PDA

View Full Version : Attack Huck?

Rhys
12-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Should one of the radio ads i'm making attack Huck? I've thought about it over and over, and I say yes. No one MUST use it.

Double edged sword? definitely. Help in Iowa? I think so.

I have this:

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum is quoted - “[Mike
Huckabee] destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the
Republican Party a shambles, yet some of the same evangelicals who sold
us on George W. Bush as a ‘compassionate conservative’ are now trying
to sell us on Mike Huckabee.”

I have this slogan:
"Mike Huckabee, Wrong on taxes, Wrong on the Right. Vote Ron Paul for President."

And there's the fair tax being a sales tax. Also, there's his golden goose video "any kind of tax is fine with me".

PROS: Attack ads work. Huck is on the rise, this could stop him.
CONS: Attack ads aren't exactly Ron Paul's style, however, when I asked the campaign if they had a message they would like, they said "do what ever you feel needs to be done." I feel an attack ad against Huck needs to be done. I really do.

Indy Vidual
12-01-2007, 02:54 AM
Paid for by...

You can do it as an individual (or PAC) and not mention Ron Paul.
As long as it's truthful, you're informing not attacking. :)

Edit:
I just read your post more carefully.
Of course, you want to mention Ron Paul, but should he be associated with negative ads?
Tough decision.
````````
Also, about tone and content:

IMO, the tone and content depends on what state you are in.

Open primaries = Honestly appeal to everyone and don't bother saying "Wrong on the Right"
Closed primaries = In a truthful manner, appeal to the Republican base.

Thanks, for buying ads :)

Hope
12-01-2007, 02:57 AM
I don't like it. What Would Ron Paul Do? If Ron Paul wouldn't do it himself, I'm not going to try to take the campaign in that direction.

coffeewithchess
12-01-2007, 04:30 AM
Attack ads work, but I would do it as an independent without using Ron Paul's name, kind of like the "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth". I think Huckabee needs to be stopped now and brought to a halt...I think we are seeing from the CNN debate that Romney is worried with Giuliani(which makes no sense) and basically they ignored Huckabee for the most part, allowing him to say his good one liners and cause the audience to laugh and applaud.
Huckabee came out shining in the debate because he had a lot of talk time. I'm just glad for Tancredo OWNING Huckabee towards the end on the Space Program/NASA question.

This is politics and POLITICS IS/ARE DIRTY!

CelestialRender
12-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't do it. Here's why:

1. If we don't mention RP, it's a net failure. Hurting Huck only props up another neo-con.
2. If we DO mention RP, then it makes him look negative.

Just stick to positives for RP: They're working in the states where the campaign has run them.

ItsTime
12-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Doesnt Ron Paul point out when people are wrong? I see no harm in telling the truth.

philgest
12-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd do the ad, but not mention Dr. Paul.

The quote is good, - Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum is quoted - “[Mike
Huckabee] destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the
Republican Party a shambles, yet some of the same evangelicals who sold
us on George W. Bush as a ‘compassionate conservative’ are now trying
to sell us on Mike Huckabee.”

And your slogan would be a good end to the ad...but I'd shorten it and not mention Dr. Paul:
"Mike Huckabee, Wrong on taxes, Wrong on the Right."...paid for by bla bla bla

jenninlouisiana
12-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Don't forget to add www.taxhikemike.com

I wouldn't mention Ron Paul.

Changing my mind..... Huckabee is the flavor of the month...

it's too early for attack ads....

i'd make a nice ron paul ad.

Lord Xar
12-01-2007, 11:16 AM
also..

Roy Beck from NumbersUSA said "Huckabee was abysmal on illegal immigration". That on every instance in his state in which illegals vs. citizens for anything, he always sided with the illegals.

that is a very poignent thing in Iowa. Basically, Huck is not better than clinton, obama or any of the open border policy makers...

Infact he is worse because he 'lies'.

Roy Beck says "HE IS ABYSMAL" - rated an "F" by that organization -- look it up for exact quote.

btw. I would not mention "ron paul". That is my take, you should get a consensus on that.

ALSO, you MUST mention the illegal immigration issue - that is HUGE given his HORRIBLE stances on it.

Immigration groups slam Huckabee as a 'disaster'
Friday, November 30 @ 14:20:42 CST by Jean (125 reads)
