PDA

View Full Version : A Little Tea to go a Long Way

Pages : [1] 2

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Here is the plan so far, let's amend it if we need to and get it done!

In which it is discussed the prospect of sending large amounts of tea bags to various government leaders in order to add an extra punch of advertising and protest to our big day.

Get your meetup group together. If you don't have a meetup group, get yourself together. Facebook, YouTube, MySpace, however you network online. No voice is too small here. Get some envelopes, and get some bags of tea. One of the big Lipton boxes or cartons of the things from Costco or your local grocer. It's cheap stuff.

Stuff the envelope and address it to your victim(s) of choice. Great suggestions I've heard are:

Your local congressman (if they've been naughty, that is)
Your state's Senators (the same goes for them)
King George and Viceroy Cheney (they sure as hell won't open it but they need to be bombarded nonetheless)
Ben Bernanke (no taxation witho...oh you know)
Maybe the other candidates? (But do we really need any more enemies? :rolleyes:)

Basically we figure there can be only one type of letter (By 'letter' I mean, basically, tea-bag recepticles, not any sort of manifesto or prose!!):

A Letter predicated on the original idea of the Boston Tea Party – more or less – a protest letter. Stuff these full and leave no explanation. History will do the talking. Lots of return addresses, your friends, roommates, parents, and anybody you know who loves Ron Paul and would do this, but doesn't have the time or wild-eyed spirit of revolution

We are protesting our leaders directly by sending them the symbolic bags of tea, sort of an “up yours!”

Then, when the time comes, we will protest our leaders AND the media, by showing them that we are no rag-tag outfit, by raising a ton of money on the 16th. This peaceful protest will only give us more exposure and more members will join in the donating.

We have a rally in Boston, we will, in all likelihood, have a BLIMP! (I still wonder about you all sometimes :p) and we sure as hell are going to turn Dr. Paul into Rich Uncle Pennybags in one glorious day and night :D. Why not up the ante even more? Show them that this is not just about the money, this is about the message. We will not be tread on any longer – at least not without a fight!

We need a start date. December 10th has been suggested as the day to begin mailing. This seems reasonable but I want to hear some discussion!

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 04:45 AM
First off, excellent summary of all the ideas discussed Perry. Good Job!

In a different context and a different scale, I brought a similar idea up when I first joined the Revolution a long time ago. During the course of researching that idea I found the closest thing to an authentic Boston Tea Party return address possible:

Griffin Wharf*
470 Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02210

If the recipient of a bag of tea just googles Griffin Warf, the context will become clear.

Most Important

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

Also, this is very high risk. Not to us as people, but to our credibility as a movement. If turnout is huge, it will be a turning point in the way our government and voters think. If turnout is so-so, or moderate levels, this whole operation will be a laughing stock.

We cannot win this thing without taking risks! If we play it safe we will just have to be satisfied with "influencing the debates". If we want to influence the American public and bring them back to their roots, this has to be a success. A successful protest of this type has enough originality, humor and appeal to patriotism to wake up the E! T.V. watcher.

To be a success, this has to go viral. All the meet ups, my space, digg, the whole nine yards. Like November 5th on steroids. To be a success, the supporters that would normally be skeptical dissenters are going to have to back up the supporters willing to go out on a limb. Unity is vital.

*It is now called Liberty Warf

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm going to head to Sam's first thing in the morning and buy tea and envelopes in bulk.

I'll start off with 100 bags and move up from there.

I'm going to hit all of the local outlets in Texas and national outlets around the country.

Should we make some kind of stamp to put on the envelopes or tea bags? We need some sort of uniformity for this stuff.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks for putting together the plan from the other thread in a clear form.

I just want to add, this is a FUN activitiy tied into our gigantic event that is cheap and everyone can be involved in.

Lets get this out and make it go viral quickly. A rEVOLution is at hand!

We have less than 40 days to everything we can to put Ron Paul and his message in the forefront of American politics. No reason to hold back.

JordanL
12-01-2007, 05:04 AM
This is a protest. Make no mistake and don't get squeamish.

Have your protest, or convince people to vote Ron Paul, but you will not be able to get both.

Very few people are EVER willing to pick up their protester hat and protest with your cause.

But a LOT of people are willing to pick up their voter hat and vote if you give them a decent reason.

Micahyah
I'm going to head to Sam's first thing in the morning and buy tea and envelopes in bulk.

I'm going to hit all of the local outlets in Texas and national outlets around the country.

Should we make some kind of stamp to put on the envelopes or tea bags? We need some sort of uniformity for this stuff.

I think the best method of uniformity would be the Griffin Wharf return address on the envelopes.

john_anderson_ii

I think, if we all use that return address, that will be significant uniformity. We also want to let the recipients know that each envelope is sent by a unique American.

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
I think, if we all use that return address, that will be significant uniformity. We also want to let the recipients know that each envelope is sent by a unique American.

How do we let them know they were sent by a unique American? Name on the envelope? Name on the letter? Should we include a way for them to contact us? We need to make a form letter so that this is as painless and simple as possible.

randolphus maximus
12-01-2007, 05:07 AM

I don't know, seems more grassrootsy if you do it how you want to.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:07 AM
I think the diversity of the postmarks will say it all. It doesn't have to be unique, it just has to feel unique. This should be nothing short of overwhelming in magnitude.

Benaiah
12-01-2007, 05:09 AM
//

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 05:09 AM
I don't know, seems more grassrootsy if you do it how you want to.

You're right but I also think that the easiest way to get a ton of people to do this is to make it simple and painless.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Have your protest, or convince people to vote Ron Paul, but you will not be able to get both.

Very few people are EVER willing to pick up their protester hat and protest with your cause.

But a LOT of people are willing to pick up their voter hat and vote if you give them a decent reason.

When forced to compromise I usually opt for both.

This isn't meant to be perceived by Joe Beer as a protest in the traditional sense. It's meant to be perceived by Joe Beer as "You are not alone, other people are disappointed in available leadership".

I made that comment so that everyone participating would know what they were getting into. It's not rioting in the streets for Christ's sake! It's sending a message of displeasure to someone who was once perceived as a public servant, but is now perceived as an authority figure.

Maybe knowing that their displeasure in the current direction of the government is not theirs alone will be reason enough to pick up a voter hat.

More to the point: We cannot win a mainstream nomination, in a mainstream way, while backing a candidate that won't tow the line. It's not going to happen! At some point, we are going to have to go out on a limb and make some big plays. It's just my opinion, but I think an opportunity like this is a big play that is going to have to be made. It's like the unlikely recovery of a 2 minute warning on-side kick. It's not likely, but to win we have to do it.

Libertad2008
12-01-2007, 05:27 AM
I think this is an amazing idea!

I do agree with the suggestion that we create "form" letters: 1 for members of the government, 1 for the media, and 1 for friends and family. I think this is important so that we can make sure the message is consistent, and that everyone knows how and why to donate.

Uniformity of message and intent is also critically important to the letters sent to the media. I suggest that we put together a short list of "grievances" (unconstitutional war, "inflation tax", etc.) to put in there as well, in the spirit of the original Tea Party.

I'm horrible at these things, but I think would be cool if it were written in an old English script/font, with a watermark of an old scene of the Boston Tea party towards the bottom, and an RP2008 logo of some sort at the top.

Another artsy suggestion:
If you brew some really strong black tea, you can stain the computer paper (before printing, I would assume) to look like old paper/parchment. This is a lot cheaper than buying expensive paper, and looks more authentic anyway. Just dip the paper for about 10-20 seconds, then hang it up on a line to dry. (If you really want it to look old, you can slightly burn the edges of the paper...it looks cool, but it might weird people out and keep them from reading it, but try it and decide).

I really wish I were in the States to help, but I'm doing my best while I'm away.

Long Live Liberty!!!

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:35 AM
I suggest that we put together a short list of "grievances" (unconstitutional war, "inflation tax", etc.) to put in there as well, in the spirit of the original Tea Party.

While I agree that this is a phenomenal idea, by the time we decided upon the content of the grievances the opportunity will have passed. What we have is anger and disappointment in our current direction, and a hope for a better tomorrow. This is going to have to be enough.

Another artsy suggestion:
If you brew some really strong black tea, you can stain the computer paper (before printing, I would assume) to look like old paper/parchment. This is a lot cheaper than buying expensive paper, and looks more authentic anyway. Just dip the paper for about 10-20 seconds, then hang it up on a line to dry. (If you really want it to look old, you can slightly burn the edges of the paper...it looks cool, but it might weird people out and keep them from reading it, but try it and decide).

It's a tough call, but we might have to choose quantity over quality here. We have to prove to the outside observer (the media) that we have enough pull to influence senatorial, congressional, and gubernatorial elections in the future.

voytechs
12-01-2007, 05:38 AM
Your state's Senators (the same goes for them)

My senator is Hillary, where do I check if she's been notty or not? (Just kidding, she's getting boatload of tea from me.)

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 05:48 AM
My senator is Hillary, where do I check if she's been notty or not? (Just kidding, she's getting boatload of tea from me.)

LOL.

I have Pelosi, Boxer, and DiFi

Omnis
12-01-2007, 06:00 AM
If you send letters with teabags in them, they will most likely be opened by homeland security and checked for drugs, etc.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:10 AM
If you send letters with teabags in them, they will most likely be opened by homeland security and checked for drugs, etc.

That would be awesome!!! Imagine a senator who didn't know what was going on within their own United States due to Homeland Security "security" issues. If that doesn't make Ron Paul's case for him, I don't know what will.

Omnis
12-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah, but I only say that because I know the guy who runs the DHL facility at Miami Intl Airport. The Homeland Security/Customs officers there are always opening packages to check for illegal substances. Dunno if that happens with USPS too, but a teabag would seem like a conspicuous vessel for that kind of stuff.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah, but I only say that because I know the guy who runs the DHL facility at Miami Intl Airport. The Homeland Security/Customs officers there are always opening packages to check for illegal substances. Dunno if that happens with USPS too, but a teabag would seem like a conspicuous vessel for that kind of stuff.

I think the whole point of this drive is conspicuousness. We want to be seen and heard. If a single tea bag is conspicuous, then a couple thousand would be.....

Like I said earlier, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 07:18 AM
I'm willing to make as many as it takes to get the word out. I'm doing some tests with staining the paper with coffee (its cheaper). Seeing whether the ink will stay on during staining or if I should stain all of the paper before hand.

