PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Home Video Released of Police Killing a Man in His Bathroom

mrsat_98
05-09-2014, 03:38 AM
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/disturbing-home-video-released-police-killing-man-bathroom/

A family has released video of a police shooting that left their loved one dead. The family is now calling a federal investigation into the shooting they say was unjustified.

Fort Bend County Sheriff’s deputies arrived at the home of Michael Blair in response to a 911 call for help, on the night of Nov. 4 2013.

Blair, who has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, had barricaded himself in the bathroom with a knife, threatening to kill himself.

When police tried to get Blair out of the bathroom, they resorted to drill instructor methodology of yelling and screaming, which then escalated to several tasings.

Eventually Blair was pushed to his limits and lunged at one of the deputies. He was shot multiple times and was killed.

This video is but another tragic example of the level police incompetence when dealing with the mentally ill.

A recent report out of California showed that the overwhelming majority of police have not completed state certification that focuses on the training in dealing with mental illness, suicide behavior, and drug use.

Instead of compassion and patience, which should be used in dealing with mentally unstable people, we see screaming and violent escalation.

The incompetence and negligence is rife throughout all levels of law enforcement which is why the deputy who conducted the shooting was not charged and the department calls his actions “justified.”

Next time you pick up the phone to dial 911, remember this story, and the hundreds of other stories in which the police have shown up to a situation only to turn it violent and deadly.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/disturbing-home-video-released-police-killing-man-bathroom/#jDgvLkpziz1gD8h1.99

phill4paul
05-09-2014, 07:05 AM
They didn't have time for that.

FindLiberty
05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I watched the entire unedited video... police did nothing particularly wrong IMO.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c74_1399580183 (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c74_1399580183)
They tried to de-escalate... Situation even appeared to be almost resolved... Then TSHTF.

I did not sense any lack of training in dealing with the disturbed individual with the knife.

I've experienced the "sleeper on park bench jumps up with knife" scenario on an official
police video training simulator (I was just a little too slow on my correct decision to shoot).
Unfortunate but necessary use of deadly force IMO. I would not want to have to deal
with real life/death decisions like this, ever. My simulator experience was disturbing enough.

Police should have had additional Tasers /CS that may have eliminated the need for use of
lethal force in that bathroom.

phill4paul
05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
I watched the entire unedited video... police did nothing particularly wrong IMO.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c74_1399580183 (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c74_1399580183)
They tried to de-escalate... Situation even appeared to be almost resolved... Then TSHTF.

I did not sense any lack of training in dealing with the disturbed individual with the knife.

I've experienced the "sleeper on park bench jumps up with knife" scenario on an official
police video training simulator (I was just a little too slow on my correct decision to shoot).
Unfortunate but necessary use of deadly force IMO. I would not want to have to deal
with real life/death decisions like this, ever. My simulator experience was disturbing enough.

Police should have had additional Tasers /CS that may have eliminated the need for use of

Negative: They escalated the situation when they forced entry.

ClydeCoulter
05-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Negative: They escalated the situation when they forced entry.

And kept tasing him even when he was just laying in the tub (toward the end).

JK/SEA
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I conceal carry. Years ago, on my 15 acre buffer zone, i was making a walk around on the property. As i walked by a large fir tree, there was an older, down and out dude sitting under the tree. He told me to keep walking 'motherfucker' as he pulled a knife. He was maybe 20 feet away. I asked him if he was OK after his initial outburst. I knew instantly that this guy was not hinged, and treated him with kindness, and walked away telling him to take it easy....my property, i had a gun....didn't even brandish...incident over...not too hard...kops are out of control big time.

kcchiefs6465
05-09-2014, 10:19 AM

The first words they said, as per your 'unedited' video are, "We will kick in your door and I don't want to do it."

"He's going to throw it".... as in, throw the knife at the brave, gun wielding, group of men.

Is it him yelling "please" [stop tasing me] and "don't shoot"? Then saying he does not have a knife in response to the police commands. Telling the officers to use their common sense?

"You will drop that knife" (after a good minute of electrocution).. another example of their fine deescalation skills.

Christopher A. Brown
05-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Americans have no idea of the neglect and collusion between psychology, the courts and LE in order to prevent, YES, prevent competent mental health care.

