PDA

View Full Version : War on drugs, false healer sued

tod evans
05-10-2014, 04:50 AM
"Drug abuse and mental health" are key phrases used to suck tax-dollars from various government agencies most of whom have been funded by feel good legislation claiming to help the children with drug addiction...

This is another facet of the war on drugs where various tax-ticks suck the lifeblood from a faltering economy yet the Communist Newz Netwerk wants to focus their article on federal licensing....

Ex-patients, families say decades of abuse, fraud at Colorado facility ignored

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/us/colorado-treatment-center-lawsuits/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
How did an unlicensed professional, who led people to believe he was a medical doctor, run a facility for adolescents with mental illness and drug abuse problems for decades, despite complaint after complaint to state regulators alleging abuse?
That's the question that haunts some of the alleged victims of an inpatient treatment center that operated in Wheat Ridge, Colorado, for about 30 years.
A CNN investigation uncovered at least 15 civil suits and some two dozen complaints to state regulators against Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado, also known as AFIC. The allegations include verbal and sexual abuse, unauthorized discontinuance of psychotropic medication and fraud.
The man in charge, AFIC's president and founder, Alexander Panio Jr., was not a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist in the state of Colorado, yet he was allegedly treating patients, and participating in and enabling the abuse at his facility.
"It did the most incredible damage to our family," said Rick Palmer, who's filed a civil suit against AFIC, Panio and other staff members.
Rick and Sylvia Palmer turned to AFIC in 2011 to help their then-16-year-old daughter, Jessica, a star soccer player who was struggling with mental illness and drug addiction. But instead of getting help, the Palmers say, Jessica was harmed.
In their civil suit, the Palmers claim Jessica "was repeatedly told by AFIC staff that she was a 'bitch,' 'dumb,' and a [expletive]. She was told that her parents didn't love her and that she was the source of all their problems."
The Palmers also allege Jessica was cut off from her family, was abruptly taken off her bipolar medication without authorization, and was brainwashed into believing she was faking her mental illness.
"As a result of her experience at AFIC, Jessica Palmer became more depressed, suicidal and filled with self-loathing," according to the civil suit.
Jessica Palmer took her own life in 2012, less than a year after leaving AFIC.
In court documents, AFIC and staff deny all claims. The Palmers' suit is pending, but both sides tell CNN they have agreed on settlement terms.
Complaint after complaint
The Palmers are not alone.
Colorado public records obtained by CNN detail similar complaints and other alleged abuses that date back to the mid-1980s.
The allegations of abuse include sexual misconduct during physical exams, such as fondling and measuring genitalia.
Jessica Palmer was a standout soccer player who struggled with mental illness and drug addiction. She took her own life in 2012, at age 17, less than a year after leaving the Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado.
Jessica Palmer was a standout soccer player who struggled with mental illness and drug addiction. She took her own life in 2012, at age 17, less than a year after leaving the Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado.
Another civil suit involving a 14-year-old patient of AFIC, who is referred to only as "Baby Doe" because she is a minor, alleges: "Baby Doe was required to bend over and touch her toes while [staff members] stood behind her, evaluating her exposed buttocks and genitalia. Baby Doe was then told to squat and 'walk like a duck' across the floor."
The civil suit alleges the patient began to cry and was threatened with humiliation -- "she would be labeled as having [sexually transmitted diseases] ... and disallowed from participating in certain activities" -- if she did not allow the exam.
AFIC and staff members deny these allegations. Court documents show a settlement is pending.
Public records also show repeated complaints of verbal abuse made to the Colorado Department of Human Services as early as 1990 through 2012 that allege degrading, derogatory, humiliating, and at times racially charged rants directed at patients and family members.
A county social worker who attended a patient evaluation wrote to state regulators in 1998:
"I am concerned that the treatment my client recently received in a pre-placement interview ... was demeaning and humiliating to him and basically stripped away his dignity as a human being. ... In my opinion, they tore him to shreds. ... In the 20 years I've worked in the field of Human Services, I have never seen a professional treat a youngster in a way that totally disregards him as a human being with worth. ... Incarceration is more humane."
"We were just belittled and degraded and made to feel so small we could barely get up off the mat," said Aimee Donabedian, the plaintiff in another civil suit.
Donabedian said her son Chris, 16 years old at the time, was neglected and abused at AFIC in 2010. His family checked him into AFIC after a psychiatrist had diagnosed Chris with major depression with psychotic features, a precursor to schizophrenia, and had started him on medication.
"We were told that the next step would be to have him in residential care for a few weeks to get him acclimated to his medication," Donabedian told CNN.
The Donabedian lawsuit alleges AFIC discontinued Chris' medications abruptly and without tapering.
"My illness just progressively got worse when I was there," Chris Donabedian told CNN.
He said he started hallucinating, hearing voices and begged for his medication but was denied.
"I was way worse when I left. Just the voices were really bad," he said.
Chris Donabedian has been diagnosed with schizophrenia since leaving AFIC.
Aimee Donabedian described her son's treatment as abuse.
"The abuse of not being allowed to have his medications. The abuse of being told that he's basically, no good, just the scum of the earth, that he's just a liar and a manipulator and he's really not sick."
AFIC and staff members, named as defendants in the Donabedian civil suit, deny all of these allegations.
Donabedian said the civil suit was a result of months of research "because no normal person could wrap their head around what was going on at AFIC."
She discovered that Panio wasn't licensed to practice medicine or psychotherapy but was allegedly diagnosing and treating patients.
"What we experienced there was bait and switch," Donabedian said.
'Dr. Panio'
Panio got his doctorate in psychology in 1979 from a distance-learning school. Its accreditation at the time was not government-approved and it no longer offers PhDs in psychology, the school confirmed to CNN.

