PDA

View Full Version : Game Studio Fires Employee For Making Liberty Comment About Sterling Controversy

AuH20
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/02/Video-Game-Company-Fires-Worker

Josh Olin, the community manager at Turtle Rock, tweeted from his private account: "Here's an unpopular opinion: Donald Sterling has the right as an American to be an old bigot in the security of his own home. He's a victim." The NBA banned Sterling for life after the media broadcast recordings of private phone conversations containing racist remarks by the billionaire.

Management quickly fired Olin without discussing the matter with him. "The comments made by our former community manager stand in stark contrast to our values as a game development studio," the company's official account tweeted. "We sincerely apologize for his remarks and in no way endorse or support those views."

2young2vote
05-02-2014, 06:45 PM
They don't support the right for someone to be a bigot in their own home? So do they want Sterling punished, legally?

AuH20
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM
They don't support the right for someone to be a bigot in their own home? So do they want Sterling punished, legally?

Yup. This is full fledged fascism. We have businesses adopting the social conditioning methods of the federal government due to fear of reprisal. With that said, Turtle Rock Studios is well within it's rights to fire it's community manager for so-called "inappropriate" comments, but it's just a cowardly act.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Yup. This is full fledged fascism. We have businesses adopting the social conditioning methods of the federal government due to fear of reprisal. With that said, Turtle Rock Studios is well within it's rights to fire it's community manager for so-called "inappropriate" comments, but it's just a cowardly act.

Shitty game studio anyway

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-02-2014, 06:59 PM
A big factor in why I work for myself now.

Inkblots
05-02-2014, 07:03 PM
He was a "community manager", a public-facing position in the company. They probably didn't want to deal with the fall-out of the typical SJW types claiming their PR guy was a racist who supports bigotry, etc., etc. I don't agree it was a fair decision, but I certainly understand why Turtle Rock acted as they did.

Of course, whether it was "fair" or not is a moot point. Mr. Olin was an at-will employee, and Turtle Rock has the absolute right to dismiss him for any reason at all (short of sex, race or disability -- a restriction which, I'd point out, a consistent advocate of liberty will wish to see abolished). His employers took what action they thought necessary to maximize investor value, and that's all we need to know about it.

jclay2
05-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Hopefully, this will end up as a blessing in disguise for the former employee. That company sounds like it is full of a bunch of pr collectivists.

Antischism
05-02-2014, 07:19 PM
And the NBA is supposed to do what when their largest sponsors were dropping out and players/fans were looking to boycott? The NBA has a constitution which states they are allowed to punish owners for “conduct prejudicial or detrimental” to the league. Adam Silver, the league's commissioner, has that power and Sterling agreed to those terms upon signing. How is this a liberty message? Isn't the liberty message that people can be banned/fired for violating a contract without the federal government stepping in and interfering?

Inkblots already pointed out why/how it's fine for that community manager to have been fired. Just because you don't like the reason for the firing doesn't mean it's somehow anti-liberty. You either support the right of private companies to fire employees for any specific or non-specific reason, or you don't. If his comments weren't going to be detrimental to the public perception of the company, he most likely would not have been fired. Since it will be, and because his job is very easily replaced, it was much easier to simply let him go and avoid that open can of worms. That's simply the reality of it. Public perception is one of the most important things any company will want to avoid tarnishing. If an employee makes statements that will cause the company to lose customers/business, you can bet your ass they will be looking to fire that person.

As an example, I think it's been stated that Sterling was long known to have been a racist by those on the inside/closer to him, but seeing as there wasn't any public evidence or knowledge, it had no effect on the NBA as a business or public perception, thus no action had been taken against him. However, that all changed. It's now very much public knowledge and like I previously stated, fans and players were seeking to boycott and huge sponsors of the NBA were ditching their contracts.

The biggest takeaway here is if you're a piece of shit bigot/racist, you'd do well to keep your views to yourself or watch who you befriend/where you say it, because it can come back to bite you in the ass, especially when you're an owner in a league that's majority black, the race you decided to denigrate.

HVACTech
05-02-2014, 07:26 PM
He was a "community manager", a public-facing position in the company. They probably didn't want to deal with the fall-out of the typical SJW types claiming their PR guy was a racist who supports bigotry, etc., etc. I don't agree it was a fair decision, but I certainly understand why Turtle Rock acted as they did.

