PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Sheriff's Dept. that crashed the drone into the A.P.C.?

phill4paul
04-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Sheriff’s Office drone takes dive, gets lost in Lake Conroe

LAKE CONROE – Divers spent the majority of Friday afternoon searching for the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office half-million-dollar drone that crashed into Lake Conroe.

Operators of the unmanned aerial vehicle were out on Lake Conroe conducting exercises with the drone when it “malfunctioned,” according to MCSO Public Information Officer Brady Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald said it had not been determined what caused the drone to crash into the lake. The Sheriff’s Office also declined to specify where the Shadowhawk, designed and manufactured by Vanguard Defense Industries in Spring, entered the water for fear members of the public might launch their own search missions.

Divers with the Precinct 1 Constable’s Lake Patrol joined in the recovery effort Friday, not long after the remote-controlled helicopter disappeared in Lake Conroe. Lt. Tim Cade, of the Lake Conroe Dive Team, referred all questions regarding the recovery effort to the MCSO.

The MCSO purchased the Shadowhawk for approximately $500,000 in October 2011. MCSO’S version was funded by Department of Homeland Security grants. The Shadowhawk contains powerful video and thermal imaging surveillance equipment.

The Shadowhawk weighs 29 pounds, is 92 inches long and almost 30 inches in height.

This isn’t the first time the Sheriff’s drone has gone awry. In March o2012, it was 15 feet off the ground when the helicopter started to oscillate.
The aircraft’s rotor blades clipped a nearby SWAT truck, inflicting damage before crashing.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/sheriff-s-office-drone-takes-dive-gets-lost-in-lake/article_0ef9baae-094e-5736-8659-43b91db7a731.html

JK/SEA
04-27-2014, 09:56 AM
the test was a success from my perspective.

Acala
04-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Hahahahahaha! Hey Barn, maybe you should stick to walking the beat?

RJB
04-27-2014, 01:55 PM
The MCSO purchased the Shadowhawk for approximately $500,000.00
A half million dollar remote controlled airplane that you could get for $200 at a hobby shop!!!

Those %#@$ war profiteers are making a killing, both literally and figuratively.

MaiNiaK
04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I don't think they'll be able to salvage much. All those electronics are toast.!

mrsat_98
04-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hahahahahaha! Hey Barn, maybe you should stick to walking the beat?

Aww Angge it wadn't loaded.

Bammm, shazam yes it was. Golllee Barn it was loaded.

Pericles
04-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Tell me again why I'm supposed to be scared shitless of drones?

Anti Federalist
04-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Because the real ones, not the half million dollar toys that asshole cops play with themselves with, can smoke you from a hundred miles beyond the horizon.

Not to mention put a whole city under surveillance.

;)

RJB
04-27-2014, 07:45 PM

I was tempted to post a few pictures of victims (particularly children) of drone bombings, but I might get banned for the gore.

Pericles
04-27-2014, 08:08 PM
I was tempted to post a few pictures of victims (particularly children) of drone bombings, but I might get banned for the gore.

And what you don't see is how many attempts to do that failed. If a weapon "works" 10% or 1% of the time .... and keep in mind, that somebody in BFE has a much more difficult task to put some payback on a drone operation, than say somebody near Las Vegas.....

Anti Federalist
04-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Oh, almost forgot...this goes right here:

Sheriff’s Office drone takes dive, gets lost in Lake Conroe

LAKE CONROE – Divers spent the majority of Friday afternoon searching for the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office half-million-dollar drone that crashed into Lake Conroe.

Operators of the unmanned aerial vehicle were out on Lake Conroe conducting exercises with the drone when it “malfunctioned,” according to MCSO Public Information Officer Brady Fitzgerald.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2302/2510825375_176f1608a0.jpg