PDA

View Full Version : ‘We Suck and We’re Sorry’: Video Says White Men Need to Apologize for Their Privilege

RonPaulFanInGA
05-08-2014, 05:54 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/08/we-suck-and-were-sorry-beck-lashes-out-at-video-saying-white-men-need-to-apologize-for-their-privilege/

A video titled “White Guys: We Suck and We’re Sorry,” which argues that white men need to apologize for their privilege and past transgressions, was recently picked up by the Huffington Post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HruwVGO-20

Don't bother reading the rest of that article from The Blaze, it's extremely centered around Beck. The Blaze was founded by Beck, yes, but it seems every paragraph but the very first one is about Beck and his thoughts on the matter, rather than reporting on the actual story.

Henry Rogue
05-08-2014, 06:00 PM
I apolgize for being a white guy. Wooh, I feel better now.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-08-2014, 06:04 PM
good thing those lady men don't represent me

AlexAmore
05-08-2014, 06:08 PM
It's so stupid. It's not because you're white or straight that you're privileged, it's because you're a part of the majority. White people have been enslaved from all over Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. Their whiteness didn't give them any special superpowers. Being a majority and leveraging that over others with government force helps a whole bunch, though.

tod evans
05-08-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm not apologizing for shit, let alone my ancestors...

Any privilege I have I earned.

LibForestPaul
05-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I am not white. I am Slavic. I need not apologize.

juleswin
05-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I actually think this is satire. I can't believe Beck did not checkout their other videos before getting outraged and making a post for it. Actually I can see how since it is not very funny but watch the video they made for "Millennials: We Suck and We're Sorry" and you can see the intent behind this video. So cool down guys, these guys are not actually ODing on white guilt as they appear to be in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4IjTUxZORE

VIDEODROME
05-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm an underemployed college grad. Where is my privilege?

DamianTV
05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Im not apoligizing for anything that I have zero control over, nor should anyone else.

What we should apologize for are things (in general) that we do have control over, such as how we choose to treat other people. The Blaze should apolgize to everyone for having made the choice to demand that people of a specific color need to apologize for something they have zero control over. Why dont they just as well demand that I be made to apologize because plants are green, or that fish live in water? I have no control over that. No one should ever have to apologize for having a black / hispanic / asian / white / celtic / slavic / indian parent or parents. Statement encourages racism against white people, or those that others can consider to be white / caucasian.

Refusing to learn languages of the country to which a person is born however is a choice, which is typically my biggest beef with many hispanics that refuse to speak english. When said group of individuals make a choice to demand that I learn to speak their language, I am offended, and believe I have the Right to be offended by such statements. Im not going to move to Germany, have a kid, teach the kid English only, then demand that all Germans only speak English. In that case, I believe I would be completely in the wrong.

Fuck the Blaze, satire or not.

AuH20
05-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Gradients of Privilege among slaves? Really?

zep tepi
05-08-2014, 06:56 PM
My good friend is in this (and the Millennials one), and it is most definitely satire. Everybody in that video is a comedian, and whether one finds it funny or not, it is definitely not meant to be taken seriously. Ironically, in Beck's article, he put a disclaimer above the video saying that it might seem like a skit, but it's actually real. It seems like a skit because it is a skit. Man, I'd sure hate to go to an improv show with him.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I honestly can't tell if that's satire or not. It seems like it is, but it's just weird and doesn't seem to have a point.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm an underemployed college grad. Where is my privilege?

I just joined you.

NIU Students for Liberty
05-08-2014, 07:57 PM
The satire is plainly obvious: "For us, inequality is kinda like quantum physics."

Learn how to decipher a joke "culture warriors".

Henry Rogue
05-08-2014, 08:42 PM
The satire is plainly obvious: "For us, inequality is kinda like quantum physics."

Learn how to decipher a joke "culture warriors".

I didn't watch the video, so I had no way of knowing if it was a joke or not, but even if it was serious, I would still treat it as a joke.

amy31416
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM

Hmmm...Slavs aren't white? How about the descendants of Czechoslovakians? I could have some fun with this at the family reunion if that's true.

To the rest of you cracker boys--Apology NOT accepted! I want reparations, then we'll talk.

