PDA

View Full Version : Pastor DUI Crashes Motorcycle with His 8 Year Old On Board

dannno
05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
8 year old came out of it ok, father has some fairly serious facial injuries but should be ok. They were out on a woodsy, windy road.

http://www.independent.com/news/2014/may/06/motorcycle-accident-results-dui-arrest-boy-passeng/

Motorcycle Accident Results in DUI Arrest; Boy Passenger Injured
Tuesday, May 6, 2014
By Kelsey Brugger

Gerald Torres, 43, of Santa Barbara was arrested for DUI Saturday afternoon after he went off the road and crashed his 1998 Yamaha motorcycle into a traffic sign and fence while traveling westbound on Casitas Pass Road. Torres and his 8-year-old son were ejected from the motorcycle. Torres, who was wearing an open-face helmet, suffered major head injuries and lacerations, according to a press release from California Highway Patrol. The 8-year-old boy, who was wearing a full-face helmet, sustained minor abrasions to his right leg and was released to a family member at the scene. Torres, who is a pastor at Reality, a Christian ministry based in Carpinteria, was admitted to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital on Saturday.

Pastor Tyler Morgan of Reality submitted a statement about the incident. It appears below:

Saturday afternoon May 3, Pastor Gerald Torres and his son were in a motorcycle accident. Pastor Torres’s son was not injured other than a scraped shin. Pastor Torres has severe lacerations to his face, a broken nose, hand, and ribs. He underwent surgery Sunday morning.

We are thankful for the sparing of Pastor Torres’s life, that he will recover from his injuries, and that his son did not suffer any significant harm.

Sadly, Pastor Torres had consumed alcohol and is currently being investigated by law enforcement for driving under the influence.

This is out of character for Pastor Torres, and it is not something that would be expected of him. It was a terrible mistake, and it is sin on his part. Pastor Torres is deeply broken and repentant because of his actions.

We acknowledge that our church wrestles with sin and failure. Gladly, we also experience forgiveness and restoration. This is the joy of the gospel of Jesus Christ, that we have all sinned greatly and that we have been forgiven because Jesus paid the price for our sins on the cross and we are restored to relationship with God.

So many have been deeply ministered to by Pastor Torres. His failure does not undo the positive influence he has had in many lives, in our church, and in our community.

Pastor Torres has always pointed us to the grace of God, where we find forgiveness and help in our time of need. Now it is our opportunity to surround him as a community, extend grace, and point him and his family to the grace of God. Gerald and his family need to know that we love them deeply and are determined to walk through this with them.

While there is forgiveness and restoration, there are consequences to Pastor Torres’s action. The elders have put Pastor Torres on leave for an undetermined period of time, and he agrees wholeheartedly with this decision.

We love Pastor Torres and his family. We are praying for them and are committed to their healing and well-being.

ZENemy
05-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Sadly, Pastor Torres had consumed alcohol

Poor guy probably had a glass of wine 10 hours before but told the police officer to be the good guy.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Poor guy probably had a glass of wine 10 hours before but told the police officer to be the good guy.

Yeah, I see nothing in there about alcohol actually contributing to the wreck.

Ah well, Romans 13.

I'm sure the eight year old won't mind seeing his dad for the next few years.

PRB
05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I see nothing in there about alcohol actually contributing to the wreck.

Ah well, Romans 13.

I'm sure the eight year old won't mind seeing his dad for the next few years.

and you won't, because alcohol never contributes to a wreck

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 08:13 PM
That's the penalty for driving on the roads that THEYE built with YOUR income.

Nirvikalpa
05-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Facial lacerations. Ouch. Open-face helmet. Ouch.

Ow.

dannno
05-06-2014, 08:24 PM

It so happens that there was a huge scandal a few years ago here where an officer got caught falsifying BAC readings.....LOTS of them.

pcosmar
05-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Facial lacerations. Ouch. Open-face helmet. Ouch.