More of the same at link.....

tod evans
05-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Natural News take on the matter;

(They too choose to focus on licensing) :mad:

Diploma mill 'doctor' sued over teen's suicide attempt

http://www.naturalnews.com/037624_diploma_mill_doctor_suicide.html

As we've reported here at NaturalNews in the past, diploma mills - fake universities and colleges that sell mail-order "degrees" - are increasingly causing irreparable harm across a widening swath of society, as more and more phony PhDs and other counterfeit "experts" cheat their way to the top.

Such deceit nearly turned tragic in a recent case involving a teenager who was being "treated" by a counterfeit psychologist who, if the court finds the assertions in the complaint accurate, should receive the maximum punishment under the law.

Sally and Shawn James have filed suit against Alexander Panio, Jr., and his Adolescent and Family Institute of Colorado, for providing their son, Taylor, "abusive, fraudulent and harmful" treatment.

According to the suit, which was filed in federal district court in Denver, Panio, who purchased a doctorate degree from an "unaccredited diploma mill" - the now-defunct California Western University - may have committed a "laundry list" of violations. The most onerous allegation in the 41-page complaint is a charge that when Taylor threatened to commit suicide, an AFIC employee told his mother to let him go ahead and try.

"Panio has been defrauding the world at large in regard to his academic background and credentials for decades," says the complaint. "As early as 1970, before he purchased his Ph.D. certificate, Panio referred to himself as 'Dr. Panio' and expected others to address him that way. Panio also occasionally fraudulently used an 'MD' suffix to give others the appearance that he had a medical degree."

Continuing, the complaint says that Panio tends to refer to himself "exclusively" by his false title - doctor, or Dr. Panio, and makes his patients and staff refer to him in the same manner, "even though he is not a doctor, did not go to medical school, did not go to psychology school, is not licensed and has a PhD from an unaccredited diploma mill."

High-pressure sales tactics

The James' allege that Panio purchased his credentials in a bid to defraud and deceive patients and their insurance providers.

"Panio did not undergo the kinds of rigorous education, class attendance, participation, internships, training, testing, dissertation work or licensure required of real PhD recipients or clinical psychologists" under established clinical and legal requirements, said the complaint.

The James family is also suing Panio's wife, Mary, who allegedly operates the clinic along with her husband, Dr. Edra Weiss, the medical director of AFIC who treated Taylor, a registered nurse the complaint did not name but who "acted as Taylor's psychiatric provider" at the clinic, Jeffrey Nelson, a licensed professional counselor and AFIC's director of therapy, Scott Juarez, also a licensed professional counselor who was Taylor's primary therapist, and Jane Jordan, a licensed practical nurse who also worked at the facility.