Henry Rogue
05-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Hmmm...Slavs aren't white? How about the descendants of Czechoslovakians? I could have some fun with this at the family reunion if that's true.

To the rest of you cracker boys--Apology NOT accepted! I want reparations, then we'll talk.
I'll bake you a pie.

satchelmcqueen
05-08-2014, 09:17 PM
funny or not, ive worked for everything i have. i wont apologize for that.

HVACTech
05-08-2014, 09:19 PM

that was not what I wanted to quote. this was.

fuck.

+rep

amy31416
05-08-2014, 09:20 PM
I'll bake you a pie.

Hmm...what kind of pie? Apple and pumpkin are my favorites--I'll provide the ice cream if apple, whipped cream if pumpkin.

See? We ain't asking for much.

Bman
05-08-2014, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry I watched that. Pathetic comes to mind. Oh noes there goes my white privilege sticking it's foot up my arse.

Henry Rogue
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Hmm...what kind of pie? Apple and pumpkin are my favorites--I'll provide the ice cream if apple, whipped cream if pumpkin.

See? We ain't asking for much.Both great choices, lets go with apple. My Mom used to make a pie with wild black raspberries it was so good. All those vines have died off for some reason.

fr33
05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLR25EJtfE

amy31416
05-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Both great choices, lets go with apple. My Mom used to make a pie with wild black raspberries it was so good. All those vines have died off for some reason.

Oh man! Another excuse to use my ice cream maker and buy some real vanilla beans!

We have lots of wild raspberries here, kind of a dark purple-ish black, so long as I'm careful about the poison ivy, they're fantastic! Got a recipe?

heavenlyboy34
05-08-2014, 10:00 PM

I'll let you cook and clean things for me. :) ;)

amy31416
05-08-2014, 10:10 PM
I'll let you cook and clean things for me. :) ;)

You have a good imagination, HB. :)

oyarde
05-09-2014, 12:01 AM

I planted pumpkins last weekend , I eat the blossoms and seeds and sell a few in town, thinking of adding another apple tree next fall or spring , love hard cider., LOL

oyarde
05-09-2014, 12:06 AM
I will say this , while I personally regret a few actions in my life , I owe no apology for any.

Origanalist
05-09-2014, 12:10 AM
I will say this , while I personally regret a few actions in my life , I owe no apology for any.

I have occasionally done a sucky thing or two, but I'm not sorry either.

Spikender
05-09-2014, 12:57 AM
This obvious piece of satire is disgusting to me as it makes light of a legit issue we have in our society:

White men have too much stuff and need to give it up.

I mean... uh... I'm a white man, but I'm excluded from this group because I'm enlightened. Many of my friends are people of color.

Brian4Liberty
05-09-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm feeling the micro-aggression...

amy31416
05-09-2014, 01:25 AM

I have occasionally done a sucky thing or two, but I'm not sorry either.

Really? I can't even imagine that. There are a few people left on my apology list, but I have no idea how to contact them. Then there's a few who really need to apologize to me but, I doubt that'll ever happen.

amy31416
05-09-2014, 01:28 AM

I planted pumpkins last weekend , I eat the blossoms and seeds and sell a few in town, thinking of adding another apple tree next fall or spring , love hard cider., LOL

Never had pumpkin blossoms, how do you cook them? Or are they in salads? I love pumpkin seeds, just a pain hulling them.

Demigod
05-09-2014, 02:58 AM

Demigod
05-09-2014, 03:04 AM

White privilege or white guilt doesn't work with Slavs .Not that Slavic has represented a single nationality for a long time,today it is more of a cultural/linguistic group than a ethnic one.

oyarde
05-09-2014, 06:55 AM
Never had pumpkin blossoms, how do you cook them? Or are they in salads? I love pumpkin seeds, just a pain hulling them.

I slice them once , rinse them , let dry , roll up and batter like a morel mushroom and pan fry them .Tasty .

FloralScent
05-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Mother nature frowns on 'checking your privilege'.

PaulConventionWV
05-10-2014, 07:01 AM

No, they're Slavs.

PaulConventionWV
05-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Who's "we"?