PDA

View Full Version : TX-Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

Anti Federalist
05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
All is not lost.

Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Boy-punished-at-school-for-refusing-to-stand-for-Pledge-of-Allegiance-258402211.html

by Rucks Russell / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on May 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM

NEEDVILLE, Texas -- Mason Michalec says he loves his country but just not the government.

“I’m really tired of our government taking advantage of us,” said Michalec. “I don’t agree with the NSA spying on us. And I don’t agree with any of those Internet laws.”

That's why he's taken a pledge of sorts to not say the Pledge of Allegiance with classmates.

“I’ve basically said it from the time I was in kindergarten to earlier this year and that’s when I decided I was done saying it.”

For the most this year, his silent protest has gone unnoticed. But on Wednesday, when a different teacher observed it for the very first time, the Needville High School sophomore ran into trouble.

“And she told me this is my classroom," said Michalec. "This is the principal’s request. You’re going to stand. And I still didn’t stand and she said she was going to write me up.”

Michalec says the principal sentenced him to two days of in school suspension, and warned that he could face more ISS if his protest continued.

It’s a consequence the 15-year-old seems prepared to face.

“And I think it’s time that people do something for themselves and stop taking whatever’s handed to them," said Michalec. "I’m angry and frustrated and annoyed that they would try to write me up for something I have the right to do.”

According to KHOU 11 News legal expert attorney Gerald Treece, the sanctions imposed by the school appear to violate Michalec’s first amendment rights.

Officials with the school district could not be reached for comment

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-09-2014, 12:35 PM
misleading article is misleading, he wasn't punished for some breach of pledge of allegiance, he was punished for not listening to his master, PERIOD (the teacher)

Danke
05-09-2014, 12:52 PM
“And I think it’s time that people do something for themselves and stop taking whatever’s handed to them," said Michalec. "I’m angry and frustrated and annoyed that they would try to write me up for something I have the right to do.”

It's called "voluntary compliance." Get use to it, terrorist!

JK/SEA
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Now he needs to write an essay on Patriotism, Nationalism, and why Tyranny embraces both.

Should get an A+.

Carlybee
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
My son refused to stand when he was a sophomore in high school and I got a call from his teacher telling me my son was unpatriotic.

coastie
05-09-2014, 01:07 PM
My son refused to stand when he was a sophomore in high school and I got a call from his teacher telling me my son was unpatriotic.

Please tell us the story ends with you going up to the school and the teacher needing your foot surgically removed from her ass...

Carlybee
05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Please tell us the story ends with you going up to the school and the teacher needing your foot surgically removed from her ass...

I just told him that worshipping a flag was not synonymous with patriotism and that my son carried a pocket constitution with him and perhaps he, the teacher, should ask my son his reasons for not standing rather than overreacting. He never did.

phill4paul
05-09-2014, 01:22 PM
There may yet be hope. At least one youth has awoken.

coastie
05-09-2014, 01:32 PM
I just told him that worshipping a flag was not synonymous with patriotism and that my son carried a pocket constitution with him and perhaps he, the teacher, should ask my son his reasons for not standing rather than overreacting. He never did.

Hmm. Better than putting a foot in the ass, I guess.

On second thought, since he never did ask, maybe the foot would've helped!

Carlybee
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Hmm. Better than putting a foot in the ass, I guess.

On second thought, since he never did ask, maybe the foot would've helped!

At the time I was perturbed because I got called at work and it was just one more annoyance involved in raising a teenage boy. I didn't give him any grief over it but would have preferred to to have to deal with it at the time. I did tell the teacher maybe he could have called me about something important like my sons grades at the time.

satchelmcqueen
05-09-2014, 02:54 PM
good for this kid for having an opinion he can stand straight with. i like it!!!

last night at a friends graduation the whole crowd stood and did the pledge. i did not. they also had a prayer for the troops that "keep us safe and free from the terrorists". i just shook my head and im sure a few people noticed. idiots.

Danke
05-09-2014, 03:02 PM
good for this kid for having an opinion he can stand straight with. i like it!!!

last night at a friends graduation the whole crowd stood and did the pledge. i did not. they also had a prayer for the troops that "keep us safe and free from the terrorists". i just shook my head and im sure a few people noticed. idiots.