In addition to the "abusive, fraudulent" treatment, the James' allege Panio and his employees "use high-pressure sales tactics, including advising families... a) If the troubled teen is not immediately admitted to AFIC for residential that he or she will die or go to prison ... c) AFIC is unique in its approach and has a success rate of over 80 percent ... e) The troubled child's problems are caused by the parents, who can no longer handle the child and also need AFIC's help; and f) The immediate admission to AFIC is a life or death decision that must be made there and now."

The couple says Taylor was diagnosed with a mood disorder and Asperger's Syndrome by a real psychologist when he was in the sixth grade (he recently turned 18). He also suffered from depression.

Horrific pattern of abuse

Panio misrepresented himself from the outset, according to the complaint.

"During the intake therapy session, Panio told the James family that he was a doctor. He spent considerable time boasting about his degrees and his background and specifically told the James family that he had worked for former First Lady, Mrs. (Jimmy) Carter," it said.

"During the course of this initial therapy session, Panio also told the James family that Taylor James had been misdiagnosed by prior doctors and that Taylor James did not have bipolar disorder or Asperger's, but rather he had Borderline Personality Disorder."

Other horrific claims made by the Jones' include:

-- During one session, Panio told the couple they were horrible parents, in front of their son.

-- Upon admission to the clinic, Panio ordered Taylor taken off all his meds, "without appropriate medical or psychiatric consultation and without sufficient information or basis."

-- Defendants Weiss and Jordan, shortly after admission, examined "Taylor's penis and scrotum," at one point also measuring his penis, an examination that "was conducted without informed consent and for no reasonable medical purpose."

-- Panio and his staff told the James' their son's previous diagnoses were incorrect and that he was "simply making symptoms up, was attention-seeking and manipulating his parents."

-- Panio allegedly asked Sally and Shawn James to lie about their son's true condition, making it sound worse for purposes of insurance reimbursement.

-- Staff, including Panio and Nelson, "repeatedly called Taylor outrageous and demeaning names and slurs."

Juarez, the complaint states, told Sally James to let her son follow through on his threat to "take pills and drink nail polish remover," because trying to stop him "would only further encourage (his) attention-seeking and manipulative behavior."

"Taylor did attempt to overdose on pills and ingested nail polish remover. Mrs. James took him to the emergency room at Platte Valley Hospital where they pumped his stomach and transported him to The Children's Hospital, where he was admitted for a one-month stay," says the complaint.

jonhowe
05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
I have no problem with quacks being taken down. This person was abusing children. I'm not really sure what your angle is...

Schifference
05-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Police and all government agencies for that matter routinely treat people like this all the time. Look at the Mass Hospital and Justina Pelletier.

tod evans
05-10-2014, 06:31 AM
I have no problem with quacks being taken down. This person was abusing children. I'm not really sure what your angle is...

"Drug abuse and mental health" are key phrases used to suck tax-dollars from various government agencies most of whom have been funded by feel good legislation claiming to help the children with drug addiction...

This is another facet of the war on drugs where various tax-ticks suck the lifeblood from a faltering economy yet the Communist Newz Netwerk wants to focus their article on federal licensing....

My "angle" should be pretty obvious, I certainly didn't try to hide or obfuscate it in any way...

Not once did I condemn or ridicule "taking down a child abuser"..

I did however draw attention to the "justification" of these type of facilities which in my opinion is where the real story lies, not some schmuck scamming the system, the system scamming the populace in general is the real story....

jonhowe
05-10-2014, 06:38 AM
My "angle" should be pretty obvious, I certainly didn't try to hide or obfuscate it in any way...

Not once did I condemn or ridicule "taking down a child abuser"..

I did however draw attention to the "justification" of these type of facilities which in my opinion is where the real story lies, not some schmuck scamming the system, the system scamming the populace in general is the real story....

Not trying to imply you were supporting the quack; apologies if it came through like that.

At first I thought your complaint was with licensing doctors. You should be allowed to go to non licensed doctors if you choose, but they should not be allowed to misrepresent who or what they are. Now I see your complaint is that this quack was federally funded, essentially.

As far as CNN getting the story wrong, I guess the surprise is just gone for me. Of COURSE this guy was leaching off the system, isn't that what everyone does?

I should go back to bed.

