PDA

View Full Version : TX-Remember Candy the dog shot by deputy? Deputy indicted by the grand jury.

Anti Federalist
05-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Rains County deputy indicted on animal cruelty after shooting of dog

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Rains-County-deputy-indicted-on-animal-cruelty-after-shooting-of-dog-258648881.html

RAINS COUNTY — A grand jury has indicted a former Rains County deputy on an animal cruelty charge over the controversial shooting of a family’s dog last month.

Jerrod Dooley, 32, has been charged with a state jail felony, punishable by up to two years behind bars. Dooley was fired last month within days of the shooting that sparked a national furor after the dog’s owner went public with his story.

"This is clearly a political knee jerk reaction by the DA in Rains County and there’s no chance that this case will stand up in court," said Pete Schulte, Dooleys' attorney. "It’s a legal impossibility because he was acting within the scope of his employment as a public servant. We look forward to our day in court.”

He added that he was told that he would be provided an opportunity to present information to the grand jury and he’s disappointed that didn't occur.

"They indicted him within two weeks," Schulte said. "That never happens."

In a tearful interview last month, Dooley tried to explain why he shot the 2-year-old blue heeler named Candy.

"I tried, but I didn't think I could get away from her," he said haltingly. “I told her to 'get back,' she wouldn't get back ... and I fired two shots."

Dooley described himself as a dog lover and said he previously worked for the SPCA.

On April 19, Dooley responded to a burglary call at a farm in Point, Texas. Middleton had called the sheriff’s department several hours earlier to report a break-in.

Dooley has said that when he first arrived, the dog wasn't acting aggressive, but that when he got out of his squad car the dog came at him and he had to shoot her.

Dash cam video shows Candy barking and then jumping out of the truck out of the camera’s view. The actual shooting isn't seen on the video.

The video shows Dooley telling Middleton that he shot the dog.

"Partner, you're about to be upset, but your dog charged me and I had to shoot it," he said.

"My God, no! No! No! No!" Middleton screams.

"Calm down! Calm down!" Dooley tells him.

Middleton has said that the bullet struck her in the back of her head and came out one of the dog’s eyes. He also said the dog wouldn't have survived so to relieve her suffering, he put her head in a bucket of water.

"I did the unimaginable, but it had to be done so she could go home," he told News 8 last month.

Candy’s death sparked a national furor after Middleton took to social media to tell his story and released a video. The video shows other officers mugging for the camera shortly after the shooting.

Dooley, who's a single father, said he and his son have received death threats.

“I can’t go to the grocery store without being recognized, pointed at, laughed at," Dooley said. "Can't pay my water bill without hearing my name, saying 'There's the sorry cop that killed the dog.'"

(Good - AF)

Dooley said during the interview that he wishes things had turned out differently.

“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,” he said. There's probably not a minute that goes by that I don't think about it. I'd give anything to walk up to him, hug his neck, try to make his pain go away. I know I'll never get that chance."

Danke
05-09-2014, 12:29 PM
“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,” Not stable enough to own a gun.

coastie
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,” he said. There's probably not a minute that goes by that I don't think about it. I'd give anything to walk up to him, hug his neck, try to make his pain go away. I know I'll never get that chance."

Good motherfucker. I hope you hear it until the day you die. The dog's owner surely will.

I hope this drives you over the edge, and you do the world a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool, you fucking scumbag coward piece of shit.

You and those of your ilk's days are numbered...you are GOING to come across a dog owner that won't be so forgiving by any stretch of your sick imagination. This goes for that sick fat piece of shit mugging for the camera, too.

I really hope they never come to my neighbor's house, he has 2 Bully Blue Pits. Most awesome dogs in the world, will even obey a friendly person.

You'd definitely be seeing me on the news if they do....

<insert comment that would've gotten me perma-banned, and a visit from LEO's>

SeanTX
05-09-2014, 01:07 PM
“I hear her yelp every night before I go to bed,”

I have a feeling that yelp would have been long forgotten if not for the fact that the shooting stirred up a sh*tstorm that got him fired.

Good on the grand jury to indict, a rarity in TX. It won't go anywhere beyond that, there's no way a trial jury would convict him (you just need to select one cop/ex-cop/cop family member to assure that).

