PDA

View Full Version : I'm 18 and I want to know if I really have to register for selective service?

Vanguard101
04-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I don't wanna do it :(

Will it look really bad if I don't? My dad was talking to me about it today and he said if I don't register, it might hurt me eventually. Especially since I'm interested in politics.

pcosmar
04-20-2014, 07:58 PM

Then don't.

But then, don't ask the government for anything.

Vanguard101
04-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Then don't.

But then, don't ask the government for anything.
Like?

Anti Federalist
04-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Like?

Student loans, government hand outs, that kind of thing

kcchiefs6465
04-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Student loans, government hand outs, that kind of thing
... voting, driver's license.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
if it was mandatory they wouldn't even ask you to do it, just automatically sign you up

kcchiefs6465
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
if it was mandatory they wouldn't even ask you to do it, just automatically sign you up
I think they do, actually.

If you go to get a driver's license, sign up for student loans, or register to vote.

As well as many other things, probably.

eduardo89
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, it's the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode50a/usc_sec_50a_00000453----000-.html

KCIndy
04-20-2014, 08:18 PM
I have a vague recollection of registering when I was 18. I was already in college and if I remember right, I used the address where I was living at the moment.

That was about 12 "moves" ago. Even if they were desperate enough to want to draft my fat 40-something ass, I wonder if they would be able to find me? :D

Danke
04-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes, it's the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode50a/usc_sec_50a_00000453----000-.html

He should just save the step and enlist now.

KCIndy
04-20-2014, 08:25 PM
More to the point...

Vanguard101, as much as I oppose any notion of the draft/selective service, I'm personally of the opinion that one must pick one's battles. If you really want to fight it, see if you can get the ACLU or other civil rights organization to back you in a court challenge.

Otherwise, IMHO the pragmatic view is to just go ahead and register, since it will save you a lot of legal crap in the short run. The whole "Selective Service" thing is nothing but a steaming pile of bullcrap anyway. Its existence today serves only to employ a bunch of useless government bureaucratic duds who couldn't find a job in the private sector if their lives depended on it.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-20-2014, 08:26 PM
More to the point...

Vanguard101, as much as I oppose any notion of the draft/selective service, I'm personally of the opinion that one must pick one's battles. If you really want to fight it, see if you can get the ACLU or other civil rights organization to back you in a court challenge.

Otherwise, IMHO the pragmatic view is to just go ahead and register, since it will save you a lot of legal crap in the short run. The whole "Selective Service" thing is nothing but a steaming pile of bullcrap anyway. Its existence today serves only to employ a bunch of useless government bureaucratic duds who couldn't find a job in the private sector if their lives depended on it.
ya, worry about the fighting if there actually is a draft

KCIndy
04-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Seriously, in today's computerized world, what's the use of the Selective Service department?

If the government wanted to kidnap a bunch of young men, their identities, ages, and addresses could be pulled up in seconds from Social Security records. I won't even start to add all the private data mining companies which would happily sell the government specific identifications of everyone in the government wanted to draft.

Selective Service is just one more government jobs program for all the lazy lardass duds who would rather leech off the public than find jobs where they could actually produce something useful.

oyarde
04-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Will it look really bad if I don't? My dad was talking to me about it today and he said if I don't register, it might hurt me eventually. Especially since I'm interested in politics.

Why is it you wish not too ?

RJB
04-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Internet forum lawyers are always worth the fees they charge ;)

oyarde
04-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Obviously , I can see why someone would not wish to be drafted . But , I see no advantage in not filling out the form . If you do and they wanted to issue draft notices , they will send them to that address . You could always send them back , buy a little time while you consider options . Otherwise , if you are working a regular job , have taxes withheld ,file taxes etc , they have your SS number, know your age and know where to find you .

kcchiefs6465
04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Obviously , I can see why someone would not wish to be drafted . But , I see no advantage in not filling out the form . If you do and they wanted to issue draft notices , they will send them to that address . You could always send them back , buy a little time while you consider options . Otherwise , if you are working a regular job , have taxes withheld ,file taxes etc , they have your SS number, know your age and know where to find you .
Not to mention, people have been hanged for their advice.

Fill out the paper. Do what's in your heart if they ever call.

They know anyways.

oyarde
04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Internet lawyers are always worth the fees they charge ;)

:) I only give out free perspectives here and for my hourly guys @ work. Everyone else has to stop by the house on Sun afternoon with beer.

Natural Citizen
04-20-2014, 09:04 PM
My son got his selective service card in the mail automatically through no effort of his own. It just showed up one day shortly after his 18th birthday.

heavenlyboy34
04-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I agree with the previous answers^^ If they try to draft you, find a way to get a religious or disability exemption. Muhammed Ali did it, so can you. (He got convicted for draft evasion (http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/May-June-08/On-this-Day--Muhammad-Ali-Convicted-of-Draft-Evasion.html), but nowadays you can probably get a way out with a clever lawyer)

NorthCarolinaLiberty
04-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Ask them if signing up with Cliven Bundy counts.

angelatc
04-20-2014, 09:20 PM
I tried to keep my son from registering and I looked into it. Nobody has been prosecuted for not signing up, but you can't get student loans if you haven't signed up. I had not heard that you couldn't get a driver's license in some states, but you will be prohibited from getting any federal job and some state jobs.

Illegal immigrants can get these jobs, but not you. Obama made it to President without signing up, but you're not him.

After you're 26, if you explain that you didnt sign up because you didn't know you had to, and you never got the letters because your Mom the peacenik threw them all away, you never saw the notices in the halls at school, you never went to the post office and saw the notices there....then you MIGHT be able to get our privileges back. But there's no guarantee.

oyarde
04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Ask them if signing up with Cliven Bundy counts.