I think I'm going to make a stamp for the outside of the envelope that says:

teaparty07.com
RonPaul08.com

Then I'll include an envelope with the Griffin Wharf return address, a teabag, and a note inside.

We've got some time, but I don't know why we should wait until Dec. 10th. The sooner we get these out the better. The more press will build.

Any more suggestions?

Real_CaGeD
12-01-2007, 07:27 AM
great idea, please tea bag the media HARD.

Please post the form letters.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 11:31 AM
OK, I'm going to say this one last time and if you guys don't get it, even though this was my idea, I will disassociate myself from it.

DO NOT SEND TEA TO THE MEDIA!!! Dammit. Stop being stupid about this!!! You will only piss them off and cause NEGATIVE SPIN. Don't we already have enough problems with the media???

And exactly what would that message to the media be? Obey the Constitution? Stop taxing us? Get out of our lives? This message is for the government NOT THE MEDIA. The media is needed to REPORT IT, not be the recipient of it.

The tea goes ONLY to the president, vice-president and every member of Congress except the obvious. THAT'S ALL! OTHERWISE THE MESSAGE GETS CONFUSED!!! PLEASE TRY TO GET A GRIP ON THIS CONCEPT. The original participants of the Boston tea party DID NOT SEND TEA TO THE NEWSPAPERS!!!!

The concept is simple. DO NOT COMPLICATE IT OR IT WILL NOT WORK>
Simply send as many tea bags, NOTHING ELSE, NO LETTERS, NOTHING!!! to the white house, Cheney and all of your state's Congressmen.
FIRST, no letters will be read after the first one anyway so why waste your time, ink and paper.
SECOND, the TEA IS THE MESSAGE!!! YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE MESSAGE THAN THAT. ONLY AN IMBECILE WOULDN'T GET IT. Whatever you add to that only DIMINISHES THE MESSAGE.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry to be so strident but some of you guys have taken a fantastic idea and run right off the road with it.

SENDING TEA TO STRANGERS PICKED OUT OF THE PHONE BOOK!!!! F**K. Are you out of your f*****g mind??? Do you want to start an anthrax scare and sink RP's candidacy forever???

ONLY CONGRESS, THE PRESIDENT AND THE VICE-PRESIDENT.

NO ONE, THAT IS NO ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ELSE. PERIOD.
And tea bags only. Nothing else. No bulk tea. No letters. No petitions. JUST THE TEA BAGS.

Just imagine the MSM reading those letters over the air, huh? Got any ideas how they'll spin them??? Huh??? Do you??? They'll take a perfectly rational letter and read just the right parts to make you and Ron Paul look like morons. DAMMIT> THINK!!!!! If there are no letters, there is nothing to spin!!!

Bulk tea. Sure. I can just hear them now... "Homeland Security is examining thousands of packages containing a mysterious tea-like substance sent in by Ron Paul supporters."

TEA BAGS ONLY. NOTHING ELSE AT ALL!!! TEA BAGS MUST HAVE A BRAND NAME ON THEM. THIS MUST BE DONE SO THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL LOOK MORONIC IF THEY TRY TO MAKE THE TEA BAGS LOOK LIKE SOME KIND OF THREAT.

OK, are we all on the same page now or do I have to publicly announce I will have nothing more to do with this?

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
My best friend works for a Senator and here is her take.

DON'T use a form address or put anything on the outside. Once they get the letters/ packages and figure out what is going on, they will toss the rest without opening. You people think that they are way too sophisticated. Other than the president (though I doubt it there too) there is no big mail screening. "Mail screening" means that whatever comes is opened by a 19 year old intern. And believe me, those 19 year old interns will start bitching and talking.

However, DO use your own return address. They are obligated to open mail from their constituents. You would be best off sending it to your state office too, not their office in Washington.

Getting different sizes (i.e. 1 letter with 1 bag) and larger packages from different sources, ups, usps, fedex, would be best.

In other words, do what you want and it will be most authentic and make the biggest impact.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 11:47 AM
My best friend works for a Senator and here is her take.

DON'T use a form address or put anything on the outside. Once they get the letters/ packages and figure out what is going on, they will toss the rest without opening. You people think that they are way too sophisticated. Other than the president (though I doubt it there too) there is no big mail screening. "Mail screening" means that whatever comes is opened by a 19 year old intern. And believe me, those 19 year old interns will start bitching and talking.

However, DO use your own return address. They are obligated to open mail from their constituents. You would be best off sending it to your state office too, not their office in Washington.

Getting different sizes (i.e. 1 letter with 1 bag) and larger packages from different sources, ups, usps, fedex, would be best.

In other words, do what you want and it will be most authentic and make the biggest impact.

This sounds like very good advice.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I edited the opening page to reflect the content of some of you guy's ideas.

The new points to remember:

DO use your own return address, or at least a return address of a friend or family member (or all of the above :D) This will ensure that the congressman or other elected representative will open it, or it will at least be opened by SOMEONE

DON'T mail any sort of long-winded scrawl, and especially not to your congressman. Those tea bags that you hopefully stuffed in there have a lot of baggage. History will do the talking for us! If you write to the media, remember, just ONE tea bag, and a little note with the teaparty website will do. Be nice.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 12:14 PM
I edited the opening page to reflect the content of some of you guy's ideas.

The new points to remember:

DO use your own return address, or at least a return address of a friend or family member (or all of the above :D) This will ensure that the congressman or other elected representative will open it, or it will at least be opened by SOMEONE

DON'T mail any sort of long-winded scrawl, and especially not to your congressman. Those tea bags that you hopefully stuffed in there have a lot of baggage. History will do the talking for us! If you write to the media, remember, just ONE tea bag, and a little note with the teaparty website will do. Be nice.

Better, but again... DO NOT WRITE TO THE MEDIA! AND ESPECIALLY DO NOT SEND THEM EVEN A SINGLE TEA BAG!!! They will get ahold of this all on their own. They are sick of getting inundated by us and rightly so. We have good reason to do so on numerous occasions. This is not one of them. They will view it negatively.

Naraku
12-01-2007, 12:20 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5706/teapartyinvitationlt2.jpg

Here's something you can send, but make sure you change visist to visit!

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I think the simple symbolism of just teabags being sent will be enough. I don't think we need an explanation with it.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5706/teapartyinvitationlt2.jpg

Here's something you can send, but make sure you change visist to visit!

This was dealt with yesterday. Dammit, this is what happens when someone hijacks a thread. Everything has to be repeated...

Were the colonists inviting King George to tea???

NO!!! This is a protest. This is a challenge. This is "get the hell out of our lives and stay out". This IS NOT, "would you like to come to tea?".

!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE> everyone get on the same damned page.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 12:40 PM
This was dealt with yesterday. Dammit, this is what happens when someone hijacks a thread. Everything has to be repeated...

Were the colonists inviting King George to tea???

NO!!! This is a protest. This is a challenge. This is "get the hell out of our lives and stay out". This IS NOT, "would you like to come to tea?".

!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE> everyone get on the same damned page.

I apologise for 'hijacking the thread' I was simply trying to put it all together. And you'll find on the front page that this is clarified...I am frustrated along with you.

You are sending packages filled with tea bags to your elected (and not so elected) representatives. Nothing else should be in them.

If you mail off 20 packages filled with tea to all these people, and your meetup does the same, and all the other meetups do the same thing, the sheer volume of tea is like a bellowing voice resonating with history. Let the tea do the talking!

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm willing to make as many as it takes to get the word out. I'm doing some tests with staining the paper with coffee (its cheaper). Seeing whether the ink will stay on during staining or if I should stain all of the paper before hand.

I think I'm going to make a stamp for the outside of the envelope that says:

teaparty07.com
RonPaul08.com

Then I'll include an envelope with the Griffin Wharf return address, a teabag, and a note inside.

We've got some time, but I don't know why we should wait until Dec. 10th. The sooner we get these out the better. The more press will build.

Any more suggestions?

NO. Please stop taking off on tangents. Re-read the thread.

Tea bags ONLY!!! No letters, no nothing.
President, vice president and congress ONLY> NO ONE ELSE>

"Stain the paper"??? Just how much negative press coverage do you want???
Don't you realize they'll announce your "suspicious chemical substance" on every news program and in every newspaper in the country???

These foolish tangents have got to stop NOW!

Tea bags ONLY!!! No letters, no nothing.
President, vice president and congress ONLY> NO ONE ELSE>

DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE RP CAMPAIGN.,

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT THIS???

Minuteman
12-01-2007, 12:43 PM
We argued about all this yesterday, so to go over what most decided yesterday.

-Teabags would be sent to
President
V.P
Members of Congress (or more specifically-Majority Leader, Minority Whip)
Berneke was also a possiblity

It was decided notifying the media or sending them tea was counter productive since it distorted the "symbolism" of the act itself. Also, by sending the media tea it would be easier for them to put a negative spin on it as just a big publicity stunt.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I really don't think that people are going to start saying that there is an anthrax-scare type problem with the tea...and even if they do, they make themselves look the fool, not the campaign. Our message is as clear as can be.

Don't fret, this is supposed to be a fun way to thumb our nose at them all, and at the same time rack up some publicity points. I don't think we're going to be misinterpreted. If there is anything negative it will just be along the lines of "Oh those grassroots are at it again, huck hyuck" and I'll listen to that all day any day.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I apologise for 'hijacking the thread' I was simply trying to put it all together. And you'll find on the front page that this is clarified...I am frustrated along with you.

Apology accepted. Please remove all reference in your first post to sending anything to the media. There is still at least one reference there.

God if some jackass does send tea to the media we'll do so much damage to the campaign we'll be getting thank you letters from Rudy Giuliani!

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Apology accepted. Please remove all reference in your first post to sending anything to the media. There is still at least one reference there.

God if some jackass does send tea to the media we'll do so much damage to the campaign we'll be getting thank you letters from Rudy Giuliani!

Okay...I removed all reference to the media. Don't want to get shouted at :o

I still feel that there can be two different types of letters, and that the spirit of protest can be maintained while the media can be informed. I fear that the recipients will have a shrug and toss the packages in the bin, and there won't be a peep. What a waste.

But that is my opinion, and the consensus seems to be against the media, if for no other reason than to err on the side of caution, lest somebody send them a hulking package of tea with RP08 OH YEEEEEEEEA!!! scrawled on it, instead of a dainty bag and a weblink.