Now if they'd just start indicting cops who shoot people in wheelchairs wielding a ball-point pen and such ...

fisharmor
05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Middleton has said that the bullet struck her in the back of her head and came out one of the dog’s eyes. He also said the dog wouldn't have survived so to relieve her suffering, he put her head in a bucket of water.

....Are we sure that this isn't the sticking point here?
Seems like drowning has never been considered a humane way to put an animal down.

phill4paul
05-09-2014, 01:24 PM
"They indicted him," Schulte said. "That never happens."

FTFY

SeanTX
05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Seems like drowning has never been considered a humane way to put an animal down.[/COLOR]

I would imagine that the dog's brain was so badly damaged that it may not have been cognitive enough to suffer from the drowning any more than it was already, it was probably just thrashing about in it's death throes and the owner couldn't stand to see that, so he freaked out and did the first thing that came to mind. I guess he could have choked it to death, or bashed its head in, but that would have been just as horrible.

I can't really fault him for that, it must have been like a nightmare to him and he just wanted to do whatever he could to end it, right then and there. I remember him saying that when he was drowning her he was "just praying for it to end." I fault the deputy for putting him in that horrible position.

He didn't have the option of shooting it to put it down, because his guns had been stolen in the burglary the deputy was supposed to be there dealing with. If he had had a firearm handy he might have had a different sort of "freak out" that would have involved more than just the dog being put down.

Cops need to realize that they are putting themselves in a dangerous position by doing something so needlessly provocative on some other person's property. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't -- and when it does they will be all butthurt when people cheer.

coastie
05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Seems like drowning has never been considered a humane way to put an animal down.[/COLOR]

Well, Mr. Scrady-pants police officer wouldn't finish her off, and the guys guns were stolen. What else was he supposed to do, let her suffer?

coastie
05-09-2014, 01:28 PM
..... If he had had a firearm handy he might have had a different sort of "freak out" that would have involved more than just the dog being put down.

And rightfully so. God or whomever help the pig that shoots my dogs.

Zippyjuan
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Thread headline sounds like the dog was indicted.

TX-Remember Candy the dog shot by deputy? He's been indicted by the grand jury.

(note: headline has since been edited)

Philhelm
05-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Good motherfucker. I hope you hear it until the day you die. The dog's owner surely will.

I hope this drives you over the edge, and you do the world a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool, you fucking scumbag coward piece of shit.

You and those of your ilk's days are numbered...you are GOING to come across a dog owner that won't be so forgiving by any stretch of your sick imagination. This goes for that sick fat piece of shit mugging for the camera, too.

I really hope they never come to my neighbor's house, he has 2 Bully Blue Pits. Most awesome dogs in the world, will even obey a friendly person.

You'd definitely be seeing me on the news if they do....

<insert comment that would've gotten me perma-banned, and a visit from LEO's>

I'm here to kick ass and give rep, and I'm all out of rep.

fisharmor
05-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Well, Mr. Scrady-pants police officer wouldn't finish her off, and the guys guns were stolen. What else was he supposed to do, let her suffer?
I missed that it was the owner that did it.... I should've figured the cop would be content to watch it convulse for ten minutes.

cajuncocoa
05-09-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm here to kick ass and give rep, and I'm all out of rep.
covered it for ya.

EBounding
05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Considering how nuts this guy is, the dog may have saved the owner's life. If the dog wasn't there, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Dooley shot the owner.

Pericles
05-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Anytime a cop is startled, he will immediately go for the handgun. No hesitation.

RJB
05-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Was this the clown who was crying for the cameras as he retold the story?

CPUd
05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8cMgoEt.png

VoluntaryAmerican
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Just me or does this cop sound like a sociopath liar... He showed no remorse in that video... More like in tears he's losing his license to bully and steal.

Anti Federalist
05-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Just me or does this cop sound like a sociopath liar... He showed no remorse in that video... More like in tears he's losing his license to bully and steal.

http://i1.cpcache.com/product/73408861/crocodile_tears_tile_coaster.jpg?height=225&width=225

satchelmcqueen
05-10-2014, 08:35 PM
wah wah wah