PDA

View Full Version : Cop gets shot, house gets dornered.

mrsat_98
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/05/12/watch-new-hampshire-police-shooting-scene-blows-up-during-live-broadcast/

http://www.wcvb.com/news/police-swat-respond-to-brentwood-home-after-shots-fire/25939714#!MSIfO

CPUd
05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
It blew open the garage door

http://i.imgur.com/0uec1E1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ULK2zDw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N8DCQoo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lrH2pBg.jpg

Anti Federalist
05-12-2014, 09:26 PM
The BearCat did a lot of good.

CPUd
05-12-2014, 09:30 PM

There are 2 hiding behind it. After the blast they opened the back and jumped in. A few seconds later, they roll it back across the street. Must have gotten too hot for them.

JK/SEA
05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
the horror...

fisharmor
05-12-2014, 10:15 PM
So, they had a bearcat at a domestic call, and also media?

(Crosses NH off the list.....)

JK/SEA
05-12-2014, 10:17 PM
So, they had a bearcat at a domestic call, and also media?

(Crosses NH off the list.....)

cop showed up for a domestic and got shot...dead i believe...then SWAT...then kaboom...

Pericles
05-12-2014, 11:21 PM
Imagine the insurance claim on that .....

limequat
05-13-2014, 06:23 AM
So we get -what- 4 cops shot dead in 2 weeks?

tommyrp12
05-13-2014, 04:20 PM
NH Cops Turn Argument Into Shootout, House Fire (http://www.christophercantwell.com/2014/05/13/nh-cops-turn-argument-shootout-house-fire/)

Brentwood, NH Police Officer Steve Arkell Dead After Turning Argument Into Shootout.

Well, that escalated quickly. One police officer, and one “suspect” are dead after what began as a domestic argument Monday in a 55 and older community in Brentwood, NH, ended in a gun fight and exploding home.

86 year old Walter Nolan, lived on Mill Pond road with his son Michael, reports the Boston Herald. They got into some kind of argument, some time around 4:00pm. Rather than ask if everything was okay, a neighbor decided to call the most powerful gang in town, the Brentwood Police. Predictably, this did not improve matters any.
Part-time Brentwood police officer Steve Arkell, arrived on the scene shortly after, but apparently Michael Nolan didn’t want his “help”. Arkell, a 48 year old father of two, was shot to death as he entered the home, presumably without invitation. A second officer arrived on the scene, and also entered the home, but fled when he was met with what has been described as “rapid gun fire”.

Police flooded the scene, as an as of yet unknown cause started a fire inside the home, resulting in an explosion. The suspected shooter, is believed to have died in the blaze. His father was taken to the hospital for as of yet unreported injuries.

That’s about the summary of the available facts reported by the media so far, but allow me to speculate.

New Hampshire is a place with little gun control, and as a result, there is very little crime, at least in the private sector. As I read New Hampshire news, it seems like every time I hear about gun violence, the police are involved, and it usually involves them entering a home without the consent of the home owner.
I don’t know the Nolan family, but according to neighbors, they weren’t dangerous people. Susan Hughes told the Union Leader that Michael Nolan “never really talked to anybody; he stays upstairs with his TV on.” James Culbertson, 73, said the elder Nolan “seemed like a nice guy.” The Union Leader reported that Walter Nolan’s wife died two years ago, and Michael Nolan’s died of cancer in 2008.

So how do these seemingly normal people find themselves in a gun fight and exploding home? Obviously, it’s because the great escalators showed up. Some busybody neighbor hears an “argument” and thinks this is a really great reason to dial 911, knowing that the most violent people around (the police) are going to show up. Said violent people show up, enter the house with a gun, without permission, and surprisingly enough, these folks who didn’t ask for help, aren’t so happy about this.

For whatever reason, maybe he’s irrational because he’s in a heated argument, maybe he genuinely doesn’t know it’s a cop, maybe he’s rightfully fed up with police breaking into homes, the guy in the house opens fire on the cop, killing him. Once this happens, he knows his life is pretty much over. He knows that more police are going to come, and if he’s lucky enough to survive the ride to the jail, he’ll probably never leave. Faced with this horrific scenario, setting his home ablaze and taking his own life starts seeming like a reasonable alternative.

From the Houston Chronicle;

“The entire State of New Hampshire is in mourning over the tragic loss of Brentwood Officer Steve Arkell,” Gov. Maggie Hassan said in a statement. “Officer Arkell bravely answered the call of duty and made the ultimate sacrifice, a heroic demonstration of his commitment to the safety of his fellow citizens.

“Like so many of our first responders do on a daily basis, Officer Arkell courageously put his life on the line to protect others, and in doing so, was tragically taken far too soon,” she said.

As a New Hampshire resident, I couldn’t disagree more. I mourn the loss of Michael Nolan. I mourn the injuries of his father. I’m upset about the property damage. Not the loss of Officer Arkell’s life.

Steve Arkell would be fine if he had taken a job as a construction worker, or a computer technician, or as a fast food cook. Instead, he decided to walk into a stranger’s home with a weapon, and turn a simple argument into a gun fight and exploding home. If Arkell had not shown up, this story would probably not even be worthy of news coverage, just another spat between two widowers in a retirement community.

So the next time you’re thinking of calling 911 because your neighbors raise their voices, ask yourself if it’s worth all the death and destruction that so often follows these marauders around.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
So how do these seemingly normal people find themselves in a gun fight and exploding home? Obviously, it’s because the great escalators showed up. Some busybody neighbor hears an “argument” and thinks this is a really great reason to dial 911, knowing that the most violent people around (the police) are going to show up. Said violent people show up, enter the house with a gun, without permission, and surprisingly enough, these folks who didn’t ask for help, aren’t so happy about this.

