PDA

View Full Version : Property Rights and Property Taxes—and Countries That Don’t Have Them

nbruno322
05-07-2014, 10:40 AM
"Do you really own something that you are forced to perpetually make payments on and which can be seized from you if you don’t pay?

I would say that you don’t.

You would possess such an item, but you wouldn’t own it—an important distinction"

http://www.internationalman.com/articles/property-rights-and-property-taxesand-countries-that-dont-have-them

ZENemy
05-07-2014, 11:02 AM
When my dad explained home ownership to me; I was about 12, once he got to the part to where you still had to pay fees AFTER the loan was satisfied I lost ALL interest in buying a house.

It was nothing but a good thing though, about 5 of my friends lost their houses since 2008, glad I dodged that bullet.

Ender
05-07-2014, 11:40 AM
When my dad explained home ownership to me; I was about 12, once he got to the part to where you still had to pay fees AFTER the loan was satisfied I lost ALL interest in buying a house.

It was nothing but a good thing though, about 5 of my friends lost their houses since 2008, glad I dodged that bullet.

Exactly.

My grandmother always says: Just stop paying your taxes and the real owner will show up. ;)

ZENemy
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Exactly.

My grandmother always says: Just stop paying your taxes and the real owner will show up. ;)

That is a great quote! adding it to my bank of cool quotes! heh

PRB
05-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Of all those countries, which ones have higher standard of living than here?

Hong Kong maybe, but barely.

nbruno322
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Monaco and Liechtenstein too

nbruno322
05-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Oh and Hong Kong DEFINITELY has a higher standard of living than the US.

PRB
05-07-2014, 02:25 PM

totally!
http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/04_crime_matters/drug/law_pen.html

NorfolkPCSolutions
05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
totally!
http://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/04_crime_matters/drug/law_pen.html

Wow.

Chinese weed must be the shit. :-)

eduardo89
05-07-2014, 03:11 PM

I disagree. Hong Kong has a much higher cost of living than the US for a comparable standard of living.

PRB
05-07-2014, 03:35 PM
I disagree. Hong Kong has a much higher cost of living than the US for a comparable standard of living.

Higher population density, lower car ownership, higher scrutiny for drunk driving. Yeah, that's totally a higher standard of living.

ZENemy
05-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Higher population density, lower car ownership, higher scrutiny for drunk driving. Yeah, that's totally a higher standard of living.

Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries. I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status. Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations. Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.

PRB
05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries.

Indeed.

I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status.

It's not for me, having lived in different Asian countries. But yes, it's typical for Americans to not understand it.

Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations.

Indeed

Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.

So you conveniently ignore the part where there's more government. What about people who enjoy more government?

BamaAla
05-07-2014, 04:42 PM

What are you getting at? If we want a high standard of living, we have to pay property taxes?

I'd like to have the dough to live in Monaco!

PRB
05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
What are you getting at? If we want a high standard of living, we have to pay property taxes?

I'd like to have the dough to live in Monaco!

High standard of living is typically more expensive, with exceptions.

What I am getting at is, if you think you're willing to avoid property tax that you'll move to a country that doesn't have it, go for it.

PRB
05-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Your opinion on what is a high standard of living may be different then those in other countries. I'm sure this is hard for many to understand but there is an entire world out there outside the USA and owning a car is not always a symbol of status. Some people enjoy living in big cities with big populations. Many of my friends would never leave SF because they love the "people everywhere" feeling.
http://www.viralsoma.com/over-100000-people-found-living-for-decades-inside-horrifying-ldquocaged-cityrdquo.html

Keith and stuff
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM

I don't see how anyone could pay property taxes in Hong Kong, anyway.

Keith and stuff
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
"Do you really own something that you are forced to perpetually make payments on and which can be seized from you if you don’t pay?

The article doesn't mention that there are places in New Hampshire and Alaska without property taxes. Or personal income taxes. Or general sales taxes...