PDA

View Full Version : No Taxes For Government Employees

guest2897
05-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Came up with an idea a few nights ago that stuck in my head, so I guess I'll share it and see what you guys think.

How about no taxes for government employees.

Prerequisite: Firstl, we would have to cut the government employee salaries by an amount at least equal to the tax dollars saved by not processing or collecting them in the first place.

Pros (imho)

1) Cut the need for IRS employees in half (or so)
2) Cut the need for government accountants down
3) Government employees would have lower salaries (on paper) than their private market counterparts. This would serve as a constant reminder of the shame that they should have each paycheck they receive.
4) Smaller government.

Cons
1) government employees would not have to deal with their (by their, I mean others) money being stolen from them. (of course this is just an illusion for gov employees anyway...)
2) ???

I'm not an accountant or economist by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm sure you might have some more cons to add to the list?

Just a thought.

VIDEODROME
05-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Sure why not.

Danke
05-07-2014, 10:05 PM
The income tax is for government employees and others involved in activities that allows them to receive government privileged incomes.

Root
05-07-2014, 10:05 PM
They already don't pay taxes. They are payed with tax dollars, not earned dollars.

Feeding the Abscess
05-07-2014, 11:36 PM
3) wouldn't be a result of eliminating taxes. Their salaries would remain the same, and their take home pay would increase.

Unregistered
05-08-2014, 08:08 AM
3) wouldn't be a result of eliminating taxes. Their salaries would remain the same, and their take home pay would increase.

I think what he means is that if his plan was put into effect (taxes on govt. employees were removed and salaries were dropped by equivalent) their salaries would be lower ON PAPER even though in actuality the salaries were the same. Assume employees who make 50,000 a year pay 10,000 per year on income. The private school teacher makes 50K per year and has 10K stolen from her ("taxed"). The public school teacher would not be taxed, instead, her salary would be reduced to 40K. I guess what the OP is saying is that this would be a reminder to the public school teacher that he/she is a government leech. I'm not sure how well that would truly work though. This could be an interesting debate.

tod evans
05-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Which specific government employee performs a function that you personally are willing to pay for?

It's my opinion that discussing government employment must come before discussing their compensation...

oyarde
05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Which specific government employee performs a function that you personally are willing to pay for?

It's my opinion that discussing government employment must come before discussing their compensation...

Yeah , my list would be much , much shorter than the current .

acptulsa
05-08-2014, 10:03 AM
One: This would deprive states and localities of revenue. Remember, many states base their income tax on the federal return. Of course, you seem to be applying this to state and local employees too. The various levels of government will never let it come out in the wash, however. Keeping track of how much state employees don't pay Washington and federal employees don't pay the state would probably lead to the creation of a whole new federal department. And maybe fifty new state bureaus as well.

Two: This would encourage Washington to jack up taxes because it's highly unlikely that their pay would get cut accordingly after the fact. So, they'd be immune to further tax hikes. And since lobbyists and bureaucrats write the laws and bureaucrats edit them, and these people make up the echo chamber the Congresscriminals live in...

Three: Much of the tax code is behavior modification. It's all about encouraging having children, encouraging home ownership, encouraging charity, encouraging plunging oneself into debt and paying interest to banksters. Not only would this make these people immune to those few parts of this which are good, but it would give them no reason to think twice before inflicting more behavior modification measures on us at every turn.

In short, it would even further insulate government employees from the hazards of living under this government. Or, in other words, even further move us away from the republic this nation once was and toward tyranny. Isn't it bad enough the Congresscriminals make themselves immune to crap like Obamacare?

Interesting question. Thanks for posting it!

Unregistered
05-08-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm not willing to pay for any of them. But this, like many political solutions, is being proposed as an incremental step. Supposedly (again, I'm not sure if this works) the lower pay on paper (even though the actual amount of cash taken home is the same) would be a shameful aspect of governmental employment which would discourage such employment.

guest2897
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Look forward to more. It just seems inefficient to pay those who collect taxes from those who get paid from taxes (including the collectors). Big recursive tax fest.

..and yes, I did mean to propose this as an improvement that would be hard for all sides to argue with. No net loss of income for those employees, just getting rid of the waste in processing taxes, and a reminder to those who receive income from taxes that they are not really contributing any "taxes" to the system. They are only receiving it.

Ideally, there would be no taxes for anyone. I seriously doubt that is change I will ever witness, so why not make the system more efficient and "transparent" if possible.

guest2897
05-08-2014, 06:12 PM
One: This would deprive states and localities of revenue. Remember, many states base their income tax on the federal return. Of course, you seem to be applying this to state and local employees too. The various levels of government will never let it come out in the wash, however. Keeping track of how much state employees don't pay Washington and federal employees don't pay the state would probably lead to the creation of a whole new federal department. And maybe fifty new state bureaus as well.

Two: This would encourage Washington to jack up taxes because it's highly unlikely that their pay would get cut accordingly after the fact. So, they'd be immune to further tax hikes. And since lobbyists and bureaucrats write the laws and bureaucrats edit them, and these people make up the echo chamber the Congresscriminals live in...

Three: Much of the tax code is behavior modification. It's all about encouraging having children, encouraging home ownership, encouraging charity, encouraging plunging oneself into debt and paying interest to banksters. Not only would this make these people immune to those few parts of this which are good, but it would give them no reason to think twice before inflicting more behavior modification measures on us at every turn.

In short, it would even further insulate government employees from the hazards of living under this government. Or, in other words, even further move us away from the republic this nation once was and toward tyranny. Isn't it bad enough the Congresscriminals make themselves immune to crap like Obamacare?

Interesting question. Thanks for posting it!

I knew someone would have some more cons to add to the list. Thanks :) I'm sure you are right. The Congresscriminals would find a way to twist it to their advantage.... as always.