HVACTech
05-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Americans have no idea of the neglect and collusion between psychology, the courts and LE in order to prevent, YES, prevent competent mental health care.

yes, we do.

why do you think we are here?

but we were not talking about that.. were we.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM
So yeah, whenever I'm talking with anybody, I always show them how it is. Like the other day, I saw this 3 year old kid pick up some candy and go through the grocery line with his mother. The kid didn't present the item, so I said, "Hey, mother fucker, get your ass back here!!"

Then, one time I was at the zoo when the lions just kept staring at me. I said, "What the fuck are you looking at, you stupid ass beasts!" They didn't do shit.

Tomorrow, I'm going down the river and bust up the rocks at the spillway. That fucking river has crested and flooded the neighborhood for the last damn time!

Christopher A. Brown
05-09-2014, 10:55 PM
yes, we do.

why do you think we are here?

but we were not talking about that.. were we.

The discussion has 2 parts. The neglect of LE to being able to handle mental cases and the resulting violent abuse because of it.

LE has no skills because psychology has none.

What came first, the crazy or the cop killing the crazy?

At the end of it is, "why is the cop homicidal"? Another mental health issue.

So are you leading the anti mental health care discussion campaign here?

If you think you know why psychology, courts and LE do not want competent mental health care, explain it. If you think you know but this is the wrong thread, start one for it. I think it is the right thread so I'm logically posting related concerns here.

Who is the "we" you refer to?

HVACTech
05-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Who is the "we" you refer to?

the contents of my pocket?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8D5Ihe4hg

Christopher A. Brown
05-10-2014, 09:30 PM
So yeah, whenever I'm talking with anybody, I always show them how it is.

Then, one time I was at the zoo when the lions just kept staring at me.

Tomorrow, I'm going down the river and bust up the rocks at the spillway.

Very weird post. Context is not cognizable.

Is it that the schizoid in the bathroom does not listen or that HVAC can't relate the failings of mental health to proper law enforcement action, which is unlawfully homicidal, despite my trying to connect it up?

HVACTech
05-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Very weird post. Context is not cognizable.

Is it that the schizoid in the bathroom does not listen or that HVAC can't relate the failings of mental health to proper law enforcement action, which is unlawfully homicidal, despite my trying to connect it up?

yes.

any other questions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVaTzcUf1Vk

Occam's Banana
05-11-2014, 02:40 AM
A recent report out of California showed that the overwhelming majority of police have not completed state certification that focuses on the training in dealing with mental illness, suicide behavior, and drug use.

Instead of compassion and patience, which should be used in dealing with mentally unstable people, we see screaming and violent escalation.

Here's a synopsis of how the above would likely be translated into police training materials: "The modern professional police officer should always shoot mundanes to death with a compassionate and patient demeanor, rather than with screaming and violent escalation. (Please, guys - give your fellow officers on PR whitewash duty a break.)"

coastie
05-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Interesting. You must've had the shittiest training possible, as they handled that 40 different types of wrong.

By the way, I aced all my shoot/don't shoot scenarios, (had to every 6 months) and never had a pretend shoot "disturb" me.<(wtf?) I hope you found new, less scary work since then.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Family seeks help with schizophrenic family member, police arrive and tase, shoot him

http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/michael-blair/

HOUSTON, TX –A family received more than they bargained for when they requested the help of local police in dealing with a mentally ill family member. To “defuse” a situation involving a delusional man who had locked himself in a bathroom with a knife, police kicked in the door, screamed obscenities, tased him several times, and finally shot him to death. The horrifying scene was captured through a hidden camera set up by family members who were distrustful of police.

The incident involving the death of Michael Blair took place on November 4th, 2013. The video was only recently released.

It began as Blair, a 26-year-old paranoid schizophrenic, had an emotional episode in which he picked up a knife and claimed he wanted to hurt himself. Blair took the knife and locked himself in a bathroom. Not knowing what else to do, the Blair family called 9-1-1 for assistance.

