PDA

View Full Version : Video: MSNBC coverage of Rand's critique of Reagan deficit spendings

juleswin
04-25-2014, 11:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOWavu9SLSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU3-izQF3QU

AlexAmore
04-25-2014, 11:47 AM
It's not horrible stuff. MSNBC is trying their best to make him out be extreme with his moderate-realist quotes. All of Rand's "take backs" were actually reaffirmations while acknowledging what he agreed with.

brushfire
04-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Its just odd to watch stuff like this. Is there really a market for MSNBC programing?

How can a defender of FDR have anything critical to say about anything?

KurtBoyer25L
04-25-2014, 01:11 PM
The genius of Ron & Rand Paul is that they speak about political issues in a humble way, but that humble "moderation" actually helps cut right to the bone of issues, instead of clouding them the way so many Presidential candidates have. It also stirs discussions such as this video.

I liked what the chick had to say btw, she's a cutie. At this point someone will probably inform me that she's an evil psycho bitch because of something she wrote about Hillary Clinton in 2008, which demonstrates the point I'm making.

The Pauls are about moving away from the tribalism in current politics. Go to any biased blog or news outlet, the top comment on any story is usually "That just goes to show you what kind of people all liberals are" or "Who wouldn't expect a Republican to be racist?" (The irony is that when people say that they're admitting to a prejudice that is as bad/worse as racism in many ways)

Rand Paul doesn't tend to speak about an individual's character who opposes him. He tends to view all people as flawed human beings, consistent with the Christian idea that we're all fuckers anyway. The discussion is about policy -- ideas, movements, influence -- whether talking about Obama, Reagan, Carter, Marx, whoever!

The political weakness is that it's so different from what the public is used to. When you make the public forum less like a football game, how do people react? Rand is very careful to moderate, yes, moderate everything he says to communicate equal respect for all citizens if not equal respect for their ideas.

It's catchin' on (painfully & slowly), I'm tellin' ya (that I don't know if it will sway a majority of Americans to change their discourse, but it's fun to see him try).

Vanguard101
04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
He should have just stopped with the tax cut statements

twomp
04-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Showing a GOP politician criticizing Regan on a network who's target viewers are Democrats? Are they trying to help him?

juleswin
04-25-2014, 03:04 PM
It's not horrible stuff. MSNBC is trying their best to make him out be extreme with his moderate-realist quotes. All of Rand's "take backs" were actually reaffirmations while acknowledging what he agreed with.

Exactly but that doesn't Rachel from trying to interpret his response as taking it back.

The little problem I see with his response is that liberals can now use his statement to say that Reagan grew the economy by deficit spending. Seeing as Reagan clearly increased spending and borrowing more than he cut in taxes.