PDA

View Full Version : GOP Lawmaker Says Women Don't Deserve Equal Pay Because They're Lazier

aGameOfThrones
04-24-2014, 07:45 PM
New Hampshire state Rep. Will Infantine (R) explained that the pay gap between men and women stems from the fact that men work harder, take riskier jobs and are “more motivated by money” during a House speech Wednesday against the state’s paycheck equity bill.

“Men by and large make more because of some of the things they do. Their jobs are, by and large, more riskier,” Infantine, a former chairman of the Manchester Republican Committee, said on Wednesday, as captured by progressive advocacy group Granite State Progress. “They don’t mind working nights and weekends. They don’t mind working overtime, or outdoors in the elements.”

In response to an outburst from colleagues objecting to the Hillsborough Republican’s remarks, Infantine responded, “It’s not me!”

“Men work five or six hours longer a week than women do. When it comes to women and men who own businesses … women make half of what men do because of flexibility of work, men are more motivated by money than women are,” Infantine said, noting that facts from the Bureau of Labor Statistics validate his claims. “Guys! I’m not making this stuff up!”

Zandra Rice Hawkins, executive director of Granite State Progress, condemned the New Hampshire legislator’s “outdated thinking” in a press release Thursday.

“Comments like these only serve to remind us of the outdated thinking that has allowed paycheck inequity to exist in the workplace for way too long,” Hawkins said. “Women are not asking for anything more than an equal day’s pay for an equal day’s work.”

The New Hampshire House voted 187-134 on Wednesday to give preliminary approval to the Paycheck Equity Act, a bill seeking to eliminate wage discrimination on the basis of sex. The measure will be reviewed by the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee before returning to the full House for a final vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/24/will-infantine-paycheck-fairness-bill_n_5206350.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

juleswin
04-24-2014, 07:51 PM
This is another example where cautions and picking your words carefully should so as not to send the wrong message. Btw, here is the video of the speech in question and as you might have guessed, it doesn't match the deadline from Huffpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mej2Vg6tmWc

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-24-2014, 07:56 PM
If women are paid so much less, wouldn't companies be full of women to save money?

aGameOfThrones
04-24-2014, 07:58 PM
If women are paid so much less, wouldn't companies be full of women to save money?

But they are still Lazier.

Origanalist
04-24-2014, 08:01 PM
This is news? :toady:

juleswin
04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
But they are still Lazier.

Did he actually say women are lazier than men? or is this you putting words in his mouth?

DamianTV
04-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Who was the idiot Lawmaker who tried to say that there is no such thing as Rape because women dont get pregnant unless they choose to? It was something to that effect, but equally as ignorant...

erowe1
04-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Did he say anything wrong in that article?

erowe1
04-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Did he actually say women are lazier than men? or is this you putting words in his mouth?

That's the headline of the article itself.

No, it doesn't look like he said anything remotely close to that.

HVACTech
04-24-2014, 08:10 PM
men make more money, by and large. because they do not have babies.

it is rude to dump on women because they have babies.

Natural law says we need to recognize this basic fact.

juleswin
04-24-2014, 08:18 PM
men make more money, by and large. because they do not have babies.

it is rude to dump on women because they have babies.

Natural law says we need to recognize this basic fact.

Sad but true, children tend to hinder women's professional progress.

Today, Mark Perry and Andrew Biggs, two scholars at the American Enterprise Institute, got the assignment for The Wall Street Journal. After acknowledging that, yes, women working full-time earn about one-fifth less than what men take home, they write, “but every ‘full-time’ worker… is not the same.”

Men were almost twice as likely as women to work more than 40 hours a week, and women almost twice as likely to work only 35 to 39 hours per week. Once that is taken into consideration, the pay gap begins to shrink. Women who worked a 40-hour week earned 88% of male earnings.

Then there is the issue of marriage and children. The BLS (US Bureau of Labor) reports that single women who have never married earned 96% of men’s earnings in 2012.

The supposed pay gap appears when marriage and children enter the picture. Child care takes mothers out of the labor market, so when they return they have less work experience than similarly-aged males.

http://billmoyers.com/2014/04/08/debunking-the-myth-of-a-mythical-gender-pay-gap/

HVACTech
04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Sad but true, children tend to hinder women's professional progress.