Doubt it , but while I know little about it , my home State has a Guard Reserve , ( I know one guy in it , my Stock Broker ). It is a State Defense and they are not deployed or eligible to be deployed. It is under the Govenor by State Law . It does not make you exempt from Fed draft , but I doubt you ever would be . Criteria is , age 18 -65 , no felony convictions , no pending criminal case and no conviction for desertion. That's it . They drill one Sat a month , 2 1/2 days for fall tour in Sept at Atterbury .

oyarde
04-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Forgot to mention :) , it is unpaid , with no benefits ,except mileage , I imagine , in time of draft , the local draft board is not sending you .

oyarde
04-20-2014, 09:36 PM
I tried to keep my son from registering and I looked into it. Nobody has been prosecuted for not signing up, but you can't get student loans if you haven't signed up. I had not heard that you couldn't get a driver's license in some states, but you will be prohibited from getting any federal job and some state jobs.

Illegal immigrants can get these jobs, but not you. Obama made it to President without signing up, but you're not him.

After you're 26, if you explain that you didnt sign up because you didn't know you had to, and you never got the letters because your Mom the peacenik threw them all away, you never saw the notices in the halls at school, you never went to the post office and saw the notices there....then you MIGHT be able to get our privileges back. But there's no guarantee.

Only place I ever saw them was at the Post Office , but my Son's did get them in the mail.

jkob
04-20-2014, 09:38 PM
It's not really worth the trouble not to do it, I don't think anybody actually keeps their information up to date tho.

RJB
Here's some advice for getting out of the draft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

oyarde

Obama could not qualify for the military security clearance I had at 18 .

oyarde
04-20-2014, 09:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

I used to listen to it on vinyl every Thanks giving after returning home from hunting , before dinner . It was always particularily funny to me .When younger , my Dad would go through any garbage bags he found that anyone dumped on the farm, find the name and address , look them up in the phonebook , call them . He would say , if you get out here today and pick it up, I will not call the Sherriff . He never mentioned that he was the County Clerk.

RJB
04-20-2014, 09:50 PM
.When younger , my Dad would go through any garbage bags he found that anyone dumped on the farm, find the name and address , look them up in the phonebook , call them . He would say , if you get out here today and pick it up, I will not call the Sherriff .

Did anyone get out of the draft?

On a serious note I hear ya. I grew up in a rural area. My family owns land on a creek. In the old days everyone from town swam in it-- no prob. Suddenly in the late 60s it seemed like everyone would throw all their beer cans in the creek. Since then, none of the farmers let people swim.

oyarde
04-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Yes, it's the law.

Do they have this in Mexico ? Seems I recall they did at one time .

pcosmar
04-20-2014, 09:51 PM

I don't want a pickle.

surf
04-20-2014, 10:52 PM
ya, worry about the fighting if there actually is a draftCanada is a good place to worry about it.

NoOneButPaul
04-20-2014, 10:53 PM
I did not sign up.

Then when I was 19 years old I applied for a tuition credit for volunteer work I did for the university and they rejected it based on the fact I had not signed up.

At some point they get you.

DevilsAdvocate
04-20-2014, 11:58 PM
Yes, you have to. You are going to need student loans to get through college (realistically), so you're going to have to bite the bullet and sign up. It's part of living in America. Be grateful that you don't live in Israel or some other nation that mandates 2 years of military service.

But don't worry too much, it's all just a game. If they start up a draft and you don't believe in the cause, you can always just run to Canada or something. (At least that's what I told myself when I signed up 5 years ago)

CPUd
04-21-2014, 01:14 AM
Canada is a good place to worry about it.

Without draft dodging, we wouldn't have Heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHZfjTgqb8

Vanguard101
04-21-2014, 01:37 AM
I was only really worried on how this might affect me based on what my dad said.

Weston White
04-21-2014, 02:17 AM
It is required under federal law, additionally, not registering prohibits one from federal employment—funny story, President “Obama” has himself never registered.

Just keep in mind that military drafts are only intended for imminent threats to America (e.g., foreign invasions), it is not for aiding other nation’s civil wars and the like: “The Congress declares that an adequate armed strength must be achieved and maintained to insure the security of this Nation.”

kcchiefs6465
04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
It is required under federal law, additionally, not registering prohibits one from federal employment—funny story, President “Obama” has himself never registered.

Just keep in mind that military drafts are only intended for imminent threats to America (e.g., foreign invasions), it is not for aiding other nation’s civil wars and the like: “The Congress declares that an adequate armed strength must be achieved and maintained to insure the security of this Nation.”
Right. :rolleyes:

MRK
04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Keep in mind, you don't actually have to do anything the government's petty tyrants say. The world is in a state of anarchy; whether the regime is able to enforce its rules on you is highly variable. The existence of some psychologically dominant mafia does not preclude the anarchic nature of the world.

I think I am registered for the selective service, but I am certain I would never allow myself to be conscripted. They'd really have to shoot me first, because they'd never be able to corral me into a barracks otherwise. If they start shooting over refusal for involuntary murder servitude, they will not be able to maintain the public image legitimacy that is fundamental to the regime's existence.

angelatc
04-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I was only really worried on how this might affect me based on what my dad said.

I would not worry about the Secret Service police coming to get you, but there are indeed consequences that can follow you around for your entire life.

ZENemy
04-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Lucky me I never signed up for this, that is mainly because I never got one. Around that age, I lived in an apartment, nothing but junk mail 24/7, I'm guessing it was tossed out with the junk mail.

