PDA

View Full Version : FCC Throttled By NeoCities In Net Neutrality Protest

jim49er
05-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Web hosting company NeoCities is throttling all connections from the FCC to its site to 28.8kbps, until the FCC signs up for an exclusive, $1000 a year subscription plan to remove the cap.

Lots of companies on the web are complaining about the Federal Communications Commission's decision to trash net neutrality, but one of them is actually doing something about it. NeoCities, a free, open-source web hosting company, has dropped the hammer on connections from the FCC to its site.

"I've (through correspondence) gotten access to the FCC's internal IP block, and throttled all connections from the FCC to 28.8kbps modem speeds on the Neocities.org front site, and I'm not removing it until the FCC pays us for the bandwidth they've been wasting instead of doing their jobs protecting us from the 'keep America's internet slow and expensive forever' lobby," NeoCities founder Kyle Drake wrote in a blog post.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.849515-FCC-Throttled-By-NeoCities-In-Net-Neutrality-Protest

CaseyJones
05-09-2014, 05:58 PM
hehe

angelatc
05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Ha ha ha!!!!

LibForestPaul
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Kabuki theatrics. Time for some safeguards protecting public infrastructure from corporate bilking.

Dr.3D
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Lends a new meaning to getting throttled.

Petar
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
"Net-neutrality" is just some shitty government regulation of the internet... more liberals being pissed off about precisely the wrong things...

brandon
05-09-2014, 08:48 PM
So they are protesting that the government hasn't taken away their network traffic rights by exercising the rights that they don't think they should have? Or am I misunderstanding?

For some reason I don't think the FCC is going to be too upset about losing access to geocities... i mean neocities?

brandon
05-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Promoted to the front page... RPF is pro net neutrality now? Who's running the show here nowadays?

specsaregood
05-09-2014, 09:33 PM
For some reason I don't think the FCC is going to be to upset about losing access to geocities... i mean neocities?

Shit they can go ahead any block my ip. I doubt the FCC will even notice. Sounds like some lame attempt at getting traffic/news.

idiom
05-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Promoted to the front page... RPF is pro net neutrality now? Who's running the show here nowadays?

People don't seem to get it.

If you wanted a government solution it would be what we have in New Zealand. The government created tonnes of little companies that own fibre to homes in a suburb. They operate as utilities and rent the fibre to whichever ISP wants it, so you get as many ISPs as you want. It lowers the barriers to entry, so you get the same effect as when any ISP could use a copper line to give you 56k.

Once the last mile access was a utility then ISP service becomes truly competitive.

Of course the Municpalities in the US would have a ift because they would lose the kickbacks they get from the Monopolies.

NorfolkPCSolutions
05-09-2014, 10:47 PM
This is not a bad idea. Because it is, however, a not bad idea, it could never be implemented here in the youessuvay.

People don't seem to get it.

If you wanted a government solution it would be what we have in New Zealand. The government created tonnes of little companies that own fibre to homes in a suburb. They operate as utilities and rent the fibre to whichever ISP wants it, so you get as many ISPs as you want. It lowers the barriers to entry, so you get the same effect as when any ISP could use a copper line to give you 56k.

Once the last mile access was a utility then ISP service becomes truly competitive.

Of course the Municpalities in the US would have a ift because they would lose the kickbacks they get from the Monopolies.

Well, not yet at least. We're not collectively pissed off enough yet as Americans.

Natural Citizen
05-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Senate Dems protest FCC plan for Internet ‘fast lanes’ (http://thehill.com/policy/technology/205743-senate-dems-protest-fcc-plan-for-internet-fast-lanes)

AT&T claims common carrier rules would ruin the whole Internet (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/att-claims-common-carrier-rules-would-ruin-the-whole-internet/)

I 'd like to see google, msn and yahoo and those providers try the same thing we see in the op. Every single politician's aid uses these services for mail and a host of other things. Heh. That'd be a hoot alright.

idiom
05-10-2014, 03:10 AM
This is not a bad idea. Because it is, however, a not bad idea, it could never be implemented here in the youessuvay.

Well, not yet at least. We're not collectively pissed off enough yet as Americans.

Any city that wanted to could lay its own last mile fibre and rent it out to all-comers.

If there were any libertarians with an entrepreneurial bent they could do it also.

dannno
05-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Spiritfire should do the same thing, that will show em.