DamianTV
05-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Dont forget that many laws are there for the sole purpose of propping up big business, big pharma, big health, and less actual health. Remember several years ago when there was a huge push to label all Chiropractors as quacks? The efforts failed back then, but today, Im not so sure. To make more money off of those who desperately need treatment, instead of getting your back cracked and adjusted, they'd rather cut you open, then shove a bunch of very expensive pain pills down your throat, and you'd end up "follow up" treatments for the rest of your life.

There is bullshit that stems from both sides. There are snake oil salesmen, and there are big pharma assholes as well. No information in any situation should be blindly accepted without first being challenged.

Christopher A. Brown
05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
And so I comprehensively challenge an entire situation of information which relates to the timing and intent of this thread.

Dont forget that many laws are there for the sole purpose of propping up big business, big pharma, big health, and less actual health.

There is bullshit that stems from both sides. There are snake oil salesmen, and there are big pharma assholes as well. No information in any situation should be blindly accepted without first being challenged.

Yes, gov it seems supports monopolies, but not functional ones. This area of mental health (MH) has been one heavily neglected here at PF. I've tried to get discussion going on it relating to many of the killings by cops or that because good mental health care does not exist for the general public, or perhaps those with lots of $, cops are simply disposing of the people with problems.

You are perhaps aware of my focus on cognitive infiltration. I need to bring something up related perhaps to the much needed discussion on MH.

There have been 2 killing of schizoids as the subjects of threads. A teenager with a screwdriver and a man with a knife that were the subject of threads here. This is the man with the knife shot in his bathroom.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?451555-Disturbing-Home-Video-Released-of-Police-Killing-a-Man-in-His-Bathroom&p=5524545#post5524545

There I brought up the fact that even licensed, state certified MH is not competent, so cops end up dealing with the crazies. This is aside from the fact that the minor compensation of an available but neglected training is available. MH cannot deal with shizophrenia at all and drug addictions very poorly.

My pint is that I bring up the fact that certified MH is not competent over here and HVAC replies trying to state the MH competency is not what the thread is about.

Obviously if a schizoid if flipping in a bathroom and the cops kill him, the lack of good MH is actually underlying the entire problem.

But, most important I state that if that thread is not the place for MH discussion, he should start one. Here is that thread.

Americans have no idea of the neglect and collusion between psychology, the courts and LE in order to prevent, YES, prevent competent mental health care.

yes, we do.

why do you think we are here?

but we were not talking about that.. were we.

Yesterday 09:55 PM

The discussion has 2 parts. The neglect of LE to being able to handle mental cases and the resulting violent abuse because of it.

LE has no skills because psychology has none.

What came first, the crazy or the cop killing the crazy?

At the end of it is, "why is the cop homicidal"? Another mental health issue.

So are you leading the anti mental health care discussion campaign here?

If you think you know why psychology, courts and LE do not want competent mental health care, explain it. If you think you know but this is the wrong thread, start one for it. I think it is the right thread so I'm logically posting related concerns here.

Who is the "we" you refer to?

HVAC posts a bizarre evasion then an unaccountable poster posts an obscure comment, then HVAC answers my query to the unaccountable. Somewhere in there Tod Evans posts this thread which DISTRACTS from the incompetency of certified mental health care by focusing on the tragedies associated with a non certified, unlicensed MH, drug recovery facility in Colorado being sued in civil court.

Let us get back to your appropriate point which actually has a very important inversion.

"Dont forget that many laws are there for the sole purpose of propping up big business, big pharma, big health, and less actual health. "

The inversion is that an unlicensed uncertified individual operated from that facility for 30 years! So the same system that props up big pharma refused to deal with a quack, still doesn't because this is a civil suit not a criminal prosecution for unlicensed MH practice.

Here is the underlying fact I'm getting at. Nearly all MH problems are rooted in disorders of the unconscious mind. I know for a fact that the American Psychological Association refuses to comment, guide or recommend upon any direct treatment to the unconscious mind. In fact when confronted they are evasive.

So the implications of this post are;

Is HVAC and the unaccountable poster as well as Tod Evans all one cognitive infiltrator? Tod has not been accountable to addressing lawful, valid strategy for defense of the constitution and instead indirectly, unaccountably supports violent revolution.