While police were en route, a family relative placed a cell phone in the hallway pointing toward the bathroom. The relative was concerned about what might happen when all of the family members were removed from view. The camera obtained a perfect angle from across the hallway, toward the doorway of the bathroom.
“You want to do this the easy way. Don’t make us do it the hard way.”

Two Fort Bend County Sheriff’s deputies soon arrived. They initiated contact in the most cordial way they knew how.

“Hey man, we will kick in the door, and I don’t wanna do it,” one officer barked. “You want to do this the easy way. Don’t make us do it the hard way.”

Police confirmed that Mr. Blair had a knife to his neck, which caused them to kick the door in immediately and scream as loudly as their lungs would allow.

The officers continued screaming at the top of their lungs at the ill man. “Drop the knife! Drop the knife! You will drop that knife! You hear me?!”

The excited man was in no condition to follow commands. The deputies began employing their tasers as a bargaining tool. Mr. Blair could be heard yelping in pain from the electric shocks.

At one point the primary negotiator lowered his voice a few decibels and for the first time tried to talk to Mr. Blair without screaming. “Let it go. I don’t want to shock you again.” Blair could be heard babbling incoherently as he lay in a bathtub, frightened from the taser.

The final negotiation was immediately followed by the sound of more shocks being administered. “I need another taser!” the deputy called to his partner, evidently signaling that he had drained his batteries.

As the shocks finally ceased, Mr. Blair stood up and shook off the probes that had pierced his body. As he walked for the door, the lead deputy opened fire. Eleven shots rang out.

Watch the hidden camera video of the incident below. [ WARNING: Graphic Content]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2lCWUufgRFU

The shot continued in rapid succession even after Blair had dropped to the floor. Among his fatal wounds, Blair was shot in the head.

The family could be heard shrieking with terror. “Oh Jesus! You killed him!” a woman sobbed from off-camera.

“We want him to live a long life, so he will always remember my son and how he murdered him in that bathroom that day. My son did not deserve 11 shots to his head, and we have to find out from the media how many times he was shot in that bathroom. Even though we heard the shots ring out, we didn’t know. All that we’re asking is that someone recognizes what we recognize. That was brutality at its finest in that bathroom that day,” said Michael’s mother, Kimberly Blair-Olaniyi.

As we have repeatedly seen, sending government force to ‘deal with’ a person suffering from mental instability is often a recipe for disaster. Cops know brute force, not finesse. The panicked, mentally ill man was only pushed over the edge by the violence that came crashing through his door. The screams and electric shocks were the last thing the situation needed.

Requesting the forceful presence of government agents should only be sought with extreme caution. The pervasive enforcer mentality has proved to many people that the response that they may receive could turn out to be dramatically less than helpful.

The situation is under further investigation, and the family intends to file a lawsuit.

enhanced_deficit
05-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Freedom is on the march.

JK/SEA
05-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Freedom is on the march.

yep...right into the abyss.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2014, 05:27 PM
yep...right into the abyss.

Hut Hut Hut Hut Hut

outspoken
05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
I am going to go with the cops on this one... A deranged individual with a weapon. While unfortunate, the family had to at least consider the potential when they could not control the situation. Mental health issues are tough and can escalate quickly. Many cops do use their authority in various ways that violate our basic rights and use excessive force... This ain't one of those cases and is a disservice real incidences of police brutality. I think some ambulance chaser and a family looking for a fast buck is the driving force behind calling this police brutality.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2014, 07:17 PM
I am going to go with the cops on this one... A deranged individual with a weapon. While unfortunate, the family had to at least consider the potential when they could not control the situation. Mental health issues are tough and can escalate quickly. Many cops do use their authority in various ways that violate our basic rights and use excessive force... This ain't one of those cases and is a disservice real incidences of police brutality. I think some ambulance chaser and a family looking for a fast buck is the driving force behind calling this police brutality.

Disagree.

They are tough, and can escalate quickly, which is why nobody was served by a bunch of amped up cops, hut hutting onto the scene, screaming orders, kicking doors down and tasing people.

Textbook way in which to push an unbalanced person right over the edge.

But, like the case of the cops shooting the 93 y/o woman who was reportedly waving a gun around, the fault here lies with whatever idiot it was that called cops and thought things were going to turn out any different than a loved one with problems ending up dead.