PDA

View Full Version : No, Uncle Sam doesn’t really want YOU: Military now turns down 80% of applicants

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
No, Uncle Sam doesn’t really want YOU: Military now turns down 80% of applicants

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/13/uncle-sam-doesnt-want-you-military-now-turns-down-/

Uncle Sam doesn’t want you. At least 80 percent of you.

These days, the U.S. military is only taking 20 percent of the applicants who walk into their local recruiter’s office intent on enlisting in the armed services.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Terrence Hoard told the Kansas City Star that his recruitment office once needed to sign up 16 to 20 soldiers per month to meet recruitment goals. Today, he can get by with 10 to 12.

“We’re turning down twice as many as before,” he told the paper, which reported that four of every five adults who seek to join the military in 2014 do not make the cut.

The U.S. Army hopes to hit 57,000 recruits for active duty this year. It’s on pace to do just that, even while applying a stricter set of standards as it pertains to physical fitness, appearance (i.e., tattoos), intelligence test results and an applicant’s criminal history.

The Navy is no different.

“It’s not that we have a zero defect mentality, because we don’t,” Nathan Christensen, a Navy officer in public affairs for the Defense Department, told the Kansas City Star. “But it is true that the quality of military recruits right now is the highest it’s been in 40 years.”

The tough environment for potential recruits is due in large part to troop reductions in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the Pentagon’s plans to cut the size of the active duty Army.

The Kansas City Star reported that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel aims to lower active duty soldiers from 520,000 to 490,000 by autumn 2015.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Fewer people=more machines=more profit and less cost for the MIC and certain people in congress. And machines don't have ethics bothering them when given orders.

AuH20
05-13-2014, 09:55 PM
The personnel costs are staggering. So they can be selective.

DGambler
05-13-2014, 10:03 PM
So they're only accepting openly pyschopthic people now?

HOLLYWOOD
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Wait for the next WAR... plenty of military openings.

Kinda tells you how great the job market is today, even the DOD is turning down 4/5s of the applicants... of course I know quite a few in the military and they're staying put, since there's very little to look forward to in the private sector.

PS: I couldn't believe how uneducated, irrational, ineffective the personnel occupying the military branches. Maybe that's why Henry Kissinger made his derogatory statement about the military soldier.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Wait for the next WAR... plenty of military openings.

Kinda tells you had great the job market is today, even the DOD is turning down 4/5s of the applicants... of course I know quite a few in the military and they're staying put, since there's very little to look forward to in the private sector.
Rather interesting how the military became a jobs program in the 20th century, isn't it? :(

Natural Citizen
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
They probably get more servicemen as a result of immigration and so less need for Americans. Immigrants fresh over the border don't particularly hold the same loyalties to the constitution or the people of America either, I'd imagine.

Am I off base by saying that?

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2014, 10:29 PM
They probably get more servicemen as a result of immigration and so less need for Americans. Immigrants fresh over the border don't particularly hold the same loyalties to the constitution or the people of America either, I'd imagine.

I don't know of such a trend. Immigrants-particularly from latin America-tend to come to do manual labor.

UWDude
05-14-2014, 01:53 AM
I don't know of such a trend. Immigrants-particularly from latin America-tend to come to do manual labor.

Latinos are heavily represented in the US armed forces.
At least from reading icasualties.org, I noticed it seemed about 25% of the dead were latino names.

Acala
05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Fewer people=more machines=more profit and less cost for the MIC and certain people in congress. And machines don't have ethics bothering them when given orders.

This^. Remember, the goal of the military-industrial complex and our foreign policy is to take your money and put it into the pockets of crony-capitalists. Soldiers are not the optimal means for doing this. Of course the military must buy personal equipment for them and house them and feed them, but they have a nasty habit of ending up in a bag and that makes for bad press. It is much more lucrative and less politically inflammatory for the military to buy hugely expensive machinery and weapons systems (drones, for example). Hence the move away from warm bodies in harm's way and towards expensive stuff that nobody weeps about when it is destroyed. Of course an effective military operation requires warm bodies in harm's way, but effective military operation is beside the point. It is all about money.

juleswin
05-14-2014, 09:08 AM
People complain when they lower their standards and start accepting every Tom, Dick and Harry and now they have increased their standards and become more selective and people still complain. I mean, what do you want them to do?

Cutlerzzz
05-14-2014, 09:13 AM
People complain when they lower their standards and start accepting every Tom, Dick and Harry and now they have increased their standards and become more selective and people still complain. I mean, what do you want them to do?

Close up shop.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2014, 11:45 AM

They're on it....

