good. If he picks up the phone and calls the Washington Post, they'll listen. That's good. I don't see any self-aggrandizement from him, only someone that is trying to be as effective as possible.

And thank you to your group!