PDA

View Full Version : Snowden to Critics: Questioning Putin Has Opened Conversation About Surveillance

DamianTV
04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/04/21/0422239/snowden-to-critics-questioning-putin-has-opened-conversation-about-surveillance

The Guardian carries Edward Snowden's detailed rebuttal to critics who say that his recent live-TV interaction with Vladimir Putin, in which Snowden asked whether the Russian government was engaged in spying on Russian citizens' communications, was a scripted moment intended to curry or maintain favor with Putin. After all, Snowden is currently living in Russia, where he has been granted only temporary harbor, goes this argument, so he is at the mercy of the Russian government, and has just gamely thrown Putin a softball. (Slashdot reader Rambo Tribble said the exchange had a "canned quality," a sentiment widely echoed.) Snowden writes that, far from being a whitewash of actual policies by the Russian government, his question ("Does [your country] intercept, analyse or store millions of individuals' communications?") "was intended to mirror the now infamous exchange in US Senate intelligence committee hearings between senator Ron Wyden and the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, about whether the NSA collected records on millions of Americans, and to invite either an important concession or a clear evasion"; he decribes Putin's answer as a combination of inconsistent denial and evasion. Snowden writes:

"I blew the whistle on the NSA's surveillance practices not because I believed that the United States was uniquely at fault, but because I believe that mass surveillance of innocents – the construction of enormous, state-run surveillance time machines that can turn back the clock on the most intimate details of our lives – is a threat to all people, everywhere, no matter who runs them. Last year, I risked family, life, and freedom to help initiate a global debate that even Obama himself conceded 'will make our nation stronger.' I am no more willing to trade my principles for privilege today than I was then. I understand the concerns of critics, but there is a more obvious explanation for my question than a secret desire to defend the kind of policies I sacrificed a comfortable life to challenge: if we are to test the truth of officials' claims, we must first give them an opportunity to make those claims."

Quick summary: Snowden asked Putin if he spies on the Russian people the same way as the US Govt spies on all American citizens. The question Snowden asked was basically the same question that was asked of Clapper, where Clapper lied and said "no, we dont spy". Snowden, a few days after publicly asking the same question of Putin came back out and said he doesnt believe Putins answers. Welcome to Act 3 where the citizens of every country now ask their own leaders "do you spy on us"?

Snowden deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.