Now The Military Is Going To Build Robots That Have Morals

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2014/05/now-military-going-build-robots-have-morals/84325/?oref=d-topstory

Are robots capable of moral or ethical reasoning? It’s no longer just a question for tenured philosophy professors or Hollywood directors. This week, it’s a question being put to the United Nations.

The Office of Naval Research will award $7.5 million in grant money over five years to university researchers from Tufts, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Brown, Yale and Georgetown to explore how to build a sense of right and wrong and moral consequence into autonomous robotic systems.

“Even though today’s unmanned systems are ‘dumb’ in comparison to a human counterpart, strides are being made quickly to incorporate more automation at a faster pace than we’ve seen before,” Paul Bello, director of the cognitive science program at the Office of Naval Research told Defense One. “For example, Google’s self-driving cars are legal and in-use in several states at this point. As researchers, we are playing catch-up trying to figure out the ethical and legal implications. We do not want to be caught similarly flat-footed in any kind of military domain where lives are at stake.”

More at link...

cajuncocoa
05-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm not unhappy to hear that the military is having these troubles, but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that applicants aren't qualifying is: this is the Xbox effect again. Many of the kids today just wouldn't have been able to keep up with our generation.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm not unhappy to hear that the military is having these troubles, but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that applicants aren't qualifying is: this is the Xbox effect again. Many of the kids today just wouldn't have been able to keep up with our generation.

http://jdrewscott.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/picture-4.png

Ronin Truth
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I guess not enough members of the psychopath and sociopath pools are choosing to volunteer for the military. They probably have a much lower risk of getting shot if they just become cops.

angelatc
05-14-2014, 01:03 PM
The tough environment for potential recruits is due in large part to troop reductions in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as the Pentagon’s plans to cut the size of the active duty Army.

The Kansas City Star reported that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel aims to lower active duty soldiers from 520,000 to 490,000 by autumn 2015.

Good.

eduardo89
05-14-2014, 01:19 PM

They're not having any trouble meeting their recruitment quotas, they're just being more selective.

eduardo89
05-14-2014, 01:21 PM

You cannot join the military unless you are a US citizen or a permanent resident. To be an officer you must be a citizen.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
You cannot join the military unless you are a US citizen or a permanent resident. To be an officer you must be a citizen.

Give it time...

Bills Open Military to Some Illegal Immigrants

16 Jan 2014

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/01/16/bills-open-military-to-some-illegal-immigrants.html

Lawmakers meeting with military recruiting officials on Thursday said they support efforts to open up the armed services to men and women who were brought into the country illegally, but as children.

Reps. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., and Jeff Denham, R-Calif., both have bills that would give this group of men and women a chance to serve and go on to legal permanent residency and apply for citizenship, the Congressmen testified at a hearing of the House Armed Services Committee's military personnel panel.

"I'm worried that the future pool of recruits may not be able to maintain the elite standards that we've established," said Coffman, a former Army soldier and Marine Corps officer. "Factors such as an improving economy, cultural changes, and how a generation views the military service, or when our nation is engaged in conflicts that, quite frankly, lack popular support – all these factors can contribute to the numbers of qualified applicants applying to be in our military."

Denham noted that many military age men and women arrived in the U.S. as kids, through no fault of their own.

"For the many thousands of undocumented immigrants who graduated from our public and private high schools each year, military service would offer an avenue for them to serve the United States and earn a legal status in the country they love," said Denham, who served 16 years in the Air Force and Air Force Reserve.

Denham said he joined the military at 17, while still in high school. In the military he met a number of Filipinos who joined up and later became citizens.

He introduced legislation in June 2013 that would allow those brought into the U.S. illegally before they were age 15 to enlist in the military, as long as they were otherwise qualified. Through completing honorable service they would be made legal permanent residents, under the bill, H.R. 2377.

fisharmor
05-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I see cyborgs teetering around the home improvement stores often enough that it makes me wonder whether we really need to check if a guy has a high IQ before he gets maimed.

PRB
05-14-2014, 02:09 PM
good to know there won't be a draft

Acala
05-14-2014, 02:20 PM

But you can be a mercenary! Applications now being accepted. It's like being a soldier but you get paid more and you don't have to shine your shoes all the damn time. And the only rule of engagement is "FUCK YEAH!"

Pericles
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM
The Army is in throw people out and kick them to the curb mode. Will change as soon as the next war starts.

heavenlyboy34
05-14-2014, 02:43 PM
The Army is in throw people out and kick them to the curb mode. Will change as soon as the next war starts.
What's the disincentive causing the Army to do that? /curious

heavenlyboy34
05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
I see cyborgs teetering around the home improvement stores often enough that it makes me wonder whether we really need to check if a guy has a high IQ before he gets maimed.
Well, Skynet became self-aware not too long ago...

