PDA

View Full Version : Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy apologizes for race remarks

donnay
04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy apologizes for race remarks

By John M. Glionna

April 25, 2014, 4:15 p.m.
Reporting from Las Vegas —

Militant Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy on Friday apologized for his comments published this week on African Americans and slavery but refused to back off from his intended point that the federal government was too powerful, saying that his remarks came “from the heart.”

In a daily news conference from his ranch in Bunkerville, north of Las Vegas, the 67-year-old rancher, who is in a prolonged battle with federal officials over grazing rights on public lands in Nevada, said he was not a racist.

“I’m probably one of the most non-racist people in America,” he said, standing on the back of a long-haul truck trailer with an American flag in the foreground.

He suggested that his comments were misinterpreted.

“I hope I didn’t offend anybody. If I did, I ask for your forgiveness,” he said in a news conference streamed on the Internet. “But I meant what I said. It comes form the heart."

In an interview with a New York Times reporter, Bundy talked about social welfare and African Americans and the corrosive effect of government subsidies.

"They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom,” Bundy said.

A public firestorm erupted. Some conservative lawmakers who had supported Bundy backed off, denouncing his statements. Harry Reid, Nevada’s senior senator and a Bundy critic, called him a “hateful racist.”

Continued... (http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-nevada-bundy-slavery-apology-20140425,0,2611088.story#ixzz2zxdmuKO4)

kcchiefs6465
04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
“Sometimes I say the right thing and sometimes I say the wrong things, but I’m just happy to be here talking to America," he said. "It’s not too often a rancher gets to talk to millions of people.”
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

He said the standoff made him tired, but he was not tired of discussing race.

“The U.S. has an obsession about race. And I’m not tired of talking about it,” Bundy said.

He then launched into a rambling diatribe about religion as a woman in fatigue pants took pictures and a man wearing a cowboy hat and gun in his hip holster stood nearby.

Bundy also took a shot at the BLM, saying, “They do not own this land. They are a foreign group here.”

"Journalism."

FSP-Rebel
04-26-2014, 11:10 AM
White conservatives rarely are given a second chance to redeem themselves after they go racial.

ProIndividual
04-26-2014, 12:13 PM
White conservatives rarely are given a second chance to redeem themselves after they go racial.

It might be a good idea not to "go racial" to begin with, since it's nonsense collectivist thinking. Some deny he's racist (including him), but he's certainly a collectivist thinker. Maybe that doesn't translate to every aspect of his thinking (he isn't a communist, for example)...but it doesn't have to.