PDA

View Full Version : GOP candidates appear to be copying phrases from Sen. Paul's websites

Anti Federalist
04-25-2014, 03:11 PM
GOP candidates appear to be copying phrases from Sen. Paul's websites

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/25/gop-hopefuls-apparently-borrowing-from-sen-paul-on-key-issues/

Several Republican candidates for state and federal offices appear to be mimicking -- and in some cases, word-for-word plagiarizing -- sections of Sen. Rand Paul's campaign and official websites.

The similarities to passages on the Kentucky Republican senator's sites were first flagged last week by Buzzfeed. A review by FoxNews.com finds that while some candidates are not always doing wholesale copy and paste, the similarities in language are obvious. While one candidate's campaign defended the practice by suggesting he and Paul were "like-minded," others did not offer a clear explanation.

Click to see the candidates' websites.

One of the candidates is North Carolina Senate hopeful Greg Brannon, who like Paul in 2010 is a physician vying for his first seat in public office. The similarities in their bios extend to similarities in their websites. Many of Brannon's “Issues” pages are curiously similar to the pages from Paul’s website from his first Senate campaign.

Take, for example, this phrase from the candidates’ pages on the Second Amendment, which both feature them holding a gun:

Paul: “Politicians often give lip service to the 2nd Amendment but then go off to Washington and vote to restrict gun ownership.”

Brannon: “Too many politicians give public lip service to the Second Amendment but then turn around and vote to restrict gun ownership.”

Or their pages on immigration:

Paul: “Millions crossing our border without our knowledge constitutes a clear threat to our nation’s security.”

Brannon: “Millions crossing our borders without documentation constitutes a clear threat to our nation’s security.”

Or on abortion:

Paul: “In addition, I believe we may be able to save millions of lives in the near future by allowing states to pass their own anti-abortion laws. If states were able to do so, I sincerely believe many -- including Kentucky -- would do so tomorrow, saving hundreds of thousands of lives.”

Brannon: “While we are working on the ultimate goal of ending human abortion, I believe that we may be able to save millions of lives in the near future by allowing states to pass their own anti-abortion laws. If states were able to do so, I sincerely believe many – including North Carolina — would do so tomorrow, saving hundreds of thousands of lives.”

compromise
04-26-2014, 01:24 AM
I wish more Republican candidates would copy and paste their positions from Rand.