PDA

View Full Version : Boko Haram Kidnaps Girls Because... Climate Change

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Behind the rise of Boko Haram - ecological disaster, oil crisis, spy games
Islamist militancy in Nigeria is being strengthened by western and regional fossil fuel interests

The kidnapping of over 200 Nigerian school girls, and the massacre of as many as 300 civilians in the town of Gamboru Ngala, by the militant al-Qaeda affiliated group, Boko Haram, has shocked the world.

But while condemnations have rightly been forthcoming from a whole range of senior figures from celebrities to government officials, less attention has been paid to the roots of the crisis.

Instability in Nigeria, however, has been growing steadily over the last decade - and one reason is climate change. In 2009, a UK Department for International Development (Dfid) study warned that climate change could contribute to increasing resource shortages in the country due to land scarcity from desertification, water shortages, and mounting crop failures.

A more recent study by the Congressionally-funded US Institute for Peace confirmed a "basic causal mechanism" that "links climate change with violence in Nigeria." The report concludes:

"...poor responses to climatic shifts create shortages of resources such as land and water. Shortages are followed by negative secondary impacts, such as more sickness, hunger, and joblessness. Poor responses to these, in turn, open the door to conflict."

cont....http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/may/09/behind-rise-nigeria-boko-haram-climate-disaster-peak-oil-depletion

Henry Rogue
05-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Titanic sinks because... climate change.

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Titanic sinks because... climate change.

Damn climate change icebergs.

pcosmar
05-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Damn climate change icebergs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcqCMwLCAAAunHc.jpg

MelissaWV
05-11-2014, 10:08 AM
desertification, water shortages, and mounting crop failures.
The effects would be far less drastic if the people in charge weren't hoarding and controlling the resources. Then you have places like Haiti (I know, not what we're talking about) where the trees are virtually gone and people are eating mud cookies. The problem isn't our vehicles' MPG ratings in the US. The problem is that, worldwide, every Government thinks it knows what is best, regardless of whether or not it's killing thousands upon thousands.

Henry Rogue
05-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Space Shuttle Challenger because... climate change
O-ring fails on solid fuel booster rocket do to cold temperatures.

Dr.3D
05-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Can we blame the ever increasing size of government on climate change?

Henry Rogue
05-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Hurricane Katrina because... climate change

The current average elevation of New Orleans is 1-2 feet below sea level. The highest elevation in the city is 16 feet above sea level and the lowest elevation is 10 feet below sea level.

Henry Rogue
05-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Why not? One non sequitur is as good as another.

juleswin
05-11-2014, 10:35 AM
News stories like this is one reason I cannot go along with the whole climate change movement. I mean, just ignore that the government is corrupt as shit(even though this current one is a bit less corrupt than the old ones), that Saudi Arabia came in the 90s and opened up a bunch of Wahhabi Islamic schools and graduated a bunch of Islamic morons hell bent on turning the whole country into an Islamic medevil state, that the country has nearly 150m people in a area smaller than Texas and even with all that, there is no climate catastrophe in the country. The raining and dry seasons have shifted a bit but there is no drought and in fact the small desert area there is is reverting to savannah type climate. There is no catastrophic climate change in Nigeria.

I guess this shows how desperate they have gotten, it has reached a point where they are throwing everything at the wall in the hope something connects with the population.

MelissaWV
05-11-2014, 10:39 AM

I do the reverse quite frequently. The incentive to come up with solutions to pollution (which is allegedly behind earth's warming changing... no word yet on why Mars appears to be in menopause) that can survive off of life support is almost non-existent. You have a few pet projects living off of grants and tax credits and widespread coverage, but that's it, and really not many of them have ever caught on. Those that have done so would largely crumble without a Government crutch to help them along. In the meantime, if you discovered a viable alternative to gasoline tomorrow that would run in today's vehicles and create less pollution, how hard do you think it would be to get to market? Who's behind that? Hmm.

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 10:40 AM
(even though this current one is a bit less corrupt than the old ones)

That's a interesting theory, though I agree with the rest of your post.

Anti-Neocon
05-11-2014, 10:46 AM
All I see is in the OP is a viewpoint which nobody has done anything to refute. Poverty does lead to more violence (see: any ghetto ever), and if resource shortages are being caused by a changing climate, then wouldn't there be more poverty, and hence more violence?

Henry Rogue
05-11-2014, 10:46 AM
The effects would be far less drastic if the people in charge weren't hoarding and controlling the resources. Then you have places like Haiti (I know, not what we're talking about) where the trees are virtually gone and people are eating mud cookies. The problem isn't our vehicles' MPG ratings in the US. The problem is that, worldwide, every Government thinks it knows what is best, regardless of whether or not it's killing thousands upon thousands.
Distorted economies and civil unrest due to state aggression and central planning? That's terrorist talk.

MelissaWV
05-11-2014, 10:48 AM
All I see is in the OP is a viewpoint which nobody has done anything to refute. Poverty does lead to more violence (see: any ghetto ever), and if resource shortages are being caused by a changing climate, then wouldn't there be more poverty, and hence more violence?

