PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Home Depot (Bush Cheney crony company)

cindy25
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2014/05/08/the-war-party-makes-a-comeback/

And they aren’t forgetting about Justin Amash, believe you me: he is the target of a primary challenge by one Brian Ellis, who is supported by millions in out of state neocon money – including a hefty donation from Home Depot – in addition to plenty of dough from the Chamber of Commerce

HOLLYWOOD
05-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Oh, there's a Fascist Rouge inner circle of government(both Republican & Democrats) that have hijacked the country...

This GEM:
Ellis’s business-group backers include the fundraising arms of Home Depot and Dow Chemical. One of Amash’s Michigan Republican colleagues, Rep. Mike Rogers(R-MI), cut his opponent a $5,000 check, telling Politico that Amash "votes more with the Democrats than with the Republicans."http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/justin-amash-michigan-tea-party-republicans/2014/05/08/id/570372/

oyarde
05-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Chamber of Commerce ? I am not surprised .

roho76
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Chamber of Commerce ? I am not surprised .

You mean the Chamber of Corporate Welfare Entitlements?

SneakyFrenchSpy
05-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Boycott Meijer Supermarkets??

Among those who are backing Amash's primary challenger, Brian Ellis, are several members of the powerful Midwest supermarket chain Meijer family

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Senate-Michigan-tea-party-primaries/2014/05/08/id/570233/

Warlord
05-09-2014, 08:31 AM
SICKENING.....

angelatc
05-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I wish the right was as proactive as the left on this.

We lost the media because when it was suggested that we should boycott liberal movies, we were told they were just movies. Now we are going to lose corporate America too. Subway, Home Depot, Meijers - they pull this crap and it gets ignored.

Meanwhile, the left organizes spontaneously and gets conservative CEOs removed from office and TV show hosts removed from the air in a matter of hours. Not weeks, not days, hours. We are losing so badly.

Deborah K
05-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Geez...we're DIY remodelers and upgraders and practically LIVE at Home Depot on the weekends. Uggggghhhhhh...... Is Lowe's safe???

angelatc
05-09-2014, 08:48 AM
Geez...we're DOY remodelers and upgraders and practically LIVE at Home Depot on the weekends. Uggggghhhhhh...... Is Lowe's safe???

Lowes is apparently Democrat.

(Note to self - you know you can't believe everything you read in a Facebook comment, dammit.)

Deborah K
05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Lowes is apparently Democrat.

Well, if they're not actively opposing liberty candidates, then we'll spend our money there instead, even it does cost a little more. I've never been opposed to boycotting. It's a vote with your dollar afaic.

compromise
05-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Now we are going to lose corporate America too. Subway

What did Subway do?

amy31416
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
I've always gone to Lowe's and haven't found anything terribly wrong with them so far, but I will definitely avoid any company actively trying to get Amash out of office--far more important than party, in my opinion.

angelatc
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Well, if they're not actively opposing liberty candidates, then we'll spend our money there instead, even it does cost a little more. I've never been opposed to boycotting. It's a vote with your dollar afaic.

I stand corrected. (http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00251751) Lowes has donated to both parties, but primarily to Republicans.

So far they have not donated to either Amash or Ellis: http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacgot.php?cmte=C00251751&cycle=2014

compromise
05-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Btw are the guys hanging out in front of Home Depot covered under the boycott? They are cheap and often do a good job.

angelatc
05-09-2014, 09:03 AM
What did Subway do?
Calling for an increase in the minimum wage.

amy31416
05-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Why the hell would they do that?

Shane Harris
05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHkGS2H3u0

angelatc
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000035776

Meijer's has donated almost $12,000 to Ellis. Their HQ is in Amash's district.

Deborah K
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHkGS2H3u0

Now I'm confused. Totally incongruent to the OP. Why would they support Snowden and be against Amash? Makes no sense at all.

compromise
05-09-2014, 09:31 AM

Are you talking about the CEO? Didn't he say he was indifferent rather than outright calling for it?

amy31416
05-09-2014, 09:33 AM

That's our closest grocery store, so I'm really glad to know this.

angelatc
05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Are you talking about the CEO? Didn't he say he was indifferent rather than outright calling for it?

Not exactly.

When I started in the business, the minimum wage was $1.25. I've seen an enormous number of wage increases. Basically it applies evenly to everyone in the business. This increase would impact Subway plus every other competitor so it would not put any brand at a particular disadvantage. It might have a slight impact on consumers because what's going to happen is a wage increase will happen and all the restaurant owners will have to recoup that somehow, usually through a price increase. It might make eating out at restaurants have a little bit less competitive advantage compared to supermarkets.