Of course, whether it was "fair" or not is a moot point. Mr. Olin was an at-will employee, and Turtle Rock has the absolute right to dismiss him for any reason at all (short of sex, race or disability -- a restriction which, I'd point out, a consistent advocate of liberty will wish to see abolished). His employers took what action they thought necessary to maximize investor value, and that's all we need to know about it.

inkblots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd2B6SjMh_w

jkr
05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Shitty game studio anyway

that

Voluntarist
05-02-2014, 07:28 PM
xxxxx

Inkblots
05-02-2014, 07:29 PM
I had to look up what a "community manager (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_community_manager)" was.

It strikes me as a role that most companies would fill with someone as blasé and non-controversial as possible.

Exactly the point I was driving at. If you want to have a career in PR, you'll do well to avoid expressing controversial views under your own name.

Voluntarist
05-02-2014, 07:34 PM
xxxxx

twomp
05-02-2014, 07:47 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10250251_614151312003327_7780313981161195856_n.jpg

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-02-2014, 07:52 PM
These companies can do as they like, but I really have to wonder if it affects very many of them in the long run.

These pop stories always become laughable to the Nth degree. Wasn't it the case that Cracker Barrel did a 180 turn about the comments of some pithy entertainer awhile back? I never looked into this. Maybe it was planned. Whatever. There are plenty of companies however, whose reaction depends on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Anybody ever sit in meetings when discussing these sensitive issues? Most of the employees suddenly become worthless and weak, turning towards one another to see who possesses any kind of compass at all.

I'd bet most of these things don't even matter in the long run because people often have short memories. That video company could have probably shown a backbone and would have been no worse for wear in the long run. Instead, they chose to be spineless in the moment. They are managed by weaklings.

Philhelm
05-02-2014, 07:58 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10250251_614151312003327_7780313981161195856_n.jpg

It needs a third photo with Biden that states, "Makes racist comments becomes Vice President."

angelatc
05-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Bill Maher said about the same thing...that it's getting really weird when you can't even speak freely even in your own home.

Mark Cuban said that the league constitution did not allow for the removal of an owner for any reason except gambling, and although he disagreed with everything Sterling said, he felt the league's decision could be a very slippery slope. But he backed away from that later on Twitter, with a statement that he 100% supported the commissioner's decision.

Antischism
05-02-2014, 08:05 PM
constipatedalsharpton.jpg

What has Al Sharpton said recently that would cause a backlash against him and ruin the public perception of his employer?

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Al Sharpton used to work as an FBI informant putting black people in jail.

Feeding the Abscess
05-02-2014, 08:41 PM
And the NBA is supposed to do what when their largest sponsors were dropping out and players/fans were looking to boycott? The NBA has a constitution which states they are allowed to punish owners for “conduct prejudicial or detrimental” to the league. Adam Silver, the league's commissioner, has that power and Sterling agreed to those terms upon signing. How is this a liberty message? Isn't the liberty message that people can be banned/fired for violating a contract without the federal government stepping in and interfering?

Inkblots already pointed out why/how it's fine for that community manager to have been fired. Just because you don't like the reason for the firing doesn't mean it's somehow anti-liberty. You either support the right of private companies to fire employees for any specific or non-specific reason, or you don't. If his comments weren't going to be detrimental to the public perception of the company, he most likely would not have been fired. Since it will be, and because his job is very easily replaced, it was much easier to simply let him go and avoid that open can of worms. That's simply the reality of it. Public perception is one of the most important things any company will want to avoid tarnishing. If an employee makes statements that will cause the company to lose customers/business, you can bet your ass they will be looking to fire that person.

As an example, I think it's been stated that Sterling was long known to have been a racist by those on the inside/closer to him, but seeing as there wasn't any public evidence or knowledge, it had no effect on the NBA as a business or public perception, thus no action had been taken against him. However, that all changed. It's now very much public knowledge and like I previously stated, fans and players were seeking to boycott and huge sponsors of the NBA were ditching their contracts.

The biggest takeaway here is if you're a piece of shit bigot/racist, you'd do well to keep your views to yourself or watch who you befriend/where you say it, because it can come back to bite you in the ass, especially when you're an owner in a league that's majority black, the race you decided to denigrate.

There have actually been multiple lawsuits concerning Sterling and business practices as it relates to race, as well as statements that have been on the record, that gave away his feelings on race issues.

Spikender
05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm surprised Josh Olin wasn't Left 4 Dead.

But seriously, their decision, but I also can decide whether or not to support their business.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-02-2014, 08:51 PM
There's these:

But apparently it's this one (due to the fine being in excess of $1,000,000) they nailed him on:

The Commissioner shall, wherever there is a rule for which no penalty is specifically fixed for violation thereof, have the authority to fix such penalty as in the Commissioner’s judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-Laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000.

