PDA

View Full Version : She looked worriedly over my shoulder and said, “ATF. They’re here.”

Wolfgang Bohringer
05-06-2014, 09:42 AM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/the-police-state-sucks-the-fun-out-of-nawlins-jazz-fest/

The Police State Sucks the Fun Out of Nawlins’ Jazz Fest
Becky Akers

Tom Kowitz of Baldy and the Blonde writes me:

New Orleans Jazz Fest was spectacular this year. Springsteen was here, and Clapton, Santana, John Fogerty, Johnny Winter, and, of course, bureaucrats of the feral government.

On Sunday while at the Fogerty concert, I tried to buy two beers at a tent sent up by a local Kiwanis Club, but I was turned down because I didn’t have my leviathan-issued ID. I’m 53, but at that time on that day, I probably looked about 18. In dog years. I removed my hat and sunglasses, revealing alarmingly little hair and numerous wrinkles, but that did no good.

“I can’t sell to you if you don’t have ID.”

“I never carry my ID.”

“Then I can’t sell to you.”

“Per whose rules? Your club’s?”

“ATF.”

“Well, that’s ridiculous.”

And at this point, I swear, she looked worriedly over my shoulder and said, “ATF. They’re here.”

I’m not making this up.

I said, “The best thing to do with stupid rules is break them. We have to stand up to these people and break their stupid rules.”

“Sorry.”

And that was that.

9:32 am on May 6, 2014 Email Becky Akers

kahless
05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Good thing she does not live in NY. I am in my mid-40s and cannot buy beer at the supermarkets without taking out my license and having it scanned. I also had to have my license scanned in order to enter a bar-club, last time I go there.

KCIndy
05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Could be worse... at least for one's ego...

A year or so back I was buying beer in a local grocery. I asked the young checkout girl if she needed to see my ID. (The store's posted policy was to "card anyone who looked younger than 40" according to the sign.) She shook her head, looked at me and - I swear this is true - said, "We don't need to card you, you're an old bald guy!"

She got this stricken look on her face, then turned to the cashier next to her and started giggling like mad.

I just paid, took my beer, and left. :( *sigh*

amy31416
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM

A year or so back I was buying beer in a local grocery. I asked the young checkout girl if she needed to see my ID. (The store's posted policy was to "card anyone who looked younger than 40" according to the sign.) She shook her head, looked at me and - I swear this is true - said, "We don't need to card you, you're an old bald guy!"

She got this stricken look on her face, then turned to the cashier next to her and started giggling like mad.

You were totally asking for it, my friend. Bet ya never made that mistake again!

Philhelm
05-06-2014, 01:22 PM

She was flirting with you.

acptulsa
05-06-2014, 01:31 PM
So all that time my eighteen year old friends were getting my nineteen year old self to do the liquor purchases because I was just 'grandfathered in' when the feds forced the age back up to 21, all they really had to do was shave their eighteen year old heads?

kahless
05-06-2014, 01:32 PM

ouch. Little do they realize it will be far worse for them when they get to our age.

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 01:34 PM
She was flirting with you.

That's what it sounds like to me. Any time they giggle it's just repressed sexuality coming out as nervousness. You should totally hook up. :p

As far as the story goes..well..we live in a police state. What ya gonna do? I haven't been to the local beerfest for ages because of these "laws" and police presence. Cheaper and safer to drink at home.

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
So all that time my eighteen year old friends were getting my nineteen year old self to do the liquor purchases because I was just 'grandfathered in' when the feds forced the age back up to 21, all they really had to do was shave their eighteen year old heads?

You too? 3 months out of the year I wasn't legal. 9 months good to go. I just magically became too irresponsible to drink.

acptulsa
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
You too? 3 months out of the year I wasn't legal. 9 months good to go. I just magically became too irresponsible to drink.

You weren't raised in Oklahoma. They didn't give us the carrot and then snatch it out of our mouths a few months later; they inserted a 'grandfather clause'. Guess they decided a few too many of us had gotten rifles for our fifteenth birthdays.

eduardo89
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM

That should teach you not to hit on teenage girls!

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 01:42 PM
You weren't raised in Oklahoma. They didn't give us the carrot and then snatch it out of our mouths a few months later; they inserted a 'grandfather clause'. Guess they decided a few too many of us had gotten rifles for our fifteenth birthdays.