Over the years, I've seen so many of these wage increases. I think it's normal. It won't have a negative impact hopefully, and that's what I tell my workers. I always have whenever we come across these things. I personally think that if I were in charge of the government, I would index the minimum wage to inflation so that way everybody knows what they can count on. The employees know they're going to get increases on a regular basis. The management knows that they're going to have to pay a little bit more with inflation. It just seems much more sensible and fair to me. I don't know why it hasn't been done like that. I would do it that way because in the long, long run it's going to approximate the change in inflation.

He says it won't have a negative impact because all their competitors will have to pay the increased wages. I disagree with that, and I would imagine that if I were able to interview him, I could get him to admit otherwise.

It seems sensible and fair to him to tie a minimum wage to inflation? Then why isn't he making that a condition of their franchise agreements?

BamaAla
05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I like my local hardware store anyway.

willwash
05-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Don't just stop buying at Home Depot if you're going to do this. Make sure to call their customer service, navigate the phone tree until you are speaking to a(n) (American) human being and politely explain why you are moving your business to Lowe's.

Deborah K
05-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Don't just stop buying at Home Depot if you're going to do this. Make sure to call their customer service, navigate the phone tree until you are speaking to a(n) (American) human being and politely explain why you are moving your business to Lowe's.

Of course!

CPUd
05-09-2014, 11:19 AM
I wish the right was as proactive as the left on this.

We lost the media because when it was suggested that we should boycott liberal movies, we were told they were just movies. Now we are going to lose corporate America too. Subway, Home Depot, Meijers - they pull this crap and it gets ignored.

Meanwhile, the left organizes spontaneously and gets conservative CEOs removed from office and TV show hosts removed from the air in a matter of hours. Not weeks, not days, hours. We are losing so badly.

But people around RPFs are pretty good at getting small town PDs to take down their facebook pages.

kathy88
05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I have a Lowe's within 15 miles, Home Depot is farther, but I used to make the hour drive because their prices are lower. I won't be doing that any more. I work for one of the largest employers in Detroit. I guess I need to do some networking and pump up Justin to the powers that be.

axiomata
05-09-2014, 03:45 PM
What's the scoop on Menards. One just opened near me.

Zippyjuan
05-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Keep in mind that "donors" listed at Open Secrets are people who reported a company as their employer- not necessarily the company itself. Ron Paul didn't receive money from US military branches but people who listed themselves as members of the military.

This table lists the top donors to this candidate in the 2012 election cycle. The organizations themselves did not donate , rather the money came from the organizations' PACs, their individual members or employees or owners, and those individuals' immediate families. Organization totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

Because of contribution limits, organizations that bundle together many individual contributions are often among the top donors to presidential candidates. These contributions can come from the organization's members or employees (and their families). The organization may support one candidate, or hedge its bets by supporting multiple candidates. Groups with national networks of donors - like EMILY's List and Club for Growth - make for particularly big bundlers.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Home Depot sucks. They even suck compared to Lowes. Shop around. Your local hardware store is often cheaper. I once got a box a nails from a local store. $17. Same fucking box of nails was $25 at the mega dump. Ounce per ounce, the oil is cheaper at the local place. I really have not even priced anything else in awhile. Home Depot should be anybody's LAST choice for value. Their shit sucks.

Natural Citizen
05-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Home Depot sucks. They even suck compared to Lowes....Their shit sucks.

Absolutely. I bought an outdoor spigot from Home Depot and the thing dripped from the start. Some other stuff was cheaply made that I bought from them too. I was happy to find some Blueberry bushes that were labeled Non-GMO from Lowes this past weekend though along with decking that I didn't have to dig all the way to the bottom of the stack to find good wood...unlike Home Depot. Horrible wood they have at Home Depot. Knots, splits...bowed....a mess.

40 dollars for that chinese piece of crap spigot. Never again. If it's not Made in America then I'm not buying it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Oops. Wrong thread.

angelatc
05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
. I was happy to find some Blueberry bushes that were labeled Non-GMO from Lowes ......

LMAO! There is no such thing as a GMO blueberry. Please tell me you paid extra!

Natural Citizen
05-09-2014, 10:00 PM
LMAO! There is no such thing as a GMO blueberry. Please tell me you paid extra!

The point was that it was labeled. So get back in yer hole, troll.

And there absolutely are genetically modified blueberries. They just aren't on the market yet.

CPUd
05-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Here's some GMO blueberries, they don't even bother making them blue anymore:
http://i.imgur.com/dlzaDkS.jpg

Natural Citizen
05-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Here's some GMO blueberries, they don't even bother making them blue anymore:
http://i.imgur.com/dlzaDkS.jpg

Actually, Lowes had a broad variety of Non-GMO fruits. All labeled Non-GMO. Seemed to be selling well because they were half stocked by the time I got to them.

angelatc
05-10-2014, 07:52 AM
The point was that it was labeled. So get back in yer hole, troll.

And there absolutely are genetically modified blueberries. They just aren't on the market yet.

Ha - the first thing I did when I turned on the laptop was to come down here and marvel at this thread again. "GMO blueberries." Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! The field trials ended in 2007, and apparently they were not successful because it appears there was no application filed to sell them commercially. So there are no GMO blueberries. Period.

