PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul endorses Walter Jones

Lucille
05-02-2014, 12:14 PM
http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/walterjonescommittee/mailings/82/attachments/original/RonPaul.jpg?1398973947

Not sure that's going to help. Looks like the teaocons' pick is the former Bush admin. goon. Because nothing says "small government" like George W. Bush, endless war, and trading liberty for "safety."

Meet the Republican strategist who moved back to North Carolina to beat one of the party’s few anti-war scolds.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/05/taylor_griffin_tries_to_unseat_walter_jones_what_d oes_north_carolina_s_gop.html

The Republican foreign policy establishment could not stand this guy, but nor could it get rid of him. Griffin, party poobahs believe, can fix that, aided by that 2011 map that removed some of Jones’ base. In the last month, ads from the conservative Ending Spending and the self-explanatory Emergency Committee for Israel have hit the district (where TV is cheap) with commercials insisting that Jones has become an Obama-ite. The ECI ad warns that Jones “preaches American decline” and “opposes sanctions on Iran.” Both ads accuse him of being the “most liberal” member of Congress because his votes against Republican bills like the Paul Ryan budgets ran up his score. Former Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer and former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour both donated to Griffin. The Paul faction, which keeps getting told it’s taking over the party, dreads losing a race like this.
[...]
“I actually have a libertarian streak,” says Thompson. “There are many issues on which I have the libertarian view. They are just nuts on foreign policy. All you’ve got to do is look at the pronouncements of Ron Paul. It’s just not a credible position. Walter votes against aid to Israel, but the United States has no better, more consistent ally in the Middle East than Israel. We give money to the Palestinians, for Chrissake! So I certainly don’t agree with any of Jones’ reservations about Israel.”
[...]
I eventually get around to asking Griffin how much he agrees with Palin. Over the weekend, she’d joked that waterboarding was a way to “baptize terrorists.” That definitely wasn’t the sort of thing Walter Jones would say. What did he think of the quote?

“Well, Sarah Palin’s a lot more quotable than me,” says Griffin. He pauses for a few seconds. “The struggle between civil liberties and national security did not start yesterday and it won’t end tomorrow. Pre-9/11 we went too far in the wrong direction. Now, we need to ask whether we’re swinging the pendulum too far back in the direction before 9/11 that allowed an attack on our nation. But we cannot forget that there are still people in the world who want to destroy Americans and our country and our way of life.”

Oh look. Teaocons still believe that tired old BS line about how "They hate us for our freedoms." Well, our "freedoms" are gone, and they still hate us, yet they still refuse to accept the actual reason (http://original.antiwar.com/paul/2010/08/09/the-cycle-of-violence-in-afghanistan/).

We talk a little bit about the National Security Agency, and Griffin takes some pleasure in walking me through the SWIFT program, the terror money-tracking initiative he worked on in the Bush administration’s Treasury Department. Griffin repeats what the administration said when the New York Times broke the news of the program’s existence: There might be blood on Bill Keller’s hands. It strikes me that Griffin and Jones have completely divergent views of what the Bush/Cheney legacy’s going to be.

“I observed George W. Bush as a person who got up every morning thinking about what was right for the country,” says Griffin. “You’ve got to remember, this was a time when we felt the threat of a terrorist attack was very real. It affected all of us. We felt an incredible obligation to protect the country from the next terrorist attack. You have to view every decision made in that context. And in that context, I think history will see him very well. History isn’t written yet. The drafts of history written contemporarily are always much less favorable than the drafts of history that are made with the benefit of perspective and hindsight.”

Pauliana
05-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Is Walter Jones in trouble?

William Tell
05-02-2014, 12:32 PM

Yes, big trouble. Neocon groups are attacking him, but he has raised more than his Rino Challenger.
I have seen no polls, so I don't know if the race is close.

Lucille
05-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes, I'm afraid he is.

Brett85
05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Yes, I'm afraid he is.

Have you seen any polls on the race?

