PDA

View Full Version : Obama scores rare environmental victory at Supreme Court

Anti Federalist
04-29-2014, 06:46 PM
The Gowned Clowns strike again.

Regulation Without Representation.

Obama scores rare environmental victory at Supreme Court

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/29/us/supreme-court-epa/

(CNN) -- A key part of the Obama administration's green policies received surprisingly strong Supreme Court support on Tuesday over efforts to curb air pollution.

A 6-2 majority of justices issued a decision upholding federal agency rules to control coal-fired power plant emissions from 28 states.

It was a rare environmental victory in a conservative majority court that has in recent years generally sided against the federal government's nationwide clean air policies.

<snip>

In a typically thunderous dissent, Justice Antonin Scalia said, "Today's opinion is a textbook example of how a court established to assure government by the people can instead assure government by the bureaucracy."

He said the majority's reasoning will only encourage "rogue administration of the law."

(All sound, and Fury, Signifying Nothing - AF)

francisco
04-29-2014, 08:33 PM
...The Gowned Clowns strike again.

Regulation Without Representation...

First time I saw the term "The Gowned Clowns" was in another post earlier today, perhaps one of yours, AF.

Was the term just invented? Regardless, it sure fits.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2014, 09:03 PM
First time I saw the term "The Gowned Clowns" was in another post earlier today, perhaps one of yours, AF.

I wish I could claim credit.

Becky Akers at LRC Blog was where I first saw it.

Maybed she coined it or maybe she just heard it from someone else.

But yeah, it sure does fit, doesn't it?

Anti Federalist
04-29-2014, 09:04 PM

I wish I could claim credit.

Becky Akers at LRC Blog was where I first saw it.

Maybed she coined it or maybe she just heard it from someone else.

But yeah, it sure does fit, doesn't it?

jclay2
04-29-2014, 09:30 PM
It's like they want us to be poor?

nobody's_hero
04-29-2014, 11:09 PM
It's like they want us to be poor?

Meanwhile China builds hundreds of coal power plants, and gets American politicians to force Americans off U.S. land to make room for Chinese solar plants. They don't just want us to be poor, they want to make sure we could never possibly compete to lift ourselves up out of poverty.

TruckinMike
04-30-2014, 02:09 AM
I noticed they passed the dissent ball to Scalia. I guess it was his turn to regain his conservative public image. I wonder who is next in the rotation?

CaptUSA
04-30-2014, 05:41 AM
The really sad part about this ruling was that they weren't really deciding whether or not the regulation should exist, only who should control it. The regulation itself was already a foregone conclusion.