The bolded part is in dispute. As I said earlier, the resource shortages are related directly to the people in power. Words and phrases are thrown around to make us think the earth is about to give up the ghost, but we are not overpopulated, and we are not lacking in resources. We are overburdened with people who want to be in charge of those resources, though, and determine how many people may use them at a given time.

juleswin
05-11-2014, 10:55 AM

Nigeria just became the biggest economy in the whole of Africa. This doesn't mean everyone is living high on the hog because there is a big income inequality over there but things are better that they used to be, there are jobs to be had for both educated and uneducated.

The other problem is that the people are dealing with are against what they describe as modern way of living, they are against electricity, technology, education and just about everything that is not prescribed by their sect of Islam. How any of that is caused or can be solved by alleviating poverty is beyond me. These people have to be found and killed fast so they can quit embarrassing the whole nation

Anti-Neocon
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM
The bolded part is in dispute. As I said earlier, the resource shortages are related directly to the people in power. Words and phrases are thrown around to make us think the earth is about to give up the ghost, but we are not overpopulated, and we are not lacking in resources. We are overburdened with people who want to be in charge of those resources, though, and determine how many people may use them at a given time.
If it is in dispute, it really shouldn't be. The Earth has been getting warmer for quite a while quite clearly due to the scientific mechanism of the greenhouse effect.

Now how we handle our resources is a completely different topic which also is clearly suboptimal, I'll give you that. If there were no climate change, would there be such extensive a problem? No, even with all the resource hoarders. Given climate change, is there a way to use resources efficiently to avoid such problems? Probably.

Sure, this problem isn't quite as binary as I've made it seem, but I guess I just object to the whole "appeal to ridicule" thing that is going on here, seemingly to discredit people who have legitimately studied the topic and are striving for better understanding. It is possible to both accept that climate change is happening and causing some bad things, while still maintaining that government power grabs are not the best way to solve said problem. Some certain people here (see: climate change thread) don't seem to grasp this, and it IS an issue when the liberty movement is positioning itself squarely in opposition to science and research.

Ranger29860
05-11-2014, 11:03 AM
no word yet on why Mars appears to be in menopause

Please by all means back that statement up with facts and not talking points.

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Please by all means back that statement up with facts and not talking points.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/2007/marswarming.html

http://www.livescience.com/1349-sun-blamed-warming-earth-worlds.html

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Remember the joke? 'Everyone's talking about the weather but no one's doing anything about it.'

Well, the Democrats are now trying to do something about it. They're trying to pass enough taxes to double your utility bills and what you pay at the pump.

It just doesn't pay to tell jokes around Democrats.

:rolleyes:

juleswin
05-11-2014, 11:15 AM
"Climate Change is Real and is Happening Now, People".
John Cook & Skeptical Science, (the impartial observers in matters of climate change) here debunk the Big Oil-funded (and evil) denier claims of a so-called 'pause' - by the clever use of the 'escalator'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96MoYbVeD0M

Ranger29860
05-11-2014, 11:59 AM
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/2007/marswarming.html

http://www.livescience.com/1349-sun-blamed-warming-earth-worlds.html

Did you even read those links? 2 of them straight up say why mars appears to be in menopause while showign it has nothing to do with our version of climate change.

Let me link you an actually scientific paper instead of articles that over generalize facts

http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/464/2094/1387.abstract

MelissaWV
05-11-2014, 12:22 PM
RPFs ate my homework. I had a nice long point about climate change perception and it went poof.

As for Mars going through menopause, good on you for pretending I said "Mars is getting hotter."

There have been changes around the south pole (Planum Australe) over the past few Martian years. In 1999 the Mars Global Surveyor photographed pits in the layer of frozen carbon dioxide at the Martian south pole. Because of their striking shape and orientation these pits have become known as swiss cheese features. In 2001 the craft photographed the same pits again and found that they had grown larger, retreating about 3 meters in one Martian year.[90] These features are caused by the sublimation of the dry ice layer, thereby exposing the inert water ice layer. More recent observations indicate that the ice at Mars' south pole is continuing to sublime.[91] The pits in the ice continue to grow by about 3 meters per Martian year. Malin states that conditions on Mars are not currently conducive to the formation of new ice. A NASA press release has suggested that this indicates a "climate change in progress"[92] on Mars. In a summary of observations with the Mars Orbiter Camera, researchers speculated that some dry ice may have been deposited between the Mariner 9 and the Mars Global Surveyor mission. Based on the current rate of loss, the deposits of today may be gone in a hundred years.[89]

Elsewhere on the planet, low latitude areas have more water ice than they should have given current climatic conditions.[93] Mars Odyssey "is giving us indications of recent global climate change in Mars," said Jeffrey Plaut, project scientist for the mission at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in non-peer reviewed published work in 2003.

The cause of these changes is still not 100% for certain, nor is it likely to be until more samples and readings are taken. To assert that there is no possible connection at all between changes on Mars and changes on Earth seems a bit premature.