Accordingly, by implication and inference, herein we might see core issues relating in the scarcity of real discussion on MH, the refusal of the militant crowd to discuss lawful, peaceful revolution defending the 1787 constitution and the very real potentials for the unconscious mind being used to create the ultimate forms of secrecy. Essentially a large false group carefully pushing the PF users towards violent revolution, away from defense of the constitution and discussion on the utter incompetence of legitimate MH care assuring that mind control of the NWO is not a topic. All while distracting from the fact that by default cops are arbiters of MH problems in this society with bullets.

tod evans
05-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Mumble, mumble rattle and prattle

"Jane you ignorant slut!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80nW6AOhTs)

Lookie here psycho-boy, I personally have asked you pointed and direct questions regarding your misguided ideas (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?451483-Teen-Dead-After-Alabama-Police-%91Cut%92-Throat-to-Retrieve-Drugs&p=5523702#post5523702) and you flat out refuse to answer them.

Who in the hell do you think you are calling anyone on this forum anything when you, yourself, are so rude as to not address simple and direct queries?

If in this post you are referring to psychologists and psychiatrists when you use the initials "MH" might I suggest you contact yours as your meds seem not to be working very well...

Origanalist
05-11-2014, 10:52 AM
"Jane you ignorant slut!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80nW6AOhTs)

Lookie here psycho-boy, I personally have asked you pointed and direct questions regarding your misguided ideas (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?451483-Teen-Dead-After-Alabama-Police-%91Cut%92-Throat-to-Retrieve-Drugs&p=5523702#post5523702) and you flat out refuse to answer them.

Who in the hell do you think you are calling anyone on this forum anything when you, yourself, are so rude as to not address simple and direct queries?

If in this post you are referring to psychologists and psychiatrists when you use the initials "MH" might I suggest you contact yours as your meds seem not to be working very well...

Thanks for paraphrasing that post. :D

Christopher A. Brown
05-11-2014, 12:48 PM

If you mean this,

Originally Posted by Christopher A. Brown
I personally think that eventually, after the ending of the abridging of free speech, Blah, blah, blah
I asked you quite clearly how exactly you intend to achieve this particular goal right here;

Originally Posted by tod evans
Let's see if I understand you correctly...

You're advocating that masses of people who eschew physical force band together and attempt to impose their beliefs on the most heavily fortified government in the world?

Yes or No?

[edit]

If you have it in you to answer the yes/no question.......

The post you quoted asks another couple of questions in a similar vein....

Somehow you seem to have glossed over them when you quoted me..
Is there a reason you're avoiding simple discourse?

It seems as though your entire philosophy of achieving freedom hinges on the idea of rallying hoards of people to make peaceful demands of armed opposition....

Why not break it down into baby steps so you yourself may explore its feasibility?

You have misinterpreted my position compleyely and intentionally. I know you cannot show otherwise. Anyone that has been following what I'm doing knows it too.

You are busted in a big way because you've used BS to try and change the subject from MH which indicates how important it is to the NWO to keep out of sight.

Looks like a cluster of coginfils trying to cover up their act to me.

tod evans
05-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Looks like a cluster of coginfils trying to cover up their act to me.

Don't they teach you how to use the quotation function in VBulletin at whatever corp you're posting on behalf of?

Here's the question again, care to answer it?

[edit] I'll include yesterdays diatribe in question since it appears as though you've forgotten your own words..:rolleyes:

As soon as one states citizens assemble with petitions requesting that legislators declare their acceptance of constitutional intent, and follows through with proper demands for impeachment in this constitutional emergency, we will see a purge of unconstitutional officials in all areas of states government.

Let's see if I understand you correctly...

You're advocating that masses of people who eschew physical force band together and attempt to impose their beliefs on the most heavily fortified government in the world?

Yes or No?

All of the broken English, disjointed accusations and poorly executed cut-n-paste jobs aren't going to distract from the simple question....

Dr.3D
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Folks don't take kindly to coginfils round these parts.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Where'd that guy go?

Coginfils got him?

Anti Federalist
06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Where'd that guy go?

Coginfils got him?

tod evans
06-21-2014, 05:47 AM
I'm bettin' his bosses pulled him from the detail....

Occam's Banana
06-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Where'd that guy go?

He was banned for a while. Not any more, though.
So perhaps we'll be hearing from him again ...

Coginfils got him?

I wouldn't put anything past those damn dirty InSiNcErE AmErIcAnS.

Say ... you wouldn't know who any of them might be ... would you, AF?

:p;)