In that spirit...I suppose I agree.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I really don't think that people are going to start saying that there is an anthrax-scare type problem with the tea...and even if they do, they make themselves look the fool, not the campaign. Our message is as clear as can be.

Don't fret, this is supposed to be a fun way to thumb our nose at them all, and at the same time rack up some publicity points. I don't think we're going to be misinterpreted. If there is anything negative it will just be along the lines of "Oh those grassroots are at it again, huck hyuck" and I'll listen to that all day any day.

No, the people won't start an anthrax scare, but if they can, the government will.
Remember, we are trying to bring them down. They know it. They will stop at nothing, including the ridiculous to stop us. If we make it easy for them they will most certainly take advantage of it.

This is why it must be plainly innocent: tea bags only, WITH the printed paper logo that almost all tea bags come with. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE, ESPECIALLY SUSPICIOUS LOOKING STAINED PAPER, ETC.

This must be clearly so innocuous and innocent that the feds cannot try to spin it without looking like idiots.

To everyone: I don't care what you think is a good idea to throw into that envelope along with the tea. DON'T DO IT. The TEA IS THE MESSAGE. Therefore whatever you throw in cannot help because the message requires NO CLARIFICATION AT ALL and your "added extra" can only do one of two things: nothing, or harm to the campaign.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Fine then, it's settled. I'm going to the store and I just e-mailed my local meetups. I hope all of you are about to do the same.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Fine then, it's settled. I'm going to the store and I just e-mailed my local meetups. I hope all of you are about to do the same.

OK, now that things are (hopefully) settling down to a certain degree of consensus, there is the problem of propagation.

Don't run off to the store quite yet.

In order for this to work the idea must get out to RP supporters fast. This forum does not reach enough people.

The best and most obvious way is to piggy-back it with the teaparty07 web site. But for that we need his cooperation and though I have sent him two emails since last night, so far I have no response.

Does anyone have any direct contact with him?

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:13 PM
OK, now that things are (hopefully) settling down to a certain degree of consensus, there is the problem of propagation.

Don't run off to the store quite yet.

In order for this to work the idea must get out to RP supporters fast. This forum does not reach enough people.

The best and most obvious way is to piggy-back it with the teaparty07 web site. But for that we need his cooperation and though I have sent him two emails since last night, so far I have no response.

Does anyone have any direct contact with him?

I hate to keep disagreeing with you, because I feel like we're in perpetual argument although we truly should be kindered spirits, but I think that the best way to get out the message, although having a bump on the official website would be great and is a necessity, is to organize it through local meetups and facebook and myspace whats-its. This has to be done fast, and Trevor probably has a lot on his hands. We on the forum may be comparatively few, but if each of us report back to our meetup or other organizational groups that we are a part of, it will spread quickly.

Remember...the 16th is not far away, this has to be done faster than fast.

Perhaps we are having a disagreement over top-down management of an action versus viral propagation of the same action? I wish somebody other than me and you would post some opinion!

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Teabags would be sent to:
1) President
2) V.P
3) Members of Congress
4) Berneke

Notes:
1) The envelopes just contain Tea bags only, the tea is the message
2) No printed adress or return stamps on the outside, must look incospicuous, just your home address and the destination
3) December 10th, start date to start mailing the tea
4) Every phone book has their local addresses (we want to send to local offices, not DC offices because they won't bethere) of all senators and representatives for that state.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I agree, if we are going to do this, it has to be done quickly.

A simple, viral message to meetup groups and places online.

Send loads of tea bags, nothing else, to your congresspersons and the president (and possibly Bernanke) to help promote the Tea Party 07.

Simple and easy to go viral.

This will be very effective, as long as it actually goes viral in the next couple of days.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:21 PM
I hate to keep disagreeing with you, because I feel like we're in perpetual argument although we truly should be kindered spirits, but I think that the best way to get out the message, although having a bump on the official website would be great and is a necessity, is to organize it through local meetups and facebook and myspace whats-its. This has to be done fast, and Trevor probably has a lot on his hands. We on the forum may be comparatively few, but if each of us report back to our meetup or other organizational groups that we are a part of, it will spread quickly.

Remember...the 16th is not far away, this has to be done faster than fast.

Perhaps we are having a disagreement over top-down management of an action versus viral propagation of the same action? I wish somebody other than me and you would post some opinion!

No, it's just a seeming disagreement. I think your ideas for propagation are both good and necessary. But I think we have to have Trevor on board for credibility. We need everyone to view this as part of the tea party, not a separate project.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Is there any way to sort of mass-email this idea to all the meetup groups, or maybe just the head of each of the meetup groups. Would they welcome that? I'll go down the list and send them to this thread -- Or would an e-mail of something just like the first post, summarizing the action, be better? Giving them a chance to argue might weaken the unity of the action, and spend precious time.

It would have to tell them to send it out to other meetups in their immediate area, instructing them to do the same, etc.

Advise :confused:

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
1) President
2) V.P
3) Members of Congress
4) Berneke

Notes:
2) No printed adress or return stamps on the outside, must look incospicuous

Almost, I think the advice we got from a congressional aide was to put our own return addresses on the envelope because congressmen are required to open mail from constituents.

ALSO, please ad this: the 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. address, the VP's address (I don't know it) and the advice that every phone book in America has the local addresses (we want to send to local offices, not DC offices because they won't be there) of all senators and representatives for that state.

I don't think Berneke really quite fits, but I don't see how it can do any harm unless someone decides to start adding irrelevant names.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
No, it's just a seeming disagreement. I think your ideas for propagation are both good and necessary. But I think we have to have Trevor on board for credibility. We need everyone to view this as part of the tea party, not a separate project.

For sure, we need it to be as 'endorsed' as possible. Somebody PM e-mail or carrier pigeon Trevor!

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Yep, it has to be part of the Tea Party. A fun way to promote it and get the biggest bang for our buck as far as coverage.

I think we should really focus on, to Trevor, that this helps the media to have a story to talk about besides just being a bigger 'money bomb' for Paul. It's an added, interesting element. It's like a movie sequel. You don't want to just market it as more of the same.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I think the best method of uniformity would be the Griffin Wharf return address on the envelopes.

Agreed! :)

This is a great idea!

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Do we just plan on sending them out to arrive Dec 15th?

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:31 PM
This also takes the support shown in the Tea Party 07 off the internet. It is tangible proof that the people donating to Ron Paul aren't just online, they are in every community, every district, physically sending in these tea bags. It destroys the internet spammers spin.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm not sure, we haven't really discussed this part yet. Somebody suggested December 10, which is fine, but there are problems such as the mail reaching your local legislator's office before it will reach DC, etc. Because of the infeasability and unlikelihood of everybody co-ordinating it so that every target gets a ton of tea on the same day, I think we will probably have to 'settle' (if thats what you call it) for a single send day, where we all head down to our post offices and send off the tea.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Agreed! :)

This is a great idea!

Using that address the congressional aides would be able to easily spot them and throw them out. Also, they would not be obligated to open them because the letters would not be from constituents in their districts/states, except Boston.

shortna
12-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Should the start date be sooner? The post office says that if you want letters to reach a person by Christmas you must send by the 16th. That means the post office needs 10 DAYS for the mail to reach during this busy season.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah that post about the aide makes it clear. Best thing is to use real address, so they have to open it because it's from a constituent.

The uniformity will be in the fact that its just tea bags.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:38 PM

We talked about this yesterday, start mailing December 10th. We have to remember that the postal service will be swamped with christmas mail. That gives atleast 5 days for ordinary mail.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Guys, please send the following guidelines out to whoever you wish to include in this effort (meetups, etc.):

Here are the rules. Please follow them closely as much discussion was required to get to this point and there is very good reason for not sending letters along with the tea, NOT sending tea to the media, not including anything else other than what is mentioned below. Please do not risk harming the Ron Paul campaign by deviating from these guidelines:

1. Buy as much tea in ordinary, labeled tea bags as you can afford to send. Do not alter the tea bags.
2. Send as many tea bags as possible in envelopes or simple boxes to the President, Vice President, and all of your state's Senators and Congressmen. DO NOT send any tea to ANYONE else.
3. Send to the local addresses of your Senators and Congressmen, not the Washington addresses as they probably won't be there.
4. DO NOT include anything else with the tea. No letters, no nothing. Whatever you send dilutes the message because the TEA ITSELF is the message. Also, anything else you send might be used to hurt the Ron Paul campaign, accuse RP grass roots support of something illegal, be spun negatively by the media, and cannot possibly help the campaign.
5. Put your return address on the envelope/package. Congressmen are required to open all mail from constituents.
6. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING to the media. We discussed this at length and it is an exceptionally bad idea. If you do, you WILL hurt the Ron Paul campaign. We want the media to report this, not be angered by it! If you simply want to drop a hint to your local media that Congress and the President are getting a lot of tea in the mail, that is OK. DO NOTHING ELSE with regard to the media. We want their interest, not their ire.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Yep, it has to be part of the Tea Party. A fun way to promote it and get the biggest bang for our buck as far as coverage.

I think we should really focus on, to Trevor, that this helps the media to have a story to talk about besides just being a bigger 'money bomb' for Paul. It's an added, interesting element. It's like a movie sequel. You don't want to just market it as more of the same.

Now THAT is a crystal clear understanding of the idea!

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Using that address the congressional aides would be able to easily spot them and throw them out. Also, they would not be obligated to open them because the letters would not be from constituents in their districts/states, except Boston.

But what if we use our own addresses, but everyone uses the name "Griffin Wharf"?

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Added bonus... after the 16th, every time we wave, toss, flaunt or otherwise draw attention to tea bags, we get even more mileage out of the 16th.

Stealth
12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
we can write on the envelope "Do not open until Dec 16th."

Mark37snj
Should the start date be sooner? The post office says that if you want letters to reach a person by Christmas you must send by the 16th. That means the post office needs 10 DAYS for the mail to reach during this busy season.

Good point but that is when MOST of the holiday mail will be sent and of course they are being conservative so people get their letters on time. We are sending earlier. We also dont have much time left, Its already the 1st, any sooner and it would leave people with no weekend for people to devote their spare time to put together their envelope. We have 8 days to promote this, organize, gather our meterials, do our research for each of our target mailing addresses, and put the letters together. Not much time left, I think we will be fine with the 10th.