Climate change. This does not restrict itself to heating, and it's the same situation on earth. The earth is not just cooling, nor is it just warming; the entire point is that things we used to take for granted are changing, and the push is to blame things curiously regulated by Governments for those changes.

bunklocoempire
05-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Folks are confusing blow back with actual weather. What a coincidence.:rolleyes:

A more recent study by the Congressionally-funded US Institute for Peace confirmed a "basic causal mechanism" that "links climate change with violence in Nigeria."

Watch in awe as an empirical government that is $17(?) trillion in debt corrects the weather of a planet and brings peace to the human race.

Rick and Morty is more believable.

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Did you even read those links? 2 of them straight up say why mars appears to be in menopause while showign it has nothing to do with our version of climate change.

Let me link you an actually scientific paper instead of articles that over generalize facts

http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/464/2094/1387.abstract

No they do not. One does. The other two say that they disagree with the theories presented. From the third link;

“Global warming on Neptune's moon Triton as well as Jupiter and Pluto, and now Mars has some [scientists] scratching their heads over what could possibly be in common with the warming of all these planets … Could there be something in common with all the planets in our solar system that might cause them all to warm at the same time?”

Well fucking howdy doody, I don't know. And then they go on to explain why this couldn't be so because it doesn't fit their agenda. Carry on with what's presented in your link Ranger, be my guest.

A multivariate fit to the variation in global mean surface air temperature anomaly over the past half century is presented. The fit procedure allows for the effect of response time on the waveform, amplitude and lag of each radiative forcing input, and each is allowed to have its own time constant. It is shown that the contribution of solar variability to the temperature trend since 1987 is small and downward; the best estimate is −1.3% and the 2σ confidence level sets the uncertainty range of −0.7 to −1.9%. The result is the same if one quantifies the solar variation using galactic cosmic ray fluxes (for which the analysis can be extended back to 1953) or the most accurate total solar irradiance data composite. The rise in the global mean air surface temperatures is predominantly associated with a linear increase that represents the combined effects of changes in anthropogenic well-mixed greenhouse gases and aerosols, although, in recent decades, there is also a considerable contribution by a relative lack of major volcanic eruptions. The best estimate is that the anthropogenic factors contribute 75% of the rise since 1987, with an uncertainty range (set by the 2σ confidence level using an AR(1) noise model) of 49–160%; thus, the uncertainty is large, but we can state that at least half of the temperature trend comes from the linear term and that this term could explain the entire rise. The results are consistent with the intergovernmental panel on climate change (IPCC) estimates of the changes in radiative forcing (given for 1961–1995) and are here combined with those estimates to find the response times, equilibrium climate sensitivities and pertinent heat capacities (i.e. the depth into the oceans to which a given radiative forcing variation penetrates) of the quasi-periodic (decadal-scale) input forcing variations. As shown by previous studies, the decadal-scale variations do not penetrate as deeply into the oceans as the longer term drifts and have shorter response times. Hence, conclusions about the response to century-scale forcing changes (and hence the associated equilibrium climate sensitivity and the temperature rise commitment) cannot be made from studies of the response to shorter period forcing changes.

Paulbot99
05-11-2014, 08:57 PM
How much money do we give until we feel safe? ;)

FindLiberty
05-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Taxes might not yet be high enough to prevent another ice age!
Taxes cause the sun to slowly flicker in various cyclic patterns that range from brighter/hotter to dimmer/cooler over decades, centuries and millennium.
The changes in the sun's output can even be detected on planets other than Earth. e.g., ice caps on Mars.
The taxes must be raised to save the inner planets (including Earth) from climate change, or we're all gonna' die.
The debate is over.
Science has spoken.
Na nah na nan nah.
What, are you stupid?
The debate is over; science has spoken.

bunklocoempire
05-12-2014, 02:10 PM
How much money do we give until we feel safe? ;)

This is a war on climate change mister! Somebody obviously hates the earth and the children.

Taxes might not yet be high enough to prevent another ice age!
Taxes cause the sun to slowly flicker in various cyclic patterns that range from brighter/hotter to dimmer/cooler over decades, centuries and millennium.
The changes in the sun's output can even be detected on planets other than Earth. e.g., ice caps on Mars.
The taxes must be raised to save the inner planets (including Earth) from climate change, or we're all gonna' die.
The debate is over.
Science has spoken.
Na nah na nan nah.
What, are you stupid?
The debate is over; science has spoken.

lol

enhanced_deficit
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
These news/posters also caused by Climate Change.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1786555/thumbs/o-OBAMA-570.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=je6q3A58i3ijNM&tbnid=e7AwcdKWfjnmbM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2F2014%2 F05%2F09%2Fmichelle-obama-bringbackourgirls-drones_n_5295625.html&ei=yz5xU87MAsrOsASQkIGoCg&bvm=bv.66330100,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGUC3gdTgpKShAcqxuFtnlDTo0qRA&ust=1400015461630114)

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?451772-Michelle-Obama-s-BringBackOurGirls-Message-Will-Remind-You-Of-Drone-Horror