V3n
04-21-2014, 12:30 PM
I tried to keep my son from registering and I looked into it....

...After you're 26, if you explain that you didnt sign up because you didn't know you had to, and you never got the letters because your Mom the peacenik threw them all away...

I see what you did there... ;) :p

thoughtomator
04-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Obama may not have registered, but that doesn't mean he didn't have the decency to forge a selective service form in his name.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/12/obamas-back-dated-forged-selective-service-form-hits-washington-times-full-page-ad/

muh_roads
04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Why is it you wish not too ?

Because he probably doesn't want to be on a list for when another banker war is "needed".

Quark
04-21-2014, 12:43 PM
I registered, but if they tried to cull me into their slavery I will not comply. There are many aspects of the government's claim over my body which I do comply with, out of convenience and self-preservation, but the slavery that is the draft is not one I would. I'd rather rot in their cages than become their slave and help do their dirty work. However, if there were ever a real threat to my family, friends, my property, and/or myself I would happily volunteer to fight the aggressors against these things. If a draft is required that just means the people don't support the warmongering and aggression of the government which pleads itself to be benevolent and "of the people." But I've learned enough to realize how such irony is commonplace in the projection we call the state.

jbauer
04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
I have a vague recollection of registering when I was 18. I was already in college and if I remember right, I used the address where I was living at the moment.

That was about 12 "moves" ago. Even if they were desperate enough to want to draft my fat 40-something ass, I wonder if they would be able to find me? :D

You're probably right. As long as you don't have a bank account, a credit card, a vehicle, any type of loan, utilities, rent or own a place to live in or have filed taxes since then.

jbauer
04-21-2014, 01:09 PM

I hear David Letterman is quitting. Maybe you could have a future career in comedy?

eduardo89
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM

19 states require Selective Service registration as a condition of getting a drivers license.

Illegal immigrants can get these jobs, but not you.

Illegal aliens must also register for Selective Service.

angelatc
04-21-2014, 01:55 PM
19 states require Selective Service registration as a condition of getting a drivers license.

Legal aliens do, but why would illegal aliens need to?

ZENemy
04-21-2014, 02:15 PM

Which states? I have a DL and I did NOT sign up. I live in CA.

TheGrinch
04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
They rarely care about fulfilling all their obligations to us, so this is not an obligation that I plan to fulfill either. MRK made a good point that, if the government has to be overly forceful on the matter, then they will lose their legitimacy. They are aware that they have to instead influence public opinion to gain recruits, and can't push much harder than making you have to flee to Canada if you refuse.

But what it really comes down to for me is to choose your battles. Will your stand contribute to more positive influence than it will personal damage? Perhaps you don't plan to ever need to ask for anything from the government (though they've made that extremely difficult), but is the stand worth ensuring you never can? As idealistic as we may be, we still have to live our lives. We did not create this broken system, so it should not always be our duty to bear the brunt of the suffering unless it can actually help bring real change. Sometimes in life you have to do what you have to do when the ideal choice isn't available.

Plus, with it being federal law, they can probably choose to enforce it on even non-signees should a draft situation arise, so I'm not sure that declining to sign it does anything to stop them from doing it anyway.

That said, it's up to that person if civil disobedience is necessary and worthwhile, just saying you need to determine if it is.

oyarde
04-21-2014, 11:00 PM
Because he probably doesn't want to be on a list for when another banker war is "needed".

Not filling out a form is not going to prevent that .

Weston White
04-22-2014, 12:21 AM
I hear David Letterman is quitting. Maybe you could have a future career in comedy?

Most definitely, if you do not stand up for your own causes, those serving on behalf of your government will gladly runneth over.

fr33
04-22-2014, 12:23 AM
... voting, driver's license.

Not true. You can do both without signing up for selective service. I did it.

oyarde
04-22-2014, 12:31 AM

Not positive , but I think it is a state thing . I am old , but I know there was no draft registration for a drivers license in my home state . A lot of young people today , depending on where they are , may be registered without even knowing it , the rest probably have payroll deducted taxes or gubmit student loans , so, they are not getting over on anyone if they decide to find them .....

Weston White
04-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Just a thought, something I was thinking. Is anybody aware of any legislative references, or historical contexts, of drafts pertaining to organizing or staffing state militias?

Such being the only power specified in the U.S. Constitution, in detail (i.e., state militias are not the Army or Navy, including the Marines and Air Force):

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

oyarde
04-22-2014, 12:46 AM

What did your Dad tell you ?

DamianTV
04-22-2014, 01:17 AM
@OP

Think of it this way. Does someone else have a Right to infringe upon your Rights? Do they OWN you? Are you their property? Im not just talking US Constitution, but Human Rights in general. The only thing other people can do is choose to respect your Rights, or choose not to.

kcchiefs6465
04-22-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure they automatically sign you up when you fill out the paperwork. I vaguely recall them mentioning that to me or reading a disclaimer that that was the case.

Eduardo mentioned something about 19 states having that requirement, perhaps Ohio was one of them.

It's been a few years so I don't really remember. I never went out of my way to fill out Selective Service papers but am positive that I am registered. How exactly that happened I have little recollection of.

mczerone
04-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Without draft dodging, we wouldn't have Heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHZfjTgqb8

Thanks. For the first time in my life I have a reason to disdain draft-dodgers.

angelatc
04-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I've often wondered why the Libertarians are so prone to say, "Oh just sign up" when this question comes up. It means you can't borrow government money, and can't get a government job...so?

kcchiefs6465
04-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I've often wondered why the Libertarians are so prone to say, "Oh just sign up" when this question comes up. It means you can't borrow government money, and can't get a government job...so?
Those are not the only repercussions. At least, as far as I understand it. I could be mistaken though.