Pericles
05-14-2014, 02:45 PM
What's the disincentive causing the Army to do that? /curious

Internal accounting system for retirement and VA benefits.

HOLLYWOOD
05-14-2014, 02:53 PM
The point I would like everyone to focus upon... if the DOD is turning down such substantial amount of applicants (4/5ths/80%), then why are there:

1.) Retention Bonuses for existing military members
2.) Spending $100s of Millions in advertising to recruit

Just NASCAR one car/driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., is sponsored by the National Guard at a cost of $30 Million per year. Hardly any of the accepted applicants ceited the National Guard sponsorship as the reason they joined.

Proves yet more failure and the fact of wasted taxpayer money

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7316/10564514636_3f5e03179c_z.jpg

eduardo89
05-14-2014, 02:56 PM
The point I would like everyone to focus upon... if the DOD is turning down such substantial amount of applicants (4/5ths/80%), then why are there:

1.) Retention Bonuses for existing military members
Because it costs a shitload to train people.

roho76
05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
What the fuck do they need troops for when they can rain death from above. Hey, at least they've made death more efficient.

Ronin Truth
05-14-2014, 03:35 PM
By the rule of large numbers, we may just be seeing another instance of the 80/20 Rule in action.

What Is The 80/20 Rule And Why It Will Change Your Life?
http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/397/80-20-rule-pareto-principle/

Demigod
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
There are no jobs for young people so this is happening around the globe.There was an article last year where even the French Foreign Legion ( the place known for recruiting killers and as having a pension plan of a bullet to the back ) is filling up with people with clear records and even university diplomas.The army is one of the few industries where old people are not needed and young people that join in time can advance their careers .

LibForestPaul
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM

I do not think AirForce or Coast Guard or DOD DC is hiring immigrants (except maybe Israeli or British), could be wrong.
Army, Marines???

Anti Federalist
05-14-2014, 04:43 PM
There are no jobs for young people so this is happening around the globe.There was an article last year where even the French Foreign Legion ( the place known for recruiting killers and as having a pension plan of a bullet to the back ) is filling up with people with clear records and even university diplomas.The army is one of the few industries where old people are not needed and young people that join in time can advance their careers .

We are rushing at mach speed into a world in which we will be superfluous.

A prison planet of our own creation, teeming with billions of people, unwanted, with no purpose, under total surveillance and run by a bunch of out of control authoritarians and "green" Reds who view humanity as a plague.

Yeah, can't see what will go wrong with that...

Fail, the future is. :(

Pericles
05-14-2014, 04:46 PM
What the fuck do they need troops for when they can rain death from above. Hey, at least they've made death more efficient.

While it has long been a McNamara / Rumsfeld fantasy to fight wars by remote control from the E-Ring, you still don't own it until a infantryman with a bayonet stands on it.

kcchiefs6465
05-14-2014, 05:48 PM
I do not think AirForce or Coast Guard or DOD DC is hiring immigrants (except maybe Israeli or British), could be wrong.
Army, Marines???
I am not sure of the exact statistics for immigrants joining the armed forces but it is considerable. Hispanics in general are over-represented, though. Same with blacks.

They target inner-city kids with visions of grandeur, traveling the world, not actually having to see combat, having their college paid for, and more. Often there aren't many opportunities elsewhere. And with 'No Child Left Behind' schools cannot refuse to supply military recruiters with information on their student body. Federal funding will be withheld if they do. Even Harvard has a recruiting post on campus though they held out for quite a while. The number was something stupid on the amount of Federal aid they receive. Close to 650,000,000 dollars if I recall correctly.

jclay2
05-14-2014, 06:05 PM

A prison planet of our own creation, teeming with billions of people, unwanted, with no purpose, under total surveillance and run by a bunch of out of control authoritarians and "green" Reds who view humanity as a plague.

Completely agree. One way, though, that I think helps fight against this trend is to constantly innovate yourself with new knowledge and skills. Never before in the history of the world has knowledge and education been so accessible.

Tod
05-14-2014, 06:45 PM
I suspect a large percentage of the applicants are having difficulty finding work thanks to the minimum wage laws. There is probably a bifurcation going on in society with the loss of the middle class: those with education and contacts and those without.

