PDA

View Full Version : The heavy hand of the IRS seizes innocent Americans’ assets

Brian4Liberty
05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
No crime. No suspicion. No evidence. No matter. Just power-mad bureaucrats, following procedures.

Terry, who came to Michigan from Iraq in 1970, soon did what immigrants often do: He went into business, buying Schott’s Supermarket in Fraser, Mich., where he still works six days a week. The Internal Revenue Service, a tentacle of a government that spent $3.5 trillion in 2013, tried to steal more than $35,000 from Terry and Sandy that year.

Sandy, a mother of four, has a master’s degree in urban planning but has worked in the store off and on since she was 12. She remembers, “They just walked into the store” and announced that they had emptied the store’s bank account. The IRS agents believed, or pretended to believe, that Terry and Sandy were or conceivably could be — which is sufficient for the IRS — conducting a criminal enterprise when not selling groceries.

What pattern of behavior supposedly aroused the suspicions of a federal government that is ignorant of how small businesses function? Terry and Sandy regularly make deposits of less than $10,000 in the bank across the street. Federal law, aimed primarily at money laundering by drug dealers, requires banks to report cash deposits of more than $10,000. It also makes it illegal to “structure” deposits to evade such reporting.

Because 35 percent of Schott’s Supermarket’s receipts are in cash, Terry and Sandy make frequent trips to the bank to avoid tempting actual criminals by having large sums at the store. Besides, their insurance policy covers no cash loss in excess of $10,000.
...on Jan. 22, 2013, Terry and Sandy discovered that the IRS had obtained a secret warrant and emptied the store’s bank account.
More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-the-heavy-hand-of-the-irs/2014/04/30/7a56ca9e-cfc5-11e3-a6b1-45c4dffb85a6_story.html

kathy88
05-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Some nosy bank teller probably blew them in for the cash deposits and 'cause they didn't look 'murican.

Brian4Liberty
05-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Some nosy bank teller probably blew them in for the cash deposits and 'cause they didn't look 'murican.

If you read the whole story, it appears that the bank was working with the IRS. They waited for a day with an extra large deposit/balance, and raided the account that day.

kathy88
05-01-2014, 05:27 PM
If you read the whole story, it appears that the bank was working with the IRS. They waited for a day with an extra large deposit/balance, and raided the account that day.

yeah I read it on my phone I guess I did miss that

nbruno322
05-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Its a good idea to have a bank account in another country.

http://www.internationalman.com/articles/offshore-banking

Czolgosz
05-01-2014, 08:40 PM
You stop a theif with violence.

Spikender
05-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Internal Revenue Shitstain.

Can't stand these fuckers. They did absolutely no investigation before doing this either. I bet my right hand that they'll try everything in their power to avoid giving the money back like the good little thieves they are.

ClydeCoulter
05-01-2014, 08:55 PM
:mad:

oyarde
05-01-2014, 11:09 PM
I never deposit large amounts of money , I probably dump in , on an avg month , $2700 and spread it across four deposits , then write checks against all of it immediately , anything more , I convert to land , equipment , tools , ammo ,lead , copper , silver ,stocks ,bonds , gold , gifts to the children , Grand Kids , something. If the seize my account , they get nothing .. I have done this for probably at least the last 35 yrs .

nobody's_hero
05-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Reason number 4,328 not to store money in a bank.

jtap
05-02-2014, 06:29 AM
The way these a-holes operate and are allowed to operate makes me sick.

This is the thanks you get for letting the bank make money off you in this corrupt system. Screw banks.

TonySutton
05-02-2014, 06:40 AM
How much tax money was wasted harassing these people?