Groups that support a crackdown on illegal aliens haven't settled on their champion in the race for the White House, but there's little doubt which Republican scares them most — former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

"He was an absolute disaster on immigration as governor," said Roy Beck, president of NumbersUSA, a group that played a major role in rallying the phone calls that helped defeat this year's Senate immigration bill. "Every time there was any enforcement in his state, he took the side of the illegal aliens."

As Mr. Huckabee rises in the polls, his opponents are beginning to take shots at him on immigration. Just as problematic for the former Arkansas governor, however, is that the independent interest groups that track the issue are also giving him the once-over, and don't like what they see.

November 30, 2007
Stephen Dinan
The Washington Times

jgmaynard
12-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think it's a good idea.

First, states are different. Negative campaining DOES work in some areas, but definantly NOT in others. Do you know the politics of Iowa well enough to know what the net effect of it is there? I know in NH, it is the exact wrong thing to do (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=31280&highlight=keough).

And if you are determined that it is the right idea, I agree with the folks that say you should keep Ron's name off of it - Let it come just from the PAC/organization paying for it. As long as you are bringing down the front-leading neocon in a state, it's OK if they go to other neocons - we want their numbers to divide as evenly as possible, to allow Ron to win as easily as possible.

I've spent a lot of years doing this stuff and studying the results carefully, but it's just my $0.02 ($0.01326576974123 after taxes).

JM

fortilite
12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Why negative campaign? There are too many competitors, and those competitors are so different from Paul that it will have nil effect. The more neo cons in the race the better, let them split the vote and fight amongst themselves. If you are Romney and Rudy, and you are similar, it makes sense to fight. You need to outclass your clone. Making Romney look bad would just push people to Rudy. Making Rudy look bad would just push people to Romney.

We need to debate concepts, we need to make people aware of the increasing nature of the dollar plunge, we need to show that Ron Paul is the only candidate to have opposed the war from the beginning. We need to show why Ron Paul is worth voting for.

Kingfisher
12-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Do it but leave Ron Pauls name out of it.

mtmedlin
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
DO IT! Leave Dr. Pauls name out of it and consider doing it in New Hampshire. Iowa is pretty much a lost cause. I can only hope for a top 5. New Hampshire is where we should attack not only Huck but also go after McCain. These two may take enough votes to cost us a win. Some people assume that we dont share the same people but that is simply not true. Many people are looking to McCain and Huckster because their not Romney and Guiliani.

ps. Dont listen to the WWRPD people. Ron Paul is a person not a fucking religion. I want RP because he shares my believes not because I am loyal to RP.

Rhys
12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Here's where I'm at after reading every one's post and thinking some more:

Do it in Iowa as a PAC.
I never wanted to in NH, just to be clear. NH hates nasty.

Reasons for Iowa:

1. Further muddle the field to make Paul's needed percentile lower
2. Slow Huck in his home fort. Remember Karl Rove and Bill Belichick's theory, Attack their strength.
3. Eliminate Huck from the race. If he loses Iowa, he loses period. He only has like 2 or 3 mil. and I like his supporters. They'd fit well under our tent.. once they come around!

Tarzan
12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I think this could help... Hbees support appears to be coming from the misinformed religious fundamentalists. Pointing out the truth about this guy could break them loose from supporting him... in Iowa at least... NOT IN NH.

Take a closer look at his record... there is more about him that could be nicely worded to point out the truth and cut pretty deeply with the FF. I wish I could give you something specific... alas!

You might ask for some assistance from the forum... perhaps a copywriter or someone with a different perspective could help sharpen up the content a bit.

I think it is a great idea
goog luck to us all

Chaos Unlimited
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Attack the issues not the candidates. Educate people about the issues. Educate people about Ron Paul. Don't drag Ron Paul into the mud.

Huckabee supporters are not and will never be Ron Paul supporters. They are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.