PDA

View Full Version : Cop gets 30 days in jail for framing wife on Drug charges

aGameOfThrones
05-03-2014, 01:54 AM
The ex-wife of a disgraced Texas police officer who has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and five years probation for framing her on drug charges said today she is glad the "nightmare" is over but said, "I will always be looking over my shoulder."

"If anyone would have ever told me I would have drugs planted on me by my ex-husband, another police officer and a local criminal, I would have never believed them," Laura Covington told ABC News today.

Her former husband, Madisonville police Sgt. Jeffrey Covington, was convicted last week of retaliation for planting methamphetamines in Laura Covington's car in 2011 during a child custody battle. The drugs were found after she was stopped by police and she was promptly jailed.

The terms of Jeffrey Covington's sentencing, which occurred Monday, include 30 days in jail, five years probation, and the surrender of his peace officer's license, according to ABC News affiliate KTRK TV.

The court determined that Jeffrey Covington and a second police officer arranged with a third person to plant drugs in Laura Covington's vehicle. She was seven months pregnant when she was arrested and her two children were taken away from her for five weeks.

"Being arrested when I was seven months pregnant, going to jail, and then having my two young children taken from me was a nightmare that still causes me pain to this day," she told ABC News. "It's like a bad dream, but the sad thing is that it's not a dream because it actually happened."

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/mom-looking-over-shoulder-cop-husband-convicted-framing-232339102--abc-news-topstories.html

luctor-et-emergo
05-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Uuh, 30 days ?! For being a corrupt retaliatory prick. Not just that.... She was pregnant. Unbelievable.

tod evans
05-03-2014, 04:47 AM
This wouldn't have been possible without the war on drugs....

donnay
05-03-2014, 07:02 AM
Thirty days? Tod's right this would not be possible without the drug war.

phill4paul
05-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Not intentionally malevolent.

RJB
05-03-2014, 07:22 AM
I wonder how she proved it or who she was friends with who pulled the strings. The word of the officer is usually believed over even video evidence.

Either way I'm glad she was cleared.

30 days in jail for attempting to ruin someone's life!? Really the only time I think the death penalty should be considered is for public officials who use their power to ruin the lives of others.

tod evans
05-03-2014, 07:25 AM
I wonder how she proved it or who she was friends with who pulled the strings. The word of the officer is usually believed over even video evidence.

Either way I'm glad she was cleared.

30 days in jail for attempting to ruin someone's life!? Really the only time I think the death penalty should be considered is for public officials who use their power to ruin the lives of others.

She simply made herself more valuable to the prosecutor.........

However she went about it?