This is EXACTLY the government should not require GMO labeling. The market can and will indeed respond to perceived demand. This isn't about health - this is the organic food lobby trying to get the government to help them with their marketing efforts.

Lowes had a broad variety of Non-GMO fruits. Ha ha ha ha!!!! So does every other retailer in America! Because the only GMO fruit out there is papaya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya_ringspot_virus), which you're not growing unless you live in Hawaii or South America.

Seemed to be selling well because they were half stocked by the time I got to them. Yeah, I'm sure that the fact that this is the peak of the spring planting season across a lot of the country has nothing to do with that. It is obviously that non-GMO label that's bringing them in.

I hope they paid extra. Lowe's should add a .50 surcharge to their non-GMO fruits and create a science education foundation.

donnay
05-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Absolutely. I bought an outdoor spigot from Home Depot and the thing dripped from the start. Some other stuff was cheaply made that I bought from them too. I was happy to find some Blueberry bushes that were labeled Non-GMO from Lowes this past weekend though along with decking that I didn't have to dig all the way to the bottom of the stack to find good wood...unlike Home Depot. Horrible wood they have at Home Depot. Knots, splits...bowed....a mess.

40 dollars for that chinese piece of crap spigot. Never again. If it's not Made in America then I'm not buying it.

I agree Lowes has better garden stuff by far. I love their heirloom variety. I also like the Organic "Bonnie Plants" variety as well. They offer a lot in the way of organic vegetables (http://www.lowes.com/Plants-Bulbs-Seeds/Bulbs-Seeds/Plant-Seeds/_/N-1z0wg8o/pl#!) seeds too.

HOLLYWOOD
05-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Both Mega Dumps give a 10% discount to Veterans.

I still buy from local privately owned businesses as much as possible...

Natural Citizen
05-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Ha - the first thing I did when I turned on the laptop was to come down here and marvel at this thread again. "GMO blueberries." Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! The field trials ended in 2007, and apparently they were not successful because it appears there was no application filed to sell them commercially. So there are no GMO blueberries. Period.

This is EXACTLY the government should not require GMO labeling. The market can and will indeed respond to perceived demand. This isn't about health - this is the organic food lobby trying to get the government to help them with their marketing efforts.

Ha ha ha ha!!!! So does every other retailer in America! Because the only GMO fruit out there is papaya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaya_ringspot_virus), which you're not growing unless you live in Hawaii or South America.

[COLOR=#111111] Yeah, I'm sure that the fact that this is the peak of the spring planting season across a lot of the country has nothing to do with that. It is obviously that non-GMO label that's bringing them in.

I hope they paid extra. Lowe's should add a .50 surcharge to their non-GMO fruits and create a science education foundation.

Angela, I'm beginning to think that you like having your rear end paddled. Why do you make me do this to you? You never win. Ever. It's not like I enjoy watching you over there in the corner with the dunce hat. I don't. But you envite it. Every single time.

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to start a thread on the subject in a more relevant area of the forum. In fact, I probably already should have done this but it's important to establish the fact that this labeling infrastructure exists in the market prior to where you want to go . But please understand that it brings me no enjoyment or satisfaction.

youngbuck
05-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Well crap. I won't shop at Lowe's either because of their history of contributing money to gun control groups. I guess that leaves True Value and Ace...

MelissaWV
05-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Re: the GMO/non-GMO thing...

I do not have a green thumb, and am willing to admit I may be off-base on this, but wouldn't having the "non-GMO" plants in the same area as the "GMO" plants kind of... cause problems? Cross pollination, birds and insects bringing seeds from one type of plant to the other, etc., would seem to be a problem, but maybe the Lowe's there has a split section for fruits/veggies that are non-GMO?

oyarde
05-10-2014, 08:02 PM
What's the scoop on Menards. One just opened near me.

Good question , because I have been using them primarily for awhile.

angelatc
05-10-2014, 09:03 PM
Re: the GMO/non-GMO thing...

I do not have a green thumb, and am willing to admit I may be off-base on this, but wouldn't having the "non-GMO" plants in the same area as the "GMO" plants kind of... cause problems? Cross pollination, birds and insects bringing seeds from one type of plant to the other, etc., would seem to be a problem, but maybe the Lowe's there has a split section for fruits/veggies that are non-GMO?

The fact that the same people who insist they have a right to KNOW what is in their food are the same people proudly seeking out non-GMO blueberries that have come on contact with with GMO blueberries and are also vehemently against even duscussing the concept of terminator seeds which would solve that problem has just amused me the whole freaking day.

angelatc
05-11-2014, 11:46 AM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/14891_10202556994943950_8846892042924345987_n.jpg

This public service message has been brought to you by Home Depot.

CPUd
05-11-2014, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9HV5O8Un6k