Micahyah
That summary sounds good. We just need the message to go viral in the next several days. A big part of that would be Trevor seeing this as another arm of advertising and raising awareness for Tea Party 07.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:44 PM
But what if we use our own addresses, but everyone uses the name "Griffin Wharf"?

I really liked the Griffin Wharf idea, but I think it is probably counterproductive. It is like we are trying to hide. We need to show them we are not afraid of them by using our real names and addresses.

Hopefully we won't get spirited away somewhere to play Mitt Romney's fun new sport... waterboarding!

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Added bonus... after the 16th, every time we wave, toss, flaunt or otherwise draw attention to tea bags, we get even more mileage out of the 16th.

Very good point, Im already thinking how to make Giant Tea Bags. :D

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:46 PM
So everything seems to have a pretty good concensus, so HOW DO WE GO VIRAL?
I dont have a clue. HELP!!! :eek:

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I think we're good to go then.
Let's get ahold of Trevor, contact the meetups and light this fuse.

We'll give King George a tea party he will never forget!!!

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
So everything seems to have a pretty good concensus, so HOW DO WE GO VIRAL?
I dont have a clue. HELP!!! :eek:

Me neither. I'm counting on you guys for help.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm sending a letter to my meetup group now :D

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Very good point, Im already thinking how to make Giant Tea Bags. :D

Yep, and I can see right now Wolf Blitzer on Dec 19th, saying "members of Congress are still receiving thousands of tea bags in the mail from their constituents! Supporters of presidential candidate Ron Paul, who raised more than 10 million dollars in one day on the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party, have been the talk of DC in the last several days."

peacemonger
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Are we sure we won't be jailed for transmitting a biological neurotoxin (caffine) through the U.S. mail. We have been compared to a terrorist organization you know...:confused:

Better send decaf tea instead. We don't want these crazy politicians getting too excited

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Edited:

Guys, please send the following guidelines out to whoever you wish to include in this effort (meetups, etc.):

Here are the rules. Please follow them closely as much discussion was required to get to this point and there is very good reason for not sending letters along with the tea, NOT sending tea to the media, not including anything else other than what is mentioned below. Please do not risk harming the Ron Paul campaign by deviating from these guidelines:

1. Buy as much tea in ordinary, labeled tea bags as you can afford to send. Do not alter the tea bags.
2. Send as many tea bags as possible in envelopes or simple boxes to the President, Vice President, and all of your state's Senators and Congressmen. DO NOT send any tea to ANYONE else.
3. Send to the local addresses of your Senators and Congressmen, not the Washington addresses as they probably won't be there.
4. DO NOT include anything else with the tea. No letters, no nothing. Whatever you send dilutes the message because the TEA ITSELF is the message. Also, anything else you send might be used to hurt the Ron Paul campaign, accuse RP grass roots support of something illegal, be spun negatively by the media, and cannot possibly help the campaign.
5. Put your return address on the envelope/package. Congressmen are required to open all mail from constituents.
6. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING to the media. We discussed this at length and it is an exceptionally bad idea. If you do, you WILL hurt the Ron Paul campaign. We want the media to report this, not be angered by it! If you simply want to drop a hint to your local media that Congress and the President are getting a lot of tea in the mail, that is OK. DO NOTHING ELSE with regard to the media. We want their interest, not their ire.
7. Start mailing your tea bags on the 10th of Dec., spreading them out through the 13th so that they will arrive over a period of several days. This will maximize MSM interest. It is not important that they arrive on the exact day of the tea party.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I think a duplicate of this thread, or a thread with the consensus, needs to be at the Dec 16 sub-forum.

And we need to get dailypaul and some of the other big Ron Paul site owners involved to promote it.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm sending a letter to my meetup group now :D

Wait, not yet. We should have a standard letter that we all send. Someone needs to rewrite it all up nice and neat with the Rah Rah and everything.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
We need Trevor. He can give a bump on his website, maybe even a codex for how to do things the way we've agreed on this thread on a seperate page. Very simple list for people to do. It will of course get picked up by all the Ron Paul fansites and then hopefully meetup groups and so on.

Maybe he can send it out on one of the regular TeaParty e-mails. Bottom line we need to get ahold of him by hook or by crook --

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Edited:

7. Start mailing your tea bags on the 10th of Dec., spreading them out through the 13th so that they will arrive over a period of several days. This will maximize MSM interest. It is not important that they arrive on the exact day of the tea party.

You forgot Bernake :(

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Are we sure we won't be jailed for transmitting a biological neurotoxin (caffine) through the U.S. mail. We have been compared to a terrorist organization you know...:confused:

Better send decaf tea instead. We don't want these crazy politicians getting too excited

ROFL

You may be right. Better pack up your jail jammies guys, just in case!

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:01 PM

I think he should be optional. He's not part of the government. I see the point for sending him tea, but let's keep this as simple as possible.

Even if we send tea to Bernake, the press will only talk about Congress and the President. They won't care if Bernake got any. They simply won't understand it.

But again, I can't see any harm in sending tea to him too.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 02:06 PM
I think he should be optional. He's not part of the government. I see the point for sending him tea, but let's keep this as simple as possible.

Even if we send tea to Bernake, the press will only talk about Congress and the President. They won't care if Bernake got any. They simply won't understand it.

But again, I can't see any harm in sending tea to him too.

Sweet!!!!!!

shortna
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM

I just realized that his first name is Ben and middle initial is S.

B.S. Bernanke

h ttp://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/bios/board/bernanke.htm

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Let's hold off until Moday AM early to send out anything to meetups, etc. We need a little bit of time to cross our t's and dot our i's, coordinate with Trevor, get more support here on the forums, etc.

Speaking of which, what can we do to get more attention and cooperation right here on the forum?

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I just realized that his first name is Ben and middle initial is S.

B.S. Bernanke

h ttp://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/bios/board/bernanke.htm

:D thats funny

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
bump

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
http://hoo.la/f/csfa5_sendtea.pdf

I just made this...it's a little rough and could use a critique or five. Help me hone it and we can have something to send out soon! :D

shortna
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM

I just made this...it's a little rough and could use a critique or five. Help me hone it and we can have something to send out soon! :D

Use "B.S. Bernanke" since that is his name.

Adding some tea time puns would be entertaining. Here are a few suggestions

Something more that just contributions is brewing!

Even if this particular idea is not your cup of tea please forward to others.

This effort is very simple and is well percolated. We have come to a consensus, and here are the simple steps towards achieving success.

I'm ready to go and am restraining from sending out an email to my meetup. here is the email that i'm holding back with a few of the puns.

An idea began brewing in the early morning hours of Dec 1. Even though what we (the grassroots organization) should do is still percolating on RonPaulForums.com, the main ingredients are ready. Even if this particular idea is not your cup of tea please forward to others.

1) President
2) V.P
3) Members of Congress (at least your reps)
4) B.S. Bernanke (ha ha)

2) DO use your own return address. They are obligated to open mail from their constituents.

h ttp://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
h ttp://www.house.gov/

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

B.S. Bernanke
20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20551

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
HAHA, the "this idea is well percolated" made me laugh out loud. definately going in.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:47 PM
change "government officials" to "federal officials"
"local congressman" means state legislators, better change that to just Congressmen
"State Senators" is also wrong, just "Senators" so they don't send to the State house
"Others" leaves the door open for someone to do something stupid. Don't give them the chance.
"... before you "set"(?) to these next steps."
Put in somewhere to send each individual as much tea as you can afford to send, otherwise people will be sending single tea bags. Spell it out somewhere that we want to inundate them with tea.
You need to include the Pres and VP's addresses and tell them they can find Congressional office addresses in the local phone book.
Also tell them to send to Congressional offices at home rather than Washington because they'll all be home.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM

I think it's great!! Good job!

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh, also add to START mailing on the 10th but to spread them out over the next 3-4 days.

Flirple
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I like this idea. My only concern is do you think there will be a problem of them thinking it is a suspicious package or a terrorist threat? I'd hate to see Glenn Beck going off on us again and calling us domestic terrorists because D.C. Capital/White House security overreacts like the Boston police did with that-Aqua Teen Hunger force fiasco. People in DC are not the brightest and the symbolism of a tea bag might be lost on them.

What does everyone think about this?

shortna
12-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Remember KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid (no offense). This is what my government teacher used to tell me about the Constitution 20 years ago. It should apply to the message. Take out all the extra stuff. Hang on, I'll add my own version in a minute.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh, and I think it is correctly "We will not be trod on..."

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I like this idea. My only concern is do you think there will be a problem of them thinking it is a suspicious package or a terrorist threat? I'd hate to see Glenn Beck going off on us again and calling us domestic terrorists because D.C. Capital/White House security overreacts like the Boston police did with that-Aqua Teen Hunger force fiasco. People in DC are not the brightest and the symbolism of a tea bag might be lost on them.

What does everyone think about this?

This is why we need to make sure it is not a "secret" and they know the tea is coming. And we have to be sure ONLY tea bags are sent so they look like idiots if they try to spin it.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Remember KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid (no offense). This is what my government teacher used to tell me about the Constitution 20 years ago. It should apply to the message. Take out all the extra stuff. Hang on, I'll add my own version in a minute.

The only problem with KISS here is that because of how hard it was to come to a consensus, and because of how delicate an operation this is, we want to make sure that nobody goes off and does their own thing to the detriment of the campaign.

Flirple
12-01-2007, 02:56 PM
This is why we need to make sure it is not a "secret" and they know the tea is coming. And we have to be sure ONLY tea bags are sent so they look like idiots if they try to spin it.

Yep. Gotcha

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 02:58 PM
http://hoo.la/f/PehtE_sendtea.pdf

Here is a revision taking into account all of the things you guys have said thus far. I'd also like to see the efficient-ised version shortna is cooking up.

Keep the suggestions coming! :)

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 02:59 PM
The only problem with KISS here is that because of how hard it was to come to a consensus, and because of how delicate an operation this is, we want to make sure that nobody goes off and does their own thing to the detriment of the campaign.

This is correct. We need to be quite forceful about telling people they must exactly follow the rules. Independent thinking could lead to disaster because of the willingness of the government and the press to try to spin this to our disadvantage. They can't spin something that isn't there (letters for example) and they can't spin what is plainly an ordinary, manufacturer labeled, unaltered tea bag. And lastly they can't spin anything sent to the media if we don't send anything to the media!

