PDA

View Full Version : IN - Cop dog attacks cop, gets shot.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Fishers police dog fatally shot after attacking officer

http://fox59.com/2014/04/17/fishers-police-dog-fatally-shot-after-attack/#ixzz2zApoaDE9

FISHERS (April 17, 2014) – A Fishers police dog had to be put down after attacking an off-duty police officer Wednesday afternoon.

The incident happened Wednesday at the officer’s residence in northern Hamilton County. Officer Tracy Saxhaug was taking care of the K-9, Arrack, when a vehicle drove into the driveway. The dog went into a defensive stance and bit the officer’s right arm, police said. Saxhaug couldn’t get the dog to release and called a family member for help. Hamilton County dispatchers received the call around 4:20 p.m. Wednesday.

The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department arrived at the home. A deputy tried to get Arrack to release Saxhaug but was unsuccessful. The deputy was forced to shoot and kill the dog.

Saxhaug suffered puncture wounds and bruises on her arm. She was taken to Tipton IU Hospital, and has since been released. She’s expected to make a full recovery. The deputy was not hurt.

Fishers police will conduct an internal review of the case that will include a necropsy report from Purdue University.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 01:36 PM
You or I shoot a kop-dog and it's the same thing as shooting a kop...

Kop does it.........Oh-well..:mad:

jclay2
04-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Can someone more informed on police dog's comment on this? Seems more like a kid with his tongue stuck on an icy pole than a life or death situation from the way the article was written. However, this might have actually been one of the 0.00001% when a shooting was justified if the officer was truly hurt and the dog would not let go. Though, that brings up another question, why would someone be taking care of an attack dog that turns on its owner? Or, what did the cop do to anger the dog?

mrsat_98
04-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Good dog, maybe they will think twice about what that dog can do to someone next time , but I doubt it.

Dr.3D
04-17-2014, 01:49 PM
Obviously Attack didn't appreciate how Tracy was caking care of him.

Edit:

Interesting last name for a cop.... "Saxhaug"
I wonder how that is pronounced.

Like a pig with a saxophone?

fisharmor
04-17-2014, 01:50 PM
You or I shoot a kop-dog and it's the same thing as shooting a kop...

Kop does it.........Oh-well..:mad:

If it was a human cop attacking another human cop then the attacker would have gotten away with it.

JK/SEA
04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
pepper spray won't work on a dog?

edit....i mean a police officer dog...or dog police officer...not sure.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Can someone more informed on police dog's comment on this? Seems more like a kid with his tongue stuck on an icy pole than a life or death situation from the way the article was written. However, this might have actually been one of the 0.00001% when a shooting was justified if the officer was truly hurt and the dog would not let go. Though, that brings up another question, why would someone be taking care of an attack dog that turns on its owner? Or, what did the cop do to anger the dog?

I've never had a problem prying open a Sheppard's jaws, Rotts-n-Mastiffs are another story though..

Tod
04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
pepper spray won't work on a dog?

edit....i mean a police officer dog...or dog police officer...not sure.

Not very effective with many dogs. Neither, interestingly, are tasers particularly effective with many dogs.

DamianTV
04-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Know what else is effective? Dont train the dog like that to begin with!

What helps getting people to do that? Dont train cops to be aggressive like that to begin with!

RJB
04-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Wow! What to ask?

Was the officer OK?

Canine or human Officer?

Henry Rogue
04-17-2014, 04:10 PM
There's some justice in that story, somewhere.

Pericles
04-17-2014, 04:14 PM
There's some justice in that story, somewhere.

The dog may have made an assessment as to who the real enemy is.

RJB
04-17-2014, 04:35 PM
The dog may have made an assessment as to who the real enemy is.
Very true. They can sense thing we can't My dog loves everyone. If a rare person gets her mad, I usually regard the person with a sense of suspicion.

This is why dogs react bad to police officers entering a house (and get shot.) The dogs sense the malicious intent of the officer.

Red Green
04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
You know, they have IQ tests to keep intelligent people from becoming cops (pigs). I think they probably need to do the same with their dogs. This dog was obviously too smart to take orders from pigs.