I'm not going anywhere. That's why I don't think it is that big of a deal to sign up.

AFPVet
04-22-2014, 09:16 AM
If you have already signed on the dotted line for "active duty" military or a military officer academy, you don't need to unless you get out before the age of 26. Once you turn 26, you are exempt.

What you "benefit" from by entering into selective service?
https://www.sss.gov/sssyou/sssyou.htm

student financial aid, government employment, employment with the U.S. Postal Service, job training, and U.S. citizenship for male immigrants.

It sounds like most people could live without that LOL :p

JK/SEA
04-22-2014, 10:26 AM
the answers you seek are here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXZcJojTucg

Pericles
04-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Just a thought, something I was thinking. Is anybody aware of any legislative references, or historical contexts, of drafts pertaining to organizing or staffing state militias?

Such being the only power specified in the U.S. Constitution, in detail (i.e., state militias are not the Army or Navy, including the Marines and Air Force):

The Militia Act of 1792 starts off thus:

I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every ..... male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act. ...... That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, ........ and every citizen so enrolled, and providing himself with the arms, ammunition and accoutrements, required as aforesaid, shall hold the same exempted from all suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes.

I never registered, but my case was unusual.

oyarde
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
The Militia Act of 1792 starts off thus:

I. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, That each and every ..... male citizen of the respective States, resident therein, who is or shall be of age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia, by the Captain or Commanding Officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this Act. ...... That every citizen, so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter, provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, ........ and every citizen so enrolled, and providing himself with the arms, ammunition and accoutrements, required as aforesaid, shall hold the same exempted from all suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes.

I never registered, but my case was unusual.

I never registered as well , but my circumstances were probably rare as well . On the other side , I am over the age limit for that militia :) and down to just one good belt and no bayonet. Lots of rifles ,tomahawks , machetes , ice picks and bowies though.LOL. I like the tax exemption though .

Pericles
04-22-2014, 11:27 AM
I never registered as well , but my circumstances were probably rare as well . On the other side , I am over the age limit for that militia :) and down to just one good belt and no bayonet. Lots of rifles ,tomahawks , machetes , ice picks and bowies though.LOL. I like the tax exemption though .

In some states, you are still subject to militia duty to age 60, but the Samuel Whittemore types have no age limit.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/whittemore.html

angelatc
04-22-2014, 02:06 PM
If you have already signed on the dotted line for "active duty" military or a military officer academy, you don't need to unless you get out before the age of 26. Once you turn 26, you are exempt.

But googling it, I found a couple of guys who were older than 26 and couldn't get student loans because they had not signed up back in the day.

ZENemy
04-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Me as well, in CA.

DamianTV
04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
I did sign and actually joined the Military for a while, back when I was young and did not have a clue that our Military acted on behalf of Bankers, not the protection of the People. I also joined for an education, during peace time.

However, this was all by my CHOICE. And that is what is taken away for many, is the CHOICE to enlist or not. As a nation, we are quickly becoming Nazi Germany. Our choice to not support the insane actions of our politicians and those they truly represent is gone, as is our Freedom to choose anything for ourselves. "Fight for the 'Enemy' or DIE" Those are quickly becoming our choices. If our Govt was actually behaving in a manner that is befitting of the "Leaders of the FREE World", our Govt would have no problem getting people to volunteer for Military Service. The more that they practice this Military Interventionism, act as the World Police, and continue to abuse the power of our Military, the less people that will volunteer, and the more that FORCE is needed to keep the Military alive and strong.

The attitudes of many of our own citizens has changed. We used to look on our Veterans as heroes. We used to look at Cops as Peacekeepers. But many of our own people look at Vets as second class citizens. "Its okay and expected for you to die for my beliefs, but when you need my help, I wont lift a finger." Then we've damn near completely militarized our Police, and we see where that has gotten us. At least around here, many do not trust Cops at all. I had to deal with some last night, and that had the potential to be a total non incident, but there was an overwhelming potential to go sideways, so I intervened and prevented anything from happening, but this is all off the point. If anyone there believed we did not have the respect of the other, that lack of respect would have caused the whole situation to go sideways. If the dogs did not believe the cops respected them or I believed that the cops did not respect me, it could have been a problem. This general expectation that violence is the only way for solving problems, then those that maintain that belief are the source of the problem.

Violence is no solution. And forcing people to volunteer violence, such as mandatory military enlistment, the only result can be more violence.

eduardo89
04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Do they have this in Mexico ? Seems I recall they did at one time .

We have conscription in Mexico. You're supposed to register for military service at 18. I never did it, even though I would be exempt for having dual-citizenship.

eduardo89
04-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Legal aliens do, but why would illegal aliens need to?

The law is that almost every single male residing in the United States, legally or illegally, must register. The only exceptions are foreigners who are in the US on non-immigrant visas.

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male immigrants living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

A chart of who must register is also available. (http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart.pdf)

NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required to register, including undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male non-citizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - Chart . (http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart.pdf)

http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm

Danke
04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Yes it could preclude you from getting some government privileges (loans, employment, etc.).

But it is not "The Law" for We The People.

Look up the definitions of "Person," "Individual" etc.

It doesn't pertain to most Americans.

Has anyone heard of the 13th Amendment?

Involuntary Servitude?

