PDA

View Full Version : What if the Polls are Right? - A Look at our current NH position.

jgmaynard
11-30-2007, 10:59 PM
OK, I posted this on a thread on grassroots that is quickly getting buried, but I put a lot of work into it, used a lot of real numbers, etc. and I think it provides an interesting look at where we are currently in NH. Tell me what you think:

NH is NOT your normal primary state by any strech of the imagination. For one thing, we will have over 40 candidates to choose from for President this year. Independents outnumber both parties by far and can vote in either primary. I've been involved in politics here for years.

The last contested Presidential primary in both parties was 2000. About 400,000 people voted out out what was then a population of around 1.2 million people (33% turnout).

Let's look at the actual results from 2000:

McCain, John R 115,606 48.53%
Bush, George W. R 72,330 30.36%
Forbes, "Steve" R 30,166 12.66%
Keyes, Alan Lee R 15,179 6.37%
Bauer, Gary R 1,640 0.69%
Hatch, Orrin G. R 163 0.07%

and a bunch scattered beneath that.

So that means that about 238,000 people voted in the 2000 Republican primary. Now, McCain won with 48% of the vote that time - that is simply not going to be needed or possible this time. The crowd is too evenly divided this time - Mitt, Ghouli and McCain are all formidable players here. I think that 30% should be able to take the primary this year (maybe 25, but let's say 30 to be safe).

With the rise in NH's population since 2000, let's say there will be 250,000 total R votes this time around. 30% of that is about 75k votes.

NH has a population of 1.3 million and is about 1/3 Republicans (429k) - Latest polls say we have 8% of R's now. That 429,000 * 0.08 = 34,300 potential R votes for Ron.

Independents make up 44% of NH or about 570k people. According to polls I've read, about 1/3 of I's are planning to vote in the R primary (that seems really low to me, but possible). That's 190,500 I voters in the R primary.
The real question is where we land in there (nearly every election in NH is decided by independents). IF the poll that said that we are getting 27% among I voters voting in the R primary is true (and that would not surprise me in the least), than that is about 51,500 I votes for Ron.

34,300 + 51,500 = 85,800 or a likely win with 34% of 250k R votes cast. That is assuming we get a 100% turnout.

That won't happen. But the notion is there. We are within reach of victory. Even if the polls that we believe are biased against us and/or out of date in many cases are right, and even if we don't grow at all in the next 5-6 weeks, we could still theoretically win NH if we got 100% turnout.

Gratz. Take a breath. :D

Now, about 400,000 people turned out to vote in 2000 out of 1.2M people at the time. That's a 33% turnout. We can likely expect our opponents to get a turnout of about that amount.

Even if we get a 66% turnout (high, but achievable), that's over 57,000 votes. That would likely not be enough for a win in NH, but it would get is second or third place with about 19%. Even that is enough to shake this raceup and propel Ron into top-tier status going into Nevada and Michigan - two states where his support is strongest. The idea that "He's can't win" would collapse overnight. Similar results or better in NV and MI and we are cruising into Super Tuesday flying high.

The only advantages I gave us in that analysis were:
That we get 27% of the vote of I's voting in the R primary and no one else gets a huge plurality of those votes (and not only does that sound possible to me, it sounds about right, or even better for us).
That we get twice the turnout of the other candidates. Romney will be paying for buses. We are going to have to start discussing QUICKLY how to get people out - especially college students. But it can be done and we have the best candidate to make it happen.

That gives the MSM and pollsters all the other advantages and uses their own numbers.

The ring is within reach all ready. All we have to do is to reach out a little bit more...

JM

margomaps
11-30-2007, 11:43 PM
I read your whole post -- really I did.

But I believe the campaign has said it can win with 40,000-45,000 votes in the primary. Don't ask me where they came up with those numbers. :)

jgmaynard
12-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I really doubt it - That would be well below 20%. Only Ron, Romney, Ghouli and McCain are going really strong in the state (I hope to have some interesting news on that soon), so if the rest get a few percent each, it is POSSIBLE that 20% or less can take it, but I still like using 25-30% to be sure. That means 75K votes - but as I showed above, it is already WELL within reach.

JM

dircha
12-01-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't want to go dig up the poll (a recent IA/NH CBS poll I believe), but as I recall something like 35% of likely Republican primary voters in New Hampshire want us out of Iraq within the next 2 years or less, and believe that we are better off staying out of other Middle Eastern countries than invading them.

We ought to be able to get substantially more than 8% of likely Republican primary voters if we can get our message out there, because the war is still the #1 issue, and we are the only campaign with a message of getting out of Iraq and staying out of other Middle Eastern countries. We should be able to get every bit of that 35%.

mmink15
12-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Great post
Bottom line is that every vote counts

c0unterph0bia
12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Excellent thread, very uplifting.

Maz2331
12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Remember, the margin between front-runners and Paul is not exactly that wide. Nobody has been able to take a commanding lead, and momentum shows that support for Rudy is dropping and Paul rising.

A double percentage of turnout is enough for a win.

Primbs
12-05-2007, 12:22 AM
This is why we need the blimp to shake up the race. Plus it will shake up our competition as they try to counteract the effects of the Blimp.

The opponents now have to deal with a targeted blimp energizing our supporters and creating awareness in Ron Paul.

The Blimp will have no other advertising competitor in this advertising space. Ron Paul will dominate the skies.

While the voters will be deluged in mailers, TV ads, radio and annoying phone calls, Ron Paul will have the skies to himself.

xao
12-05-2007, 12:50 AM
This is why we need the blimp to shake up the race. Plus it will shake up our competition as they try to counteract the effects of the Blimp.

The opponents now have to deal with a targeted blimp energizing our supporters and creating awareness in Ron Paul.

The Blimp will have no other advertising competitor in this advertising space. Ron Paul will dominate the skies.

While the voters will be deluged in mailers, TV ads, radio and annoying phone calls, Ron Paul will have the skies to himself.

Hahaha cool!

jgmaynard
12-07-2007, 11:39 AM
A double percentage of turnout is enough for a win.

Maybe you meant that doubling their turnout is enough for a win? That would be close, but possible according to those numbers.

You didn't just mean double digits for us, right? Cause as you see above, we need to expect them to get a 33% turnout.

JM

roversaurus
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Instead of using Buses to get people to the Polls in New Hampshire,
How about using the Blimp?

Now I know it isn't really going to get many people to the polls but
media coverage like that would really be big.

:)