This is exactly what makes the NBA (and organizations like it) a grand joke. People can suit themselves, but I'd say anyone signing such a contract is an absolute fool. Combine that with Massa David Stern's colored boy whippins, and it's pretty easy to see how stuff like this happens.

Now you have a new commissioner, a guy who served under the plantation owner for 20 years. Combine that shrewd little weasel with the blow-dried ESPN boys who can only wet dream about the rich boys screwing the colored girls. You then get a concoction where the insecure pleadings of an old man talking with some woman become the noble cause of media weaklings and the even weaker people who hinge on their every word.

AuH20
05-02-2014, 08:56 PM
This is exactly what makes the NBA (and organizations like it) a grand joke. People can suit themselves, but I'd say anyone signing such a contract is an absolute fool. Combine that with Massa David Stern's colored boy whippins, and it's pretty easy to see how stuff like this happens.

Now you have a new commissioner, a guy who served under the plantation owner for 20 years. Combine that shrewd little weasel with the blow-dried ESPN boys who can only wet dream about the rich boys screwing the colored girls. You then get a concoction where the insecure pleadings of an old man talking with some woman become the noble cause of media weaklings and the even weaker people who hinge on their every word.

The NBA is a joke of an organization. They were caught red-handed fixing their results a few years back with the Donaghy revelations. So it's no surprise in the manner in which they conduct themselves.

Carlybee
05-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Bill Maher said about the same thing...that it's getting really weird when you can't even speak freely even in your own home.

Mark Cuban said that the league constitution did not allow for the removal of an owner for any reason except gambling, and although he disagreed with everything Sterling said, he felt the league's decision could be a very slippery slope. But he backed away from that later on Twitter, with a statement that he 100% supported the commissioner's decision.

They probably threatened him. Let's face it, every lib in this country would have Sterling face criminal charges. They are looking to start stringing people up for speech and thought.

They are too stupid to realize the precedents being set.

tod evans
05-02-2014, 08:57 PM
It's their prerogative..

I'd fire someone who talked about basset-ball.....

AuH20
05-02-2014, 09:02 PM
The real disgusting aspect about this Sterling controversy is that it has emboldened these cretins to push harder on Redskins's owner Daniel Snyder. Just today, John McCain jumped on the bandwagon for a name change.

Inkblots
05-02-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd fire someone who talked about basset-ball.....

Not sure what it is, but it sounds like it might entail animal cruelty. Hounds aren't all that partial to being thrown.

Is it perhaps a descendent of fox-tossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing)?

youngbuck
05-02-2014, 09:09 PM
I think I might just send them a nastygram over their hate of free speech.

Spikender
05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
The real disgusting aspect about this Sterling controversy is that it has emboldened these cretins to push harder on Redskins's owner Daniel Snyder. Just today, John McCain jumped on the bandwagon for a name change.

John McCain actually wants to keep the name Redskins, but he instead wants it to refer the red, dead bodies of all the people the wars he supports have killed.

... I'm in a dark mood today.

No1butPaul
05-02-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm going to boycott them ... whoever they are.

twomp
05-02-2014, 09:48 PM
What has Al Sharpton said recently that would cause a backlash against him and ruin the public perception of his employer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sUjlle7ZVo

jkob
05-02-2014, 10:03 PM
The NBA has a right to punish Sterling if they want.

Antischism
05-02-2014, 10:20 PM
If people think this is a free speech issue, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Free speech doesn't mean you're also free of consequence if what you say violates the rules set in place which you agreed to by signing a contract. If what you say, which you were free to say (free speech) compromises a business and it is stated in the contract that you can be punished/banned for it if it affects public perception and the like (sponsors dropping, boycotts, etc.), that freedom of speech does not guarantee you protection from facing the consequences. That is an entirely different issue.

This is a classic example of people loving liberty and fighting for property rights/a completely free market until it doesn't suit their personal beliefs, agendas, or false interpretation of the law. It further lends credence to the notion that people who associate with the paleo-libertarian movement are racism apologists to those who would otherwise be more open to libertarian ideas. Some people only want a specific kind of freedom, not absolute freedom.

James Madison
05-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Making racist statements = non-violent
Condemning racist statements = non-violent
Forcing someone to relinquish private property over racist statements = violent

AuH20
05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
If people think this is a free speech issue, they clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Free speech doesn't mean you're also free of consequence if what you say violates the rules set in place which you agreed to by signing a contract. If what you say, which you were free to say (free speech) compromises a business and it is stated in the contract that you can be punished/banned for it if it affects public perception and the like (sponsors dropping, boycotts, etc.), that freedom of speech does not guarantee you protection from facing the consequences. That is an entirely different issue.