Look what you have done!

http://dmsblogdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/crying11.gif?w=584

Danke
05-09-2014, 03:07 PM
nvm, she better now.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwPSlaFUqBrdcf06rZ_axsAeqEhOPzR qx3BrC_ehtBXi_3POewUQ

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-09-2014, 03:30 PM
From the article [emphasis mine]: "And she told me this is my classroom," said Michalec. "...You’re going to stand.

Pretty much explains everything.

PaulConventionWV
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Stay strong, kid! You've got an army behind you!

MichaelDavis
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
All is not lost.

Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Boy-punished-at-school-for-refusing-to-stand-for-Pledge-of-Allegiance-258402211.html

by Rucks Russell / KHOU 11 News

khou.com

Posted on May 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM

NEEDVILLE, Texas -- Mason Michalec says he loves his country but just not the government.

“I’m really tired of our government taking advantage of us,” said Michalec. “I don’t agree with the NSA spying on us. And I don’t agree with any of those Internet laws.”

That's why he's taken a pledge of sorts to not say the Pledge of Allegiance with classmates.

“I’ve basically said it from the time I was in kindergarten to earlier this year and that’s when I decided I was done saying it.”

For the most this year, his silent protest has gone unnoticed. But on Wednesday, when a different teacher observed it for the very first time, the Needville High School sophomore ran into trouble.

“And she told me this is my classroom," said Michalec. "This is the principal’s request. You’re going to stand. And I still didn’t stand and she said she was going to write me up.”

Michalec says the principal sentenced him to two days of in school suspension, and warned that he could face more ISS if his protest continued.

It’s a consequence the 15-year-old seems prepared to face.

According to KHOU 11 News legal expert attorney Gerald Treece, the sanctions imposed by the school appear to violate Michalec’s first amendment rights.

Officials with the school district could not be reached for comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srv_V3-oqsc

PaulConventionWV
05-09-2014, 03:39 PM

"Thanks, good to know."

*click*

Henry Rogue
05-09-2014, 07:39 PM
A young August Landmesser.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Landmesser

JK/SEA
05-09-2014, 08:03 PM
we all know this is about control right?...the argument is if one person doesn't conform, then the possibility there will be others to follow....

PierzStyx
05-09-2014, 08:19 PM
A young August Landmesser.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Landmesser

Of an equal age to Helmuth Huebner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_H%C3%BCbener

DamianTV
05-09-2014, 08:21 PM
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the war criminals that run america, and to the treason, for which they stand, one nation, enslaved by banks, with no liberty or justice for all.

Cleaner44
05-09-2014, 09:31 PM
So an individual is fed up with the state forcing their tyrannical ways onto the citizens that they are supposed serve... and the response from the statists is to force tyranny onto the individual.

I don't think the statists will succeed in persuading the individual that he is wrong.

fr33
05-09-2014, 09:37 PM
If I had it to do over again, I'd sit on my ass.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-09-2014, 10:18 PM
If I had it to do over again, I'd sit on my ass.

I put my hand on my heart to make it look good but I never said it

Brandywine
05-09-2014, 10:23 PM
We actually always had a kid in my class that wouldn't stand and say it, because he was Jehovah's Witness or something and they are against pledging to anything but God… no one had an issue with it. I guess this isn't Texas though.

Bryan
05-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Just a friendly note to everyone that some comments / posts were deleted here. Per the guidelines, comments should not be made that "promote negativity in collectivist mindsets that view humans as members of groups rather than individuals"- this includes sexism. Perhaps the guidelines can be more clear here on what this includes but we do not want a site that is hostile to half the population. I am open for feedback (not in this thread) for ideas / suggestions.

Thanks.

Carson
05-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Sometimes you may not be moved by the Pledge. Other times you are.

Everyone being required to go through the motions every time sort of renders it meaningless.

And there were several of us that just moved our lips during class singing.

Christopher A. Brown
05-10-2014, 12:35 AM
we all know this is about control right?...the argument is if one person doesn't conform, then the possibility there will be others to follow....

Yes, well stated.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2014, 11:42 AM

When catching school dolphin, and no, not the Flipper kind, these fish:

http://www.fishabout.com.au/image/2/400/0/5/media/news_images/dollytom.jpg

One of the tricks used is to keep one fish hooked up and in the water behind the boat.

The rest of the school will hang around and you can keep picking them off, sometimes for hours.