The Supreme Court has ruled if a "law" (really a corporate statue in most cases) is in contradiction to the Constitution, it is not law.

eduardo89
04-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Here is a list of states that require Selective Service registration for certain things:

Alabama: Requires Selective Service registration to be eligible to enter institutions of higher learning. Registration is also required as a prerequisite for state employment and promotion. This legislation was signed by Gov. Guy Hunt in 1991 and became on effective Jan. 1, 1992. On Oct. 1, 2001, an Alabama law became effective requiring men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. Don Siegelman signed this legislation on May 17, 2001.

Alaska: Requires men to register with the Selective Service System as a precondition to state employment, to receive state financial aid for school, and unique to Alaska, to receive a permanent fund dividend. Signed by Gov. Tony Knowles on June 27, 2002, this bill became effective on January 1, 2004.

Arizona: Requires registration as a condition for state financial aid for school as well as a precondition for state employment. Signed by Gov. Rose Mofford in 1988. On April 24, 2003, Gov. Janet Napolitano signed into law a bill that requires Arizona men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 1, 2003.

Arkansas: Requires registration as a condition for receiving a state education loan, scholarship, or other state financial assistance. Signed into law by Gov. Bill Clinton on Feb. 22, 1989. Also, requires compliance with the Military Selective Service Act as a precondition for state employment or enrollment in a public institution of higher learning. Signed by Gov. Huckabee in 1997. On Feb. 20, 2001, Gov. Huckabee signed into law a bill which requires men under 26 years old who apply for an Arkansas driver's license, permit, or renewal to be registered with Selective Service. This law became effective on Jan. 1, 2002.

California: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed into law by Gov. Pete Wilson in 1997.

Colorado: Requires statement of compliance from male students born after Dec. 31, 1959, before they are allowed to enroll at a state supported college or university. Gov. Dick Lamm allowed the bill to become law in 1987. On Aug. 8, 2001, a Colorado law became effective requiring men applying for a state driver's license to be registered with Selective Service. Gov. Bill Owens signed the bill on May 30, 2001.

Delaware: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state employment and state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Michael N. Castle in 1986. On Aug. 4, 2000, Gov. Thomas R. Carper signed into law a bill which registers men 18 through 25 with Selective Service when they apply for a Delaware driver's license, permit, or state I.D. card, if they are required under federal law to be so registered.

District of Columbia: On April 27, 2001, Mayor Anthony Williams signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in the District may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a District driver's license.

Florida: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Bob Graham in 1985. A law signed by Gov. Bob Martinez in 1988 requires registration as a precondition for state employment. On July 1, 2001, a Florida law became effective requiring men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. Jeb Bush signed this legislation on June 5, 2001.

Georgia: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Joe Frank Harris in 1986. A law signed by Gov. Zell Miller effective, July 1, 1998, requires proof of registration as a precondition for state employment. On July 1, 2001, a Georgia law became effective which requires men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. Roy Barnes signed this legislation on April 18, 2001.

Guam: On May 3, 2004, Gov. Felix P. Camacho signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in Guam may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver’s license. This law becomes effective on Sept. 1, 2004.

Hawaii: A law became effective on Jan. 1, 2002, requiring Selective Service registration as a condition for applying for and receiving a state driver's license. This law was signed by Gov. Benjamin J. Cayetano on May 3, 2001.

Idaho: Young men must be registered to be eligible for state employment and state enrollment in post secondary institutions, including financial aid for this schooling. Signed by Gov. Dirk Kempthorne on March 26, 1999. On March 21, 2002, Gov. Kempthorne signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in Idaho may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 1, 2002.

Illinois: Enacted two pieces of legislation: One requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid and the other requires registration as a precondition for state employment. Gov. James Thompson signed these in 1984 and 1989, respectively. On Jan. 1, 2002, an Illinois law became effective requiring men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. George Ryan signed this legislation on July 20, 2001.

Indiana: On April 25, 2007, Governor Mitch Daniels signed into law a bill given the option for men 18 through 25 to register with Selective Service when obtaining a state drivers license or an identification card.

Iowa: On April 21, 2003, Gov. Tom Vilsack signed into law a bill that requires Iowa men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 1, 2003.

Kansas: On April 10, 2003, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius signed into law a bill that requires Kansas men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 1, 2003.

Kentucky: State regulations require a statement of Selective Service registration status as a precondition for participating in the state educational loan program. On March 12, 2003, Gov. Paul E. Patton signed into law a bill which registers men 18 through 25 with Selective Service when they apply for a Kentucky driver's license, permit, or state I.D. card, if they are required under federal law to be so registered. This law became effective on July 1, 2003.

Louisiana: Enacted two pieces of legislation. One requires Selective Service registration for entry to any state school. Gov. Edwin Edwards signed this legislation in 1985. The other requires registration to be eligible for certain classified and unclassified state civil service positions. Signed by Gov. Murphy J. (Mike) Foster in 1999. On Jan. 1, 2002, a Louisiana law became effective requiring Louisiana men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. Foster signed this legislation on June 25, 2001.

Maine: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. John McKernan in 1987. Optional drivers license legislation enacted (without governor’s signature) on 5/18/2011.

Maryland: On May 6, 2002, Gov. Parris N. Glendening signed a law requiring Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration to place options on application forms to allow men 18 through 25 years old to register with Selective Service. However, the law never went into effect because it was expressly conditioned on receipt of federal funding.

Massachusetts: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Gov. Michael Dukakis allowed the bill to become law in 1984.

Michigan: On January 4, 2007, Governor Jennifer M. Granholm signed into law a bill that requires men 18 through 25 to be registered to obtain a state driver's license or an identification card.

Minnesota: On May 13,2004, Gov. Tim Pawlenty signed a law requiring Minnesota men to be registered with the SSS as a condition for obtaining a state driver’s license.

