PDA

View Full Version : Rand, Straightforwardly Libertarian, Gets a Warm Reception at Harvard

jct74
04-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Rand, Straightforwardly Libertarian, Gets a Warm Reception at Harvard

By A.J. Kritikos
April 27, 2014 6:40 PM

On Friday afternoon, Kentucky senator Rand Paul spoke at Harvard’s Institute of Politics. Despite the libertarian and conservative arguments he put forth to the Cambridge audience, he was received warmly, though his more detailed legal arguments on national-security issues need some fine-tuning.

Overall, Senator Paul was impressive. Some on the right have criticized his attempts to reach out to historically liberal groups, such as college students, on the grounds that he merely resorts to arguing his liberal views — his drug-legalization remarks at Berkeley come to mind. Senator Paul was clearly trying to appeal to his Harvard audience by focusing his prepared remarks on privacy and security issues, but he didn’t pander. His comments on abortion, marriage, health care, gun rights, and campaign finance all didn’t waver much from views held by many mainstream conservatives.

And despite those arguments, the reception was overwhelmingly positive. The audience, even those who disagreed, seemed to respect that the senator responded to their questions with genuine arguments, and not party-line platitudes. Furthermore, the senator’s tone was tremendously pleasant, always at ease with himself and with the audience and never bristling when a questioner seemed to be criticizing him. He’s not there yet, but at this early stage in his political career, it’s easy to imagine Senator Paul being compared to an exceedingly personable young Arkansas governor from the early 1990s.

read more:
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/376669/rand-straightforwardly-libertarian-gets-warm-reception-harvard-aj-kritikos

Origanalist
04-27-2014, 05:37 PM
it’s easy to imagine Senator Paul being compared to an exceedingly personable young Arkansas governor from the early 1990s.

http://static.designmynight.com/uploads/2014/01/what-gif-birmingham-blog.gif

roho76
04-27-2014, 05:42 PM

I think he was referring to Slick Willy not the Fat Fuck. I can see it. He is very charismatic.

Origanalist
04-27-2014, 05:45 PM
I think he was referring to Slick Willy not the Fat Fuck. I can see it. He is very charismatic.

I knew who he talking about. Comparing Rand to Clinton is not something I want to hear.

twomp
04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
In the 2008 Supreme Court decision Boumediene v. Bush, the Court held that Guantanamo Bay detainees (which were specifically mentioned by Senator Paul) are entitled to having a federal court review their challenge to being designated an enemy combatant. While the Boumediene decision is precariously reasoned, it nevertheless remains controlling law, suggesting that the situation isn’t quite what Paul presents to his audiences.

The author uses a 2008 court case to argue against the 2012 NDAA. That's like saying there was no slavery in the 1700's because slavery was abolished in 1865.

Brett85
04-27-2014, 05:49 PM
I knew who he talking about. Comparing Rand to Clinton is not something I want to hear.

He was just saying that Rand is a good politician like Clinton.

Origanalist
04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
He was just saying that Rand is a good politician like Clinton.

I know, it's just a visceral reaction on my part to Clinton. He's a lying sleazebag and a serial adulterer.

Vanguard101
04-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Comparing him to a candidate that got elected is something I want to hear :)

anaconda
04-27-2014, 05:58 PM

I believe people thought of Bill Clinton as young, charming, articulate, intelligent, folksy, and a Washington D.C. outsider.

Origanalist
04-27-2014, 06:01 PM
I believe people thought of Bill Clinton as young, charming, articulate, intelligent, folksy, and a Washington D.C. outsider.

Pretty much my point. And your post read like this when I responded;

People thought of Bill Clinton as young, charming, folksy, modern, and intelligent.

Origanalist
04-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Look , I'm not saying anything about Rand here. It's just if that somebody compared me to Clinton I would have to fight the urge to deck them.

anaconda
04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
I like that the title of the article refers to him as, simply, "Rand." :D

menciusmoldbug
04-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Still no video of the event?

anaconda
04-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Still no video of the event?

At this moment there's several tubes up with different titles, but they're all the same 1:41 length video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QP2UCTmnZw

KingNothing
04-28-2014, 09:22 AM

I'd say comparing our boy Randy to Bill Clinton in terms of being likable is a very good thing.

Carlybee
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Comparing him to a candidate that got elected is something I want to hear :)

And put up on impeachment charges?

TomtheTinker
04-28-2014, 10:50 AM

I'm pretty sure he was referring to his approach and ability to charm and not to his policy leanings. Being able to connect with voters is exactly what you want Rand to have the ability to do.

TomtheTinker
04-28-2014, 10:50 AM

That has nothing to do with the comparison the writer was trying to make.

NOVALibertarian
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Yeah, it's not as if the article compared Rand to Bill in regards to policy. It was mostly Bill's charm and likability that put him in the White House, anyway. If Rand's personality is being compared to that, then yeah, it's a pretty good thing.

jllundqu
04-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Rand is rocking it. Keep these events going. These days, likeability is as important as policy positions.

anaconda
04-29-2014, 12:27 AM

Impeachment made Bill Clinton even more popular.

jct74
05-01-2014, 10:13 AM
hope no one minds but i moved the video and discussion of Rand's speech over the original thread (and updated OP/title).

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?449411-Video-A-Public-Address-by-Senator-Rand-Paul-at-Harvard-Institute-of-Politics-4-25-14