Today, Mark Perry and Andrew Biggs, two scholars at the American Enterprise Institute, got the assignment for The Wall Street Journal. After acknowledging that, yes, women working full-time earn about one-fifth less than what men take home, they write, “but every ‘full-time’ worker… is not the same.”

http://billmoyers.com/2014/04/08/debunking-the-myth-of-a-mythical-gender-pay-gap/

it is NOT sad my friend. it is glorious and proper.
it is unnatural and rude to compare men and women economically.

natural law says, that the man provides, the woman protects.
I see no problem with this.

Origanalist
04-24-2014, 08:38 PM

This^^^^^

Being a woman and mother is a glorious and praise worthy thing. The propaganda aimed at dividing the sexes against one another is disgusting.

MelissaWV
04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
If I did not have the article's headline to bias me, I would probably take away from his words that he believes men are motivated by monetary compensation and women will go for more benefits but lower pay. I've found this to be anecdotally true. I'd rather have a flexible work schedule and lose out on a little bit of hourly pay or salary.

HVACTech
04-24-2014, 08:55 PM
This^^^^^

Being a woman and mother is a glorious and praise worthy thing. The propaganda aimed at dividing the sexes against one another is disgusting.

thank you. children need both a mother and a father.
it is not just disgusting, it is pure evil.

raising posterity, (children) is glorious.

paying the bills is not glorious. but that is what real men do.

VIDEODROME
04-24-2014, 09:03 PM

http://front.moveon.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/binder6.jpeg

James Madison
04-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Headline is misleading.

Anywho, what he said is correct. Men are more inclined to list financial success as the primary motivator in their jobs, which makes sense. They are more likely to take risks and work bad hours because they pay more. This is a relic of ancestral humans and our primate relatives. Males contribute very little to pregnancies; so little that any fertile male could theoretically sire thousands of children if enough women existed. A woman, however, would be lucky to have 20, half of whom will likely die before adulthood. Childbirth itself is also dangerous for the mother.

Consider polygamy in human culture. A single male having multiple wives is common, but the inverse is nigh unheard of. This is good because it allows the biggest, strongest, fastest, and the smartest males to father the children; weaker males die out and are unable to dilute the gene pool. This hypothesis provides a good explanation for how chimps evolved into the apex predator, eclipsing all manner of beasts and despite our (relative) unimposing stature. It also explains why the homeless are overwhelmingly male, as are prison populations and those with severe mental illness. Finally, it explains why males continue to be at the top of most organizations, make up the vast majority of scientists, engineers, and inventors. Males are more likely to take risks, and are, thus, more of a crapshoot; if you lose a few males it doesn't really matter because they are expendable. A single woman is far more vital to tribal and species survivorship than a single man and will, therefore, dictate the terms of any amorous relationship. Males compete to woo potential mates; females choose the best of the lot, and humanity lives to evolve another day.

What this means is that males need to advertise fitness to potential mates, and financial wealth is probably the best way to do this. Women do, too, to an extent, and sexual dimorphism has been decreasing for several million years in hominids, which suggests a trend against this observation. It will be interesting to observe how humans evolve over the coming eons.

Origanalist
04-24-2014, 09:12 PM
It will be interesting to observe how humans evolve over the coming eons.

Planning on a long life?

James Madison
04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Planning on a long life?

Fuck yeah.

osan
04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
“Men by and large make more because of some of the things they do. Their jobs are, by and large, more riskier,”

His problems with language are apparently more worser than I initially thought.

The New Hampshire House voted 187-134 on Wednesday to give preliminary approval to the Paycheck Equity Act, a bill seeking to eliminate wage discrimination on the basis of sex. The measure will be reviewed by the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee before returning to the full House for a final vote.

Just look at the inroads FSP has made.

God help us.

oyarde
04-25-2014, 12:31 AM
If I did not have the article's headline to bias me, I would probably take away from his words that he believes men are motivated by monetary compensation and women will go for more benefits but lower pay. I've found this to be anecdotally true. I'd rather have a flexible work schedule and lose out on a little bit of hourly pay or salary.

Pretty much , every place I ever worked , some of the men work more hours . I did it as well when I was younger and had children @ home.

Bohner
04-25-2014, 12:45 AM
What he said is absolutely true.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/

Why the Gender Pay Gap is a Complete Myth

Men are far more likely to choose careers that are more dangerous, so they naturally pay more. Top 10 most dangerous jobs (from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics): Fishers, loggers, aircraft pilots, farmers and ranchers, roofers, iron and steel workers, refuse and recyclable material collectors, industrial machinery installation and repair, truck drivers, construction laborers. They're all male-dominated jobs.