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 03:03 PM
send family size tea bags :D

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 03:04 PM
You know, someone should contact the big tea companies. Lipton, Luzianne, Tetley, etc. One of them may want to get on board with this! (doubtful, but maybe! Imagine the increase in sales!)

Actually, if they're smart they'll run "sales" for their bags this week. Make it up in volume ;)

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
send family size tea bags :D

Personally I plan to send King George more tea than he can drink for the rest of his natural life!

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Okay, I made a few final spelling corrections and cleaned it up a bit. I'd consider this our working draft if nobody objects:

Guide to Sending Tea (http://hoo.la/f/fkW6p_sendtea.pdf)

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Since Luzianne is my favorite brand, personally... I sent them an email making them aware liberty is brewing and that they may want to discount their tea bags this week! :D

shortna
12-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Okay, I made a few final spelling corrections and cleaned it up a bit. I'd consider this our working draft if nobody objects:

Guide to Sending Tea (http://hoo.la/f/fkW6p_sendtea.pdf)

Still too much information. I think less is more. I would say get the message closer to this if possible.

Tea Party 2007

Something more that just contributions is brewing!

We now have the missing ingredient for the 2007 Tea Party, the tea itself! This effort is very simple and is well percolated. We are organizing a mass effort to send envelopes and packages stuffed with bags of tea to our federal officials.

Snail Mail Teabags only to:
● President Bush
● Vice President Cheney
● Your US Congressman
● Your US Senators
● B.S. Bernanke

1) Envelopes or boxes just contain tea bags ONLY; the tea protest serves as the message!
2) DO use your own return address. They are obligated to open mail from their constituents.
3) Start sending December 10th through December 13th.
4) Send as many parcels as you can.
5) Spread the word!

tmg19103
12-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Link to track down your state reps addresses, with thanks to the GOA. Includes D.C. and state district office addresses for your state reps.

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/home/

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I forgot. Basic rule of page design: never underline anything.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I really like the working draft so far, great job.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
It still says "Your Local Congressman" and "Your State Senators". That means the guys in your state capitol, not the congress of the US.

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Oh here's something maybe to add.

That this effort will help get the most out of our donations to Ron Paul. I think people will be more motivated to participate if they realize that this will increase the benefit of their $100+ donation on Dec 16.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I forgot. Basic rule of page design: never underline anything.

You're not the only one who forgot! *slaps own wrist* corrected. I'm working on trimming the fat. I'll hold off on posting another draft until we get some more suggestions, I don't want to keep re-uploading it for little stuff. :)

Also corrected the local congressman and state senators thing, I was thinking the US congressmen and the senators from your state. English is a fickle mistress!

tmg19103
12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Link to track down your state reps addresses, with thanks to the GOA. Includes D.C. and state district office addresses for your state reps.

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/home/

This link works for the addresses of your Congressmen/women in the House and Senate in D.C. - also with their local district office addresses in your state.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Again, "Others" leaves the door open for somebody to do something stupid.

shortna
12-01-2007, 03:24 PM
Again, "Others" leaves the door open for somebody to do something stupid.

that why i'm trying to get you guys to make it more simple. there are way too many words so far.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I would still not mention Bernanke. Like I said before. I don't think it would do any harm but we need to keep this easy to do and understand.

Karrl
12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I like the idea of keeping it simple. Flood them with Postcards!

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Um, how are you going to get the tea inside the postcard???

shortna
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM

keep it simple but send the tea bags.

btw, telling group what kind of tea bags to send is a waste of words.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Very nice, GOOD JOB!!! :)

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Almost done with a trimmed version. Fixed the 'others' to make it clear, ninja'd some grammar to make the sentences tighter and more focused. Trying to spruce it up, there are too many attention catchers and I'm trying to make sure the important parts are marked as such without diluting their...importance!

5 minutes...

vertesc
12-01-2007, 03:38 PM
are we sending these on the 16th? On the 15th, so they arrive on the morning of the 16th?

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
The 16th is a Sunday. We need to send them to arrive by the weekend. Send on the 10th.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:44 PM
are we sending these on the 16th? On the 15th, so they arrive on the morning of the 16th?

No, mail them out from the 10th thru the 13th. Spread them out.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Probably on the 10th, so they have some time to arrive at their destination. We're spreading it over 3-4 days for maximum effect. I don't want to have to worry about holiday snail-mail. :rolleyes:

I finished a leaned-down version of the flyer-message-letter thing.

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/sGzLt_sendtea.pdf)

The second page is not TRULY necessary, but somebody asked for the old rah-rah and I think that is the purpose it serves more than anything else. I think the first page is concise and yet thorough enough to provide unified action. Tell me what you think. :)

cien750hp
12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
this is such a great idea. my congressman is tom tancredo! (i really wish he didnt say the whole "honestly i don't think we live in the fantasy world ron does.") :D

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I think the new draft is great.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Change "to government officials around the country" to just "to the federal government".
The former is confusing.

You're still saying "State's Senators" That means something else. Just "senators".

If you include Bernanke, YOU get to answer all the emails asking "who is he" and "what is his address"! <grin>

Leave out "have they been naughty?" It is redundant. We all know they have, and it is confusing.
Same for "Have they been good civil servants?"

It is well percolated. Please do not deviate from this plan.

TooConservative
12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
As soon as they've opened a few of these, they'll feel the teabags inside and just chuck them because they're not allowed to use unsolicited foodstuffs in these offices even if they wanted to drink your cheap Lipton tea.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 04:00 PM
As soon as they've opened a few of these, they'll feel the teabags inside and just chuck them because they're not allowed to use unsolicited foodstuffs in these offices even if they wanted to drink your cheap Lipton tea.

We dont really want them to use them, its just meant as a message, and if they do not open them, then that means our Representatives are throwing out our mail WITHOUT OPENING THEM!! That will be worth alot of free press. :D

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Irrelevant. All that matters is that we sent them and that they arrived. We expect 99% of them to go directly in the trash. The point will have been made regardless.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
With apologies to Trevor, and Props (including a nod) to Mark Foley -- this is looking gooood.

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/8wkyE_sendtea.pdf)

:D Tell me what you think.

Karrl
12-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Besides, whats the sense in getting the word out to everybody so that they know what is going on and then sending them the envelope with a teabag?

I think it is better to just send a postcard with the Teaparty teabag logo on it. Do more with less.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Looking very good, no, perfect. Just make this one change:

Change Your "Senators" to your "US Senators" for consistency.

Great job.

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 04:29 PM
If you include Bernanke, YOU get to answer all the emails asking "who is he" and "what is his address"! <grin>

aww, trying to kill my idea? [mock offense]

I think its kind of fun, because we get 1 private citizen among all of the congresspeople. who probably isn't as used to this kind of thing. And he has a VERY big impact on the tea party, which according to the website is to protest the inflation tax.

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 04:30 PM
I just dug out all of the old tea that I don't like that people give me for Christmas every year. What a great use for old stale tea.

Mark37snj
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Besides, whats the sense in getting the word out to everybody so that they know what is going on and then sending them the envelope with a teabag?

I think it is better to just send a postcard with the Teaparty teabag logo on it. Do more with less.

No, it has to actually be real Tea. Symbolism is EXTREMELY important. Its already been agreed upon, done deal.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
aww, trying to kill my idea? [mock offense]

I think its kind of fun, because we get 1 private citizen among all of the congresspeople. who probably isn't as used to this kind of thing. And he has a VERY big impact on the tea party, which according to the website is to protest the inflation tax.

I wouldn't miss sending Bernanke tea for the world. You can or you don't have to. I think him and RP are as close to sparring partners as you could get, so he deserves a big package from me :D

Updated with 'US Senators' and a mug of the Doctor himself:

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/sTwrj_sendtea.pdf)

I kept the one without the graphics in case you want to send it in like an HTML email, but I personally prefer .pdf's, and I think it sort of jazzes things up. Do tell me.

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Ben S. Bernanke, Chairman
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
20th Street and Constitution Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20551

anyone who doesn't know who Uncle Ben is needs to get schooled!
no more excuses! :D

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't miss sending Bernanke tea for the world. You can or you don't have to. I think him and RP are as close to sparring partners as you could get, so he deserves a big package from me :D

Updated with 'US Senators' and a mug of the Doctor himself:

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/sTwrj_sendtea.pdf)

I kept the one without the graphics in case you want to send it in like an HTML email, but I personally prefer .pdf's, and I think it sort of jazzes things up. Do tell me.

Then add "Chairman of the Federal Reserve" after his name and include his address somewhere at the end so people don't have to hunt for it.

Also include the full addresses of Bush and Cheney and a blurb about finding your Rep and Senator's addresses in your phone book.

Then it's done.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Oops, it says "send all sorts of postage"
Change that to parcels.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 04:58 PM
I have B.S. Ben, does anybody know the official address for the Pres and Veep? And a place where you can find the addy's for all your relavent congressmen ? Give me that and we're done.

Edit: good eye -- parcels.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 04:58 PM
"Make a youtube video if you can", BUT stick to this exact set of guidelines. Don't suggest anything else or more than what is in these guidelines.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:00 PM

The original Boston tea party participants did not throw postcards overboard!

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Good morning, or afternoon as the case may be. It's morning to this night person.

Sweet, this is still on top and still going down!

Is it huge yet?

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Not yet John, but getting bigger and looking very promising.
We're fleshing out some minor details now.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Okay, I have everything EXCEPT

Vice President's Address. How the heck. Do you send it to the white house addressed to Cheney? We may have to do this since I don't think he lists his underground bunker :p

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Vice President's Address. How the heck. Do you send it to the white house addressed to Cheney? We may have to do this since I don't think he lists his underground bunker :p

Put ATTN: Vice President Cheney on it?

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:09 PM

No, he has a separate residence. Looking on the web now, but no luck so far.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Number One Observatory Circle

I presume the zip is the same, but not sure.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Unless we can smoke out the Dickster...I think we may have something approaching final draft status.

Have a look:

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/Newf2_sendtea.pdf)

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 05:16 PM
VP offices are at the White House, so that would work ok.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Richard B. Cheney
Vice President of the United States
Washington, D.C.

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Unless we can smoke out the Dickster...I think we may have something approaching final draft status.

Have a look:

To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/Newf2_sendtea.pdf)

This looks hot. Hopefully lots of people will participate!