Mississippi: Enacted two pieces of legislation. One requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Gov. William Allain signed this legislation in 1984. The other requires registration as a precondition for state employment and was signed by Gov. Kirk Fordice in 1999. On March 19, 2002, Gov. Ronnie Musgrove signed a law requiring Mississippi men to be registered with the SSS as a condition for obtaining a state driver's license. This law became effective on Sept. 1, 2002.

Missouri: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state employment and state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Mel Carnahan on July 14,1999. On July 11, 2002, Gov. Bob Holden signed a law allowing Missouri men to be registered with the SSS when they apply to obtain a state driver’s license or instruction permit application. This law became effective on Aug. 28, 2002.

Montana: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state employment and state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Judy Martz on April 21, 2001.

Nevada: On May 22, 2009, Gov. Jim Gibbons signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in Nevada may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver's license. This law will become effective on July 1, 2010.

New Hampshire: Young men must be registered to be eligible for state employment and state enrollment in post secondary institutions, including financial aid for this schooling. Signed by Gov. Jeanne Shaheen July 31, 1998. On May 8, 2002, Gov. Shaheen signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in New Hampshire may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 7, 2002.

New Jersey: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Gov. Christine Todd Whitman signed this legislation in 1997.

New Mexico: On April 9, 2003, Gov. Bill Richardson signed into law a bill that requires New Mexico men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 1, 2003.

New York: On Sept. 17, 2002, Gov. George E. Pataki signed into law a bill that requires New York men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on March 17, 2003.

North Carolina: Enacted two pieces of legislation: One requires Selective Service registration for certain veterans’ dependents financial aid programs and the other requires registration as a precondition for state employment and state educational assistance. Gov. James Martin signed these bills in 1985 and 1989. On October 17, 2002, Gov. Michael Easley signed into law a bill that requires North Carolina men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on April 01, 2003.

North Dakota: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for student financial aid. Signed by Gov. George Sinner in 1987.

Northern Mariana Islands: Requires Selective Service registration as a prerequisite to employment with the Commonwealth government. Signed by Gov. Pedro P. Tenorio, the legislation became effective March 15, 1999. A law signed on Nov. 30, 2001, by Gov. Tenorio requires young men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a driver's license or renewal.

Ohio: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Requires any resident male not registered with Selective Service to pay out of state tuition rate. Gov. Richard Celeste allowed this bill to become law in 1986. On Nov. 2, 2001, Gov. Bob Taft signed a law requiring Ohio men to be registered with the SSS as a condition for obtaining a state driver's license. This law became effective on Aug. 1, 2002.

Oklahoma: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Henry Bellmon in 1987. On June 1, 2000, Gov. Frank Keating signed into law a requirement that Oklahoma men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license or permit.

Puerto Rico: Optional drivers license legislation signed into law by the governor on 12/12/2011.

Rhode Island: On June 26, 2002, a bill became law requiring Rhode Island men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license or permit.

South Carolina: On June 5, 2002, Gov. Jim Hodges signed into law a bill that requires South Carolina men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license.

South Dakota: Requires Selective Service registration before acceptance to all state schools and as a precondition to state employment. Signed by Gov. George S. Mickelson in 1988. On Feb. 23, 2002, Gov. William J. Janklow signed a law requiring South Dakota men to be registered with the SSS as a condition for obtaining a state driver's license.

Tennessee: Requires Selective Service registration before acceptance to all state schools. Signed by Gov. Lamar Alexander in 1984. Registration is also required as a precondition for state employment. Gov. Ned McWherter signed this legislation in 1987. On May 29, 2002, Gov. Don Sundquist signed a law requiring Tennessee men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on Dec. 1, 2002.

Texas: Requires men to be in compliance with the registration requirement to be eligible for state student financial assistance. The law was passed in 1997. Effective Sept. 1, 1999, state employment is contingent upon Selective Service registration or exemption. On June 15, 2001, Gov. Rick Perry signed a law stipulating that men 18 through 25 years old in Texas may register with the SSS when they apply to obtain or renew a state driver's license. This law became effective on Dec. 9, 2002. Automatic drivers license legislation signed into law by the governor on 5/28/2011.

Utah: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. Michael O. Leavitt in March 1998. On March 15, 2001, Gov. Leavitt signed into law a bill conditioning receipt of a Utah driver's license or state identification card on SSS registration for men required to be registered. The law became effective on April 30, 2001.

Virgin Islands: Was signed on Feb. 20, 2002, by Gov. Charles Turnbull requires young men in the Commonwealth, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a driver's license or renewal.

Virginia: Enacted two pieces of legislation. One requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for student financial aid. Signed by Gov. James Gilmore on April 14, 1998, and became effective July 1, 1998. The other requires registration as a precondition for state employment and was signed by Gov. Gilmore April 5, 1999. On March 6, 2002, Gov. Mark Warner signed into law a bill which requires men to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. This law became effective on July 2, 2002.

Washington: Washington State became the 39th Drivers License Legislation state enacted and signed by Governor Christine Gregoire on May 16, 2011, as an optional legislation.

West Virginia: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid and state employment. Gov. Cecil H. Underwood signed the bill April 8, 1999, to become effective July 1, 1999. On June 9, 2002, a West Virginia law became effective which gives men the option to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a state driver's license. Gov. Bob Wise signed this legislation on April 2, 2002.

Wisconsin: Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state employment and state student financial aid. The bill was signed by Gov. Scott McCallum on Aug. 30, 2001 and became effective Jan. 1, 2002. On April 22, 2002, Gov. McCullum signed into law a bill requiring Wisconsin men, 18 through 25 years old, to be registered with Selective Service to obtain a driver's license or renewal. This law became effective on Nov. 1, 2002.

http://www.sss.gov/fsstateleg.htm

angelatc
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Pathetic.

eduardo89
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Which states? I have a DL and I did NOT sign up. I live in CA.

