PDA

View Full Version : Cop leaves K-9 in car in 98 degree heat for 7 hours

green73
05-11-2014, 08:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yk9eNKURo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4yk9eNKURo

PHOENIX - An Arizona Department of Corrections officer could be facing charges in the death of his K-9 partner, "Ike."

Ike died last month after he was left locked inside a hot sport utility vehicle for several hours.

The results of the investigation into Ike's death were released Friday. In this report, Ike's handler, Officer Jesse Durantes, says it was an accident. He forgot the dog was in the back of the SUV when he parked it at the prison, then went home for the day.

Now he could face time behind bars for the tragic mistake.

"We were immediately called in to do a criminal investigation," said Doug Nick with the Arizona Department of Corrections.

The results of that investigation could land Durantes in jail on animal cruelty charges.

The day Ike died, Durantes left work early to take care of his sick child and said he had a lot on his mind.

According to the report, Durantes put Ike in the back of the SUV and forgot he was there. Durantes then parked the SUV at a prison lot and went home in his private car.

Ike had been in the back of the SUV for seven hours, before another officer discovered him -- dead.

The outside temperature that day was 98 degrees. An autopsy revealed Ike's internal temperature was 110 degrees and that he died of organ failure.

cont.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/25478210/k9-death-investigators-recommend-charges

coastie
05-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Ike did this to himself.

SeanTX
05-11-2014, 09:54 AM
This seems to happen at least a dozen or so times each year. Though I had never heard of it happening before 2009 or so, and that was in Phoenix also, I think a cop got off-duty and went to a bar and "forgot" his K9 was still in his patrol SUV, on a 120 degree day.

Maybe it's like the dog shootings, it's always happened but just never got any attention in the past, or it was more easily covered up, I don't know. To me it's just another reason why cops need to have their K9s taken away -- so they can't abuse/neglect them anymore.

Another good reason is that fact that they are misused to get street justice on people, a type of on-the-spot punishment. Just simply piss off a K9 cop and he can unleash the dog on you and cause great bodily injury to you, and it's just an "oops", since the dog did it. Punishment is supposed to take place within the "justice" system (yeah, I know, I know), not out on the streets at the hands of cops or from the teeth of their abused fighting animals.

Then there are the drug dogs, that give mistaken "hits", or that are trained to do so, to enable unlawful searches. Dogs may have a legitimate role in search and rescue , but that's about it. Just make sure to let the fire department handle those, maybe they won't leave them in hot vehicles to die.

donnay
05-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Animal cruelty charges, that's all? An officer was killed. According to the police a K9 is an officer too.

muh_roads
05-11-2014, 11:08 AM
Animal cruelty charges, that's all? An officer was killed. According to the police a K9 is an officer too.

Yeah I was gonna say...if a mundane harms a K9 unit it is considered a killed officer. But if a cop does it I guess they get a pat on the bum.

FindLiberty
05-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Was not just a dog, officer down! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negligent_homicide

SeanTX
05-11-2014, 12:02 PM

I'd be okay with just firing the guy for incompetence, so long as he had to surrender any "peace officer" license he held. Plus a lifetime ban on working in law enforcement. And payment of restitution for the monetary value of the dog (after all, it was just an item of property -- to them).

A lot of parents who "forget" their children and leave them to die in hot cars aren't punished for it, so I'd be happy with just firing the guy. Maybe just let unemployment and his conscience be his punishment (if he has one, which may be doubtful).

Then on the other hand, mundanes have been prosecuted for leaving their pets in hot cars, so there's that. Anyway, I doubt the guy will even be fired, much less face animal cruelty charges. It's not that I wouldn't want to see the case pursued, it's just that I doubt a jury would convict him, and the "not guilty" verdict would assure him a future in law enforcement, and maybe a case for back pay (in the unlikely event he is fired).

There's a deputy in San Antonio who left two K9s in his patrol SUV for 48 hours almost two years ago, he's been on paid vacation ever since, indicted on animal cruelty charges, and as far as I know he hasn't been fired yet.

DamianTV
05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Remember, all Dogs, including K9 Units, in the eyes of the human Cops are flat out fucking disposable.

Danke
05-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Yes we should lock more people up. I'm sure in cases like this, if we didn't lock them up they would be repeat offenders.

SeanTX
05-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Remember, all Dogs, including K9 Units, in the eyes of the human Cops are flat out fucking disposable.

Though when one is killed by a "criminal" (perhaps in self-defense?) they will spend thousands of tax payer dollars to have a lavish "hero's funeral" for it. And put on a big show about how they cared so much for it.

When the cops kill their own K9 through abuse or neglect I'm sure it just goes to the local kill-shelter to be incinerated with the rest, or to the city dump. Though in some cases they've been buried to try and cover up what happened to them.

coastie
05-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I'd be okay with just firing the guy for incompetence, so long as he had to surrender any "peace officer" license he held. Plus a lifetime ban on working in law enforcement. And payment of restitution for the monetary value of the dog (after all, it was just an item of property -- to them).

A lot of parents who "forget" their children and leave them to die in hot cars aren't punished for it, so I'd be happy with just firing the guy. Maybe just let unemployment and his conscience be his punishment (if he has one, which may be doubtful).

Then on the other hand, mundanes have been prosecuted for leaving their pets in hot cars, so there's that. Anyway, I doubt the guy will even be fired, much less face animal cruelty charges.

There's a deputy in San Antonio who left two K9s in his patrol SUV for 48 hours almost two years ago, he's been on paid vacation ever since, indicted on animal cruelty charges, and as far as I know he hasn't been fired yet.

I wouldn't be ok with that. He should be punished just as the rest of us would've for killing that same dog, if not worse, as I'm almost positive that forcing an animal to slowly cook to death is considered animal cruelty.

Since these beasts are in fact ordained with human genes the moment one of us uppity mundanes even so much as breathes on the dog officer wrong, and will be charged as if the assault was against a human police officer(?), than it follows that the Officers should be charged with aggravated kidnapping,false imprisonment and torture every time one of them leaves the dogofficer that they are responsible in a hot car to slowly die. The laws the law, and all of that.

tod evans
05-11-2014, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't be ok with that. He should be punished just as the rest of us would've for killing that same dog, if not worse, as I'm almost positive that forcing an animal to slowly cook to death is considered animal cruelty.

Since these beasts are in fact ordained with human genes the moment one of us uppity mundanes even so much as breathes on the dog officer wrong, and will be charged as if the assault was against a human police officer(?), than it follows that the Officers should be charged with aggravated kidnapping,false imprisonment and torture every time one of them leaves the dogofficer that they are responsible in a hot car to slowly die. The laws the law, and all of that.

If some smuck is going to hire on as a cop he should absolutely be held to higher standards of both etiquette and responsibility than a simple tax-payer, punishment for failure to uphold those standards should be swift and certain and so extreme that cops 7 states away quake in their state supplied boots when it's executed.

coastie
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
If some smuck is going to hire on as a cop he should absolutely be held to higher standards of both etiquette and responsibility than a simple tax-payer, punishment for failure to uphold those standards should be swift and certain and so extreme that cops 7 states away quake in their state supplied boots when it's executed.

Eggs Zachly.

Snew
05-11-2014, 06:50 PM
R.I.P. Ike.

That officer has an obvious lack of respect for life... all too common in the police force.

limequat
05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Rule of law means equal protection under the law for all people.

That means that this police officer is condemned to die in a hailfire of 377 bullets fired by 23 of his closest cop friends.

That's just my unbiased reading of the legalities.