Men are far more likely to work in higher-paying fields and occupations (by choice). According to the White House report, "In 2009, only 7 percent of female professionals were employed in the relatively high paying computer and engineering fields, compared with 38 percent of male professionals." Professional women, on the other hand, are far more prevalent "in the relatively low-paying education and health care occupations."

Men are far more likely to take work in uncomfortable, isolated, and undesirable locations that pay more.Men work longer hours than women do. The average fulltime working man works 6 hours per week or 15 percent longer than the average fulltime working woman.

Men are more likely to take jobs that require work on weekends and evenings and therefore pay more.

Even within the same career category, men are more likely to pursue high-stress and higher-paid areas of specialization. For example, within the medical profession, men gravitate to relatively high-stress and high-paying areas of specialization, like surgery, while women are more likely to pursue relatively lower-paid areas of specialization like pediatrician or dentist.

Despite all of the above, unmarried women who've never had a child actually earn more than unmarried men, according to Nemko and data compiled from the Census Bureau.

Women business owners make less than half of what male business owners make, which, since they have no boss, means it's independent of discrimination. The reason for the disparity, according to a Rochester Institute of Technology study, is that money is the primary motivator for 76% of men versus only 29% of women. Women place a higher premium on shorter work weeks, proximity to home, fulfillment, autonomy, and safety, according to Nemko.

It's hard to argue with Nemko's position which, simply put, is this: When women make the same career choices as men, they earn the same amount as men. As far as I'm concerned, this is one myth that has been officially and completely busted. Maybe you should celebrate International Women's Day 2011 by empowering women with the truth instead of treating them like victims ... which they're not

jclay2
04-25-2014, 12:52 AM
I wish people had the ability to analyze facts as opposed to tying themselves to emotions. In this and the Bundy statement, both were pretty much accurate yet their beliefs will be ridiculed because of the way in which it was stated.

Carlybee
04-25-2014, 12:58 AM
I think science should figure out a way for men to have babies. Problem solved.

RonPaulMall
04-25-2014, 01:03 AM
I wish people had the ability to analyze facts as opposed to tying themselves to emotions. In this and the Bundy statement, both were pretty much accurate yet their beliefs will be ridiculed because of the way in which it was stated.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would ridicule this guy for what he said. The only thing that would generate ridicule is if he had said what the Huff Post Headline inaccurately claims that he said. He said nothing even remotely close to what they suggest so there is really nothing to see here. Funny how so many Huff Post commenters will rip on Drudge yet you never see him just fabricating a fake headline like this. That's the difference between somebody will real skill and the hacks they employ. I heard recently that site still doesn't generate a profit. How can you not make money with traffic that site generates?

oyarde
04-25-2014, 01:08 AM

I am going to pass on that , the nine or so I have would be grateful the decision making was not up to me , I probably would have been scared , just got a goldfish :) I love them all.

oyarde
04-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Honestly, I don't think anyone would ridicule this guy for what he said. The only thing that would generate ridicule is if he had said what the Huff Post Headline inaccurately claims that he said. He said nothing even remotely close to what they suggest so there is really nothing to see here. Funny how so many Huff Post commenters will rip on Drudge yet you never see him just fabricating a fake headline like this. That's the difference between somebody will real skill and the hacks they employ. I heard recently that site still doesn't generate a profit. How can you not make money with traffic that site generates?
Because it is shit .

Suzanimal
04-25-2014, 03:21 AM
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlR6CdJtRWM&list=RDrwPg2oarG_c

osan
04-25-2014, 07:04 AM

That's rep-worthy. This is one of the central issues of humanity and as we advance technologically, it becomes ever more salient to us as individuals in every way imaginable.

The unwillingness to decouple our emotions from our analytical activities is bad juju in many cases. This is not to say emotion has no place in human affairs - that is clearly untrue. But there are at least STAGES of processes in which emotions must be held at arm's length in order for us to be able to come to optimal conclusions and make the best decisions possible. This is something a great plurality of people are simply unwilling to do and it is killing us. It is destroying freedom, proper sense, prosperity, and good health. It is making a shamble of human life.

Cap
04-25-2014, 07:27 AM
That's rep-worthy. This is one of the central issues of humanity and as we advance technologically, it becomes ever more salient to us as individuals in every way imaginable.