Ow.

Better than a broken neck from a full face helmet. :(

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 08:29 PM
It so happens that there was a huge scandal a few years ago here where an officer got caught falsifying BAC readings.....LOTS of them.

CA? Would that be the infamous Kasi Beutel?

http://peterlance.com/wordpress/?p=1210

Danke
05-06-2014, 08:31 PM

Best troll ever.

dannno
05-06-2014, 08:36 PM
CA? Would that be the infamous Kasi Beutel?

http://peterlance.com/wordpress/?p=1210

Ya that's her.

FindLiberty
05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
I bet that wiped the smile right off his face, and then the bugs flew out from in between his broken teeth.

Origanalist
05-07-2014, 04:04 AM

But it has contributed to a lot of white people thinking they can dance.

Origanalist
05-07-2014, 04:07 AM
It's entirely possible the man intentionally took the brunt of the impact to protect his kid.

tod evans
05-07-2014, 04:47 AM

Propagandizers gonna propaganda...

And while I'm at it..........Fuck helmet laws too!

PRB
05-07-2014, 12:08 PM
But it has contributed to a lot of white people thinking they can dance.

that's not a crime, so I don't mind blaming that on it.

PRB
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Propagandizers gonna propaganda...

And while I'm at it..........Fuck helmet laws too!

and speed limits, in fact, all laws regarding roads and travel, I mean, all laws.

tod evans
05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
and speed limits, in fact, all laws regarding roads and travel, I mean, all laws.

Laws or regulations that control how a vehicle is permitted to behave in relation to the road and other vehicles on that road actually make sense...

Laws and regulations that curtail human behavior do not.

If ol' Billy-Bob can drive his car or motorcycle upside down and drunk without deviating from the rules of the road then let him!

If Suzi Q. doesn't want to wear state approved safety devices and can pilot her vehicle without deviating from the rules of the road then let her..

Hell I could even support enhanced punishment if upside down driving, booze or lack of safety attire caused an accident, but the burden of proof would be on the state to show that one of these factors caused, not contributed to, the accident...

What we have now is blanket laws that permit abuse by cops and that doesn't work for me.

Sanctioning or punishing citizens for what might possibly happen is pretty foolish...

ZENemy
05-07-2014, 12:27 PM

IM SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!

:D

PRB
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Laws or regulations that control how a vehicle is permitted to behave in relation to the road and other vehicles on that road actually make sense...

And none of them do.

Laws and regulations that curtail human behavior do not.

Which is every law, by definition.

If ol' Billy-Bob can drive his car or motorcycle upside down and drunk without deviating from the rules of the road then let him!

If Suzi Q. doesn't want to wear state approved safety devices and can pilot her vehicle without deviating from the rules of the road then let her..

What are the rules of the road?

Hell I could even support enhanced punishment if upside down driving, booze or lack of safety attire caused an accident, but the burden of proof would be on the state to show that one of these factors caused, not contributed to, the accident...

Caused and contributed are the same thing, in this case, irrelevant, because it never happens.

What we have now is blanket laws that permit abuse by cops and that doesn't work for me.

Sanctioning or punishing citizens for what might possibly happen is pretty foolish...

Agreed. Which is why we should allow target practice anywhere, anytime, regardless of whether a person has firearm safety training, regardless of whether there are children or elderly or disabled people around, regardless of anybody surrounding consented to the risk or have advance knowledge of it (they should know that stepping outside their castle of their house makes them fair game for all risks, the Constitution doesn't protect their right to be safe), unless and until somebody is injured. Statistics and probability is for Fascists, a freedom loving people will take any chance and only punish people when somebody is actually hurt or when property is actually damaged.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Statistics and probability is for Fascists, a freedom loving people will take any chance and only punish people when somebody is actually hurt or when property is actually damaged.

Eh, it's more like statistics and remote possibilities are for pantywaists, the ones who want to eliminate every possible risk and hazard in life.