PDA

View Full Version : Swatting Hoax On Long Island Caused By Game's Loser

phill4paul
04-23-2014, 08:02 AM
A police SWAT team descended on a Long Island, N.Y., home Tuesday under the belief that a teen had shot and killed his mother and brother and was ready to kill again -- only to learn that the call was a hoax triggered by the loser of a video game.

It's a prank called "swatting," in which people try to get law enforcement to respond in force to a fabricated threat.

In this case, the authorities believe the loser of a game of "Call of Duty" found the winner's home by looking up his IP address, police sources told The New York Post. Then, he called the cops and claimed to be 17-year-old Rafael Castillo, of Long Beach, N.Y.

“I just killed my mother and I might shoot more people,” the hoaxster reportedly said.

Some 70 law enforcement officers responded to the scene, some with guns drawn. Police surrounded the home, called for the teen to come out and even called him on his cellphone, but he continued to play video games.

He had headphones on and apparently couldn't hear the commotion outside or his phone.

His mother, 54-year-old Maria Castillo, was making coffee in the kitchen when she saw police fan out across the front lawn.

“He told me, ‘Go out! Go out!’” the LI Herald reported. “I [said], ‘What happened?’ They said, ‘Somebody killed somebody in your house.’ I told the police my kid’s home, my kid’s on the computer. He don’t know what happened.”

Eventually, police realized they had been pranked.

“In this … bizarre world of swatting, you get points for the helicopter, for the police cars, for the SWAT team, for the type of entry,” Michael Tangney, Long Beach police commissioner, told CBS New York. “It’s very sophisticated. Unfortunately, it’s very dangerous.”

Police are trying to identify the hoaxster, who called using Skype.

“It was probably just an evil little kid,” one officer told the Post.

Police told the Herald that the response cost somewhere around $100,000.

“If we determine who made this call, there will be an arrest,” Tangney told the Herald. “He did something so, so foolish, and so dangerous. I’m very angry -- it’s a tremendous waste of taxpayer resources, it’s a tremendous danger to law enforcement.”

As for the boy's mother, it seems like she's had enough of the game.

"The kid played too much," she told WPIX. "Go work. He's 17, he can work."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/call-of-duty-swatting-hoax_n_5195659.html

specsaregood
04-23-2014, 08:10 AM
It seems to me; this could be directly linked to this ruling:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?450329-Clarence-Thomas-vs-Antonin-Scalia-on-4th-Amendment-and-Reasonable-Suspicion

thoughtomator
04-23-2014, 08:15 AM
In this case, the authorities believe the loser of a game of "Call of Duty" found the winner's home by looking up his IP address

Unless he has inside access at the ISP or some other source of information to cross-reference the IP with name and address information, that is a technical non sequitur.

The cops are lying.

CaseyJones
04-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Unless he has inside access at the ISP or some other source of information to cross-reference the IP with name and address information, that is a technical non sequitur.

The cops are lying.

ya I was gonna say...

V3n
04-23-2014, 08:21 AM

The cops are lying.

Yeah, this doesn't make sense. At most the prankster could find the IP address of the other player's carrier - you could narrow it down to a city, but not a single home address. Unless that family was paying business rates for a static IP, which is highly unlikely!

edit: He might have known the kids full name if they play a lot together (play a lot, become Facebook friends) - or found his gamertag online somewhere where he gave away his real name - then once he had the IP, all he had to say was "My name is Rafael Castillo, of Long Beach, N.Y." then let the Long Beach cops find the address...

pcosmar
04-23-2014, 08:59 AM
The cops are lying.

And if they had shot someone when entering,,, What story would they tell?

CPUd
04-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Yeah, this doesn't make sense. At most the prankster could find the IP address of the other player's carrier - you could narrow it down to a city, but not a single home address. Unless that family was paying business rates for a static IP, which is highly unlikely!

edit: He might have known the kids full name if they play a lot together (play a lot, become Facebook friends) - or found his gamertag online somewhere where he gave away his real name - then once he had the IP, all he had to say was "My name is Rafael Castillo, of Long Beach, N.Y." then let the Long Beach cops find the address...

Kids today are really loose with their personal info.

Henry Rogue
04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
“It was probably just an evil little kid,” one officer told the Post.Using a very EVIL tool.

“If we determine who made this call, there will be an arrest,” Tangney told the Herald. “He did something so, so foolish, and so dangerous. I’m very angry -- it’s a tremendous waste of taxpayer resources, it’s a tremendous danger to law enforcement.”
WTF, It's tremendously dangerous to the people that get swatted.

Pericles
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
WTF, It's tremendously dangerous to the people that get swatted.

Who cares about them? Certainly not their "betters".

Philhelm
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
And if they had shot someone when entering,,, What story would they tell?

Meth lab.

BamaAla
04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Most of the comments on the HuffPo article are decent. There is one hag who blames private gun ownership, but all in all, they're not bad.

jtap
04-24-2014, 06:56 AM
This is what happens when you break rule #1: Don't call the cops.

jtap
04-24-2014, 06:58 AM
...it’s a tremendous waste of taxpayer resources, it’s a tremendous danger to law enforcement.”

Yes, so dangerous to the law enforcement with the weapons and swat gear...how about the people whose house they went to and THEIR DOG?

Edit: Stupid me, I just realized they must not have a dog or it would surely be dead.