Brett85
05-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't like this at all.

“I’ve been working the polls and it’s going at least 4- or 5-to-1 in your favor in the early vote,” one activist tells Griffin.

William Tell
05-02-2014, 01:42 PM

“I’ve been working the polls and it’s going at least 4- or 5-to-1 in your favor in the early vote,” one activist tells Griffin.

I doubt that.

Hyperion
05-02-2014, 01:55 PM
I would be extremely sad if Walter Jones loses to some insider.

Lucille
05-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Have you seen any polls on the race?

I have looked, but I don't think there has been any. He has won straw polls (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?450848-Recent-straw-polls-reflect-a-shift-in-the-core-of-the-GOP-in-the-East) but that doesn't necessarily transfer to election night.

TheTyke
05-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Praying NC will keep Walter Jones! Always liked the fellow.

CPUd
05-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Griffin is one of the candidates being funded by the Rove PAC.

Tywysog Cymru
05-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Jones has survived challenges before, I hope he can make it through.

GunnyFreedom
05-02-2014, 06:50 PM

I doubt that.

I doubt that too. That's the kind of thing supporters will ALWAYS tell you during a campaign right before the election, even if you are about to clear 10 whole percent. Shoot, we told each other similar things about Ron Paul in the 2008 and 2012 primaries.

TomKat
05-02-2014, 08:00 PM

One would believe that he is in trouble if you saw the attack ads I saw a few days ago on the work tv. They attack him for going on the Alex Jones Show and for being a "conspiracy theorist". I think that I have heard all of Walter Jones' interviews on Alex in the last few years and they all have been favorable (in general) and "non conspiracy based" but I guess that would be "using the facts" and we know how the tv likes to use facts!!
I have been voting for Walter every two years and I think that he is one of the best congressmen that we have left, but he really rallies the troops' support so I hope we have nothing to worry about. I have been patient so far in waiting (mainly laziness) but if he gets unseated I guess I have less than two years to get my stuff in order and start running so we still have some "Ron Paul Republicans" in congress........ wait, am I allowed to call myself a republican? Do republicans still want to abolish the govt, make interactions voluntary, and reinstall the 0% tax rate??? Maybe I can lie then (then I would be a profesional politician). Lol!!

Lucille
05-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Antle wrote a piece on Jones (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/walter-joness-conservatism-and-its-critics/), and he's gotten some pushback from team neo-Trot.

Walter Jones and the Bush Tax Cuts
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/walter-jones-and-the-bush-tax-cuts/

One bit of pushback I’ve encountered in response to today’s column about Walter Jones: the claim that Jones was one of just three Republicans to vote with House Democrats to raise taxes in 2010.

Viewed in context, this is misleading. It’s true that Jones joined Ron Paul and Jimmy Duncan in voting for a Democratic bill that would have extended the Bush tax cuts for most taxpayers, but not for the highest earners.

Unlike most of the Democrats who voted for this bill, however, Jones and the other two Republicans did not actually favor increasing tax rates on the top earners. Democrats controlled the House at the time and the Bush tax cuts were going to expire in full unless Congress passed and President Obama signed an extension.

At the time, there was a real possibility that all the tax cuts were going to lapse in 2011. Democrats were arguing that the GOP was holding lower tax rates for the middle class hostage to lower rates for the top 2 percent. Jones, Paul, and Duncan wanted to extend the lower rates for however many people they could.

When I wrote about this in the context of Ron Paul at the time, a representative of Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform commented, “The bill Congress voted on yesterday is a tax cut relative to 2011 law, which assumes everyone’s taxes go up. By preventing some people’s taxes from going up, this would score out as a tax cut.”

Norquist is hardly in the tank for Jones; he campaigned against him in 2008.

Jones voted for the full Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. He voted to make the first round of Bush tax cuts permanent in 2002. He voted for the full extension of the Bush tax cuts in 2010, after the vote for which he is being criticized.

@@