Meh, by that time I was in the Navy and drinking overseas and on bases. Just got caught up in it one time while on leave. Just stoopid shit.

kahless
05-06-2014, 01:44 PM

I remember those days. I was legal for awhile and then for a few months illegal again. I remember trying to get into a club with my girlfriend and her friends, all 2 years younger than me. They all got in without a check but I who was once legal and now only a few months away from being legal again, no way.

acptulsa
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Just stoopid shit.

Yeah, I caught on to the fact that you were talking about one size fits all laws right from the start.

Just love how this one, and the 'double nickel unconstitutional national speed limit', and countless other laws have been justified by the fact that the traffic death rate dropped the year they passed--conveniently ignoring the fact that the traffic death rate per vehicle mile has dropped every single year since they first began calculating it, including the years that some of this crap was repealed.

I remember those days. I was legal for awhile and then for a few months illegal again. I remember trying to get into a club with my girlfriend and her friends, all 2 years younger than me. They all got in without a check but I who was once legal and now only a few months away from being legal again, no way.

Not that you can ever convince a pretty girl to 'check her privilege'...

Anti Federalist
05-06-2014, 01:59 PM
As far as the story goes..well..we live in a police state. What ya gonna do? I haven't been to the local beerfest for ages because of these "laws" and police presence. Cheaper and safer to drink at home.

Police state gonna police.

And I'm glad I don't have girls giggling at me.

In that age group, I do not exist.

phill4paul
05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
In that age group, I do not exist.

Le sigh. Such is life with me. On the plus side after the spring beard,hair shave everyone in my age bracket says I look 10 years younger. I thought "Great, now I only look 40." Lol.

Anti Federalist
05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Le sigh. Such is life with me. On the plus side after the spring beard,hair shave everyone in my age bracket says I look 10 years younger. I thought "Great, now I only look 40." Lol.

Yeah, it's weird, they look right through you.

Not that I'm concerned, or even care, I was never anything close to "dreamy" in my best days.

Frankly, I'm glad I'm not a young man out there right now.

From what I see, way too many 18-25 year olds are just trash these days.

WM_in_MO
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Not that I'm concerned, or even care, I was never anything close to "dreamy" in my best days.

I'm 29 and feel the same way.

mad cow
05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Farm Fresh supermarkets give 5% discount to senior citizens on Tuesdays and Thursdays,the only days I will go,and I don't even get carded there.
In fact,I always ask the cashier did I get my old peoples discount and 19 times out of 20 they'll say Already got you covered,Pops.

eduardo89
05-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Y

Ageist.

cajuncocoa
05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Yeah, they asked me for my ID when I went Saturday. I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or LMAO.

Philhelm
05-06-2014, 02:39 PM

I think you're dreamy...

Anti Federalist
05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I think you're dreamy...

That made me crack up.

Spikender
05-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Oooooo, the ATF!

Boogity Boogity Boo!

Give me a break.

acptulsa
05-06-2014, 11:25 PM
Oooooo, the ATF!

Boogity Boogity Boo!

Give me a break.

They're better armed than you are. Possibly because they stole some guns from you; and no, they don't mind shooting you with your own guns.

And they won't be giving you a break, either.

Spikender
05-06-2014, 11:28 PM
They're better armed than you are. Possibly because they stole some guns from you; and no, they don't mind shooting you with your own guns.

And they won't be giving you a break, either.

Oh poo, I was hoping for a break of that Kit Kat bar, but I guess that's out of the question too.

Mani
05-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Oooooo, the ATF!

Boogity Boogity Boo!

Give me a break.

REPORTED.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-06-2014, 11:48 PM
“ATF. They’re here.”

Beer did this to itself.

ghengis86
05-07-2014, 05:29 AM
Oooooo, the ATF!

Boogity Boogity Boo!

Give me a break.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder

(That's a clinical diagnosis now, FYI)

Also, reported

olehounddog
05-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Meh, by that time I was in the Navy and drinking overseas and on bases. Just got caught up in it one time while on leave. Just stoopid shit.

1977 On my way to Schoffield Barracks I was asked to leave a bar in San Fransisco because I was too young. I was dressed in Khaki's. Pulled 3 yrs US Infantry. When I got back home I still could not legally go to the liquor store for 2 months.