This is a classic example of people loving liberty and fighting for property rights/a completely free market until it doesn't suit their personal beliefs, agendas, or false interpretation of the law. It further lends credence to the notion that people who associate with the paleo-libertarian movement are racism apologists to those who would otherwise be more open to libertarian ideas. Some people only want a specific kind of freedom, not absolute freedom.

The issue here is top-down pressure from the federal government which has created a culture of fear within the business community. No one here is chastising a private business for exercising their property rights, but rather their POLITICALLY CORRECT REASONS for doing so. It's the same reason why 501 (c) (3) christian denominations are fearful of tackling serious subject matter, since they are afraid of jeopardizing their tax free status. This torrent of state-mandated group think all flows from the same wellspring.

twomp
05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
After thinking about this, I think this is an example of what Ron Paul was talking about when he said the market would be what would end racism. This company fearing the backlash of the community got rid of its employee. The market decided this.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
05-02-2014, 11:49 PM
This issue is not about "racism." It's about an insecure old man who was losing control. His fetal position pleading with that woman could have been about any aspect. If it were not race, then it would have been about age. If it were not age, then it would have been something else. Men and women have such discussions and arguments. Wow, what a surprise.

And this might be a newsflash for the naïve and ideologues, but people in so-called mixed relationships talk about race, ethnicity, etc. And sometimes--gasp!--a joke is even thrown in!

The "statement" that he made hardly infringed upon the spirit of the league's by-laws. God forbid that anybody have a private conversation because it will now technically be the equivalent of a tweet or comment in a press conference. The NBA construing it at such shows that they are weaklings. But that was always the case for the insecure plantation master.

You have to wonder if these rich fools even read their own by-laws. Or, maybe they don't even care.

juleswin
05-03-2014, 12:04 AM

You can say it a million times, make it your post signature but it would never stop the crowd who still thinks this is a free speech issue. This has nothing to do with free speech, a man said something irksome as a member of an organization and got punished for it under the rules of said organization and some people are belly aching and crying freedom of speech violation about it? The funny part is that this is coming from the people who are most likely already boycotting the NBA, I bet you a $1000 that most of these people cannot pick out of a line up the forward from the clippers, yet they insist on putting out their opinion on this matter. Why not just continue boycotting the NBA like you were doing before this happened and as long as govt stays out of it, pretend nothing happened.

The whole thing makes you wonder why we did not see any support whatsoever when the GOVT i might add fired the black Nationalist working for them. That example is closer to a thought crime and violation of free speech that this current one but yet nobody came to his defense. His only crime was to express views about hatred of white people and how he would like to see them dead but that was it. Ideas that never left the pages of his website got him fired and nobody came to his support. It just makes you wonder what is behind all the support for this one guy.

I think some people cannot handle what the free(not entirely) market offers

AuH20
05-03-2014, 09:03 AM
You can say it a million times, make it your post signature but it would never stop the crowd who still thinks this is a free speech issue. This has nothing to do with free speech, a man said something irksome as a member of an organization and got punished for it under the rules of said organization and some people are belly aching and crying freedom of speech violation about it? The funny part is that this is coming from the people who are most likely already boycotting the NBA, I bet you a $1000 that most of these people cannot pick out of a line up the forward from the clippers, yet they insist on putting out their opinion on this matter. Why not just continue boycotting the NBA like you were doing before this happened and as long as govt stays out of it, pretend nothing happened.

The whole thing makes you wonder why we did not see any support whatsoever when the GOVT i might add fired the black Nationalist working for them. That example is closer to a thought crime and violation of free speech that this current one but yet nobody came to his defense. His only crime was to express views about hatred of white people and how he would like to see them dead but that was it. Ideas that never left the pages of his website got him fired and nobody came to his support. It just makes you wonder what is behind all the support for this one guy.

I think some people cannot handle what the free(not entirely) market offers

I don't know about that. One of my best friends is the general manager of the Nuggets and he communicates to me how PC the NBA is run. With that said, this isn't a free speech-free market issue. It's more of a culture of intimidation & fear as I stated above. If you do not ascribe to certain narrow beliefs or creeds, your business will likely be subject to an audit, coerced, blackmailed or scrutinized by the TPTB. It's that simple. Take for example, Mark Cuban's 180 degree 'about face' after originally questioning the NBA's harsh sentence. And the funny thing is that none of the so-called detractors are validating the unsavory comments that Sterling uttered! Nearly everyone agrees that what Sterling said was inappropriate. I suspect that after they dispose of Sterling, the thought police are going to get Daniel Snyder since the NFL is more politically entwined than the NBA.

Voluntarist
05-03-2014, 11:15 AM
xxxxx