Austrian Econ Disciple
05-14-2014, 09:07 PM

We had voluntary early RELAD for a few years before my contract expired in 2011 (USCG). We were all ready the strictest when it came to recruitment and let me say it wasn't all that strict (I guess having a Father who retired as Chief sort-of helped, but really as long as you score 50th+ percentile on the trivially easy ... shit forgot the name of the test.., anyways, you're good to go if you don't have any medical problems). It's not like they've restricted their recruitment to only future Einstein's with binocular vision.

orenbus
05-14-2014, 09:39 PM

Latinos are heavily represented in the US armed forces.
At least from reading icasualties.org, I noticed it seemed about 25% of the dead were latino names.

I am not sure of the exact statistics for immigrants joining the armed forces but it is considerable. Hispanics in general are over-represented, though. Same with blacks.

Since when did being Hispanic/Latino in the armed forces automatically mean they must be an Immigrant there to take someone's job or that they have less loyalty to the constitution or the people of America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomPjp3ydek

Reading through some of these comments in this thread is a bit confusing. I'm trying to understand, are some of you saying all Hispanic/Latinos that are legal citizens in this country regardless of how many generations their family has been here or when they may have immigrated (remembering that all our families are immigrants unless you are native American) deserve less of a chance to join the armed forces if they choose to apply?

UWDude
05-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Reading through some of these comments in this thread is a bit confusing. I'm trying to understand, are some of you saying all Hispanic/Latinos that are legal citizens in this country regardless of how many generations their family has been here or when they may have immigrated (remembering that all our families are immigrants unless you are native American) deserve less of a chance to join the armed forces if they choose to apply?

Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Latinos are 17% of the American population, but it felt like they were 25 - 33% of the Iraqi dead. (I didn't actually do the math, I just noted it). Also, Iraqi insurgents claimed they were killing lots of brown, unmarked soldiers, that were not being mentioned in the casualty reports.

I think a better south park clip would be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnEBSwdAXw

orenbus
05-14-2014, 10:17 PM
I think a better south park clip would be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnEBSwdAXw

LOL nice. :)

heavenlyboy34
05-14-2014, 10:42 PM
I suspect a large percentage of the applicants are having difficulty finding work thanks to the minimum wage laws. There is probably a bifurcation going on in society with the loss of the middle class: those with education <schooling> and contacts and those without.
FIFY. The ugly open secret is that the "education" system-whether higher ed or "lower" ed, pumps out far more thoughtless dolts than really educated people. Considering how much of the population goes to college, the majority of the population should be thoughtful, well-read and generally knowledgeable. However, all the empirical data I've seen suggests the opposite is the case. /ramble

kcchiefs6465
05-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Since when did being Hispanic/Latino in the armed forces automatically mean they must be an Immigrant there to take someone's job or that they have less loyalty to the constitution or the people of America?

I think my post was misunderstood.

I actually clarified that I was unaware of the statistics regarding immigrants, that is, those under immigrant status, in the armed forces. I am aware of the statistics regarding the percentage of Hispanics in the armed forces. Hispanics of course not denoting any immigrant status, simply that they recognize themselves most closely as being culturally and ethnically from a given region. I have no doubt of their patriotic zeal or nationalistic tendencies.

As to taking jobs, they do indeed take jobs. Close to a trillion dollars a year, largely paid through corporate 'taxes' or inflationary schemes; I have no doubt jobs are negatively affected. I am not speaking of any so called problem of immigration, I am speaking of the soldiers who are paid puppets (if that) effecting their puppeteers' wishes.

That is not what I'm saying.

To be clear, what I am stating is that they are sacrificing themselves, ignorant of the exact situation, for war criminals and petty, politicized, profiteering, reasonings.

Yet I am marked the bigot for pointing out such unabashed truths. Let the great humanitarian, candidate for minorities explain the reasoning behind why he must sacrifice their body and mind for 'peace.'

orenbus
05-15-2014, 01:34 AM
kcchief the reason for my asking for more information was because I was honestly confused with what was being said or implied based on this post :

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?451878-No-Uncle-Sam-doesn%92t-really-want-YOU-Military-now-turns-down-80-of-applicants&p=5528031&viewfull=1#post5528031

and the nature of discussion that followed from it in other posts in this thread, it wasn't to assign bigotry to anyone, but to ask for more details from those that were responding since I didn't know if I was misinterpreting something or not. I appreciate what you wrote above, thanks for taking the time to clarifying.

DamianTV
05-15-2014, 07:11 AM
I wonder how many do not qualify because of a conviction of smokin of teh ganja...

HOLLYWOOD
05-15-2014, 07:25 AM
FIFY. The ugly open secret is that the "education" system-whether higher ed or "lower" ed, pumps out far more thoughtless dolts than really educated people. Considering how much of the population goes to college, the majority of the population should be thoughtful, well-read and generally knowledgeable. However, all the empirical data I've seen suggests the opposite is the case. /rambleCorrect... exactly how they want it.

