PDA

View Full Version : i have a friend who believes this blog is true:

haaaylee
11-30-2007, 09:47 PM
http://wwsword.blogspot.com/2007/11/ron-pauls-poliitical-positions.html

now, a friend and i attempted to talk to her about it, and we got this repsonse:

*You can gather stem cells now with the new technology with out actually destroying the embryo. Read up on the research that's is happening in the field and don't believe what you hear from politicians and/or the mass media.
-The sad thing is that since there isn't federal funded money to help further the advancement of stem cell research, it's being left up to the private corporations. By doing so, if anything is found that can help cure or prevent diseases, then the private corp can then patent the solution. Since the infomation is then held by a private orgainization and not public, then those findings will never be released to the product to further scientific research that isn't based on monateray ideas. Ron Paul wants to leave it up for free market, it just doesn't work. Look at pharamsuticles now adays, they ridiculously expensive when they really don't cost all that much to produce.

*I do agree that there needs to be a revamping of the doe and to minimize the beuracy that is going on. Too many copies of too many papers. Yet, eliminating and leaving it up to the parent to provide opprotunities for better schools is outrageous. Every school in it's right should be equal to every other school.
-What alot of people don't understand that public education is left up to the states, for the most part. Public education in the state of TX is based .. taxes. Hence the reason kids in katy (who have a high property tax base) gets a better education then some kid down in Brownsville. It shouldn't depend on where the kid is located if he/she is going to recieve the best education. It's not their fault that they're born in a family that has hardship. It's the government's (state and federal) to assure equal opprotunity to the children of the nation to recieve equal education possibilties (which should be better than par.)

*..ion: The only reason why abortion ever came to the federal level was because someone wanted to make a constitutional admendment to ban it. The supreme court ruled that it doesn't have the power to say so (orginally). I do not believe it's a government issue either way, it should be left up to the adult (deemed by what age in whatever state) to decide if they want to have the option or not.

I am all for contitutionalism. If you actually look into the constitution and history, you'll see where, how and why the federal government has had the power to step into state affairs. Just look at civil rights, it was left up to the states to apply ethical issues on what they saw fit. But When the south were not taking the most humane approach and instituting laws based on race, congress had the constitutional right to step in because it had to do with commerce.

As for leaving it up to the states to decide, just go review your histroy books and find out why there was a need in shift from state surpremcy to federal and why in the begining when all the soveringty was left to the states, it just didn't work. (cough::articles of confederation::cough)

Tell you friend, that you spoke with, that she really needs to go read her history books and find out how constitution has evolved over the years and the impact of each major event. Also go tell her to research what stem cells are, and how they actually gathered from embryos. Tell her to research why Tell her she needs to be informed before she starts speaking out.

Your friend is just like every other "well-informed" person in the Texas.

ANY HELP?

forsmant
11-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Schools will never be equal unless we clone all the teachers!

Patents can expire. And patents are counter free market anyway. They allow what is essentially a monopoly.

bbachtung
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
That person is a moron. You'll never win them over; don't waste your time. Anyone who thinks that the Constitution "evolves," "lives," or "breathes" needs therapy.

I will address just the first point re: federal funding of stem cell research being the only thing that will prevent the evil corporations of the world from stealing our diabetes medicine. California recently (a little over a year ago) passed a statewide initiative that puts billions of dollars into public-funding of stem cell research.

haaaylee
11-30-2007, 11:11 PM
i'd like to have good words to say back to her about her final statements about history proving state's rights don't work, and her idea that therefore the federal government had to come in and fix everything.

Jason T
12-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Pseudo-intellectuals love to tear apart his voting record w/o actually knowing what's going on. (ie) I still hear people saying he's a racist for voting no to honor Rosa Parks, when he actually donated his own money on behalf of the taxpayers.

And it's kind of sad that people have literally forgotten how a free market works nowadays. We have been under corporatism for too long.

Either way, who the hell are these people voting for? Yes, Ron Paul isn't perfect, but these candidates people compare him against are figments of their imagination.

/shrug People can't fathom how different just opening our boarders to foreign drugs will be (which Paul wants to do.) That is the main reason why US drug companies have the clout to squeeze wallets dry. That is the difference between corporatism and a free market.

angelatc
12-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I've been telling people for two years that adult cells offered far more hope than embryonic stem cells because their is a huge issue of rejection in the embryonic research. It is exactly the same issue that people have when they get an organ tranplant. I almost cheered when I saw the headlines.