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Richard B. Cheney
Vice President of the United States
Washington, D.C.

Do you think we can use the same zip code ?

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 05:24 PM
davidkachel, who the hell died and made you KING? You have been berating people who come up with simple suggestions for the past 12 pages.

You keep on spouting off about how the original protest wasn't a protest against the media and therefore we shouldn't send them anything. Well the original Boston Tea Party had hatchets and big crates of tea. Maybe we should stand outside of the Capitol with hatchets dressed like Indians with big crates of tea.

I'm going to send a cordial note, with a tea bag for the media to join us on this day. That is all, you guys can send out massive tea crates and other things to Politicians who have never given a shit about you. I'd rather send a single bag to the politicians and a nice letter to the media to let them know what we are doing.

Politicians get a tea bag in a plain envelope. Like Santa giving coal to the naughty girls and boys (good idea by the way davidkachel)
Media gets an invitation to join in on the festivities.

http://www.hopedeferred.com/rp/images/TP07_test1.jpg
Test letter for the media.

This is a grassroots effort, stop trying to run everyone's lives King David!

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I think we can all find our own ways of having a nice time. AMBurns, I love your letter, that looks like it took some time. Good work. I'm sure the media will appreciate it, and hey, maybe it will even spark some interest in what we are doing.

I hope a flame war doesen't erupt or anything :o I love you all!

Probably the final draft:
To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf)

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I hope a flame war doesen't erupt or anything :o I love you all!

Probably the final draft:
To Send Tea (http://hoo.la/f/rr31O_sendtea.pdf)

It doesn't matter if a flame war erupts, or we come up with a whole list of "do this" and "don't do that". In the end, each supporter is going to do whatever the hell they want, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
I was thinking, maybe this would be even bigger if we can make a separate flyer/information thing to spread to other people.

Let's say my immediate family doesn't support Dr Paul's anti-war message, but my in-laws love him. What if I had a flyer to give to the non-supporters of Dr Paul that asked them "are you tired of government interference? etc" Play up the neo-con's hatred of taxes, etc and let them participate in sending tea bags. This thing would be HUGE then!

Non Dr Paul supporters supporting the cause ;)

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I was thinking, maybe this would be even bigger if we can make a separate flyer/information thing to spread to other people.

Let's say my immediate family doesn't support Dr Paul's anti-war message, but my in-laws love him. What if I had a flyer to give to the non-supporters of Dr Paul that asked them "are you tired of government interference? etc" Play up the neo-con's hatred of taxes, etc and let them participate in sending tea bags. This thing would be HUGE then!

That would be great. But the time factor pretty much nixes it. We need to get this ball rolling fast or we'll be too late.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM

You should roll with it, and get them involved even if they don't support Ron Paul with whatever tools are necessary. Maybe it might make supporters out of them.

davidkachel
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
It doesn't matter if a flame war erupts, or we come up with a whole list of "do this" and "don't do that". In the end, each supporter is going to do whatever the hell they want, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That's true, but if people start sending tea bags to reporters this whole think could blow up right in our faces.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
So where do we go from here? We have a little manifesto (http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf), how do we distribute it? This is the sort of project that my meetup would love to get together over. Have some beers or lunch and stuff some parcels with tea. I think that sentiment is probably the same all over...so how do we get the word out?

paulgirl
12-01-2007, 05:37 PM

I was kind of thinking about this too, get one of those annoying chain email things going urging people to send teabags to their congresspeople in protest of excess spending, taxes, etc.
Don't mention Ron Paul, and then a few days later when the Tea Party hits, they will find out what its really all about.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I was kind of thinking about this too, get one of those annoying chain email things going urging people to send teabags to their congresspeople in protest of excess spending, taxes, etc.
Don't mention Ron Paul, and then a few days later when the Tea Party hits, they will find out what its really all about.

YES!! :D

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
So where do we go from here? We have a little manifesto, how do we distribute it? This is the sort of project that my meetup would love to get together over. Have some beers or lunch and stuff some parcels with tea. I think that sentiment is probably the same all over...so how do we get the word out?

My vote for a first step is to blog this, get it on digg. Someone make an instructional youtube that we can rate up, get it on myspace, etc.

That's true, but if people start sending tea bags to reporters this whole think could blow up right in our faces.

Someone is going to take this step. The media, and probably our favorite pundits are going to receive teabags no matter what you say. There's nothing you can do about. I'm willing to bet that less than 0.0001% of Ron Paul supporters have read this thread. I'm pretty sure less than 1% of Paul supporters are even members of this board.

Attempting to make decrees and rules, and telling people to not alter the plan etc, is just futile. Very few people are going to ever read these decrees and rules, and even less are going to listen to you.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Does anybody have a DailyPaul account or Blog or something that will carry the PDF or however we fix it up? I don't have anything beyond this forum and a little personal hosting. I'm a Redditor though, I can make a post...

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I have a DailyPaul account.

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
I can blog it on politicallore.com and digg it from there. I don't have a dailypaul.com account though. Is that PDF on the other end of the link posted in thread permanent?

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah it's hosted by hoo.la, a hosting startup. I actually know the people who made the hosting service so...yeah its not going anywhere. They'd probably relish the traffic if anything.

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/10370

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
HazardPerry someone noted an address is wrong :(

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I made a hurried, but hopefully moving blog about this:

Digg it! http://digg.com/politics/Something_New_Is_Brewing_This_December

Let's get it some attention.

The PDF is linked, so if you edit it make sure the filename doesn't change, or let me know if it does so I can update the post!

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 06:24 PM

The PDF is linked, so if you edit it make sure the filename doesn't change, or let me know if it does so I can update the post!

The only thing I would add is to this sentence: envelope, a stamp, some TEA, and the United States Postal Service

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 06:24 PM
dugg

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:25 PM
HazardPerry someone noted an address is wrong :(

Hmm ?

Here is the link to the hosting: http://hoo.la/v/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf

And a link to the file itself http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf

The only difference is the /v/ or the /f/. If this is a problem then we'll get that sucker moved...:mad:

edit: also, dugg

edit again: WAIT mosquito do you mean a physical mailing address? haha i'm stupid...well then crap. Which one is it? Cheney or Bernanke or ... ?

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Hmm ?

Here is the link to the hosting: http://hoo.la/v/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf

And a link to the file itself http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf

The only difference is the /v/ or the /f/. If this is a problem then we'll get that sucker moved...:mad:

edit: also, dugg

No, go to the dailypaul node. A guy is saying the address for George Bush is wrong.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:31 PM
No, go to the dailypaul node. A guy is saying the address for George Bush is wrong.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

*shrugs* I don't know how much better we can do than this...I double checked. Where else would you send it ? :confused:

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Whoops, it seems like the PDF is of a slightly earlier draft.

http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf is the one you should link to, as it has Cheney's seperate residence. Sorry about that

mosquitobite
12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
On December 1st, 2007 Brad V in CA from CT says:
It's just tea.

But PLEASE change "George H. W. Bush" on the address to "George W. Bush". I hope nobody puts "H. W." because it'll make people look ignorant.

I looked. He's right. The H should not be on there!

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Whoops, it seems like the PDF is of a slightly earlier draft.

http://hoo.la/f/qc5Rh_sendtea.pdf is the one you should link to, as it has Cheney's seperate residence. Sorry about that

Updated.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I looked. He's right. The H should not be on there!

Yeah I just got a DailyPaul account and saw it. I'm such an IDIOT hahah, H.W. what the hell. Okay...hang on.

http://hoo.la/f/2ZG9N_sendtea.pdf

Use this link instead. You too John, sorry about all of this. Living in the past :o:o

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 06:46 PM
dugg

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:52 PM
http://reddit.com/info/61x3k/comments/

Upmod for liberty!

http://digg.com/politics/Something_New_Is_Brewing_This_December

Digg for justice!

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 06:53 PM
http://reddit.com/info/61x3k/comments/

Upmod for liberty!

http://digg.com/politics/Something_N..._This_December

Digg for justice!

Hazard your digg link is broken

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
http://digg.com/politics/Something_New_Is_Brewing_This_December

Try that one.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Hazard your digg link is broken

Fixed, sorry. :o It's getting late and i'm getting rusty ;)

AMBurns
12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Fixed, sorry. :o It's getting late and i'm getting rusty ;)

Thanks for everything you did today HazardPerry.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 07:15 PM

I couldn't have done it without the input of all you guys. We pulled it together, hopefully it can take off :D

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 07:15 PM

I want to say thanks too

john_anderson_ii
12-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I want to say thanks too

Same here, thanks to everyone who helped hammer this thing out.

And thanks to all those who will help sell it.

HazardPerry
12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Well guys i've actually been sick all day :( flu so I am going to go retire for the night. Hopefully when I wake up this has propagated a bit. I think I might have a nice cup of Earl Grey before I go to bed :p

Thanks to all for making the day prosperous and productive!

Micahyah
12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
bump

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 10:00 PM
bump

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
//

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 10:23 PM
//

shortna
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
I would suggest changing the linke for the US Representatives. The link given is for emailing only! Just use http://www.house.gov/ it would be less confusing.

Ron LOL
12-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm down with this idea. The HUGE box of Lipton tea bags at Costco is pretty darn cheap....and it has a few hundred IIRC.

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:15 PM
:)

Minuteman
12-01-2007, 11:17 PM
This thread needs some perculating

voiceactivated
12-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I would think if the envelopes were hand addressed in the senders own writing, as opposed to addressed with pre-printed lables, it would personalize the message from a unique American.

torchbearer
12-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I would think if the envelopes were hand addressed in the senders own writing, as opposed to addressed with pre-printed lables, it would personalize the message from a unique American.

Everyone only needs to do a few to make a huge impact.

shortna
12-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I would suggest changing the linke for the US Representatives. The link given is for emailing only! Just use http://www.house.gov/ it would be less confusing.

:rolleyes:

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
:)

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 12:15 AM
OH MY GOD. This is a sure recipe for disaster. I am SWEATING after reading that PDF. All that needs to happen is for ONE person to send something suspicious along with the tea bags, and this will have the greatest detriment to Ron Paul's campaign that ANYTHING could have.

For those who have not read, the idea is to flood government officials with truckloads of tea. Have these people forgotten the Anthrax scare and the new Patriot Act? What are they trying to do, get thousands of Ron Paul supporters locked up so they can't vote for Ron Paul?