California is one of the few states that does not require Selective Service registration for a driver's license:

As of October 25, 2013, 40 states, 4 territories, and the District of Columbia have enacted driver’s license laws supporting SSS registration.

They are: (1) Enacted and Implemented – Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, and the District of Columbia;

(2) Enacted But Not Yet Implemented – Maine, Maryland, and Puerto Rico.

http://www.sss.gov/Fsdrivers.htm

04-22-2014, 05:34 PM
I never signed up. I recall getting some sort of application in the mail at 18. I threw it out. Nothing ever happened. I had a NJ driver's license in my teens and 20's and never applied for any sort of student aid.

dntrpltt
04-22-2014, 06:51 PM
I signed up by mail after I turned 18, and wrote "I AM A CO" in the margins. (I would have been signed up automatically upon getting a license, at least this way my beliefs are "registered" to an extent.) This site may answer a few of your questions: http://www.centeronconscience.org/co/conscientious-objection-and-the-draft.html

fr33
04-22-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they automatically sign you up when you fill out the paperwork. I vaguely recall them mentioning that to me or reading a disclaimer that that was the case.

Eduardo mentioned something about 19 states having that requirement, perhaps Ohio was one of them.

It's been a few years so I don't really remember. I never went out of my way to fill out Selective Service papers but am positive that I am registered. How exactly that happened I have little recollection of.

Yeah apparently it varies from state to state. I remember renewing my license when I was 17 or 18 and the lady asking if I wanted to fill out the selective service paperwork and me telling her no. It came in the mail later and I threw it away.

AFPVet
04-22-2014, 08:07 PM
But googling it, I found a couple of guys who were older than 26 and couldn't get student loans because they had not signed up back in the day.

Yes, but they don't need to since the GI Bill covers them. The Chapter 30 MGIB sucked—and I had to pay out extra due to books and all, but when we converted to Chapter 33, it covered all of my tuition, books, and housing costs.

osan
04-22-2014, 10:22 PM

If you do not want to, don't.

If you don't, you will be ineligible for government jobs... whoopdie frikkin' doo. You cannot get government student loans... whoopdie frikkin' doo.

Be aware that if you do register, you tacitly acknowledge the legitimacy of Theire authority over you. So the real question is this: what price have you placed on your soul? If politics is that important to you, then register; but when you're in Afghanistan or some other hot shit-hole and the shit's flying and you have no idea whether the breath you're taking is your last, dare you not complain of any of it because you willingly and knowingly signed up for it.

Seems you're at a nexus and the decision you make could well shape several aspects of your life for a long time to come. I will not say whether registering (or not) is right or wrong. That decision is up to you. But whatever choice you make, you will have to live with the consequences, so I would strongly recommend you take some alone time to sit in a comfy chair, perhaps with some wine, beer, or whatever relaxes you wihtout dulling your senses, and you take the time and make the effort to decide on what it is you really want in life and what you are willing to pay to get it. Personally, I do not think the decision in question is one to be taken lightly.

oyarde
04-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I signed up by mail after I turned 18, and wrote "I AM A CO" in the margins. (I would have been signed up automatically upon getting a license, at least this way my beliefs are "registered" to an extent.) This site may answer a few of your questions: http://www.centeronconscience.org/co/conscientious-objection-and-the-draft.html

I do not think whoever read your form knows what you meant by CO , lol

oyarde
04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
In some states, you are still subject to militia duty to age 60, but the Samuel Whittemore types have no age limit.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/whittemore.html

Yeah , my State goes quite a bit higher. Then there is another Militia in all counties as well .

oyarde
04-22-2014, 11:09 PM
We have conscription in Mexico. You're supposed to register for military service at 18. I never did it, even though I would be exempt for having dual-citizenship.

I would not exempt you , I would put you in my personal guard , LOL

KCIndy
04-23-2014, 12:06 AM
I do not think whoever read your form knows what you meant by CO , lol

Heh... probably thought he was bucking for "Commanding Officer." :D

Quark
04-23-2014, 05:56 AM
Be aware that if you do register, you tacitly acknowledge the legitimacy of Theire authority over you. So the real question is this: what price have you placed on your soul? If politics is that important to you, then register; but when you're in Afghanistan or some other hot shit-hole and the shit's flying and you have no idea whether the breath you're taking is your last, dare you not complain of any of it because you willingly and knowingly signed up for it.

When you give taxes to the thieves do you tacitly acknowledge the state's authority over you? Are taxes then justified? What about permits and regulations? If you abide by them, and submit to the authority, is it justified and do you have no right to complain, you willingly conceded to it, did you not? I view such logic as akin to the liberal (classically or otherwise) concept of implicit social contracts. Or similar to the argument that voting justifies the state and is inherently immoral (which many anarchists have refuted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-voting#Criticisms).) If one believes in natural law one understands that any contract can be broken at any time, and that slavery is immoral, even in the case in which the participant signed a paper declaring himself as a slave. So I do, very much, disagree with the assessment that one "willingly" or "voluntarily" signed up for the draft when threatened with coercion or force (see below) just as I disagree with the concept that we pay voluntary taxes because we choose that over imprisonment. Even if it were to be true that we accepted the draft, we can remove our consent and participation any time we wish, if it were truly voluntary. So it is a disservice to minimize and remove the presence of coercion in this matter, as it is there.

https://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years.