The unwillingness to decouple our emotions from our analytical activities is bad juju in many cases. This is not to say emotion has no place in human affairs - that is clearly untrue. But there are at least STAGES of processes in which emotions must be held at arm's length in order for us to be able to come to optimal conclusions and make the best decisions possible. This is something a great plurality of people are simply unwilling to do and it is killing us. It is destroying freedom, proper sense, prosperity, and good health. It is making a shamble of human life.Very well articulated.

Carlybee
04-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Pretty much , every place I ever worked , some of the men work more hours . I did it as well when I was younger and had children @ home.

I have held a full time job my whole life without choice. I took off a few months when my son was born but worked at home sometimes until 3am to get the work done. The problem we women have is we tend to not push for raises and we should because at least in an office atmosphere we are generally the glue that holds it together. If men are able to work long hours and such I guarantee you they wouldn't be doing that if they were the ones also having to work and take care of the kids. This article is full of generalizations. That being said I would keep the government out of any equal pay arguments.

erowe1
04-25-2014, 09:47 AM
If men are able to work long hours and such I guarantee you they wouldn't be doing that if they were the ones also having to work and take care of the kids.

I think that's the point the guy was making. "Lazy" was the journalist's word, not his.

Philhelm
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Why? I've already figured out how men can have babies. I inserted my little penis inside of a female host and stimulated it until it sneezed. Worked twice.

Terry1
04-25-2014, 09:53 AM
I don't think it matters whether a person is male or female--if they can do the job, then that should be the only qualifier and if they can't--then no--they shouldn't be hired to do that job.

Ender
04-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Amen, Brother! (Or Sister ;) )

Carlybee
04-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Why? I've already figured out how men can have babies. I inserted my little penis inside of a female host and stimulated it until it sneezed. Worked twice.

But you didn't have to physically pass something the size of a small watermelon so you didn't "have" a baby..you only took possession after the fact. :D

Philhelm
04-25-2014, 11:30 AM
But you didn't have to physically pass something the size of a small watermelon so you didn't "have" a baby..you only took possession after the fact. :D

That is because women are an inferior mechanical design. I had passed on many somethings that were microscopic in size; the female host was then infected with my DNA and, due to her poor design, passed something the size of a small watermelon rather than laying an egg, which would make more sense.

Brian4Liberty
04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
As interesting as dissecting this topic might be, I'll just add this:

"War on women!", "Racist!", "Abortion!", "Global Warming!", "Dinosaurs or Moses?!", "Hillary 2016!"

James Madison
04-25-2014, 12:44 PM
As interesting as dissecting this topic might be, I'll just add this:

"War on women!", "Racist!", "Abortion!", "Global Warming!", "Dinosaurs or Moses?!", "Hillary 2016!"

Ah-ah-ah...

womyn

Brian4Liberty
04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Ah-ah-ah...

womyn

You're being bossy.

;)

Carlybee
04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
That is because women are an inferior mechanical design. I had passed on many somethings that were microscopic in size; the female host was then infected with my DNA and, due to her poor design, passed something the size of a small watermelon rather than laying an egg, which would make more sense.

The only reason the design is inferior is in order to accommodate the male's um shortcomings...otherwise that watermelon would pass easy peasy. It's the man's fault. Don't argue with me. :p

FloralScent
04-25-2014, 03:17 PM
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlR6CdJtRWM&list=RDrwPg2oarG_c

That's the thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. :D

Bonus: In addition to being the funniest man on the planet he's also a libertarian.

James Madison
04-25-2014, 04:28 PM
You're being bossy.

;)

Doubleplus good, comrade.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Women are now the lazy ones, eh? Does this mean that evaluating one's industriousness based on race is no longer trendy?

juleswin
04-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Women are now the lazy ones, eh? Does this mean that evaluating one's industriousness based on race is no longer trendy?

Listen to what the man said instead of what the Huffpo headline thinks he said. I posted the audio in post #2. No where did he say women were the lazy ones.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Listen to what the man said instead of what the Huffpo headline thinks he said. I posted the audio in post #2. No where did he say women were the lazy ones.

I was actually just joking, in reference to the word lazy. You know, like colored people's work ethic, and shit like that. :/

Keith and stuff
04-25-2014, 10:45 PM
This is news? :toady:

It isn't news and it is a bunch of crap by statists in New Hampshire that are paid by out of state interests. They are worried that a lot of Republicans are going to win in New Hampshire in November and so they have started the lying season a little early this year.

