PDA

View Full Version : How a mayor’s quest to unmask a foul-mouthed Twitter user blew up in his face

twomp
05-13-2014, 01:15 PM
When news broke that the mayor of Peoria, Illinois, had called upon his town's police force to shut down a fake Twitter account opened in his name; that local police had responded with search warrants against Twitter, Comcast, and Google; that they had at last raided a local home and seized four iPhones, four computers, two Xbox game consoles, an iPad, and a "large gold gift bag with five sandwich bags containing a green leafy substance;" that the homeowner hadn't created the account but was ultimately suspended from his job as a result of that "green leafy substance;" that Peoria's next city council meeting descended into outright acrimony over the heavy-handedness of the entire episode; and that the entire episode turned out to be a colossal waste of time and resources in which no one but the pot owner was ever charged with a crime—well, that's the moment at which a curious reporter files a public records act request to get a glimpse of how such a trainwreck got underway.

So I filed one—and the backstory I found was fascinating.

Could your town's mayor spark a police investigation into your activities that ends with town cops rifling through your mobile phone, your laptop, and the full contents of your Gmail account—all over an alleged misdemeanor based on something you wrote on social media? Not in America, you say? But you'd be wrong. Here, based on e-mail records provided by the City of Peoria to Ars Technica, is what that sort of investigation looks like.

The name on the @peoriamayor account read simply "Jim Ardis"—the actual name of Peoria's mayor—and it featured Ardis' official city headshot. Its content was less than mayoral, however, most of it devoted to not particularly clever ways of suggesting that Ardis liked booze, drugs, and prostitutes and that he "woke up with pussy on my breath and blood shot eyes."

@peoriamayor was never popular; when it first came to the attention of city staffers, the foul-mouthed account was tweeting out bile like "I'm bout to climb the civic center and do some lines on the roof who's in?" to just 33 people and had been active for just two days. But it was public enough for someone to alert Patrick Urich, Peoria's city manager, who runs the city's day-to-day affairs and oversees its $169 million budget and 700 employees.

On March 11, 2014, Urich was working early. "Someone is using the Mayor's likeness in a twitter account," he wrote to Peoria's Chief Information Officer Sam Rivera at 6:06am. "It's not him. @Peoriamayor. Can you work to get it shut down today?"

Read the rest here:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/how-a-mayors-quest-to-unmask-a-foul-mouthed-twitter-user-blew-up-in-his-face/

aGameOfThrones
05-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Sue, sue, sue!

"It went way over the line. It wasn't, ''The mayor's fat and bald and losing his hair and he's a bad politician.' For that reason, my immediate reaction was a deeply personal one on behalf of my family and myself. As a person, I felt a victim of sexual doggerel and filth. It was filth. It was absolute filth. And perhaps I'm guilty of reacting as a man, as a father, and as a husband, rather than as a government official with whom constituents might disagree."

You reacted like a douchebag who thinks himself king, asshole.

ClydeCoulter
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Sue, sue, sue!

You reacted like a douchebag who thinks himself king, asshole.

Sue? who is she?

And, "Settingsgaard", Really? Who makes this stuff up?

RJB
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
"large gold gift bag with five sandwich bags containing a green leafy substance;"

When I was in the Marines there was a sailor I knew who had the Military Police bust in his room because someone smelled marijuana smoke-- it was strawberry scented incense. The sailor did occasionally smoke pot, but he passed the urinalysis. The MPs claimed to have found a "green leafy substance" in his car. For 6 months he had this hanging over his head.

It wound up being grass (literal grass) that he tract in from a fresh mowed lawn.

jtap
05-14-2014, 11:32 AM
That was some decent reporting. Well done Nate Anderson.