PDA

View Full Version : The Bud Light-ification of Bud

CaseyJones
05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/magazine/the-bud-light-ification-of-bud.html?src=twr&_r=0

There are many things that bother Jon Cooper about the market for marijuana.

“It’s nearly impossible to find a consistent product,” said Cooper, one of the legion of tech start-up guys and M.B.A.s plunging into the world of pot. “You go into a dispensary and buy something called ‘Sour Diesel’ and try it. You go to another dispensary, buy ‘Sour Diesel,’ and it’s a different experience. You go back to the first dispensary, buy it again and it’s not the same, either.”

Despite the inconsistency, nobody doubts marijuana’s popularity as a consumer product: 38 percent of Americans admit to having tried it, and 7 percent use it on a regular basis. But for decades, it has been produced and sold primarily on the black market, which has only recently developed shades of gray and white.

This has wrenched the ancient psychotropic substance into the machinery of 21st-century consumer capitalism — with all the consultants, marketers, brand advisers and scientists that come with it. A joint might never be as easy to access as a can of beer or a cigarette. But thousands of people and millions of dollars are hard at work to make it as predictable and dependable as one. Call it the Bud Light-ification of bud.

There’s a pressing economic reason for the pot industry to get better if it is to survive, aside from its formidable legal challenges. The plant is relatively cheap and easy to grow, and not complicated to process either. Left to the whims of the open market — meaning ignoring taxes and regulations — the price of a joint could plummet to the price of a tea bag or a packet of sugar. So how will investors help the market mature while still making money?

pcosmar
05-13-2014, 10:27 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/magazine/the-bud-light-ification-of-bud.html?src=twr&_r=0

If,,and it is a big If still,,
If it were legal,, the Flower tops and leaf would be only a small part of the whole.

When Hemp was cultivated commercially throughout ,well, most of world history,, those were mostly discarded.. Used by some but not widely marketed.
The Fiber,, and Oils were the marketed portion. And those would still be highly profitable. And new machinery and technology would only increase that.
Marketing the flower-tops would be bonus. Basically selling what was once the discarded portion of the plant.

surf
05-13-2014, 10:57 AM
A joint might never be as easy to access as a can of beer or a cigarette. But thousands of people and millions of dollars are hard at work to make it as predictable and dependable as one. Call it the Bud Light-ification of bud.
"Bud Light-ification" to me implies "turn it into piss-water" rather than cause consistency across markets.

the article seems to make a case for gov't classification and standards. scary.

cajuncocoa
05-13-2014, 11:00 AM
"Bud Light-ification" to me implies "turn it into piss-water" rather than cause consistency across markets.

the article seems to make a case for gov't classification and standards. scary.
"Bud Light-ification" to me means commercialization. Capitalists (or what passes for a capitalist these days) gonna capitalize. I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

CPUd
05-13-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't know if I'd want to smoke something called Sour Diesel.

kcchiefs6465
05-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Why not?

It's one of the better strains available.

Now "Green Crack" I could probably understand.

dannno
05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Why not?

It's one of the better strains available.

Now "Green Crack" I could probably understand.

Green crack is one of my favorite sativas.

You go to another dispensary, buy ‘Sour Diesel,’ and it’s a different experience. You go back to the first dispensary, buy it again and it’s not the same, either.”

That's not necessarily true. It could very well be the same strain with the same genetics grown under different conditions with different nutrients. When you buy sour diesel you expect to get the genetics, not necessarily the exact same product.

dannno
05-13-2014, 12:57 PM

Sure you do.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7ILFxETsS2ePmU08S5oqjZ2zvYHuR1 rmgGo12xycAEXwSsAnkOA

kcchiefs6465
05-13-2014, 01:03 PM

How about 'Ballsack'?

pcosmar
05-13-2014, 01:05 PM

Has some years ago,, (Sea Weed), was stored in a bilge and got soaked with Diesel.. was real cheap.

Didn't taste good at all.

jonhowe
05-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Try the Super Sour Diesel.

Blue dream is still my go to.

bunklocoempire
05-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Talk about a manufactured crisis. Who's idea was the "dispensary" in the first place? :rolleyes:

“It’s nearly impossible to find a consistent product,” said Cooper, one of the legion of tech start-up guys and M.B.A.s plunging into the world of pot. “You go into a dispensary and buy something called ‘Sour Diesel’ and try it. You go to another dispensary, buy ‘Sour Diesel,’ and it’s a different experience. You go back to the first dispensary, buy it again and it’s not the same, either.”

Market share dreams from M.B.A. guy. He's going to validate his schooling damn it!

Jon Cooper, before plunging into the world of pot with your M.B.A. I invite you to plunge into the world of reality...

Take care of the flippin' customer -it's that simple.
Get everything out of the way that interferes with taking care of the flippin' customer and you'll more easily achieve good great products and happy customers.

A great product was reportadly achieved with White Widow.

EDIT: To be fair I don't know a thing about Jon Cooper's views. It's the NYTs spin in a world of manufactured crisis.

acptulsa
05-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Yeah 'cause if every kernel of corn in the grocery store isn't identical in every way to every other kernel of corn I get nervous that Monsanto isn't making the world perfectly uniform enough for my autistic ass...

So remember, kiddies--nothing that God put on this green earth could possibly be good for you until Big Pharma is able to patent a method for stuffing it in a pill. And then it's so good for you that the legislature should pass a law forcing you to take it, of course.

'Cause what's good for Big Pharma is good for everybody!

loveshiscountry
05-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Most refer to it as sativa

at the top of the page "Sick of Buying Overpriced, Inconsistent Weed from your local “connection” ? Click Here " then they refer to it as an indica.

Strain Name: Green Crack
Grade: A+
Type: Indica
http://www.medicalmarijuanastrains.com/green-crack-3/

That's not necessarily true. It could very well be the same strain with the same genetics grown under different conditions with different nutrients. When you buy sour diesel you expect to get the genetics, not necessarily the exact same product.Different mothers and fathers among the breeders.
When it's harvested makes a bigger difference imo. An indica strain harvested at 50 days will lean sativa.

The more something is back crossed the more stable it gets. Although some of the desired effects for the cross may be lost. Sometimes you'll see two or three varieties on the description of a seed pack.

TheGrinch
05-13-2014, 04:21 PM
It is a sick world we live in when you have to be more scared about what they'll put in it once they choke out competition and personal growers through "safety" regulations than you are with what's in the black market stuff.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2014, 05:09 PM
It is a sick world we live in when you have to be more scared about what they'll put in it once they choke out competition and personal growers through "safety" regulations than you are with what's in the black market stuff.
Welcome to Amerika! Land Of The Unfree, Home Of The Slave.

LibForestPaul
05-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Considering government intervention. If a Pakistani were to be denied service at one of these marijuana dispensers in Colorado, could said individual seek justice in Federal Courts on discrimination. Even though said business is operating illegal under Federal law.