Keith and stuff
04-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Headline is misleading.

Absolutely! Granite State Progress is funded by evil people that don't even live in New Hampshire. Their goal, as best as I can tell, is to watch the entire world burn down? They are evil people and are hellbent of destroying the good in the world. Truth is completely meaningless to them. They live for lies!

francisco
04-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Absolutely! Granite State Progress is funded by evil people that don't even live in New Hampshire. Their goal, as best as I can tell, is to watch the entire world burn down? They are evil people and are hellbent of destroying the good in the world. Truth is completely meaningless to them. They live for lies!

If it is any consolation, to see that others are similarly afflicted: On the opposite coast, there is a group known as "the 1000 Friends of Oregon", whose members largely don't live in Oregon, which exists to tell Oregonians how they should live.

fr33
04-25-2014, 11:39 PM
Good ol huffpo putting words in his mouth. Pretty much everything he actually said was correct.

Maybe he should get this young lady to speak to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f5gqROO2Zc

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-26-2014, 01:14 AM
Good ol huffpo putting words in his mouth. Pretty much everything he actually said was correct.

Maybe he should get this young lady to speak to them:

Ah feminism, the reason why I ultimately want to become a stay at home dad. Yes yes go out and be free working a crappy job overtime, while I sit at home and do whatever I want.

MelissaWV
04-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Ah feminism, the reason why I ultimately want to become a stay at home dad. Yes yes go out and be free working a crappy job overtime, while I sit at home and do whatever I want.

Then you will both be in for a pretty rude awakening, because if she isn't the smarter choice you'll all have less income (you did mention a crappy job), and you will find that sitting at home with a child or children generally does not lead to you doing whatever you want.

The income thing just makes me shake my head. If you were hiring someone to mow your lawn, you'd want someone qualified, with the proper equipment, at a decent price. You don't "hire" for jobs around your home without qualifications and finances in mind. So suddenly when there's a baby, people throw that entire thing out the window. How about you use your brains and figure it out? Does her job have maternity leave (some have weeks and weeks of it where she can stay home getting paid at full price, but on the flipside if she is hourly or part time or whatever... no dice)? Which of you makes more money? Which of your jobs is more stable? How much do each of you REALLY make (after taxes, commute costs, wardrobe costs, w/e)? Who's got the health insurance (although with Obama in charge, I am sure this is not a concern). If she's the one going back to work, are you okay as parents either pumping or using formula? Whose career is most easily re-entered after an extended absence (yes, this is a consideration now... ask any IT person who stayed at home for a few years then tried to get back into working)?

Fox McCloud
04-26-2014, 02:43 PM
When all variables are controlled and accounted for, the pay gap vanishes almost entirely (talking only a 1-2% difference or lower).

Even according to the BLS, itself, the difference is only ~5%; Obama and other's so called "88 cents to every $1" argument only arises when you compare every single job women hold vs every single job men hold; it's a blatant misuses of statistics and a horrendous use of political manipulation/bandwagonning to get support.

There's been numerous studies on the differences, and they generally find that aside from the whole baby thing, men tend to engage in riskier work, work longer hours, are willing to travel more, and are willing to sacrifice their "passion" for a job that pays well (this is on average).

Women, on average, tend to value stability and flexibility in the work place and typically seek a job they feel as more fulfilling...they'll even typically sacrifice a higher paying job for a lower paying one to get this, if necessary. This is easily demonstrated in men vs women that own their own business. Even in this realm, the men out-earn the women, largely in part because, again, the men tends to work longer hours (and how can you have discrimination when the woman is the owner/ultimate say in a business?)

So really, it's differences in what each sex tends to value (for whatever reason) and not really "discrimination". Again, if you control for all variables; same job, education, general area, years of employment, hours worked, whether they do or do not own the business or not, travel time, etc, and the "pay gap" disappears completely.

angelatc
04-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Can someone please summarize this thread for me? I don't feel like reading it all.

And bring me a glass of wine next time you're up, please!

osan
04-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Can someone please summarize this thread for me? I don't feel like reading it all.

And bring me a glass of wine next time you're up, please!

Damned lazy woman!

angelatc
04-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Damned lazy woman!

Misogynist!!! Racist!!!