PDA

View Full Version : Pat Buchanan: Walter Jones Repels a War Party Attack

jct74
05-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Walter Jones Repels a War Party Attack

Pat Buchanan
May 09, 2014

The GOP Beltway establishment is celebrating the victory of Thom Tillis, Speaker of the North Carolina House, over his Tea Party and Evangelical rivals in Tuesday's primary for the U.S. Senate.

But the story ended less happily for the Beltway elite in the Tar Heel State's 3rd Congressional District. There, the planned purge of Rep. Walter Jones was repulsed by his loyal Republican base.

Yet, this massively funded effort, to kill the career of a 20-year House veteran, whose father held the seat for decades before him, testifies eloquently to the intolerance of the ideological and monied elite of the party to which conservatives give allegiance.

Reportedly, a million dollars of super PAC money poured into the 3rd, from Republicans, in support of a brazen Big Lie campaign to paint Walter Jones as a liberal. But what is the Congressman's real record?

read more:
http://townhall.com/columnists/patbuchanan/2014/05/09/walter-jones-repels-a-war-party-attack-n1835631/page/full

jct74
05-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Walter Jones: The Future of the Republican Party?
"Walter Jones has taken the neocons’ best shot and is still standing."

W. James Antle III
May 8, 2014

Normally, it is unremarkable when a twenty-year incumbent wins a primary. Even in an era of low congressional approval ratings, incumbent re-election rates for the House still routinely top 90 percent.

But what Walter Jones did Tuesday in North Carolina’s third congressional district is worth a bit more attention than Clay Aiken’s campaign, with all due respect to the former “American Idol” star. The ten-term Republican famously transformed from the man behind the anti-French “freedom fries” crusade into one of the most passionate opponents of the Iraq war in Congress.

Jones went on to oppose future proposed military interventions in Libya and Syria; support strategic withdrawal from Afghanistan; contemplate cuts in the Pentagon budget; push for greater oversight of National Security Agency surveillance; vote against extensions of the Patriot Act.

Moreover, he has done all of this while representing a Southern conservative congressional district that is home to two military bases, including Camp Lejeune, which houses some 40,000 Marines. Jones’ own congressional website notes, “In total, the installation surrounding community is home to an active duty, dependent, retiree and civilian employee population of approximately 180,000 people.”

If a principled critic of foreign military adventurism can survive politically in this district, it opens possibilities for Republicans skeptical of the neoconservative approach everywhere. Jones has managed to still be seen as a steadfast friend of the military and remains a committed social conservative.

read more:
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/walter-jones-the-future-the-republican-party-10393?page=show

MichaelDavis
05-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Pat made a factual inaccuracy. Walter Jones Sr. never held the 3rd district seat. He represented the 1st district. Walter Jones Jr.. ran to succeed his father as a Democrat, but lost the primary. Two years later, he ran in the 3rd district as a Republican and won.

GunnyFreedom
05-09-2014, 02:17 AM
Pat made a factual inaccuracy. Walter Jones Sr. never held the 3rd district seat. He represented the 1st district. Walter Jones Jr.. ran to succeed his father as a Democrat, but lost the primary. Two years later, he ran in the 3rd district as a Republican and won.

Correct

Peace&Freedom
05-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Notice all the money Republican PACs poured into trying to defeat Jones, compared to the millions the party leadership withheld from Cuccinelli in VA last year. Clearly, the special interests are not interested in accepting liberty or Tea Party candidates and are putting up active resistance to the 'wrong' GOP contenders, even when they are the incumbents.

anaconda
05-09-2014, 04:33 PM
I think there is a real PR opportunity here. Rand & others should be signing Buchanan's song far and wide and from every mountaintop. For many weeks to come and starting yesterday. This is the archetype example of how the central bank/warfare government paints real conservatives as fringe or, in this case, "liberal." Rand should build the Jones case into every speech where he advocates for the big tent, and rail against the people (by name) that are working to thwart his efforts.

On the other hand, I don't see any evidence that Rand lifted so much as a finger to help Walter Jones. So he might get accused of being hypocritical if he were to make an issue of it.

RandallFan
05-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I wonder why everyone stayed out of it. I mean Rohrabacher or anyone like that.

It actually works out better in the end that Walter Jones won with no support.

The voters will actually see his good record for the next 2 years. In 2016 they may be concerned about targeting him. Will they run on needing a Republican who will work Clinton.

