PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Paul Broun stands up for medical marijuana patients

TaftFan
05-08-2014, 02:54 PM
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/05/07/elderly-medical-marijuana-user-facing-prison-joins-congressmen-in-push-to-block-feds

Days before his federal trial begins in Spokane, wheelchair-bound medical marijuana user Larry Harvey, 70, joined members of Congress to support legislation that would block federal law enforcement efforts against people who use pot as medicine.

Marijuana “can be a lifesaving drug,” Rep. Paul Broun, R-Ga., said at a Wednesday press conference near the Capitol, touting states’ rights and the medicinal benefits of cannabis. “Doctors all across the country should be able to prescribe this drug, like any other drug.”

Harvey suffers from knee pain and gout – and to treat himself grew a patch of marijuana on his rural Washington state property. He painted a large white sign with a medical marijuana symbol to mark the garden, which he suspects alerted law enforcement performing flyovers.

Go Paul!

Brett85
05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I wish he would've just kept his house seat, rather than running for Senate. Now he's likely to be out of Congress all together.

GunnyFreedom
05-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Unexpected, but very welcome.

TaftFan
05-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Unexpected, but very welcome.
His first vote in the House was actually about marijuana.

From Reason: "The day he was sworn in, Broun joined just 13 other Republicans (and 150 Democrats) in supporting a bill to call off raids by the Drug Enforcement Administration on medical marijuana distributors. "

NewRightLibertarian
05-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I wish he would've just kept his house seat, rather than running for Senate. Now he's likely to be out of Congress all together.

How so? Isn't there a good chance that he could win?

TaftFan
05-08-2014, 04:16 PM

He was probably the frontrunner at first, but Perdue, Kingston, and Gingrey are dumping millions in TV ads.

Everyone can see Gingrey is a total fake though, and despite all his spending he is doing no better than Broun. Kingston is dropping somewhat because his ads lack substance and seem clownish. At the same time Handel is surging.

At the moment, it's a three way race. That doesn't mean Broun can't make a last minute surge, but it will have to happen fast. I am personally talking to all the people I can about him.

Brett85
05-08-2014, 08:20 PM

No, he's in fourth or fifth place in all the polls. It would take a miracle for him to win.

Miss Annie
05-08-2014, 09:51 PM
No, he's in fourth or fifth place in all the polls. It would take a miracle for him to win.

I don't know...... I am there and everyone I talk to Broun is the man!! And Bravo for him standing up for that because I have a daughter who could benefit from it now. :(

Brett85
05-08-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't know...... I am there and everyone I talk to Broun is the man!! And Bravo for him standing up for that because I have a daughter who could benefit from it now. :(

Yeah, some of these people who call themselves Christian conservatives would probably say that it would somehow be sinful for your daughter to use marijuana for medical reasons. Never mind that the Bible doesn't even say anything at all about the issue.

Miss Annie
05-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah, some of these people who call themselves Christian conservatives would probably say that it would somehow be sinful for your daughter to use marijuana for medical reasons. Never mind that the Bible doesn't even say anything at all about the issue.

Yea...... I don't buy that. It all depends on how it's used. I actually think that marijuana is less of an issue than alcohol. The legalities of those two are reversed. LOL