PDA

View Full Version : Charge: Alaska man, 19, shot troopers from behind

RonPaulFanInGA
05-04-2014, 01:16 PM
http://www.adn.com/2014/05/01/3451460/2-alaska-state-troopers-killed.html

As two state troopers struggled to arrest his father, a 19-year-old man armed himself with an assault rifle and shot them seven times, killing them outside his home in a remote Alaska village, authorities said in charges filed Saturday.

FloralScent
05-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm sure the press was hoping this would be the act of their favorite boogeyman, the rabid, right-wing terrorist A.K.A. 'whitey', but it's just some native kid. They did manage to slip "assault rifle" into the story so it wasn't a complete waste of a tragedy.

Barrex
05-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Because:

to arrest Kangas' 58-year-old father, Arvin, on charges of driving without a license and threatening the village's unarmed public safety officer, Mark Haglin.Haglin had received reports that the elder Kangas was driving around the village, even though he doesn't have a valid driver's license. After Haglin approached Arvin Kangas at his home, the elder Kangas pointed to a rifle and suggested he would use it if Haglin did not leave, according to the charging document.

RJB
05-04-2014, 02:31 PM
In that part of Alaska, I'm wondering if the kid has a good chance of succeeding with jury nullification. Most people go there to get away from authority, and the natives never liked it to begin with.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Because:

Because: non compliant permission slip.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2014, 02:36 PM
In that part of Alaska, I'm wondering if the kid has a good chance of succeeding with jury nullification. Most people go there to get away from authority, and the natives never liked it to begin with.

I can only imagine the hell the state cops would rain down on that village if that were to happen.

RJB
05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I can only imagine the hell the state cops would rain down on that village if that were to happen.
Maybe they'll pull a Bundy, Alaska style. I knew an old guy who lived deep up there who told me IRS agents went missing a lot. Alaskans don't mess around.

mrsat_98
05-04-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm sure the press was hoping this would be the act of their favorite boogeyman, the rabid, right-wing terrorist A.K.A. 'whitey', but it's just some native kid. They did manage to slip "assault rifle" into the story so it wasn't a complete waste of a tragedy.

It was over a driver's license issue. He was a right wing nut for sure.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
It was over a driver's license issue. He was a right wing nut for sure.

That, and flashing the gun and threatening an unarmed "public safety officer".

It would be really bad though, if it was just about driving without a driver's license. How many illegal immigrants do that in this country every day, and they're going to send two officers to go harass one man in rural Alaska over it?

Origanalist
05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Haglin had received reports that the elder Kangas was driving around the village, even though he doesn't have a valid driver's license.

Because if you don't have a drivers license in a village of two hundred and fifty people 130 miles west of Fairbanks......anarchy.

Tod
05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Maybe they'll pull a Bundy, Alaska style. I knew an old guy who lived deep up there who told me IRS agents went missing a lot. Alaskans don't mess around.

They missed their chance.....the kid is already in captivity in Fairbanks now.

05-04-2014, 05:31 PM

No chance. The rest of the village helped detain the kid who shot the troopers.

The father was driving around without a license and threatened to shoot the village safety officer. Safety officer called the troopers. The troopers came with a lawful warrant for the the father just doing their job, no abuse or power trip of any sort and the kid got all worked up and shot the troopers.

It's an open and shut case the kid has already apologized and apparently accepted blame.

Tod
05-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Because if you don't have a drivers license in a village of two hundred and fifty people 130 miles west of Fairbanks......anarchy.

Not only is it a tiny village, they don't have any roads that go anywhere other than around the village. (I wonder how they got cars there in the first place?)

05-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Not only is it a tiny village, they don't have any roads that go anywhere other than around the village. (I wonder how they got cars there in the first place?)

Barge up the river.

05-04-2014, 05:37 PM

We have islands here in Maine where cars don't need license plates, but I think you still need a license. It's not really enforced unless you cause a problem.

Alaskan native village, my guess is the father lost a license due to alcohol and/or was driving around drunk. Nobody really cares much in places like this what others do as long as it doesn't effect them.

FloralScent
05-04-2014, 05:50 PM
Apparently, they are anti-goverment, and separatists.

Arvin and this group of guys are kind of a little radical, anti-government and that kind of stuff,” she said. “Whatever it is, it’s unfortunate.” (http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/shooting-suspect-ticking-bomb-ready-to-go-off-says-resident/25787722)Cruger, the Tanana Commercial Store manager, said the younger Kangas was “brainwashed.” (http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/shooting-suspect-ticking-bomb-ready-to-go-off-says-resident/25787722)

“There’s this Athabascan Nation Group, this radical group, so the son had to listen to this day in and day out,” Cruger said. (http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/shooting-suspect-ticking-bomb-ready-to-go-off-says-resident/25787722)