This needs to be called off. This is #*&%!#@!! insane. How clueless can some fools be?

I would not be surprised if this has been created specifically to remove Ron Paul's chances at the Presidency.

Listen to the wording they use in the PDF: "This effort is very simple and has been debated at length. It is well percolated, and we should not deviate from it." Emphasis THERE'S!!

So don't question our idea, just DO IT!

Well what a great way to damage a thriving campaign. I don't care WHO you are, if you created this idea, you are a jackass!

RPV

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:25 AM
//

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 12:26 AM
//

OferNave
12-02-2007, 12:42 AM
I would not be surprised if this has been created specifically to remove Ron Paul's chances at the Presidency.

Dude, if you think this is a bad idea, then post your reasoning why - that's cool. But don't throw in some stupid paranoid slandering - like the idea, or hate it, but these folks just worked their asses off getting a creative idea hammered out and polished in record time.

BTW-I just found this thread thirty minutes ago for the first time, and read every post. I don't know if it will backfire - maybe - but I have to say, it's brilliant.

A massive flood of tea like the rumbling of an approaching T-Rex, a rally (maybe the biggest so far, what with all the folks visiting NH next door), the debut of the blimp, and the largest fundraising day in history - possibly pushing Ron Paul to a $20M quarter - four times as much as the Q3 numbers everyone in the MSM was cooing about?

All we need is a Gleeman, and it will be the best Bel Tine ever. :)

Omnis
12-02-2007, 12:43 AM
I think the whole point of this drive is conspicuousness. We want to be seen and heard. If a single tea bag is conspicuous, then a couple thousand would be.....

Like I said earlier, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

The point is that they might just throw away a lot of it.

stewie3128
12-02-2007, 01:06 AM
I'll second those saying that this is a bad idea...

I am willing to bet that, out of the hundreds or thousands of teabags in envelopes that could come of this, there will be at least one person to attach a really scary looking manifesto or something else looney in the envelope. And that's all that will get the media attention, embarrass the campaign, make us look bad, and Ron Paul lose the election. People are WAY too sensitive to this stuff after the Anthrax scares, and the government is WAY too trigger happy after the Patriot act for this to come out any other way than disaster.

Please, please, please do no pull this publicity stunt - someone making an ass out of themselves and costing us is assured.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Dude, if you think this is a bad idea, then post your reasoning why.

I did, I have. I don't need to add anything to more to what I have said. Everything that needs to be said is in my first post. Perhaps read it again.

john_anderson_ii
12-02-2007, 01:21 AM
OH MY GOD. This is a sure recipe for disaster. I am SWEATING after reading that PDF. All that needs to happen is for ONE person to send something suspicious along with the tea bags, and this will have the greatest detriment to Ron Paul's campaign that ANYTHING could have.

So you have so little faith in your fellow Americans that you would rather control their actions than give them free will? Isn't that what socialism and fascism are for?

For those who have not read, the idea is to flood government officials with truckloads of tea. Have these people forgotten the Anthrax scare and the new Patriot Act? What are they trying to do, get thousands of Ron Paul supporters locked up so they can't vote for Ron Paul?

No one is going to get locked up, arrested, or charged for tea. That is what will be in the envelopes. It's not illegal to send a complaint to the president or the vice president, even if that complaint is a tea bag. It is not illegal to send tea in the mail. What jackass is really going to believe a terrorist sent him 1,000 tea bags or 10,000 tea bags. Seriously, use your head before you get all paranoid. ITS JUST FRICKING TEA AND ITS NOT GOING TO SCARE ANYONE!

If you can find legislation that bans sending tea to our elected officials, then by all means we'll call it off.

The problem with this country are people who are afraid of terrorists, and people who are afraid of being labeled as terrorists. That is what is preventing people from speaking up!

This needs to be called off. This is #*&%!#@!! insane. How clueless can some fools be?

Haven't you noticed a trend? It seems like every time anyone has an idea and tries to organize it on this board, as soon as it gets any legs under it people like you come along and start telling people it won't work or it will backfire. How the hell are we supposed to get anything done with attitudes like that.

:rolleyes: Yeah, you know, because I'm a troll and not a real supporter right?

Listen to the wording they use in the PDF: "This effort is very simple and has been debated at length. It is well percolated, and we should not deviate from it." Emphasis THERE'S!!

So don't question our idea, just DO IT!

Well what a great way to damage a thriving campaign. I don't care WHO you are, if you created this idea, you are a jackass!

RPV

Do whatever you like, and so will I.

I am about [ ] <-- That close to being done with board and all the bickering and BS.

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 01:25 AM
I am about [ ] <-- That close to being done with board and all the bickering and BS.

On a serious note. that is what the trolls hope to achieve. destroying the forum and its usefulness. We've been doing crap like this since back in may. now all of a sudden its a bad thing? If we hadn't gone the extra mile, none of you would know who Ron Paul is...

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Here' my suggestion to make your point and NOT freak the nation out and ruin Paul's Presidency.

Start a chipin and start raising money. Buy the biggest amount of the cheapest tea you possibly can, and as a team, carry the stuff in massive sand bags marked "TEA" and dump it on the park opposite the White House on Dec 16th. Tell the FBI what you are doing and ask for their assistance in this peaceful protest, to give them the opportunity to watch over the operation. Not only would this buy you FAR more tea, you can have a press conference onsite and guarantee yourselves POSITIVE press coverage.

Or better yet, just get out and tell a few people about Ron Paul! Some of you need to be AFK for a bit!

I saw someone remark once about how much of an amazing effort someone was making for the campaign because they had a multi-thousand post rank here on these forums. Well excuse the reality, and I mean no offense, but the ones working the hardest don't have time to sit on their computers all day! Get out and campaign! PLEASE.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 01:35 AM
On a serious note. that is what the trolls hope to achieve. destroying the forum and its usefulness. We've been doing crap like this since back in may. now all of a sudden its a bad thing? If we hadn't gone the extra mile, none of you would know who Ron Paul is...

Yeah, well you'll have a pretty tough time trying to make me out as a troll.

shortna
12-02-2007, 01:35 AM
Here' my suggestion to make your point and NOT freak the nation out and ruin Paul's Presidency.

Start a chipin and start raising money. Buy the biggest amount of the cheapest tea you possibly can, and as a team, carry the stuff in massive sand bags marked "TEA" and dump it on the park opposite the White House on Dec 16th.

well maybe if many of us lived in DC that would be a good plan but we do not. if this idea is not your cup of tea then you are more than welcome to take a pass.

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, well you'll have a pretty tough time trying to make me out as a troll.

I wasn't talking about you.

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 01:50 AM
I don't think the "all it takes is one person sending something" argument is really valid.

You could say that all it would take is one Ron Paul supporter at a rally to do something subversive or dangerous, etc so we shouldn't have rallys, because you can't trust that 1 out of 5000 people in Philly won't ruin it for everyone.

This isn't a campaign sponsored event, so they would be held no more responsible for something 1 individual does than they are held responsible for the tons of abusive emails people in the media get from Paul supporters sometimes.

The Boston Tea Party is something every one learns in elementary school in this country. I think it would be easily connected to a tribute of that than spun as some anthrax scare because of 1 letter out of thousands of parcels of tea bags sent.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
well maybe if many of us lived in DC that would be a good plan but we do not. if this idea is not your cup of tea then you are more than welcome to take a pass.

Ahh...? And you became omniscient WHEN? I'll be sure to let God know.

There will undoubtedly be far more than enough of us in Washington to pull that off, and if done right, you might just find a few celebrities like John mayer turn up. You need to stop and think. I am not against ideas to push Ron Paul, or against civil disobedience. In fact, I lead my meetup group on an act of civil disobedience this very night to great success. And nope, I'm not telling ya what we did, but it was great and got us thousands of eyes. :D So I understand the desire to create attention. I really do!

We just need to think about what we do. VERY carefully. And stop thinking about what YOU have to lose, and start thinking about what RON PAUL has to lose!!! This is not about us, this is about HIM! And when we get that straight, we might think a little clearer.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 01:54 AM
This isn't a campaign sponsored event.

Then take it OFF the RON PAUL forums and organize it elsewhere!

Did anyone ask the campaign if this is a good idea? I tell you what, I am going to tell the campaign about these plans on Monday and we'll see what they have to say about it. If they say don't do it, will that be good enough for you all to stop this idea of sending tea through the mail?

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Then take it OFF the RON PAUL forums and organize it elsewhere!

Did anyone ask the campaign if this is a good idea? I tell you what, I am going to tell the campaign about these plans on Monday and we'll see what they have to say about it. If they say don't do it, will that be good enough for you all to stop this idea of sending tea through the mail?

We have trusted people on this forum to send thousands of letters to Iowa citizens, should we have not done that for fear that someone sends something threatening that ruins the campaign?

Are you now asking to have the campaign endorse an event that isn't sponsored by the campaign? What's the point of that? Are we now going to run all grassroots efforts past the official campaign first?

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Ahh...? And you became omniscient WHEN? I'll be sure to let God know.

There will undoubtedly be far more than enough of us in Washington to pull that off, and if done right, you might just find a few celebrities like John mayer turn up. You need to stop and think. I am not against ideas to push Ron Paul, or against civil disobedience. In fact, I lead my meetup group on an act of civil disobedience this very night to great success. And nope, I'm not telling ya what we did, but it was great and got us thousands of eyes. :D So I understand the desire to create attention. I really do!

We just need to think about what we do. VERY carefully. And stop thinking about what YOU have to lose, and start thinking about what RON PAUL has to lose!!! This is not about us, this is about HIM! And when we get that straight, we might think a little clearer.

So you are bragging about leading civil disobedience that you can't even talk about, yet scorn a perfectly legal activity of people sending tea to their representatives in Congress to commemorate a famous event in U.S. history which will draw more attention to the biggest day so far of Ron Paul's campaign?

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 02:07 AM
We have trusted people on this forum to send thousands of letters to Iowa citizens, should we have not done that for fear that someone sends something threatening that ruins the campaign?

Are you now asking to have the campaign endorse an event that isn't sponsored by the campaign? What's the point of that? Are we now going to run all grassroots efforts past the official campaign first?

