PDA

View Full Version : 86M Full-Time Private-Sector Workers Sustain 148M Benefit Takers

CaseyJones
04-16-2014, 03:53 PM
http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/86m-full-time-private-sector-workers-sustain-148m-benefit-takers

Buried deep on the website of the U.S. Census Bureau is a number every American citizen, and especially those entrusted with public office, should know. It is 86,429,000.

That is the number of Americans who in 2012 got up every morning and went to work — in the private sector — and did it week after week after week.

These are the people who built America, and these are the people who can sustain it as a free country. The liberal media have not made them famous like the polar bear, but they are truly a threatened species.

It is not a rancher with a few hundred head of cattle that is attacking their habitat, nor an energy company developing a fossil fuel. It is big government and its primary weapon — an ever-expanding welfare state.

First, let's look at the basic taxonomy of the full-time, year-round American worker.

more at link

Carson
04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
That's why when you look at the National Debt you have to take in to consideration if you work or not.

"The estimated population of the United States is 318,037,523
so each citizen's share of this debt is $55,275.12"

I figure about a third do. That would make it about $165,825.36 your paying off.

If you use CaseyJones's numbers it is closer to $203,398.10.

So when your stretching to pay the measly inflation they lie and tell us we have your standing on a rug of debt that is pulling you along in the other direction.

2young2vote
04-16-2014, 06:26 PM
How many of those full time workers are receiving benefits?

ClydeCoulter
04-17-2014, 06:25 AM
These are the people who built America, and these are the people who can sustain it as a free country. The liberal media have not made them famous like the polar bear, but they are truly a threatened species.

No, no, no. Let's not divide people even further.

While they may be the ones that still have jobs, and get up to go to work every morning, many of them also sustain an out of control system.

Inflation, unnecessary wars, corruption, a huge stack of unconstitutional laws, unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies, and regulations interpreted ad hoc, have already and continue to strangle this nation.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 06:58 AM
I'm betting that half of these so called "private sector" jobs are directly dependent on government money..

It's a scary mess we're in...

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
This isn't exactly fair because a lot of those "benefit takers" worked their whole lives and paid taxes in to the system to give them benefits to begin with

AnarchoCapitalist
04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
This isn't exactly fair because a lot of those "benefit takers" worked their whole lives and paid taxes in to the system to give them benefits to begin with

Lol good one ...

AuH20
04-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Not voting your way out of a vicious cycle of patronage. Not gonna happen.

Zippyjuan
04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
No, no, no. Let's not divide people even further.

While they may be the ones that still have jobs, and get up to go to work every morning, many of them also sustain an out of control system.

Inflation, unnecessary wars, corruption, a huge stack of unconstitutional laws, unelected and unaccountable bureaucracies, and regulations interpreted ad hoc, have already and continue to strangle this nation.

So everybody should quit their jobs right now and life in the country would be better?

Note that the "receives benefits" includes people not actually receiving benefits. The figure they use is highly inflated.

In the last quarter of 2011, according to the Census Bureau, approximately 82,457,000 people lived in households where one or more people were on Medicaid. 49,073,000 lived in households were someone got food stamps. 23,228,000 lived in households where one or more got WIC. 20,223,000 lived in households where one or more got SSI. 13,433,000 lived in public or government-subsidized housing.

If grannie lives with you and gets social security, everybody in the house is counted as being on benefits- even if nobody else in the home is getting anything- all are counted. If one person received a subsidized school lunch, everybody in the house is counted as receiving benefits. One person on a government student loan? Entire household is considered on government benefits. Got a tax break for installing energy efficient appliances? Family is on government aid. This is how they get a figure of about half the US population on government benefits.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2013/10/25/great-more-americans-on-welfare-than-working-full-time-n1731984

The 69 means-tested programs operated by the federal government provide a wide variety of benefits. They include:

12 programs providing food aid;

10 housing assistance programs;

10 programs funding social services;

9 educational assistance programs;

8 programs providing cash assistance;

8 vocational training programs;

7 medical assistance programs;

3 energy and utility assistance programs; and,

2 child care and child development programs.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM
So everybody should quit their jobs right now and life in the country would be better?

