PDA

View Full Version : Banking Boycott

AceNZ
12-01-2007, 03:54 AM
In keeping with the discussion in a related thread, I would like to suggest the idea that Ron Paul supporters participate in a nationwide banking boycott.

Why banks? Banking and monetary reform is a key part of Ron Paul's platform. Misuse of the banking system has resulted in the theft of trillions of dollars from US citizens.

The Ron Paul campaign will benefit from this in several ways:

Attract media attention
Provides a focus on monetary and economic issues, which are at the top of the priority list for most voters
Provides a foundation from which supporters can discuss the other things that Ron Paul stands for
Provide a campaign focal point for supporters to rally around

The way it would work is similar to the moneybomb fundraising approach, in that people would sign-up and pledge to participate through an associate website. It would have more impact and visibility if the boycott was started on the same day by all participants. On that day (maybe Dec 21, the beginning of winter and the shortest day of the year?), participants would agree to take one or more of the following actions:

Call your bank and cancel as many of your credit cards as you can
Pay-off or pay-down as much debt as possible, esp. credit card debt
Close one or more bank and/or investment accounts
Stop using credit cards and checks as much as possible (revert to cash)
Convert some of your savings into gold
Move some of your savings out of US dollars into stronger currencies like the Canadian, Australian or New Zealand dollars, or the Euro
Put your house up for sale, with the idea of moving into a rental (no more motgage)
Sell a car that still has a loan on it. Buy a cheaper car debt-free if you need it.
Sell some or all of your stocks and cash out your retirement fund and move the proceeds into gold or stronger currencies as above

When banks ask why you're closing your account, say something like "I've decided to boycott your bank".

For some people, there might be some personal sacrifice involved. That's part of the idea. We want to communicate to the press how far we are willing to go to get Ron Paul's message of freedom across. It's also possible that you could actually do quite well financially with changes like these, especially if the dollar continues to collapse as it will if the Federal Reserve isn't reigned-in.

The website would also have a list of resources and provide ideas on how to decrease your debt load and disentangle yourself from the banking system. As a side-effect, people participating in the boycott will also be putting themselves in a better position to deal with upcoming "surprises" in the US financial system.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, I live what I preach -- I've already done everything on that list myself, and then some.

If there's enough interest, I'll volunteer to build a website to support the effort.

Comments?

ronpaulyourmom
12-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Ron Paul does not oppose credit. He opposes credit that is so easy to get that it promotes mal-investment and bad spending practices.

Your thread proposes a lot of worthwhile solutions that people should follow as general advice to get their life in order, but I don't know that we can be very effective at doing this sort of thing as a method of boycoting.

AceNZ
12-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Er, you mean your post is off-topic, right?

Yes, I've done many of those things -- as many as I can given that I live in New Zealand.

Are you trying to suggest that the things on your list are the only viable ways that people can help the campaign?

Calling radio shows, etc, isn't always enough. We also need something powerful to talk about. Something to help crystalize the message. We need people to come up to us and ask about Ron Paul.

Everyone participates in the process in their own way. My personal view is that the traditional campaign process is often narrow-minded, and it's prudent to persue alternative tactics in parallel, especially when the MSM isn't on your side. There are other ways to reach people.

AceNZ
12-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Ron Paul does not oppose credit. He opposes credit that is so easy to get that it promotes mal-investment and bad spending practices.

Most credit in the US these days is too easy to get....

Your thread proposes a lot of worthwhile solutions that people should follow as general advice to get their life in order, but I don't know that we can be very effective at doing this sort of thing as a method of boycoting.

Do you think it wouldn't be effective because people wouldn't participate, or because even if they did, the message wouldn't be heard?

Bradley in DC
12-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Dr. Paul doesn't want us punishing the PRIVATE SECTOR!

AceNZ
12-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Dr. Paul doesn't want us punishing the PRIVATE SECTOR!

Uh, no. Dr. Paul is in favor of banking reform. He is in favor of abolishing the Federal Reserve, which is a privately held bank. He is in favor of the creation of competing currencies, including a gold-backed one, which would directly impact bank's earnings by restricting their ability to loan (fractional reserve banking).

Where do you think the money for the Iraq war comes from? It's created by the Fed and loaned to the government. The government pays interest on that created-out-of-thin-air money, which goes into private hands. In WW II, the government had to raise money for the war by selling war bonds. Now they just create it out of thin air, stealing from the poor and middle class in the process. The rest of the banking system is complicit too.

But, I get it.... It seems like too much for RP supporters. That's cool.

westmich4paul
12-01-2007, 06:07 AM

So basically the credit they offer the poor of this country with huge interest rates.

Bradley in DC
12-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Uh, no. Dr. Paul is in favor of banking reform. He is in favor of abolishing the Federal Reserve, which is a privately held bank.

The Federal Reserve SYSTEM is a hybrid public and private system. The rest is dead on. Unfortunately, your proposal punishes the private part not the problematic public one. :(