Ronin Truth
05-15-2014, 09:01 AM

Population Reduction & New World Order

Eliminate the Useless Eaters

http://www.mt.net/~watcher/nwoeaters.html (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/Dial%20Protected)

By Paula Demers

Every time I turn around I will hear over the news, or read in the paper of the tremendous over population of our planet. This is very interesting, because, from what I understand, if you took the entire population of the world, stood them side by side in the state of Texas, each person would have 1000 square feet. We are also told through various media sources, that we are using up the earths precious resources.

Yet we have the technology to find a license plate on a car by use of a satellite. We have the technology for our government to listen to every phone call going on in the United States by use of a computer. This computer has about 400 key words, that if it picks up on any of these words, will record the phone call. We have the technology to put a computer chip contain all information on a person in the back of their hand the size of a grain of rice . We have the technology to put all information on a person on a strip in the back of their license, that can be run though a little machine and call up all info on that person. Is the media trying to tell us that we don't have the ability to use the earths precious resources wisely to feed and cloth everyone on the planet? I mean, our government pays farmers not to grow food. Food in third world countries is stored in buildings and left to rot. What is going on here?

What would be the purpose of stressing a fact that isn't even true? For those of you folks who have read the Iron Mountain Report, you will notice that they stress that the population would have to be at a controllable level. They give many examples on how the population could be brought down to a level that would be controllable. The simple fact is that there are simply too many people on the earth to be controlled at this point.

The following information is taken from the report written by Dr. J Coleman, (copyright 1992: 2533 North Carson Street, Carson City, NV 89706) "Global 2000: A Blueprint For Global Genocide". I will be using quotes out of the report that should get every reader thinking.
[I can't tell you what Demers quoted so you will have to buy Coleman's book for yourself.To purchase any of Dr. Coleman's books, telephone his office at 800 942-0821. Also available are his many monographs and his magazine, World in Review. Coleman's book and newsletter should prove to be a valuable resource, if the quotes that I can no longer post here are any indication - watcher website]

In the first paragraph of the report Dr. Coleman wrote, he stated,

QUOTE OMITTED.
Subject: Committee of 300 reproduction
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:35:44 -0700
To: watcher@mt.net
refer to: http://www.mt.net/~watcher/nwoeaters.html Dr. Coleman, author and copyright holder of the book Committee of 300, has instructed me to tell you to remove all references to this book and any other of his publications from your internet site by May 25, 2001. Dr. Coleman did not give permission for you to publish his works and America West Publishers do not have any authority to grant you such right. To avoid legal action arising out of violation of copyright laws, please comply with this instruction by May 25, 2001. Should you require verification, you may call Dr. Coleman’s office at (800) 942-0821.

The quotes I have given from Dr. Coleman's report sound pretty unbelievable. Or do they? Let's take a look at what is happening in our country. In the report, Dr. Coleman [we can't tell you what he mentioned]. Abortion has killed about 36 million babies. Many in America have been conditioned to believe this is not murder, but it has reduce America's population by 36 million. The gay life style was encouraged, because with same sex partners, there is no procreation.

The education system in America has "dumb downed" our children so much that people are going to and graduating from college who can't read. Outcome based Education does not teach the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic. It is training our children to become "global citizens".

The environmental movement is bringing man down to a level lower than the animals. In public schools, children are being taught to worship "Mother Earth". People can no longer do with their property what they want, but are accountable to the government if they want to add a room to their house, put a side walk up, cut a tree down.

Our weather is being controlled. Droughts, earthquakes, floods, hurricanes are rampant. People are starving to death because of droughts in their countries and the food being shipped to them is being left to rot in storage houses.

Aids is rampant. The behaviors that cause the spread of Aids is being encouraged by our government.

Civilian labor camps are being put up on military installations. Saw an interesting article in the Daily News, January 8, 1995. It was called "Doing Time On The Outside". It talks about using prisoners to do work, like construction or road work, while they are in prison to save the taxpayers money. A sign on outside the Department of Corrections said, "Inmate Work Crews, Reducing Costs to Taxpayers". As I was reading the article, the thought kept going through my mind,

"Is this how they are going to get people use to seeing prisoner slave labor?"

Global 2000 doesn't seem to have a list of people who they want to get. It seems that they consider most of the population "useless eaters". I do imagine they will go after people fighting this first. There was no evidence that folks who keep quite and don't try to get the word out would be safe. No one will be safe. The Committee of 300 believe that the world is theirs to do with as they want. The rest of us are excess baggage. This report reminds me of a scripture verse. Matthew 24:21-22, "For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. and except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/useless_eaters.htm