If your job is dependent on my tax dollars then you are a tax-tick, And yes, you should have some self respect and drive and get off your ass and produce anything.

Zippyjuan
04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
They were talking about full time public sector jobs (and ignoring part time workers completely). Do public sector workers get paid by taxpayers?

tod evans
04-17-2014, 12:02 PM
They were talking about full time public sector jobs (and ignoring part time workers completely). Do public sector workers get paid by taxpayers?

General Dynamics is considered "private/public sector" by some........

Take away the tax dollars and they're out of business, 1000's of other "private" companies too...

Zippyjuan
04-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Ah. They can walk away and find a new job no problem. Or go on unemployment along with the other jobless. I thought the idea was to reduce the numbers on benefits.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Ah. They can walk away and find a new job no problem. Or go on unemployment along with the other jobless. I thought the idea was to reduce the numbers on benefits.

I could care less what they do, it's not my problem.

All those "jobs" are is make-work for the war machine, either the one overseas or the one right here at home..

You'll not garner one grunion of sympathy from me!

Zippyjuan
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
So you don't care how many people are on government benefits from your tax dollars. Interesting.

Ah. They can walk away and find a new job no problem. Or go on unemployment along with the other jobless.

I could care less what they do, it's not my problem.

tod evans
04-17-2014, 12:20 PM
So you don't care how many people are on government benefits from your tax dollars. Interesting.

Yeah Zippy that's what I said..:rolleyes:

Fucking idiot..

Boshembechle
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
That is a chicken poop misleading title. I work, but am counted as one of the takers because I need government to help me where the free market couldn't. (Health care)

AuH20
04-17-2014, 01:01 PM
That is a chicken poop misleading title. I work, but am counted as one of the takers because I need government to help me where the free market couldn't. (Health care)

True, but we are not operating within a free market. We have subsidized HMOs and PPOs distorting market prices thanks to overregulation in many cases. If you have the time, you can read this piece which covers the ascent of socialized healthcare in this country. Socialized healthcare = layers of waste that could have been used towards treating the actual patients:

http://capitalismmagazine.com/1999/11/the-history-of-hmos/

The individual was first discouraged from buying insurance in 1942 when employee health premiums were made tax deductible to employers–not to individuals. Congress created Medicare in 1965, making individual insurance for those over 65 obsolete. Subsidized, unrestricted health care for seniors lead to an unprecedented frenzy of spending by patients and doctors.

Costs went up, introducing an economic obstacle to individual health insurance. As costs rose, those on the New Left, including then freshman Sen. Ted Kennedy, argued that government ought to pay for everyone’s health care and promoted the idea of a health maintenance organization, a term coined by a left-wing college professor.

President Nixon appeased the left and proposed the HMO Act, which Congress passed in 1973. The law created new, supposedly cheaper health coverage with millions of dollars to HMOs, which, until then, constituted a small portion of the market. Kaiser Permanente was the only major HMO in the country by 1969 and most of its members were compelled to join through unions.

Combined with Medicare, the HMO Act eventually eliminated the market for affordable individual health insurance.

The new managed care plans mushroomed with federal subsidies. Employers perceived managed care as less expensive than individual insurance and stopped offering a choice of plans, making insurance more expensive for the individual. The government had effectively instituted HMOs, at the insistence of the left and the capitulation of conservatives and pragmatic businessmen.

Nixon’s HMO Act was passed 25 years ago. Since then, the individual has become a prisoner of the tax code. Covered by an employer and herded into managed care, the individual patient is powerless. Under managed care, if the patient gets sick, he or she may wander the maze of managed bureaucracy, be treated, or, languish in pain awaiting treatment. The patient may also be refused treatment and die.