For whatever reason, maybe he’s irrational because he’s in a heated argument, maybe he genuinely doesn’t know it’s a cop, maybe he’s rightfully fed up with police breaking into homes, the guy in the house opens fire on the cop, killing him. Once this happens, he knows his life is pretty much over. He knows that more police are going to come, and if he’s lucky enough to survive the ride to the jail, he’ll probably never leave. Faced with this horrific scenario, setting his home ablaze and taking his own life starts seeming like a reasonable alternative.

Look for this to happen more and more.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 04:28 PM
So we get -what- 4 cops shot dead in 2 weeks?

Yeah...war on cops.

Know how many have been shot this year?

16. For a whopping 7 percent increase over last year at this time, which was an all time record low.

More people have been hit by lightening and died in tornadoes.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 04:31 PM
So the next time you’re thinking of calling 911 because your neighbors raise their voices, ask yourself if it’s worth all the death and destruction that so often follows these marauders around.

No kidding...

Pericles
05-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Look for this to happen more and more.

accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security

More of mankind are finding the evils no longer sufferable.

pcosmar
05-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Imagine the insurance claim on that .....

Denied
Act of War.

squarepusher
05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
I believe there is a myth of "lax gun laws with lower gun violence" that goes through libertarian community.
The deep South states have some of the highest gun fatalities in the country, and also have the most easy gun laws in the nation.

satchelmcqueen
05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
good to s the cops getting what they have sewn. maybe start knocking?

tod evans
05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
I believe there is a myth of "lax gun laws with lower gun violence" that goes through libertarian community.
The deep South states have some of the highest gun fatalities in the country, and also have the most easy gun laws in the nation.

Southerners have better aim...

SeanTX
05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
NH Cops Turn Argument Into Shootout, House Fire (http://www.christophercantwell.com/2014/05/13/nh-cops-turn-argument-shootout-house-fire/)

Brentwood, NH Police Officer Steve Arkell Dead After Turning Argument Into Shootout.

Well, that escalated quickly. One police officer, and one “suspect” are dead after what began as a domestic argument Monday in a 55 and older community in Brentwood, NH, ended in a gun fight and exploding home.

Yeah, I can picture the officer barging into the house and bellowing "What's going here? Show me some f*ckin' ID! Keep your hands where I can see 'em!".

Like we see so often -- and every now and then they are shocked to learn that not everyone will just go meekly along, especially when they are on their own turf.

Henry Rogue
05-13-2014, 06:59 PM
I noticed the house was a duplex. I hope the 911 caller lived on the other side.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 07:47 PM
I noticed the house was a duplex. I hope the 911 caller lived on the other side.

LOL - That would be epic poetic justice.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Nonsense.

The three safest states in the nation are consistently NH, VT and ME.

With the exception of RI and MA the top ten safest states all have "lax" gun laws.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/20/10-most-peaceful-states_n_849768.html#s264535&title=10_Washington

In fact, they have some of the most "lax" laws in the country.

I contend that the overall drop in violent crime across the board is the rapid and nationwide growth in CCW.

The reason for deep south states having such high crime rates is taboo for discussion, and cannot be talked about.

Weston White
05-13-2014, 07:57 PM

Come on now, give those guys a break. Can you imagine the man-hours they all must be putting into buffing out the carnauba wax on that precious gem of obstinate manliness? Aside from the fact that they cannot bear taking the risk of it getting any dings or scratches, because that would just completely jeopardize their future PR photo-shoots. I mean seriously, how silly would their department look then, with totally egg on their faces, silliness?

...Imagine that department, already having to fund tens of thousands in repairs on it when they had stated that it would cost their taxpayers nothing, because the manufacture’s business model somehow permits them to hand out these outlandishly expensive recreational-vehicles by the boatload for free. Nope, far better to just raze entire homes or neighborhoods if it need be.

Weston White
05-13-2014, 08:36 PM

I think the federal government needs to seriously step up address street gangs through hardcore national legislation, major task-force funding, along with a the creation of several specialized prison models within each of its regional zones that implements new technologies, behavioral rehabilitation, educational, and life-skills training within a tiered boot camp and rewards setting (while effectively, treating street gangism as a lesser form of domestic terrorism). Over the course of the next six-years, respectively, we would see violent crimes, including narco-related crimes, decrease across the board by at least 60% and then another 25% in the following several years. We need to end this ridiculously, ridiculously, ridiculously insulting foreign 9/11 terrorism facade, meanwhile ignoring the true and present danger that has fully infiltrated America (e.g., Fresno, CA with a population of around 500,000, there is an estimated 10,000 gang-members).

unknown
05-14-2014, 06:08 AM

There is some truth to this but the "statistics" are skewed.

The anti-gun crowd factors in suicides by firearm but labels it as general "gun violence" or fatalities.

As a tool for self defense, proper use of a firearm still serves as an incredibly effective deterrent.

Keith and stuff
05-14-2014, 10:02 AM
What? Northern England England has historically had the lowest crime and the least bad gun laws in the nation. The Mountain West has historically had just about the least bad gun laws and some of the lowest crime in the nation (crime is lower in the Dakotas and Northern New England). The Southeast has historically had some of the highest crime and worst gun laws in the nation. In the last decade or so, that's changed. There has been a lot of improvement with gun laws in the Southeast. However, restrictions are still pretty bad in many of the states. Nevertheless, as the gun laws have been slowly reformed in the Southeast, crime has dropped.