PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Locks Sold, TSA having the Master key

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
I travel fairly frequently but just recently found this out. There are locks sold by companies that have collaborated with the TSA to make them universally accessible by 'security agents.' (the quotes just denoting the fact that that is hardly what they are)

From tsa.---,

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

Not sure where to get a compatible lock? Try these websites:

What's more interesting and is what I saw today was the company logo.

http://i.imgur.com/hPNLBWv.jpg?1

Yes, to keep the torch of liberty burning bright a company has been established to provide the particularly toward bottom of the barrel swine with the means to flaunt the Fourth Amendment and violate your property.

Carson
05-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Not really surprising considering they have unlimited funds to lobby for this sort of thing.

kcchiefs6465
05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Not really surprising considering they have unlimited funds to lobby for this sort of thing.
If I get particularly ambitious I'll look into the company and try to come up with a figure they were given.

No doubt tallied as "jobs created"... what a fucking joke.

HOLLYWOOD
05-02-2014, 10:13 PM
3 Things government is good at; Lying, Stealing, and Killing

.gov never seems to fail those.

Carson
05-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post

If I get particularly ambitious I'll look into the company and try to come up with a figure they were given.

No doubt tallied as "jobs created"... what a fucking joke.

I was thinking along the lines that the government can print up whatever it wants to see things like this come about.

They sure had the money flying back and forth with Solyndra. Both parties were counterfeiting up money we didn't have to stoke their fires and Solyndra was shoveling it back to both parties as political contributions. I bet this is the same sort of circle jerk. Either that or coercion. They can fire up the fake money presses and print up what ever it takes to get their way...

and stiff us with the bill.

It might be interesting if you found something.

P.S. And then before it had all blown over the same group moved on after the bankruptcy, only this time was going from buying property and building from the ground up on what I assume would be the same sort of solar scam, but on a grander scale. I see nothing that would stop them.

Lindsey
05-03-2014, 02:16 AM
I try not to take anything more than can fit in a carry on. The last time I checked baggage, TSA ruined the contents. There was some sort of oily residue on my stuff when I got the bag back, and a note that it had been inspected by TSA.

dntrpltt
05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
The TSA locks are designed for the TSA to gain access, yes. But if you use a regular lock, they're just going to take out the bolt cutters and gain access anyway (plus you can't get reimbursed for the broken lock). You are better off either carrying everything on the plane, or only checking things that you wouldn't be too upset with losing.

Last time I checked something it was a bag of literature after CPAC. When I arrived at my destination, it was taped up with TSA tape and had a card inside saying it had been inspected. I can only hope they read some of the contents. :D

kcchiefs6465
05-04-2014, 12:02 AM
The TSA locks are designed for the TSA to gain access, yes. But if you use a regular lock, they're just going to take out the bolt cutters and gain access anyway (plus you can't get reimbursed for the broken lock). You are better off either carrying everything on the plane, or only checking things that you wouldn't be too upset with losing.

Last time I checked something it was a bag of literature after CPAC. When I arrived at my destination, it was taped up with TSA tape and had a card inside saying it had been inspected. I can only hope they read some of the contents. :D
I was just amazed there was such a thing. It doesn't surprise me now that I think about it.

Picking winners and losers by their often times senseless mandates.

I'm sure someone, either a no bid or given details of the contract, became very wealthy as a result.

oyarde
05-04-2014, 04:31 AM
I never lock my checked bag and under ordinary circumstances try to put nothing of real value in it. I always assumed the would go through it. What I have done , if it is something important is just send the package to my next destination before travel .

jclay2
05-04-2014, 10:46 AM
So would it be bad to get some sort of magnet/sticker on your bag that basically says "F*** the TSA!"? Or would this just guarantee that all your stuff would get stolen?

Dr.3D
05-04-2014, 11:04 AM
How long before the black market starts selling copies of the master key?

Seems if you want security now, the best way is to just put tape seal on your baggage so you can tell if it's been opened.