Premiums under managed care do not pay for an insured contract for medical care decided between the patient and the physician–premiums pay for the management of care, i.e., health maintenance, by a third party.

jclay2
04-17-2014, 01:17 PM

Clearly, the poster was implying that we shouldn't be supporting these workers in any shape or form and that government anything should be reduced as much as possible. Try using some commonsense next time when responding to posters. You don't have to detail everything into minutia to catch the drift of a poster.

Carson
04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/HalfThePeople.png

DamianTV
04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/stokeybob/morestuff/HalfThePeople.png

Looks like we are well beyond that tipping point now...

Carson
04-17-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm reminded once of a preacher I saw on television. I don't remember if it was the news or what. Anyway he was helping out someone that needed some food or cash. I don't remember which, but someone ask him if he thought the person was taking advantage of him. The preacher said maybe. He said about half of the people that come to him really need the help. Rather than try and figure out which ones he just helped them all.

Then again the country isn't a church. It can't be run as a charity. At least not past the point where we are counterfeiting cash to keep it afloat. That would be the point it is all over and time to move on.

oyarde
04-18-2014, 06:43 PM

Good luck with that . Sounds like just short of making a deal with the devil for your soul .

ghengis86
04-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm reminded once of a preacher I saw on television. I don't remember if it was the news or what. Anyway he was helping out someone that needed some food or cash. I don't remember which, but someone ask him if he thought the person was taking advantage of him. The preacher said maybe. He said about half of the people that come to him really need the help. Rather than try and figure out which ones he just helped them all.

Then again the country isn't a church. It can't be run as a charity. At least not past the point where we are counterfeiting cash to keep it afloat. That would be the point it is all over and time to move on.

OT, but relevant to your post: if you have a vested interest in what some one does with the help you give them, it's not charity.

Back on topic: that which is cannot be sustained will cease to be.

thoughtomator
04-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Government debt is inherently odious. It should not be repaid, ever. Those who invest in the bondage of their own posterity deserve to lose everything.

Carson
04-18-2014, 08:33 PM
Government debt is inherently odious. It should not be repaid, ever. Those who invest in the bondage of their own posterity deserve to lose everything.

I think a lot of them did.

I'm thinking that was what the, Too big to fail, thing was about. Then while our economy started to recover some because of a dollar with more value they yanked the rug out from under us and inflated the dollar bailing themselves out.

MRK
04-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Actually, the free market can take care of you. There are probably a hundred countries you could go to where you would be able to afford healthcare if you are able to also afford to eat, most of which have far less involvement in healthcare than the US government does.

The problem is, the lack of a free market in healthcare in the United States is preventing you from being able to purchase affordable healthcare. For example, in the country I am in which has next to $0 public expenditures on healthcare and next to no healthcare regulations, I can walk down the street and get a CT scan for $60, whereas in the US the equivalent has cost me over $2,500.

Sorry you're having trouble in the USSA. If you want to know what a free market in healthcare looks like you're going to have to go elsewhere.

Carson
04-19-2014, 12:50 AM

I don't think anyone should take it personal. We've all been on the taking end at one time or other.

I think the thing is that the biggest takers right now aren't the man out of work or needing some sort of other help. I think the biggest takers or the ones that have spent what ever it takes to get their way and plenty for their personal habits besides. They have taken so much for their whims, honest work no longer pays.

We all just need to get back on track.

P.S. Boshembechle,

If you get a chance take a look at the graph I have posted in the middle and embiggen it. Even before we had a central bank we introduced fake money into the system during times of war and devalued the dollar. See how the bumps rise?

The one thing allowing a central bank has done is to make the process run out of control. We have wars now on everything and they are stripping away more than, I would think, the truly needy ever have.

Weston White
04-19-2014, 02:43 AM
Social justice, it is what a nation’s citizens are left with once their government begins acting as if it were a congregation and their church as if it were their government’s subsidized incorporation.