dntrpltt
04-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Lol I spelled it out on the form, but I figured I could shorten it in my response here. :p

greyseal
04-25-2014, 09:42 AM
THE SELECTIVE SEVICE ACT IS FOR THE ARMED FORCES
§ 451. SHORT TITLE; CONGRESSIONAL DECLARATION OF POLICY
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode50a/usc_sec_50a_00000451----000-.html

How Current is This?
(a) This Act may be cited as the “Military Selective Service Act”.
(b) The Congress declares that an adequate armed strength must be achieved and maintained to insure the security of this Nation.
(c) The Congress further declares that in a free society the obligations and privileges of serving in the *armed forces and the reserve components thereof should be shared generally, in accordance with a system of selection which is fair and just, and which is consistent with the maintenance of an effective national economy.
The “Armed Forces is not the Military
There is no such “committee” in Congress to oversee the “Armed Forces”, there is just the Armed Services, chaired by Carl Levin it’s a word game.
The chartered Armed Services “Corporation”, was renamed “Armed Forces’ in 1947, same whore, just a different dress.
The selective Service for the Armed Services, now Armed Forces, was for promotion to higher “pay scale’, not for Military Service, Military induction is through Congress, not a “chartered” Corporation
The “Selective Service “ form has no authorized OMB control number, it’s a bogus form
The “Armed Services” is a “chartered “ “for profit” Corporation. See below
Charter
ARMED SERVICES BOARD OF CONTRACT APPEALS
http://www.asbca.mil/Charter/charter.html

Approved 1 May 1962
Revised 1 May 1969
Revised 1 September 1973
Revised 1 July 1979
Revised 14 May 2007

Charter
1. There is created the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals which is hereby designated as the authorized representative of the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of the Army, the Secretary of the Navy and the Secretary of the Air Force, in hearing, considering and determining appeals by contractors from decisions of contracting officers or their authorized representatives or other authorities on disputed questions. These appeals may be taken (a) pursuant to the Contract Disputes Act of 1978 (41 U.S.C. Section 7101-7109), (b) pursuant to the provisions of contracts requiring the decision by the Secretary of Defense or by a Secretary of a Military Department or their duly authorized representative, or (c) pursuant to the provisions of any directive whereby the Secretary of Defense or the Secretary of a Military Department or their authorized representative has granted a right of appeal not contained in the contract on any matter consistent with the contract appeals procedure. The Board may determine contract disputes for other departments and agencies by agreement as permitted by law. The Board shall operate under general policies established or approved by the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics and may perform other duties as directed not inconsistent with the Contract Disputes Act of 1978.
Published at 48 CFR Chapter 2, Appendix A, Part 1

Who wrote the selective Service form? These guys!
ELECTRONIC CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS
e-CFR Data is current as of April 23, 2014
Browse Previous | Browse Next
Title 48: Federal Acquisition Regulations System
PART 1—FEDERAL ACQUISITION REGULATIONS SYSTEM
Subpart 1.1—Purpose, Authority, Issuance
The purpose of defining the Federal Acquisition Team (Team) in the Guiding Principles is to ensure that participants in the System are identified—beginning with the customer and ending with the contractor of the product or service. By identifying the team members in this manner, teamwork, unity of purpose, and open communication among the members of the Team in sharing the vision and achieving the goal of the System are encouraged. Individual team members will participate in the acquisition process at the appropriate time.
[60 FR 34734, July 3, 1995]

For questions or comments regarding e-CFR editorial content, features, or design, email ecfr@nara.gov.
For questions concerning e-CFR programming and delivery issues, email webteam@gpo.gov.

fr33
04-26-2014, 01:14 AM
When you give taxes to the thieves do you tacitly acknowledge the state's authority over you? Are taxes then justified? What about permits and regulations? If you abide by them, and submit to the authority, is it justified and do you have no right to complain, you willingly conceded to it, did you not? I view such logic as akin to the liberal (classically or otherwise) concept of implicit social contracts. Or similar to the argument that voting justifies the state and is inherently immoral (which many anarchists have refuted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-voting#Criticisms).) If one believes in natural law one understands that any contract can be broken at any time, and that slavery is immoral, even in the case in which the participant signed a paper declaring himself as a slave. So I do, very much, disagree with the assessment that one "willingly" or "voluntarily" signed up for the draft when threatened with coercion or force (see below) just as I disagree with the concept that we pay voluntary taxes because we choose that over imprisonment. Even if it were to be true that we accepted the draft, we can remove our consent and participation any time we wish, if it were truly voluntary. So it is a disservice to minimize and remove the presence of coercion in this matter, as it is there.

https://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

Rawr. I can see the similarities between the SS and the things you posted. For me not signing up was a convenient act of disobedience since I wasn't going to get student loans anyway.

LibForestPaul
04-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Yes, it's the law.

"It's the law."

hehe.

You do it not because it is legal or the law, you do it so you do not get your ass beat and tazed. Nothing legal or lawful about having to register.

The Selective Service Act of 1917 (40 Stat. 76) was passed by the 65th United States Congress on May 18, 1917 creating the Selective Service System.[8] The Act gave the President the power to conscript men for military service.
Do you believe it is lawful to be conscript? Only for men? For military service? And by the Presidential power.
of course not.
Does not matter that it is illegal. Do you want your ass beat and tazed?

As a humanist, I do not WANT your ass beat and tazed.

ProIndividual
04-26-2014, 12:15 PM
I signed up back when I turned 18...but that doesn't change the fact I would rather go to prison or face a firing squad than fight in a war that I don't personally think is justified self defense of my fellow countrymen.

If they ever re-institute the draft, they are going to be very disappointed with me.