We've been doing these things for months... this isn't something "new". Can something go wrong. yes. And a comet can collide into the earth... but that doesn't keep us from living here. ;)

I'm ready to teabag the president! All my friends are going to teabag the president too! And if you don't like it, we will teabag you!!!!!!!!!! :D Teabags are fun.

OferNave
12-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Start a chipin and start raising money. Buy the biggest amount of the cheapest tea you possibly can, and as a team, carry the stuff in massive sand bags marked "TEA" and dump it on the park opposite the White House on Dec 16th.

Um... that's littering. Which actually IS a crime, unlike mailing tea to your representatives.

OferNave
12-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Let's get back on topic... where are we at?

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Let's get back on topic... where are we at?

Shouldn't we focus all our mail to only a few locations to maximize affect?

EvilEngineer
12-02-2007, 02:13 AM
lol... tea-bagging the government. I like it, but rest assured it will instantly earn you a place on "The List", that is if you are not already 1/3 of America on it already.

RonPaulVolunteer
12-02-2007, 02:17 AM
OK, well you can build all the straw-men arguments you want. I have offered an alternative, safer, and absolutely more effective alternative that remove the possible negatives and guarantees publicity. Maybe you should consider that alternative. I don't see why you wouldn't, unless you're a hypocrite.

I will contact the campaign and see what they have to say. If you can't accept their decision either way, you're NOT a Ron Paul supporter. Period.

afk.

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 02:17 AM
lol... tea-bagging the government. I like it, but rest assured it will instantly earn you a place on "The List", that is if you are not already 1/3 of America on it already.

I'm the former vice-chair of the libertarian party of Louisiana. I'm on the list. Project Teabag! I like the sound of it... I'm sure it will look good in "my file".:cool:

shortna
12-02-2007, 02:20 AM

I'm already on the list because i send emails asking my Rep's how many freedoms must be taken away before its people can violently over throw the government. :p

shortna
12-02-2007, 02:23 AM
I will contact the campaign and see what they have to say. If you can't accept their decision either way, you're NOT a Ron Paul supporter. Period.

We did not contact HQ to ask for their blessing of Nov 5th. Once again if this idea is not your cup of then then don't partake.

Micahyah
12-02-2007, 02:25 AM
OK, well you can build all the straw-men arguments you want. I have offered an alternative, safer, and absolutely more effective alternative that remove the possible negatives and guarantees publicity. Maybe you should consider that alternative. I don't see why you wouldn't, unless you're a hypocrite.

I don't think your alternative would in any way come close to getting any kind of national publicity. People do random events in front of the US capitol every day.

Congresspersons getting tons of tea from their constitutuents IS something that is completely out of the ordinary, however, and would garner more national attention to Ron Paul's big haul on Dec 16

Flirple
12-02-2007, 02:36 AM
Shouldn't we focus all our mail to only a few locations to maximize affect?

Yes, definitely. But where will have the biggest impact especially with media coverage? The White House?

As far as the issue of this beng a sure fire way for us to get the campaign in trouble or being put on "The List" etc. I agree that was my first impression when I first read this thread.

But the more I thought about that it I don't think those fears hold up If we focus on everyone mailing the tea bags to one or two specific locations and send out a press release in advance or contact White House security ahead of time I don't see a problem. If they know it will be coming then I think it is fine. But on the other hand if every obscure congressman gets one or two mysterious envelopes with just a tea bag in it without having any previous knowledge then we might cause another anthrax scare or Aqua Teen Hunger Force incident.

OferNave
12-02-2007, 02:57 AM
It's tea.

Have a cup.

The Plan
12-02-2007, 02:59 AM
I support all attempts to Tea Bag inept public officials, except Larry Craig because i think he would enjoy it a bit too much..

Flirple
12-02-2007, 03:06 AM
It's tea.

Have a cup.

Yes but context is everything. It won't take much for them to suspect that the tea bag was laced with a biological weapon or something. I know it sounds ridiculous because it is. But so was the Boston light bright fiasco. Don't give the intelligence of government officials too much credit.

We need to do this right so we avoid such problems.

Minuteman
12-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Wow, walk away for abit and the arguements start up again? I thought we already defined it, structured it, and were set to put into action.

Torchbearer,
yeah, i think a more focused mailing would be better. It was suggested earlier that the only members of congress to recieve the tea would be the Majority Leader and Minority Whip.

I have already sent out a few emails to meetup groups so lets not go start changing things now.

RonPaulVolunteer,
I have heard your arguement and respect it, but I have rejected it. Please on Monday call the campaign HQ and see what they say, would love to hear from them.

Flirple
12-02-2007, 03:51 AM
Torchbearer,
yeah, i think a more focused mailing would be better. It was suggested earlier that the only members of congress to recieve the tea would be the Majority Leader and Minority Whip.

Actually I think it would be even better if the only one we sent the Tea to is Bernanke. Don't send anything to any member of congress or the executive branch. Just one person and one person only; the chairman of the FED. This makes so much more sense since it the dominant theme of TeaPary07.com anyways. And people NEVER send mail the the FED so it would have a more disruptive impact. And is very well targeted so the message will be amplified instead of diluted.

john_anderson_ii
12-02-2007, 04:32 AM
And people NEVER send mail the the FED so it would have a more disruptive impact. And is very well targeted so the message will be amplified instead of diluted.

I've got a feeling that people are going to be sending tea bags all over the place. But I think if we can get a lot of them in the Fed Chairman's lap, it would greatly increase the WTF? factor.

When people have a beef with the economy or the interest rates or whatever, they complain to congress. This would be one of the few times we took this up with the very root of economic problems.

mosquitobite
12-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Bump :)

paulitics
12-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm sorry to be so strident but some of you guys have taken a fantastic idea and run right off the road with it.

SENDING TEA TO STRANGERS PICKED OUT OF THE PHONE BOOK!!!! F**K. Are you out of your f*****g mind??? Do you want to start an anthrax scare and sink RP's candidacy forever???

ONLY CONGRESS, THE PRESIDENT AND THE VICE-PRESIDENT.

NO ONE, THAT IS NO ONE, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ELSE. PERIOD.
And tea bags only. Nothing else. No bulk tea. No letters. No petitions. JUST THE TEA BAGS.

Just imagine the MSM reading those letters over the air, huh? Got any ideas how they'll spin them??? Huh??? Do you??? They'll take a perfectly rational letter and read just the right parts to make you and Ron Paul look like morons. DAMMIT> THINK!!!!! If there are no letters, there is nothing to spin!!!

Bulk tea. Sure. I can just hear them now... "Homeland Security is examining thousands of packages containing a mysterious tea-like substance sent in by Ron Paul supporters."

TEA BAGS ONLY. NOTHING ELSE AT ALL!!! TEA BAGS MUST HAVE A BRAND NAME ON THEM. THIS MUST BE DONE SO THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL LOOK MORONIC IF THEY TRY TO MAKE THE TEA BAGS LOOK LIKE SOME KIND OF THREAT.

OK, are we all on the same page now or do I have to publicly announce I will have nothing more to do with this?

I don't think congress should get them either. For the same reason, an anthrax scare.

mosquitobite
12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent.

As I said in the other thread, if you're scared, don't send any. I'll send you my name and you can write me letters in prison proudly proclaiming "I told you so"

I'm willing to take the risk.

billjarrett
12-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't think congress should get them either. For the same reason, an anthrax scare.

Isn't this an example of the fearmongering we are fighting against in the first place? Don't take this as an insult, just I thought one of the reasons we were voting for Paul is so we didn't have to fear these people.

Flirple
12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I've got a feeling that people are going to be sending tea bags all over the place. But I think if we can get a lot of them in the Fed Chairman's lap, it would greatly increase the WTF? factor.

When people have a beef with the economy or the interest rates or whatever, they complain to congress. This would be one of the few times we took this up with the very root of economic problems.

Exactly. How cliche is it to be sending something to congresswomen and men. Everyone does that. And we know they are irrelevant to inflation anyways. Scrap the middleman. Send all tea to the FED!

It will be much more effective at helping us shape the message of Dec. 16th. We would be waisting too much energy and recourses sending tea to multiple sources in the legislative and executive branches.

wfd40
12-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I say do it.

WE NEED a LITTLE Controversy for petes sake!

I mean, LLepards USAtoday ad was great - but had absolutely no controversial points to it and so didnt get picked up by any other media outlets.

Doing something a little out of left field will... and while the MSM will potentially spend time attempting to lable Pauls supporters as "fringe or cookey" the average viewer will be sitting there thinking to themselves:

"Hey, these Paul supporters really stand up for themselves and the constitution... Id like to stand up for for those things!"

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm teabagging the president, who's with me? ;)

I was thinking we can make this a yearly event, a custom to send the politicians who are doing us the most hard a couple of tea bags to serve notice.
A peaceful way to say we aren't going to take it anymore. Also- it would be good exercise for everyone to do a yearly inventory on how their congressmen have been voting..

hillertexas
12-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm teabagging the president, who's with me? ;)

I was thinking we can make this a yearly event, a custom to send the politicians who are doing us the most hard a couple of tea bags to serve notice.
A peaceful way to say we aren't going to take it anymore. Also- it would be good exercise for everyone to do a yearly inventory on how their congressmen have been voting..

LOL...i've always wanted to teabag a president

torchbearer
12-02-2007, 11:33 AM
LOL...i've always wanted to teabag a president

Well this year you can!!! Even if you don't have the right "gear" to do it... just go buy some tea bags and mail them.

HazardPerry
12-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Whuhoh just woke up -- very ill. Glad to see you all this December morning.

Mark37snj
12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=torchbearer;512311]I'm teabagging the president, who's with me? ;)QUOTE]

I am so doing this. :D

davidkachel
12-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, I see some of you have managed, despite my pleading, to turn this into a circus where everyone wants to be in charge and go a hundred different directions at once.

What was a simple, effective, easily achievable, impossible to ignore, newsworthy demonstration of the dissatisfaction of the American people with government abuse of power and meddling in our lives has now become a free-for-all with no hope of success and a very large risk of backfire.

Grass roots does NOT mean everyone believes they have the right to take over every idea and go their own direction.

Despite the fact this was originally my idea, I can now see that those who refuse to stop meddling and insist on ruining this plan will not give up.

Therefore I wash my hands of it and take no further responsibility for it whatsoever.

Mark37snj
12-02-2007, 01:08 PM
[torchbearer] I'm teabagging the president, who's with me? ;)

I am so doing this. :D