GunnyFreedom
05-09-2014, 08:14 PM
I wonder why everyone stayed out of it. I mean Rohrabacher or anyone like that.

It actually works out better in the end that Walter Jones won with no support.

The voters will actually see his good record for the next 2 years. In 2016 they may be concerned about targeting him. Will they run on needing a Republican who will work Clinton.

Jones will probably be retiring in the next election or the one after. I've been racking my brain to come up with the funds to move into the 3rd District. The established Party adores me in the 3rd. I have no interest whatsoever in primarying Jones....obviously....but I certainly would not mind running for the open seat with full Party backing....

Spoa
05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
You would be great! Keeping this seat for liberty is important.

GunnyFreedom
05-09-2014, 08:19 PM
You would be great! Keeping this seat for liberty is important.

I am not kidding when I say I would have the Party support in the 3rd. They legitimately love me. I attend the 3rd CD excomm meetings quite a bit, even though that district is like 150 miles away from me. My support East of 95 is mainstream GOP. Everyone who likes Jones, likes me. Half the GOPers who hate Jones, like me. If I had the money to move, it would seriously be a no-brainer.

Brian4Liberty
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM

Brian4Liberty
05-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Peace&Freedom
05-09-2014, 11:03 PM
I am not kidding when I say I would have the Party support in the 3rd. They legitimately love me. I attend the 3rd CD excomm meetings quite a bit, even though that district is like 150 miles away from me. My support East of 95 is mainstream GOP. Everyone who likes Jones, likes me. Half the GOPers who hate Jones, like me. If I had the money to move, it would seriously be a no-brainer.

Since it's a congressional seat, isn't it possible for you to run even if you don't yet live in the district, then move there later after you win?

anaconda
05-10-2014, 04:59 AM
Interesting: a different Jewish group gave $10,000 to Walter Jones' campaign.

http://forward.com/articles/197877/j-street-backed-gop-incumbent-walter-jones-survive/

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Since it's a congressional seat, isn't it possible for you to run even if you don't yet live in the district, then move there later after you win?

Being a former Confederacy state it IS, but running from more than 10 miles out of district is at least a 10 point headwind. Without being a hardcore establishmentarian, or running a nearly impossible race to make a point (NC CD 1), that would seem like wasting donor money for the nearly impossible.

MichaelDavis
05-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Being a former Confederacy state it IS, but running from more than 10 miles out of district is at least a 10 point headwind. Without being a hardcore establishmentarian, or running a nearly impossible race to make a point (NC CD 1), that would seem like wasting donor money for the nearly impossible.

So Greenville's a lot more libertarian than Raleigh? I hope so. The establishment will run a Chad Barefoot/Taylor Griffin establishment hack against you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions.

GunnyFreedom
05-10-2014, 01:01 PM
So Greenville's a lot more libertarian than Raleigh? I hope so. The establishment will run a Chad Barefoot/Taylor Griffin establishment hack against you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in contributions.

No, they are just more likely to reject lies and propaganda. I am not a libertarian myself. I suspect they would not be fond at all of a libertarian philosopher. They are particularly fond of someone who is conservative and will obey the Constitution.

jct74
05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
The 7 most awesome things Walter Jones has ever done

Matt Naham, Rare Staff
Posted on May 7, 2014 5:25 pm

On Tuesday, Rep. Walter Jones (R-NC) successfully fended off establishment candidate and former Bush aide Taylor Griffin in the North Carolina primary by 51-45 percent margin. It was an important win for the tea party and libertarian Republicans seeking a more restrained foreign policy than what the GOP has promoted in the past.

Among politicians, Walter Jones is about as sincere and principled as they come. Here’s seven reasons why.

read more:
http://rare.us/story/the-7-most-awesome-things-walter-jones-has-ever-done/

compromise
05-16-2014, 01:34 AM
I think there is a real PR opportunity here. Rand & others should be signing Buchanan's song far and wide and from every mountaintop. For many weeks to come and starting yesterday. This is the archetype example of how the central bank/warfare government paints real conservatives as fringe or, in this case, "liberal." Rand should build the Jones case into every speech where he advocates for the big tent, and rail against the people (by name) that are working to thwart his efforts.

"Singing Buchanan's song far and wide" is the way to lose. That would be walking back on all the effort Rand's put in to appeal to minorities. It might work in a small town in a red state, but Rand has to win a nation.